Fred ain't Dead

shady is clearly #1

fred should be #2

#3 is up for grabs, but i'd say the kid from florida st is safe.

#4 booby is next if they keep 4 (might keep the 2 FB's)

i think that fast dude, i can't remember his name, is in big trouble.

Edited by papazoid

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't see many people writing Fred off at all, if any. Frankly I think his job needs to be a little less safe than everyone assumes it is, if Bryce and Boobie are better than him in camp/through the preseason I'd hate to cut a 24 year old with the upside of Brown or a guy who can contribute on ST like Dixon just to give Fred a farewell tour.

Last year, the Bills had the oldest RB in the league. He managed to play 10 games and picked up about 525 yards.

Does any football team want to have the oldest RB in the league for two years in a row?

If I read that as a non-Bills fan, I'd say, "they would be crazy to keep this guy; especially after getting McCoy." I actually think it makes the most sense to think that way.

I just want them to keep the best 53 players. If he's not one of them, so be it. I'd love for him to stay and I actually think he'd be great in a limited role. I hope he's here on opening day. But I'll understand why, if he's not.

And Fred was not even CLOSE to Marshawn Lynch ... EVER ... not while they were both on the Bills and certainly not after he left. Lynch has been a machine since his NFL career began. The only time he wasn't piling up yards was when the Bills stopped giving him the ball.

Last year, the Bills had the oldest RB in the league. He managed to play 10 games and picked up about 525 yards.

Does any football team want to have the oldest RB in the league for two years in a row?

If I read that as a non-Bills fan, I'd say, "they would be crazy to keep this guy; especially after getting McCoy." I actually think it makes the most sense to think that way.

I just want them to keep the best 53 players. If he's not one of them, so be it. I'd love for him to stay and I actually think he'd be great in a limited role. I hope he's here on opening day. But I'll understand why, if he's not.

And Fred was not even CLOSE to Marshawn Lynch ... EVER ... not while they were both on the Bills and certainly not after he left. Lynch has been a machine since his NFL career began. The only time he wasn't piling up yards was when the Bills stopped giving him the ball.

Not true. See my post above about 2011. If he stays healthy, he puts up a better year than Lynch ever did.

He's still the best RB on the roster. It sounds crazy to say that now, but you'll see midway through the season when he's outplaying mccoy.

He most certainly is not. And it ain't even close.

Not true. See my post above about 2011. If he stays healthy, he puts up a better year than Lynch ever did.

If's and buts, something about nuts....... Also that was 4 years ago now.

Edited by CountDorkula

This is becoming a matter of the head vs. the heart. I love Fred but...

he's noticeably slower in hitting the hole and may be effective in spot duty or pass pro but sadly his days as a feature back are over. His patience, instincts and vision are superior but without speed, those 4 yard runs become 3 yard runs.

he's noticeably slower in hitting the hole and may be effective in spot duty or pass pro but sadly his days as a feature back are over. His patience, instincts and vision are superior but without speed, those 4 yard runs become 3 yard runs.

Bingo. Many Bills fans become attached to players because it is all we have.

For me, "Thanks for your services, but currently you are just not the best for us"

I for one do not want Fred taking away carries from McCoy or playing on third down because there is a feeling that Fred needs to be in the game.

I hope that's not the case. McCoy had proven to be an elite running back,Fred hasn't.

Freddy will retire a Bill, most likely after this season. The Bills took care of him financially and he's built a legacy in Buffalo.

Fred is a career 4.4 yard per carry guy. Shady was 4.2 last year with a much better Oline. They're both dangerous in their own way, but I think Fred is a better short yardage back. He's squirmy and falls forward, very decisive.

Shady is the "2nd-gear" guy, the best full speed hip juke in the game (CJ, Demarco, Martin and AP get honorable mention). His challenge is the hole hitting, which Chip Kelly used to get frustrated with. He might not have elite vision, but he has elite moves. I see him as a CJ with 20% more power.

Fred is a career 4.4 yard per carry guy. Shady was 4.2 last year with a much better Oline. They're both dangerous in their own way, but I think Fred is a better short yardage back. He's squirmy and falls forward, very decisive.

