Could Cordy Glenn really start off season on 2nd string?

I wonder if he's the vet who showed up out of shape...

No he wasn't. In fact, it was pointed out by one of the coaches in an interview a month or so ago, that Cordy came into camp in very good condition.

To answer the topics original question, no. Cordy Glenn is the Bills best OL. He will be a starter.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've mentioned a few times (not necessarily in this thread) that the only way to get it done (if they want to move him to OG) would be to sign him to an extension now, then move him.

As he mentioned, that'd be paying Glenn starting LT money to play guard. It'd also likely be taken as being insulting/deceitful.

Next season Glenn will be paid starting LT money to play LT whether it be here or elsewhere.

As he mentioned, that'd be paying Glenn starting LT money to play guard. It'd also likely be taken as being insulting/deceitful.

Next season Glenn will be paid starting LT money to play LT whether it be here or elsewhere.

I have no doubt that's the case. The methodology behind it would be to try to extend him now, while he's coming off of a down year, to get something of a discount.

I'm not saying it would work, or even be in their best interest. I'm simply saying that it's the only way to get him to stay here and play guard.

Not sure this had been mentioned, as I only read about 1/2 of this thread, I'm sorry if it has...

Moving Glenn to guard would significantly decrease our chances of re-signing him. He's played at an acceptable level for years at LT, and when his contract is up, will command LT money. Moving him inside would hit his salary (I believe) about $4M per year... While that would be great for us, I'm pretty sure that wouldn't work for him, and he would most likely walk and sign with a team willing to pay him the LT money to play LT- and you know we aren't going to give him LT money to play G...

If they move him to guard, that means they don't think he's one of the 2 best tackles on the team. That means they wouldn't want to pay him starting tackle money because he wouldn't be worth it in their opinion. I would be pleasantly surprised, or more likely totally shocked if Kujo and Henderson were good enough to start the season at tackle. But if they were both better than Glenn, good for the team. Glenn could decide whats best for him next year as far as a contract goes, just like every free agent does.

:(

IF WE MOVE HIM TO GUARD WE WILL LOSE HIM IN FREE AGENCY

What sense does that make?

Not they I am advocating it in any way, but if he is moved to OG due to another player showing that they are a better LT than Glenn is (and that's a very big "if"), then losing him in FA would basically save $10+M in cap dollar for each of the next bunch of years.

Actually.....yes Cog has played center

Right, but do you really want a guy on a one-year deal, out of football for a year plus, with an attitude problem, who hasn't played the position in years, to anchor your line?

I know Wood had his limitations last year but I have to believe a good deal of that was scheme and frustration with it, along with the turnstiles surrounding him.

Not they I am advocating it in any way, but if he is moved to OG due to another player showing that they are a better LT than Glenn is (and that's a very big "if"), then losing him in FA would basically save $10+M in cap dollar for each of the next bunch of years.

If I was his agent and the Bills did this, I'd hold out Glenn and force a trade. Sounds dirty but it's a dirty business and that move could cost him millions.

Right, but do you really want a guy on a one-year deal, out of football for a year plus, with an attitude problem, who hasn't played the position in years, to anchor your line?

I know Wood had his limitations last year but I have to believe a good deal of that was scheme and frustration with it, along with the turnstiles surrounding him.

Oh I am not advocating that at all....I think it is more to look at "if Wood goes down what do we do next"

Two players with C experience past wood (which is why I liked the resigning of Urbik.......Urbik and Cog....can both play C and both OG positions

If they move him to guard, that means they don't think he's one of the 2 best tackles on the team. That means they wouldn't want to pay him starting tackle money because he wouldn't be worth it in their opinion. I would be pleasantly surprised, or more likely totally shocked if Kujo and Henderson were good enough to start the season at tackle. But if they were both better than Glenn, good for the team. Glenn could decide whats best for him next year as far as a contract goes, just like every free agent does.

Then the woes of the O line would continue.....

You dont get better on the O line by continuing to revolving door it......

