Sabres on NBC-NBCSN 5 Times Next Season

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone trying to make a direct comparison of Crosby at 17 and McDavid at 17 based on those numbers is missing a very important point. Crosby was 7 months younger in that season they are using. So if you want to claim they're the same age, you'd actually have to go back to McDavid's numbers from around April of last season. And that is completely ignoring that we're talking about only 14 games and that they were played in different junior leagues. Crosby's QMJHL has always had a reputation of being more high scoring/less defense. Crosby's 16 year old numbers (135 points in 59 games, 2.29 ppg) were miles ahead of McDavid's (99 in 56, 1.77 ppg), but again, I think it's not the most useful of comparisons.

Another thing I'm not sure about is how the talent level of the two teams matched up. Erie does have another top 5 draft prospect in Strome. After a quick look at Rimouski's roster, I don't really recognize any of Crosby's teammates. Both guys numbers show them to be assist guys, so that is definitely going to be driven by how many finishers they have around them.

edit: I hope this doesn't look like I'm trying to shoot down McDavid because I'm not. I want him on this team but I don't see the point of this comparison.

Edited by shrader

http://www.cbssports...skid-in-chicago

Edmonton Oilers at Buffalo Sabres, 7:00 p.m. ET

Connor McDavid game of the night: How the Buffalo Sabres have even won three games this season is a bit of a mystery. They appear to be even worse than they were a year ago, have scored only 17 goals in 14 games and have what is by far the league's worst goal differential at minus-28. The next worst team is their opponent on Friday night, the Edmonton Oilers, at minus-16. This is definitely the Connor McDavid game of the night where it pays to lose. Pick: Oilers 4, Sabres 1

teams close to them too have been winning. Columbus currently is the biggest threat, but no way that team is worst in the league.

I do think the Sabres can/may put it together at some point this season and have a decent month. These October/November games are just as big as March!

Its looking good though

teams close to them too have been winning. Columbus currently is the biggest threat, but no way that team is worst in the league.

I do think the Sabres can/may put it together at some point this season and have a decent month. These October/November games are just as big as March!

Its looking good though

Columbus has to get healthy at some point. I'm not really sure who is the serious contender at this point for dead last. I'd consider putting Edmonton there because of their recent history, but they seem just streaky enough to move away from us.

Did Edmonton keep winning the lottery, Cleveland Cavalier style, in order to have the first pick so many times? How often were they last in the league?

2014: 3rd last, Panthers won lottery

2012: 2nd last, won the lottery

2011: Last place, Devils won lottery (moving up 4 places as a result)

2010: Last place, won the lottery

So they got lucky two years in a row, 2011 and 2012. The lottery was different then, where the winner could move up at most 4 slots, so that Devils win allowed them to keep the #1 pick. Then obviously the leapfrog in 2012 was lucky... but that Yakupov pick looks iffy right now.

They won a lot, but their timing was pretty crappy. Hall has been a very good player, but Yakupov and Nugent-Hopkins really weren't the big end elite prospects you'd hope to see when you're picking #1.

2014: 3rd last, Panthers won lottery

2012: 2nd last, won the lottery

2011: Last place, Devils won lottery (moving up 4 places as a result)

2010: Last place, won the lottery

So they got lucky two years in a row, 2011 and 2012. The lottery was different then, where the winner could move up at most 4 slots, so that Devils win allowed them to keep the #1 pick. Then obviously the leapfrog in 2012 was lucky... but that Yakupov pick looks iffy right now.

They won a lot, but their timing was pretty crappy. Hall has been a very good player, but Yakupov and Nugent-Hopkins really weren't the big end elite prospects you'd hope to see when you're picking #1.

Thanks. Very interesting info!

I read Sunday's Buffalo News tonight and there was an article interviewing Crosby about all this. What was shocking to me was that the Penguins got him with only a 6% chance.

Anyone trying to make a direct comparison of Crosby at 17 and McDavid at 17 based on those numbers is missing a very important point. Crosby was 7 months younger in that season they are using. So if you want to claim they're the same age, you'd actually have to go back to McDavid's numbers from around April of last season. And that is completely ignoring that we're talking about only 14 games and that they were played in different junior leagues. Crosby's QMJHL has always had a reputation of being more high scoring/less defense. Crosby's 16 year old numbers (135 points in 59 games, 2.29 ppg) were miles ahead of McDavid's (99 in 56, 1.77 ppg), but again, I think it's not the most useful of comparisons.

Another thing I'm not sure about is how the talent level of the two teams matched up. Erie does have another top 5 draft prospect in Strome. After a quick look at Rimouski's roster, I don't really recognize any of Crosby's teammates. Both guys numbers show them to be assist guys, so that is definitely going to be driven by how many finishers they have around them.

edit: I hope this doesn't look like I'm trying to shoot down McDavid because I'm not. I want him on this team but I don't see the point of this comparison.

