Who is going to be the biggest surprise Bill this year?

In your opinion, he would work...

but I don't like this type of TE, and I still have zero hope it will work.

Peters is an Eagle now, and yes Fred counts... Wes Walker was undrafted and cut by the Chargers... he is a prime example of an underrated guy paying bid dividends.

I just don't get how Clay doesn't classify as this? That is exactly who he is. A 6th round pick that turned into a Swiss Army knife that fits perfectly into Roman's system. He is the exact guy that you are advocating for.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was replying to a post that accused me of preferring marginal talent... I was explaining that this isn't the case... It could very well be that the Bills had this in mind all along... If so, then great... The fact that I don't feel as strongly as some do in favor of Clay (who isn't really a "big name") means just that, and only that...

If Gray ( who I think could be lethal if coached-up properly) managed to "surprise" the insiders and pundits who prefer someone else... Then we'd all be happy anyway.

Why? Because he caught one pass last year that went for 40 yards simply because he wasn't covered? You prefer a guy with 11 career receptions over three seasons and think he can be lethal based on what, exactly? Meanwhile Clay has actually seen the field and had some success yet you have NO faith he can get it done. The juxtaposition of those two statements boggles the mind.

You thought Brad Smith should be given a shot at QB. You were also infatuated with Dickerson and Kaufmann and freaked out when they were cut. You predicted they'd be stars elsewhere. This isn't an isolated event. You're the guy who takes Austin Collie in the first round of his fantasy draft because hes a "sleeper". You'd pick 100 dark horses if given the opportunity and despite the heavy losses it would be worth it to you to call one right. I'll be kind and say you're a contrarian, but you need to come to terms with the fact that no one else on the planet shares your views on this topic (among others) and the implications thereof.

In your opinion, he would work...

but I don't like this type of TE, and I still have zero hope it will work.

Peters is an Eagle now, and yes Fred counts... Wes Walker was undrafted and cut by the Chargers... he is a prime example of an underrated guy paying bid dividends.

Wes already showed promise with the Dolphins before he went to the Pats**, yes? He had 67 rec. the last year with the Dolphins. Wes hasn't been on New England since 2012. Why does he count and not Peters ? Peters was a 2x Pro Bowler while on the Bills. I don't understand your logic on this subject at all.

Why? Because he caught one pass last year that went for 40 yards simply because he wasn't covered? You prefer a guy with 11 career receptions over three seasons and think he can be lethal based on what, exactly? Meanwhile Clay has actually seen the field and had some success yet you have NO faith he can get it done. The juxtaposition of those two statements boggles the mind.

You thought Brad Smith should be given a shot at QB. You were also infatuated with Dickerson and Kaufmann and freaked out when they were cut. You predicted they'd be stars elsewhere. This isn't an isolated event. You're the guy who takes Austin Collie in the first round of his fantasy draft because hes a "sleeper". You'd pick 100 dark horses if given the opportunity and despite the heavy losses it would be worth it to you to call one right. I'll be kind and say you're a contrarian, but you need to come to terms with the fact that no one else on the planet shares your views on this topic (among others) and the implications thereof.

Geez.

remind me not to argue with you.

wait .

you just did.

oh yes you did.

Well, if it happens, it will be the "biggest surprise" then, right?

well played sir!

There are a few to choose from, and it could be someone that was expected to be good but became great.

My pick is going to be Kujo. I wouldn't doubt if he beats out Henderson for the starting RT job and has a solid season. Just a hunch based on a lot of reading.

My second pick is Nick O'Leary. He won't even start and probably won't get 25% of the snaps but I see him consistently making key first down catches and scoring a few redzone TDs as the forgotten man because we have so many weapons.

shouldn't consideration in regard to this great opening thought be seriously considered for this to become a Poll?

One we can revisit as the season moves along. I can imagine some less than witty and aggressive banter hereabouts !

and i say , I am all for it !

And i am going to win :thumbsup: . That's the main reason. the other reason is it really would be fun to be identified with a player (fantasy pick of sorts). and then bicker about it all season long.

Carrington

Harvin.

I don't know who you are or what you're talking about.

Nor i you.

its a draw

Kujo will start and dominate at RT.