It is my hope that they are looking at everyone at every position to see who is versitile enough for a "plan B"

Dibs...yeah I get it....its not what I want either.....the team cannot fall apart if we cannot resign Glenn....I just think

a. We are best served by keeping Glenn and paying him at LT

b. Moving him to OG would most certainly cause Glenn and his agent to be upset

I don't believe it, but if he's really beat out, it helps the Bills financial situaition going forward. But then again, your OL has a rookie and two sophomores in the starting 5.

Just a hunch, but I'm not 100% certain he's in the plans going forward. I thought of this before Rex even came aboard, but with him here, I'm even more curious about the team's plans regarding him. Gilmore will be getting the big-time money next offseason, leaving decisions to be made. Some might suggest they cut Leodis, but if he plays well this year, he's staying IMO. Rex will get to keep his CBs. Either way, interesting situation going forward.

I don't believe it, but if he's really beat out, it helps the Bills financial situaition going forward. But then again, your OL has a rookie and two sophomores in the starting 5.

Just a hunch, but I'm not 100% certain he's in the plans going forward. I thought of this before Rex even came aboard, but with him here, I'm even more curious about the team's plans regarding him. Gilmore will be getting the big-time money next offseason, leaving decisions to be made. Some might suggest they cut Leodis, but if he plays well this year, he's staying IMO. Rex will get to keep his CBs. Either way, interesting situation going forward.

this isn't popular but I have a feeling they are planning for when they will lose him in FA. I think they will make him a fair offer but they won't break the bank like they will for Dareus and Gilmore, and he will leave for more money on open market (don't blame him)

I know that all if this is open to debate and none of us know....but I dont see how this is gonna happen......

Matt Darby was drafted for a reason......Stephon G. will be here.....we have Robey and Cochrel

What we dont have a lot of are quality O linemen

this isn't popular but I have a feeling they are planning for when they will lose him in FA. I think they will make him a fair offer but they won't break the bank like they will for Dareus and Gilmore, and he will leave for more money on open market (don't blame him)

Was thinking this too. When it comes down to Dareus, Gilmore and Glenn, choose two, I take Dareus and Gilmore for sure. Henderson and Kujo would have to show they really were the real deal though.

If I was his agent and the Bills did this, I'd hold out Glenn and force a trade. Sounds dirty but it's a dirty business and that move could cost him millions.

It is my hope that they are looking at everyone at every position to see who is versitile enough for a "plan B"

Dibs...yeah I get it....its not what I want either.....the team cannot fall apart if we cannot resign Glenn....I just think

My point here was that if the extremely unlikely event occurs that another player is clearly better than Glenn at LT (and that would be of sure probowl calibre), then Glenn should lose his starting spot. This would be better for the team both on the field and off(due to salary cap implications). If that meant he moves to OG, that would surely be preferable to him than being a backup.

Oh I am not advocating that at all....I think it is more to look at "if Wood goes down what do we do next"

Two players with C experience past wood (which is why I liked the resigning of Urbik.......Urbik and Cog....can both play C and both OG positions

Then the woes of the O line would continue.....

You dont get better on the O line by continuing to revolving door it......

I disagree, however, I don't believe this will happen. I can't imagine either Kujo or Henderson are better then Glenn. But if they are, that is a good thing for the line, it means we are better than last year. Don't look at it as a revolving door, look at it as improving 2 key positions, maybe 3 if Glenn is a better guard. But honestly, I expect Glenn to start at LT.

Edited by klos63

What is best for Cordy may not be best for the O-line. It would be great for him to start at LT going into a contract year. We all are fans of his. If those guys can actually play him off of the tackle spots, that would be pretty impressive. Plus, his move to guard would vastly improve the run game. Over all, such an event seems hard to imagine. Cordy is a good tackle.

To me this makes zero sense

- Glenn has been a worthy LT....last year everyone played horrible.....prior to that Glenn has been considered a gem at LT...WHY CHANGE THAT

- Who rides the bench in that situation....John Miller....the coaches appear to LOVE John Miller

IMO......the real battle is between Henderson and Kujo at RT.......if Kujo starts playing like was SUPPOSED to then that would unseat Henderson making him the swing OT.

John Miller and Cog should be the guards

its really just this simple John. I am surprised that folks are taking Vic's self confessed "opinion" as seriously as they are.

