Sabres on NBC-NBCSN 5 Times Next Season

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've underestimated Ted's ability to motivate subpar talent. He's outstanding in that regard. I was afraid this might happen. I find myself getting more conflicted about the tank as they play like they have the last couple weeks, knowing full well they lack the talent to go anywhere.

I cheered that outstanding Ennis goal tonight and caught myself late... This whole scenario sucks.

Edited by SmokinES3

People like to post all the advanced stats, but I'll go with a much more simple one. This team cannot continue to win when they are getting outshot by nearly a 2-to-1 ratio on most nights. It is not sustainable. They will return to normal soon enough.

I hated this tanking idea last year, but now that we're this far into it, I've been on board this year.

Now, they're going to blow it.

What good does it do to win these stupid games. Nobody cares. You can look at the prices on Stubhub to see that.

I hated this tanking idea last year, but now that we're this far into it, I've been on board this year.

Now, they're going to blow it.

What good does it do to win these stupid games. Nobody cares. You can look at the prices on Stubhub to see that.

time to bench Enroth for some "rest" to get him off his game.

buyers or sellers at the deadline?

I believe you were joking, at least I laughed out loud. The only question is Enroth? Does he get traded while his value is increasing or is he someone you can build around. Originally I thought he was nothing more than a very good backup, but he has shown real ability and could be a starter in this league...

Edited by ricojes

I believe you were joking, at least I laughed out loud. The only question is Enroth? Does he get traded while his value is increasing or is he someone you can build around. Originally I thought he was nothing more than a very good backup, but he has shown real ability and could be a starter in this league...

scary part is this may become a real discussion.

This is great

http://media.wgr550.com/a/99755670/12-3-howard-goes-off-about-the-sabres.htm

I heard a little bit of Howard talking to Moulson and he was asking him about the winning and screwing up the 1st round pick. Moulson, a Bills fan, said he was hearing it from everyone at the Bills game this past Sunday. BTW, just listened to the beginning of his rant and I feel the same way. I am watching the game yesterday going yes they win! but really deep down felt like no, they won!

Nice article on a few prospects.

http://thehockeywrit...ont-hear-about/

Edited by ricojes

ISS Top 30 for December

Five prospects crack the ISS Top 30 for December, showing there is much more hockey to prove oneself before the draft. McDavid, Eichel and Hanifin keep the top 3 spots, remaining in elite status.

94c2fa33-dc05-41bb-a7d8-ebf8a41a464d.jpg

ISS #22 ranked Nick Merkley from Kelowna (WHL)

ISS Hockey has released its new monthly rankings of the top prospects eligible for the 2015 NHL Draft. This month's rankings include the top 200 skaters, along with the top 15 goaltenders, as evaluated and ranked by ISS Hockey’s worldwide network of scouts. Below is the ISS Top 30, highlighting the rankings for the top 30 prospects:

1 McDavid, Connor C Erie OHL

2 Eichel, Jack C Boston University H.E.

3 Hanifin, Noah LD Boston College H.E.

4 Strome, Dylan C Erie OHL

5 Werenski, Zach RD Michigan BigTen

6 Barzal, Mathew C Seattle WHL

7 Kylington, Oliver RD Farhestad SweE

8 Zacha, Pavel C Sarnia OHL

9 Crouse, Lawson LW Kingston OHL

10 Marner, Michell C London OHL

Holding on tight to their rankings are McDavid (#1), Eichel (#2) and Hanifin (#3), the Top 3 prospects remain untouchable for this month’s rankings of the ISS Top Prospects. Nick Merkley is the highest of five new additions to the Top 30. Jumping 12 spots from #34 to #22. Merkley enjoyed a strong month of November with 21 points in just 14 games with the WHL’s Kelowna Rockets. Also moving into the top 30 are Tom Novak (#25), Jakub Zboril (#27), Nicolas Meloche (#28) and Thomas Chabot (#30).

"Merkley has top notch hockey IQ”, says ISS Hockey Director of Scouting Dennis MacInnis. “He is a dangerous offensive performer who has the potential to be a point producer at the NHL level.”

ISS Top 30 for December

1 McDavid, Connor C Erie OHL

2 Eichel, Jack C Boston University H.E.

3 Hanifin, Noah LD Boston College H.E.

4 Strome, Dylan C Erie OHL

5 Werenski, Zach RD Michigan BigTen

6 Barzal, Mathew C Seattle WHL

7 Kylington, Oliver RD Farhestad SweE

8 Zacha, Pavel C Sarnia OHL

9 Crouse, Lawson LW Kingston OHL

10 Marner, Michell C London OHL

2 Otters in the top 10 :)

Ethical question to ask: Could Nolan & Gionta "flip a switch" to get this group playing somewhere in the middle of the pack?

Honest answer please.

Not even close to good enough for that to happen. They're a really bad team with marginal talent in too many places on the current roster.

They're not even tanking. The Oilers are just an FN mess.

And, when I first started hearing about this "suffering" idea from Darcy, he kept pointing to the Oilers - and I'm like who wants to be like them?!?