I would love this but I doubt it. As a Tide Fan, I watched almost every game Kujo has played. Fluker was the RT on that championship team and he was 10x stronger and 10x the mauler than was Kujo. Kujo's strength was his agility, and btw it didn't hurt lining up next to Chance Warmack.

Kujo is a great kid. He truly is. Nobody on this board would be happier than me if he turns out to be a great, or even a good OT. That said, I'm not counting on it. Cam Robinson as a freshman was better than Kujo ever will be.

My pick for biggest surprise? I have a hunch that Preston Brown is going to crush people. I can even see him getting a few sacks.

Jmo.

Wes already showed promise with the Dolphins before he went to the Pats**, yes? He had 67 rec. the last year with the Dolphins. Wes hasn't been on New England since 2012. Why does he count and not Peters ? Peters was a 2x Pro Bowler while on the Bills. I don't understand your logic on this subject at all.

Not to mention, Gray is almost a Charles Clay clone. He doesn't look like a "true" TE either

Edited by CNY315

Not to mention, Gray is almost a Charles Clay clone. He doesn't look like a "true" TE either

Yep. Not to mention that there is hardly anyone that is a true TE anymore. The best aren't. Gronk is a total freak of nature. Jimmy Graham is a big WR. Even Vernon Davis is somewhat of a freak. Cameron is one but always hurt. Gates is one but old. Julius Thomas's next block will be his first.

the guy no one talks about is Robert Woods with all the additions he will be one on one alot....i look for a big year from Woods

I still think he might be the best receiver on the team. Sammy came very close to changing my mind last year, but I think they're neck and neck.

I just don't get how Clay doesn't classify as this? That is exactly who he is. A 6th round pick that turned into a Swiss Army knife that fits perfectly into Roman's system. He is the exact guy that you are advocating for.

He's an overpaid tweener... He had his chance... showed some talent, and now has buckets of money.. Just because he did well in Miami, doesn't mean that'll happen here... I don't hate Clay. He clearly has talent... I just think this team needs a a big red zone threat, as well as at least one true TE...

Roman wouldn't be the first displaced coach to stroll in here Hawking his "system"... I'll believe in it when I see the proof. That goes for Clay, Rex, AND Greg Roman

I stand by all of it... Every last word.... Maybe if we did those things we would've made the playoffs by now... You can't say for sure it wouldn't of happened... Loved Brad... Still do... Kaufmann as well.... I think Dorin would have fit in well if we had an actual Quarterback at the time... I like the Dark Horses... Always will... i feel sad for people who always require others to 'share their views'.... saddest of all for those that come unglued at the sight of a dissenting opinion.

He's an overpaid tweener... He had his chance... showed some talent, and now has buckets of money.. Just because he did well in Miami, doesn't mean that'll happen here... I don't hate Clay. He clearly has talent... I just think this team needs a a big red zone threat, as well as at least one true TE...

Roman wouldn't be the first displaced coach to stroll in here Hawking his "system"... I'll believe in it when I see the proof. That goes for Clay, Rex, AND Greg Roman

So you admit that he did well in Miami and is seemingly in the perfect offense for his skill set (see Delanie Walker) and you are expecting him to get worse?

No one is suggesting that you have to like a particular player. It is ludicrous to think that he will not be on the field at all times. His versatility is essential in today's NFL. There is so much prep work done now because of technology that you have to be able to disguise what you are going to do. That's why guys like Lee Smith are so useless. Clay is in line for a big year IMO but even if he doesn't have a big year it doesn't change the fact that he is the ideal fit for this team.

Who said Peters didn't count??? Of course he counts... I wish he'd never left...

Welker's career was outstanding for a guy who picked himself up off the cutting room floor... 3 time AFC Champ... Someone should pick him up....-Not us though. :)

So let's recap... Clay is talented, but not my guy ... I have hight hopes for M. Gray if he isn't cut.. I believe his size and speed give us a dimension we lack....

Edited by #34fan

So let's recap... Clay is talented, but not my guy ... I have hight hopes for M. Gray if he isn't cut.. I believe his size and speed give us a dimension we lack....

Gray is 6'2" and 242 lbs. He ran a 4.65. Clay is 6'3" and 255 lbs. He ran a 4.69. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Harvin will stay healthy and be a beast.