It was an article to create dialogue. It worked !

Best case scenario is either Hendy or Kujo are good enough to hold down the RT position. and thats all i worry about with the tackles. And hope they can stash someone on the PS.

I think the guard is where are worry should be focused.

Heck we can even worry about Wood stepping his game up from last year and becoming solid !

I predict Richie at RG and Miller at LG. if they flip i cont care much. Urbik is the og oc back up as correctly mentioned up stream.

Seems simple to me.

Cordy Glenn starting at LT is the least of our worries friends within the offense B-)

Disregarding the Glenn angle, it would be fantastic if it turns out that both Henderson and CK become top NFL talents this season. More likely however, the Bills and Roman "loving what they are seeing" translates to "They are not going to be busts! They should contribute in a positive way this season."

Yes, exactly - it means they're learning the blocking system and they're making the right moves to the right man with good technique.

You really can't separate the starters from the 2nd string on O-line until the pads go on.

I have no doubt that's the case. The methodology behind it would be to try to extend him now, while he's coming off of a down year, to get something of a discount.

I'm not saying it would work, or even be in their best interest. I'm simply saying that it's the only way to get him to stay here and play guard.

Heck, even ok LT money is elite guard money. May as well go get an all pro guard

Heck, even ok LT money is elite guard money. May as well go get an all pro guard

Alot of people feel he could be an All Pro G. He was seen by most of the league as a guard coming out of college, rated as the 2nd best in the class behind DeCastro.

He is a decent/good LT. He is not the athlete most teams want to have at LT. He could be a monster inside. The money difference for him if that's the case is neglible. IMO, he is looking for a deal similar to what Jared Veldheer signed with Arizona and the Eugene Monroe extension in Baltimore. Basically, between $30 and $40 million, averaging around 7 mil/yr cap hit. Honestly, I'd take Veldheer or Monroe over Glenn at LT at this point. IMO, he is not worth that type of deal based on his play thus far. He is no where near the pass blocker he needs to be to be lumped in with those guys. If he moves inside and dominates, he could easily clear $7 mil/yr. If he stays as an average LT, $7 mil/yr is his ceiling.

The article is a joke. Glenn was the best lineman on the team last season, and would have looked better if he had a better player next to him. Along with a better coaching staff.

Henderson at least played, and when he did he mostly stunk it up. He graded as one of of the very worst OT's in the league.

Watch him deftly block Mack....

Alot of people feel he could be an All Pro G. He was seen by most of the league as a guard coming out of college, rated as the 2nd best in the class behind DeCastro.

He is a decent/good LT. He is not the athlete most teams want to have at LT. He could be a monster inside. The money difference for him if that's the case is neglible. IMO, he is looking for a deal similar to what Jared Veldheer signed with Arizona and the Eugene Monroe extension in Baltimore. Basically, between $30 and $40 million, averaging around 7 mil/yr cap hit. Honestly, I'd take Veldheer or Monroe over Glenn at LT at this point. IMO, he is not worth that type of deal based on his play thus far. He is no where near the pass blocker he needs to be to be lumped in with those guys. If he moves inside and dominates, he could easily clear $7 mil/yr. If he stays as an average LT, $7 mil/yr is his ceiling.

See, I'd say in earning potential you are framing it backwards. And value too. (And that's ignoring I think you low ball his talent)

As a front office member why pay him (conservatively) 7-8m for a position he's never played if you could just get an all pro at that position for 8m (iupati)?

On the flip - why would he want 8 as an all pro if he could get 8 for average with room to grow if he shows better?

The article is a joke. Glenn was the best lineman on the team last season, and would have looked better if he had a better player next to him. Along with a better coaching staff.

Henderson at least played, and when he did he mostly stunk it up. He graded as one of of the very worst OT's in the league.

Watch him deftly block Mack....

Holy Crap!

Alot of people feel he could be an All Pro G. He was seen by most of the league as a guard coming out of college, rated as the 2nd best in the class behind DeCastro.You

You dont get it......while you have a perceived value on his play I guarentee you that he and his agent do not feel that way.....

It is REALLY difficult to find quality left tackles......we have one right now playing left tackle....he needs to stay there....have you forgotten the years from Peters to Glenn?