During Crosby's era, the QMJHL was a "small guy skating league". The reason you don't recognize most of the players he played with is because of the 3 Major Junior leagues, the "Q" during that era produced the fewest NHL players. I haven't followed major junior as closely over the last few years as I used to but the Q was by far the bastard stepchild of the WHL and OHL back then.

There are just so many factors to consider when comparing players across leagues and eras but McDavid is head and shoulders above pretty much everyone in the world in his age group and there are literally zero questions about whether he's going to be an impact NHL player. That's as rare as it gets.

Terriers' Eichel passes first test against rival Eagles

By Mike G. Morreale - NHL.com Staff Writer

The Battle For Commonwealth Avenue was everything Boston University freshman Jack Eichel expected.

An announced sellout of 7,884 fans packed Conte Forum on the campus on Boston College on Friday for the nationally televised game between two of the biggest hockey rivals in the nation. In the end, Boston University overcame three one-goal deficits to rally to a 5-3 victory.

Eichel, an A-rated skater on NHL Central Scouting's preliminary players to watch list, scored once, generated five of BU's 26 shots and finished with a plus-3 rating. His goal 12:15 into the third period pulled Boston University into a 3-3 tie. On the game-tying goal, Eichel won a draw in the offensive zone back to fellow freshman Brandon Fortunato at the point and skated towards the slot. Fortunato fed across to freshman Brandon Hickey, who took a shot that Eichel deftly deflected past Boston College goalie Thatcher Demko (Vancouver Canucks). It was Eichel's fifth goal in six games.

FOLLOW 2015 DRAFT BLOG

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

During Crosby's era, the QMJHL was a "small guy skating league". The reason you don't recognize most of the players he played with is because of the 3 Major Junior leagues, the "Q" during that era produced the fewest NHL players. I haven't followed major junior as closely over the last few years as I used to but the Q was by far the bastard stepchild of the WHL and OHL back then.

There are just so many factors to consider when comparing players across leagues and eras but McDavid is head and shoulders above pretty much everyone in the world in his age group and there are literally zero questions about whether he's going to be an impact NHL player. That's as rare as it gets.

I don't think the Q will ever shake that reputation. Still, I was surprised to see no one of value on the team with him. I thought I remembered there being some high powered line with one of the Kostitsyn brothers, but upon further review, that was Kane. That goes right along with Q's reputation though, I just assumed the soft lazy forward from Belarus played in the Q instead of the OHL.

McDavid is going to be fun to watch when he gets to this level and I really hope it is here. I can't help but think about Pittsburgh drafting Malkin 2nd one year and then Crosby 1st the next. Reinhart doesn't belong in the same sentence as the other three, but he and McDavid would be one hell of a Pittsburgh-like building block.

http://youtu.be/PIAXoESvfyw

McDavid injured his hand in a fight today.

@cathalkelly

No official word on Connor McDavid, but according to Erie Otters PR staff: "It's not looking good."

McDavid injured right hand in 2nd period fight. Tossed for removing helmet. It was his first real (i.e. punches thrown) fight of the season.

I'll leave it to you to calibrate on the toughness/dumbness scale, but McDavid won that fight pretty handily.

According to @GoErieHockey, that wasn't just McDavid's first honest-to-God fight this year. It's the first in his OHL career.

@GoErieHockey

Being told @cmcdavid97 has been taken to a hospital for x-rays #erie

Top prospect McDavid out up to six weeks with broken bone in right hand

Connor McDavid will be out five to six weeks with a fractured bone in his right hand, an injury that could put his participation for Canada in the world junior championship in doubt.

The Erie Otters announced Wednesday afternoon that McDavid suffered a fracture of the fifth metacarpal bone in a fight Tuesday night with Mississauga's Bryson Cianfrone. The fractured bone extends from the base of the pinkie finger to the wrist.

McDavid will not require surgery.

Glad to have SJ off the schedule for the rest of the season and only 1Toronto home game remaining. these automatic wins are killing us...

This next series of games should bring things back to tank "normalcy". The team does look much improved as of late however.

yes. They scored 4 goals on 14 shots vs San Jose, and were outshot like 45-22 vs Washington. Not concerned...

There is a balance there. You dont want the team getting their teeth kicked in for 7 straight months setting records for being terrible. Still need to procure last with some bright spots.

Edmonton, Carolina, and Columbus are really tanking things up!

Edmonton shouldn't be allowed any more #1 picks. Even with all the #1s they must have the worst management in the league. 3 #1s in a row and three similar forwards drafted. Not enough brains to snag a couple great dmen to compliment their speed. Bad, bad organization. Please NHL don't allow them to draft McDavid or the Eichel kid. They will only end up lost in the middle of crap team. Edited by Dante