Long term and hoping - Manhertz. As a Canisius season ticket holder for 25 years, he's a great kid and a freak athletically and physically. A long way to go football wise but the transfer of the skill set from PF to TE is obvious. Box a guy out, get position, and go up to get it. He's my pick as the long term surprise Bill.

Gray is 6'2" and 242 lbs. He ran a 4.65. Clay is 6'3" and 255 lbs. He ran a 4.69.

I have Gray a t 6'4" 242 from a couple sources... one of those being the Official team website... I also heard unofficially that he gained like 10 pounds...

I might have to call Bullsh*** on Wikipedia because I saw 6'2" there as well... I still Hope he surprises the pundits... If he gets cut, he gets cut. Would be great if he got a fair shot.

Edited by #34fan

I have Gray a t 6'4" 242 from a couple sources... one of those being the Official team website... I also heard unofficially that he gained like 10 pounds...

I might have to call Bullsh*** on Wikipedia because I saw 6'2" there as well... I still Hope he surprises the pundits... If he gets cut, he gets cut. Would be great if he got a fair shot.

I've seen 6,3 and 3 eighths also 6,3 .2 from pro day and combine

i like Gray too and think that he could be the 3rd guy. I was just responding to "he offers size and speed that we lack." He's pretty much a poor man's Charles Clay.

I stand by all of it... Every last word.... Maybe if we did those things we would've made the playoffs by now... You can't say for sure it wouldn't of happened... Loved Brad... Still do... Kaufmann as well.... I think Dorin would have fit in well if we had an actual Quarterback at the time... I like the Dark Horses... Always will... i feel sad for people who always require others to 'share their views'.... saddest of all for those that come unglued at the sight of a dissenting opinion.

I can say I am 99.9% sure that we would not have made the play-offs with Brad Smith at Quarterback. I don't feel like I need people to share my views.... but when you still lauding blokes who are now out of a job - Smith and Kauffman (cut by a CFL team at last count) and maintaining you were right and if we had just trusted these guys we'd be in the play-offs you kind of lose credibility. It is fine backing the dark horse, but be prepared to say "I got that one wrong" when the evidence points that way. The cool thing about dark horses is if you pick 10 and 1 comes in you are still in credit so don't be worried to admit that 9 of them ended up duds.

I can say I am 99.9% sure that we would not have made the play-offs with Brad Smith at Quarterback. I don't feel like I need people to share my views.... but when you still lauding blokes who are now out of a job - Smith and Kauffman (cut by a CFL team at last count) and maintaining you were right and if we had just trusted these guys we'd be in the play-offs you kind of lose credibility. It is fine backing the dark horse, but be prepared to say "I got that one wrong" when the evidence points that way. The cool thing about dark horses is if you pick 10 and 1 comes in you are still in credit so don't be worried to admit that 9 of them ended up duds.

#34fan sounds like the kind of guy who goes to the track and bets on 20 longshots...when one hits it's "I knew it!"

#34fan sounds like the kind of guy who goes to the track and bets on 20 longshots...when one hits it's "I knew it!"

It is worse than that it is "I knew it" on the one that wins but also "It's a fix - the jockey didn't ride it right" on the 19 longshots that lose.

For you and e-balls information, I DO pick longshots at the track... -Quite often, actually... I may drive an hour to the OTB to bet ONE stupid horse in ONE stupid race...I lose ineveitably...However, I've KILLED 'em on MANY races that left everyone scratching their heads (except me)

LOTS of factors go into my bets.. Where's the horse from? Who's his Trainer, -Jockey? -Sire?.... What track are we talking? How's the turf there? How does the horse's recent workouts look? - Was he in the money in his last race? If so, running against whom? -What was the turf like that day/night?

And that's just the beginning.... I've bet all kinds of horses from the trotters to quarters.... I'll take a horse to win/place with long odds because I've observed something others may have overlooked.

Invariably, the people that questioned my methods in the beginning, are the SAME ones stalking me to the cage to hear my bet... -Not to ridicule it, but to COPY it...

Fact is, I'd take Brad Smith TODAY over most of the QB options on our roster... I'll leave you with comment from long ago against one of my other long shots.