See, I'd say in earning potential you are framing it backwards. And value too. (And that's ignoring I think you low ball his talent)

As a front office member why pay him (conservatively) 7-8m for a position he's never played if you could just get an all pro at that position for 8m (iupati)?

On the flip - why would he want 8 as an all pro if he could get 8 for average with room to grow if he shows better?

He ranked 8th out of all LTs in 2013 according to PFF. Didn't Crack the top 10 last year. He is currently a middle of the road LT. He needs a big year at the position to get that $8 mil/yr. That is not average LT money.

Holy Crap!

You dont get it......while you have a perceived value on his play I guarentee you that he and his agent do not feel that way.....

It is REALLY difficult to find quality left tackles......we have one right now playing left tackle....he needs to stay there....have you forgotten the years from Peters to Glenn?

I'd be fine extending him around $7 mil/yr, but I wouldn't be penciling him in as our LT for the next 10 years. Get him extended, find/develop a better LT, move Glenn inside. He could be a top 5 G.

He also might not be able to physically do the things they want their LT to be able to do.

Edited by BrooklynBills

If Kouiandjio can play RT there is no chance he is dealt. If Henderson really can play LT then holy crap. Enn moves to LG. They then can franchise him as a guard. He will be pissed but not much he can do about it. He might be a Pro Bowl LG. He will still make a ton of money.

Marrone destroyed the entire offense.

He ranked 8th out of all LTs in 2013 according to PFF. Didn't Crack the top 10 last year. He is currently a middle of the road LT. He needs a big year at the position to get that $8 mil/yr. That is not average LT money.

I'd be fine extending him around $7 mil/yr, but I wouldn't be penciling him in as our LT for the next 10 years. Get him extended, find/develop a better LT, move Glenn inside. He could be a top 5 G.

He also might not be able to physically do the things they want their LT to be able to do.

So let me see if I understand this.......

Just 2 years ago Glenn rates as the 8th overall LT (in the entire NFL out of 32 professional teams)

Last year he drops a bit when there was clearly something wrong with him and horrible coaching

I just want make sure I am following along

Now because of crappy coaching and a ailment we are supposed to forget that Glenn was in the top 10 of LT's........and keep that ever facinating dream of moving this guy into LG like he would actually accept that move after being a top 10 LT.......so that the bills can solidify the position (and of course to pay him less)

LAY OFF THE CRACK

Have there been any comments from Rex about wanting to use Glenn as a swing tackle? Or do we just have the Carucci comments at this point? I didn't see Rex say anything about it yesterday during his mefia session (wasn't asked, other than saying Kouandjoie has looked good). I'm just checking because he saw comments on Twitter like "Rex wants to use Glenn as a swing tackle" and wondering if there was any real substance to it.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Pfff Glenn is a lock at LT; the others are getting reps for both evaluation, experience. Williams will be cut, no doubt about it, left side to center is all set, battle is for right side and backups.

Opening day O-line barring injuries will be:

Glenn-Icognito-Wood- Miller/Urbik/Richardson/Kouandjio - Kouandjio/Henderson

Edited by bladiebla

Would be great if Miller is a Plug and Play at RG

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2015/6/3/8718047/could-henderson-kouandjio-be-opening-day-starters

Vic Carcucci of The Buffalo News thinks the Bills and Greg Roman love what they are seeing from Seantrel Henderson at left tackle and Cyrus Kouandjio at right tackle.

That would great news to have that option.

Edited by ALF

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2015/6/3/8718047/could-henderson-kouandjio-be-opening-day-starters

Vic Carcucci of The Buffalo News thinks the Bills and Greg Roman love what they are seeing from Seantrel Henderson at left tackle and Cyrus Kouandjio at right tackle.

assuming they like these two enough to be starters, then glenn would be moved to guard.

seeing as glenn is better than the both of em, this is a coach puffing up/pushing a backup.

beginning of the article.........Vic Carcucci of The Buffalo News thinks

there is no basis for any of this except Carucci has space to fill...do you guys really think Henderson and Kujo will be our starting T opening day?