Now that we're this far, I am totally on board with the tank, and those same Oilers are going to suck so bad as to screw us up!

And, when I first started hearing about this "suffering" idea from Darcy, he kept pointing to the Oilers - and I'm like who wants to be like them?!?

Now that we're this far, I am totally on board with the tank, and those same Oilers are going to suck so bad as to screw us up!

The Kings, Penguins, and Blackhawks are the tank models. Canes and Oilers are playing tonight. Time to get back into "1st" place.

Grantland - Today’s Featured Recipe: A Quick and Easy Stanley Cup Championship

Winning a Stanley Cup doesn’t have to be difficult! By following the steps of this simple recipe, anyone can make an impressive run to a championship.

Buffalo Sabres: Whoops. When it came to the tanking, I misread “tsp” as “gallon.” Hope it still works out!

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Friggin Edmonton with 11 losses in a row are tough, though! They know how to get that #1 pick, too!

That just goes to show you how bad the Sabres truly are. After a stretch where Buffalo won 6 of 7 and Edmonton lost 11 in a row, the two teams are still only one game apart in the standings. I guess it's also important to note that it wasn't a true 11 game losing streak. They did take 3 points over those game. Those points are going to be huge if this thing stays close.

I dont remember Regier always pointing out the Oilers as the model.

I do remember Ted Black always using the Blackhawks and Penguins as examples.

The Oilers have been run very, very poorly. They drafted bad overall and completely whiffed outside the 1st round, where it looks like they whiffed on some of their high picks. They have a severe lack of top end defensive prospects or NHL ready d-men, have had the worst goaltending in the league, and the forwards they did get with the high picks are wasting away in their ELCs. They insist on installing ex oilers and keeping them. MacTavish and Lowe are going to get run out of town with pitchforks and torches soon. Katz is a clown as an owner of Charles Wang proportions.

Also, the "tank" portion is nearly over. For the Sabres. 56 more games and we can start watching again and hoping for and demanding better results. Once they make their draft picks this season, then the "build" portion is on. Most prospects will be playing here (Armia, Grig, Eichel/McDavid, Pysyk, McCabe, Reinhart, etc) and they are really going to start to cultivate a winner.

This Summer could also be very interesting. The Sabres have a ton of cap room, a ton of assets for trade, and it is expected due to the Canadian Dollar the Salary Cap could remain stagnant or even drop next year.

So 56 more garbage games.

Edited by May Day 10

I dont remember Regier always pointing out the Oilers as the model.

I do remember Ted Black always using the Blackhawks and Penguins as examples.

The Oilers have been run very, very poorly. They drafted bad overall and completely whiffed outside the 1st round, where it looks like they whiffed on some of their high picks. They have a severe lack of top end defensive prospects or NHL ready d-men, have had the worst goaltending in the league, and the forwards they did get with the high picks are wasting away in their ELCs. They insist on installing ex oilers and keeping them. MacTavish and Lowe are going to get run out of town with pitchforks and torches soon. Katz is a clown as an owner of Charles Wang proportions.

Also, the "tank" portion is nearly over. For the Sabres. 56 more games and we can start watching again and hoping for and demanding better results. Once they make their draft picks this season, then the "build" portion is on. Most prospects will be playing here (Armia, Grig, Eichel/McDavid, Pysyk, McCabe, Reinhart, etc) and they are really going to start to cultivate a winner.

This Summer could also be very interesting. The Sabres have a ton of cap room, a ton of assets for trade, and it is expected due to the Canadian Dollar the Salary Cap could remain stagnant or even drop next year.

So 56 more garbage games.

It would be so much more frustrating to be an Edmonton fan. The whole point of tanking is to get top draft picks, then build around the young talent. They have a couple nice young players, but the talent as a whole is horrible. This should be the last year of the Sabres tanking, whether they get the 1st or 2nd pick or not, it's time to build. I think this summer will be very interesting and exciting as well. A couple good moves and this team could contend for a playoff spot next season and then continue to build off of that.

So, yes 56 more garbage games to go and then it's go time!

i cant wait to get behind this team...i have been in full tank mode and i get ridiculed for it but people just dont understand the significance of it...its for the greater good of our team

Yup. Im there too. Its kind of miserable. I have been there for longer than most, before they even traded Gaustad/Pominville. They needed to do it sooner, but as a bonus we may get Eichel/McDavid anyways and have 3 pix in a ridiculous 1st round.

Its going to work out and all be worth it. They are doing it correctly. There is an embarrassment of riches. Not many teams have fans that let them get away with/accept/cheer for the full scale selling of assets like they have done. Doing it over a longer period of time maximized the returns.

I dont watch the games. Its just not fun hoping they lose. 20 years ago+ at least we would have a lot of entertaining fights to get us through. The NHL this day and age is just so boring if your team really isnt playing for anything.

I dont watch the games. Its just not fun hoping they lose. 20 years ago+ at least we would have a lot of entertaining fights to get us through. The NHL this day and age is just so boring if your team really isnt playing for anything.

I don't watch them as much this year for that reason. They beat the Lightning in the shootout and I am cheering, then 2 minutes later it's remorse. Just sucks to be in this position....