"I don't think Fitz will win us games, but Wilson's limitations due to his height, combined with other problems in his game, mean that he will be a bottom 10 QB in the league. Is it impressive that he is starting as a rookie over a big-budget free agent signing in Flynn? Yes, but that doesn't mean that Wilson has what it takes to lead a team in a deep playoff run. I do lament the fact that we picked Dalton over Williams, though, especially given the fact that we hadn't made such a commitment to Fitzpatrick at that time". –NY33

You don't need to tell me how to bet on horses. We have proper horse racing over here - and you can bet from anywhere.

If you would still take Brad Smith today as a Quarterback over what we have on our roster I don't know what to tell you. I think you might be crazy. And here is another one who was definitely on the Russell Wilson bandwagon.... I was not on TBD at the time Wilson was coming out but it must have been awash with "please pick Wilson" threads... cos pretty much every poster claims to have called it.

You don't need to tell me how to bet on horses. We have proper horse racing over here - and you can bet from anywhere.

If you would still take Brad Smith today as a Quarterback over what we have on our roster I don't know what to tell you. I think you might be crazy. And here is another one who was definitely on the Russell Wilson bandwagon.... I was not on TBD at the time Wilson was coming out but it must have been awash with "please pick Wilson" threads... cos pretty much every poster claims to have called it.

Nope... Wilson had his share of tacit supporters on TBD, but relativley few of us took it over the deep end, which is where I reside when it comes to Bills football.. I can understand how you'd feel 99.9 perent sure that we wouldn't have gotten anywhere with Smith of Kaufman... However the fact is you'll never be able to say for sure... If Kurt Warner could go from being out of football, to winning a superbowl, and a 6th rounder could evolve into a superbowl-winning machine, then absolutlely anything can happen... This, more than anything, is why I watch football... for it's grand surprises, and spectacular hidden gems.

Moving forward, there's a few undrafteds I think could make statements in camp... WR Andre Davis, LB AJ Tarpley, and DE Cedric Reed.. I think DE BJ Larsen may not make this team, but has the motor to be successful elsewhere. As stocked with talent as we're supposed to be, I hope this year's coaching staff has the courage to think out of the box, and see beyond the stat lines.

i like Gray too and think that he could be the 3rd guy. I was just responding to "he offers size and speed that we lack." He's pretty much a poor man's Charles Clay.

He looks much better than that when the defense seems unaware that he's an eligible reciever. We should run that play some more! I enjoyed that thoroughly, while asking "who is THAT guy?"

This has to be my favorite thread, by the way.

Edited by Augie

He looks much better than that when the defense seems unaware that he's an eligible reciever. We should run that play some more! I enjoyed that thoroughly, while asking "who is THAT guy?"

This has to be my favorite thread, by the way.

I agree!! It is the strangest thread ever. There's the troll that hates Fred Jackson for some reason (or no reason at all because he's the most likable Bills player in over a decade). There is another guy that thinks Charles Clay will be the 3rd TE (b/c he doesn't have the size and speed of Gray which isn't true). There are others that think Shady McCoy will be a backup. It's like a bunch of people are trying to say something more ridiculous than the guy before them.

I agree!! It is the strangest thread ever. There's the troll that hates Fred Jackson for some reason (or no reason at all because he's the most likable Bills player in over a decade). There is another guy that thinks Charles Clay will be the 3rd TE (b/c he doesn't have the size and speed of Gray which isn't true). There are others that think Shady McCoy will be a backup. It's like a bunch of people are trying to say something more ridiculous than the guy before them.

You don't want to be just another guy here at TBD. Dig deep, embrace your inner idiot, find the most ridiculous position you're capable of, make it your crusade and take your place among the Pantheon of TBD's legendary warrior poets. And when the mods strike you down you'll arrive at the gates of Valhalla shiny, red, white, and blue. His name was NDBUFFCUSEREALMADRID. Witness him!

Well, that is ridiculous! Shady McCoy can't be the decoy if he's on the bench! I don't think they'll ever give him the ball, but the defense will have to account for him on every play! (John Rauch taught me that.)

Ok I will go with... Drum roll (role? Lol) please...

Randell Johnson

This seems like a pretty decent bet, but what do I know?