Edited by nucci

8m per would be 12th in existing contracts and over 4m off the lead at LT giving him upward mobility. You and I can haggle over a few hundred thousand but my point is that same 8m is 2nd among left guards and only 500k off the top deal.

Not for the first time Yolo has nailed it IMO. I think that Glenn is very much in the plans this year, but he is a proven commodity who has shown he can play. If the sense they have from the snaps he has got so far is that he is on point in the scheme then you spend as much time as you can trying to work with your young guys. Especially if you are looking at your impending FAs next off-season and seeing Dareus (big money), Gilmore (big money), and Bradham (who won't be cheap either) as well as Glenn. If Glenn plays at the level of 2013 he moves up the order as a must keep, but if he plays at last year's level he might be 4th priority out of 4 when the $$$ are being handed out.

Not for the first time Yolo has nailed it IMO. I think that Glenn is very much in the plans this year, but he is a proven commodity who has shown he can play. If the sense they have from the snaps he has got so far is that he is on point in the scheme then you spend as much time as you can trying to work with your young guys. Especially if you are looking at your impending FAs next off-season and seeing Dareus (big money), Gilmore (big money), and Bradham (who won't be cheap either) as well as Glenn. If Glenn plays at the level of 2013 he moves up the order as a must keep, but if he plays at last year's level he might be 4th priority out of 4 when the $$$ are being handed out.

These are all good points. I don't know about the order of priority for retaining players, but I do know that the Bills have some tough decisions ahead of them. They've been adding players like Clay and Harvin and retained Hughes, but there is little cap room left this year and next. I don't know how Glenn isn't a priority though. The OL is shaky as is, but looks absolutely abysmal without him. I'd love to know what the plan is.

Edited to add: A long term deal done next offseason for Gilmore could free up some space in 2016. He is set to make $11M that season and his per year won't be that much below that, but it would help in 2016. Restructuring Clay's $10M roster bonus to a signing bonus will free up $7.5M in 2016. Opting out of Harvin's contract will free up $8M. So it is possible to retain several of the group mentioned. The problem is that we are looking at some of the highest paid positions in this group so we won't be able to keep everyone.

Edited by BarleyNY

They lost their swing tackle (Hariston) in FA. Probably just making sure Henderson has comfort with both tackle positions - for a backup role.

Which has the perk of our LT at LT our RT at RT and the young guy getting a demotion also getting time at LT which is more premium and may someday be open.

Less trouble all around

Dareus is 1st priority - Doug has said as much, they want to get it done before the season ideally.

I have to believe that in Rex's scheme the corner position is valued extremely highly. If Gilmore can have a year where he is consistently a shut down corner (rather than the up, down nature of his career so far) then he surely becomes the 2nd priority, especially as his game seems ideally suited to Rex's scheme.

Then Bradham and Glenn I think it will come down to performance but I can't find a way to keep them all..... then again I am a fan looking at the numbers as an amateur. I think restructuring Mario and Clay are the two obvious ones.... not keeping Harvin is another.... but even so hard to find money for all 4 of those FAs.

Dareus is 1st priority - Doug has said as much, they want to get it done before the season ideally.

I have to believe that in Rex's scheme the corner position is valued extremely highly. If Gilmore can have a year where he is consistently a shut down corner (rather than the up, down nature of his career so far) then he surely becomes the 2nd priority, especially as his game seems ideally suited to Rex's scheme.

Then Bradham and Glenn I think it will come down to performance but I can't find a way to keep them all..... then again I am a fan looking at the numbers as an amateur. I think restructuring Mario and Clay are the two obvious ones.... not keeping Harvin is another.... but even so hard to find money for all 4 of those FAs.

How hard have you tried in dealing with actual numbers in your inability to find a way to keep them all? Or is that more of a gut thing?

How hard have you tried in dealing with actual numbers in your inability to find a way to keep them all? Or is that more of a gut thing?

I have. I've been looking at overthecap.com and spotrac.com. Not only can you find team salary cap info and player info there, they also have positional spending breakdowns. Once you determine comparable players, or which tier someone belongs in, then it is fairly easy to see what a player's next contract will probably look like. Actually working through this whole issue might make a nice thread of its own.