Fred ain't Dead

I think everyone on TSW is speculating on which RBs will make it on the final roster, and so am I. There are way too many mouths to feed in the backfield, and if Greg Roman's playcalling history is any indication of how the opportunities will be distributed, it looks like Shady will get the vast majority of touches (see Frank Gore). That being said, I don't get how so many of you guys are counting out Fredex. The age is clearly the biggest issue and without watching the game, doubting the 34-year-old guy playing the position that causes the most wear and tear is very sensible conclusion to come to. But Jackson is not your typical back. If he relied and top end speed and agility, or running guys over with brute force, he would've burned out a long time ago (the demise of most backs in the league). But Jackson doesn't rely on being athletically superior to anyone on the field; as you've all witnessed, he uses patience, vision and balance to optimize the space he is given, often just out of would-be tacklers reach and always falling forward.

The criticism I read here is that he's lost a step, but I don't see it. He is the guy that saved us in the opener last year against the Bears, despite critics saying the same thing. What has to be acknowledged is the complete lack of creativity and competence of the offensive playcalling last year, which I blame for the stagnant running game even more than the poor line play. Jackson's skill as a back (let's not forget his blocking) far outweighs the athleticism of most other backs, because a lot of them are more athletic and literally all of them are younger. Until he truly shows a drop off in performance, I'm not counting him out.

Ultimately its Whaley's decision to make, and by judging his moves to get Brown and drafting Williams I don't think he shares my opinion.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think everyone on TSW is speculating on which RBs will make it on the final roster, and so am I. There are way too many mouths to feed in the backfield, and if Greg Roman's playcalling history is any indication of how the opportunities will be distributed, it looks like Shady will get the vast majority of touches (see Frank Gore). That being said, I don't get how so many of you guys are counting out Fredex. The age is clearly the biggest issue and without watching the game, doubting the 34-year-old guy playing the position that causes the most wear and tear is very sensible conclusion to come to. But Jackson is not your typical back. If he relied and top end speed and agility, or running guys over with brute force, he would've burned out a long time ago (the demise of most backs in the league). But Jackson doesn't rely on being athletically superior to anyone on the field; as you've all witnessed, he uses patience, vision and balance to optimize the space he is given, often just out of would-be tacklers reach and always falling forward.

The criticism I read here is that he's lost a step, but I don't see it. He is the guy that saved us in the opener last year against the Bears, despite critics saying the same thing. What has to be acknowledged is the complete lack of creativity and competence of the offensive playcalling last year, which I blame for the stagnant running game even more than the poor line play. Jackson's skill as a back (let's not forget his blocking) far outweighs the athleticism of most other backs, because a lot of them are more athletic and literally all of them are younger. Until he truly shows a drop off in performance, I'm not counting him out.

Ultimately its Whaley's decision to make, and by judging his moves to get Brown and drafting Williams I don't think he shares my opinion.

I am sure whaley appreciates everything Fred has done and will continue to do while he is here. Remember, he signed him to an extension just last summer.

But time waits for no man. It is Whaley's job to upgrade the RB position and build quality depth. It is even more critical to do this when there is no credible passing threat.

He had to have insurance for CJ and Fred last year with Brown, and they did both get hurt at the same time and we needed him.

Fred and brown both have expiring contracts this year, thus the selection of Karlos Williams to develop.

You will see the difference with McCoy as the #1 RB.

He's still the best RB on the roster. It sounds crazy to say that now, but you'll see midway through the season when he's outplaying mccoy.

I hope that's not the case. McCoy had proven to be an elite running back,Fred hasn't.

Freddy will retire a Bill, most likely after this season. The Bills took care of him financially and he's built a legacy in Buffalo.

He's still the best RB on the roster. It sounds crazy to say that now, but you'll see midway through the season when he's outplaying mccoy.

McCoy is arguably the best RB in the league. Fred will show up, as always, but McCoy is the elite back. Period.

If it was Whaley's decision, Fred would already be gone. Pegula is the only reason he's still here. Once all the season tickets are sold, then it will probably be up to Whaley.

If it was Whaley's decision, Fred would already be gone. Pegula is the only reason he's still here. Once all the season tickets are sold, then it will probably be up to Whaley.

We still don't know this do we? All I saw were rumors. Leroi who wanted Fred gone even denied (at least once) that Pegula would interfere. I do not know where Leroi stands but I assume he is still expecting Fred to be cut in camp.

Love Freddy but need to ask, Mushrooms?

thanks for explaining how the the bills work. I did think fred was dead, now I know he isnt, who do you think we will draft this season? also Do you think we should resign Spiller? Also, whats that big yellow fiery thing in the sky?

Fred has clearly lost a step but that doesn't mean he can't still make plays. He will be with the Bills this year as the primary backup to McCoy but he won't get a lot of playing time in what will most likely be his last year with the Bills.

I initially thought there was no way Boobie would get cut but I'm starting to think he might be the back in the most trouble as Karlos is a similar type of back who can also play ST but will cost a lot less. We also saw that Boobie can't carry the load even for one game. Bryce will be the third RB and will fill the same role as insurance policy he filled last year.

Edited by Max997

I hope that's not the case. McCoy had proven to be an elite running back,Fred hasn't.

Freddy will retire a Bill, most likely after this season. The Bills took care of him financially and he's built a legacy in Buffalo.

I disagree. Fred in his prime was elite. He was one of the league leaders in yards after contact one year and one of the most complete backs around. Unfortunately, he's never played behind a particularly good offensive line and his prime is now behind him.

While I don't rate him ahead of McCoy, I do rate him ahead of every other RB on the roster.

Fred has made a career our of proving his doubters wrong. The Bills kept bringing in high draft picks to replace him and yet here he is and all of those guys are gone. So unlike some others I won't mock this opinion though this time, giving his age, I don't think we'll see the same results as in the past.

That being said he's still a valuable part of this team and I don't think he's going anywhere unless he gets hurt in camp/pre-season. No other RB on the roster can do all the things that Fred does, he's the total package and those kind of guys are valuable, even if he's not the best pure runner.

Fred Jackson is one of my favorite players ever. With that being said he isn't (nor has he ever been) in McCoy's league. In his prime he was great but never one of the best players in the league. That isn't a slight to Fred.

I wish I were as drunk as you

Fred Jackson is one of my favorite players ever. With that being said he isn't (nor has he ever been) in McCoy's league. In his prime he was great but never one of the best players in the league. That isn't a slight to Fred.

Spot on. McCoy is a top 5, maybe top 3 RB. He is a 3-down game changer. Fred has done wonderful things, but McCoy is the real deal.

The Bills provided Fred a career opportunity he never would have gotten anywhere else, and he delivered in so many ways for the franchise. A thing of beauty really. Lets just leave it at that and wish he and his family the best that life has to offer going forward.

In 2011 he was elite. He played 9 and 3/4 games before breaking his leg (tackling a Dolphin who intercepted a pass, if memory serves). if one assumes no injury and extrapolates to 16 games played, he would have had 1504 rushing yards, 720 receiving yards, 2224 yards from scrimmage, and 9 TDs. His yards per carry was 5.5 and his yards per reception was 11.3. He only fumbled twice on 209 touches.

Those are MVP-like numbers, as I'm sure you know. The Bills were 5-5 with him and 1-5 without him.

The most yards from scrimmage McCoy ever had was 2146.

Edited by dave mcbride