Shady is the "2nd-gear" guy, the best full speed hip juke in the game (CJ, Demarco, Martin and AP get honorable mention). His challenge is the hole hitting, which Chip Kelly used to get frustrated with. He might not have elite vision, but he has elite moves. I see him as a CJ with 20% more power.

Fred in no way, is/was/will ever be better than McCoy.

And your "Analysis" on McCoy is terribly off base. He has fantastic vision (Some of the best in the game) and hits the hole in a hurry.

Edited by CountDorkula

Fred was and may still be Elite. He was better than Marshawn Lynch when the two of them were on the team together. Imagine if Freddy had had a decent line in front of him.

Fred has never been elite. He's been serviceable, and had stretches in which he was very good (i.e. pre-2011 injury).

As to the OL, Freddie had one of the best OLs in the NFL blocking for him in 2011 and 2012.

IMO, he was only 'noticeably slower' after he ripped up his groin and came back too soon, after missing only one game. He should have rehabbed longer, rather than trying to run on one leg--much like Nick O'Leary shouldn't have run the 40 at the combine when he wasn't fully healed and ran a poor time.

A healthy Fred is the perfect change of pace back to Shady--and I expect him to make a nice impact once again this year.....

Edited by Lurker

In 2011 he was elite. He played 9 and 3/4 games before breaking his leg (tackling a Dolphin who intercepted a pass, if memory serves). if one assumes no injury and extrapolates to 16 games played, he would have had 1504 rushing yards, 720 receiving yards, 2224 yards from scrimmage, and 9 TDs. His yards per carry was 5.5 and his yards per reception was 11.3. He only fumbled twice on 209 touches.

Those are MVP-like numbers, as I'm sure you know. The Bills were 5-5 with him and 1-5 without him.

The most yards from scrimmage McCoy ever had was 2146.

Good post!!!

Because Fred (1) emerged later in life than most RBs, (2) played for losing teams, (3) always ran behind subpar OLs, and (4) suffered some untimely injuries, he tends to be underrated. I honestly believe he was one of the best all-around backs in the league for a couple years.

If he was our starting RB during the Levy years, and stayed healthy, I think he'd be a HOF candidate.

But while I agree Fred ain't Dead, I don't think he'll have anywhere near the amount of touches and yards that McCoy will get this season.

Father Time is working against Freddy and I really hope we get a playoff win this year because it may very well be the last year we see Fred in a Bills uni. I'd love to see Fred stiff-arm a defender to the ground on his way to a TD in a playoff game this Fall.

Edited by hondo in seattle

He most certainly is not. And it ain't even close.

If's and buts, something about nuts....... Also that was 4 years ago now.

I forgot where I said it wasn't 4 years ago. I was responding to a different issue than the one you seem to be interested in. Regardless, he was sensational in 2011.

Good post!!!

Because Fred (1) emerged later in life than most RBs, (2) played for losing teams, (3) always ran behind subpar OLs, and (4) suffered some untimely injuries, he tends to be underrated. I honestly believe he was one of the best all-around backs in the league for a couple years.

If he was our starting RB during the Levy years, and stayed healthy, I think he'd be a HOF candidate.

But while I agree Fred ain't Dead, I don't think he'll have anywhere near the amount of touches and yards that McCoy will get this season.

Father Time is working against Freddy and I really hope we get a playoff win this year because it may very well be the last year we see Fred in a Bills uni. I'd love to see Fred stiff-arm a defender to the ground on his way to a TD in a playoff game this Fall.

1) Because teams found better backs

2) so did many other good backs, that has nothgin to do with how good you are

3) This is false. in Freds best years he ran behind arguably the best o-line in the league at that time

4) This is kind of key to being good, being able to stay healthy.

If you were to place a pole of fans from around the league from every fan base, Fred Jackson does not make top 10. He is a loveable Bill. Much like Brian Moorman was. Fred Jackson, good running back, never a best all around.

Fred Jackson is one of my favorite players ever. With that being said he isn't (nor has he ever been) in McCoy's league. In his prime he was great but never one of the best players in the league. That isn't a slight to Fred.

yup. if fred is our best back at the midway point this year, odds are it means things have gone terribly wrong, not terribly right. i like fred but it would take a cornerstone player with cornerstone investment in him flopping for that to be true, and none of us want that.

In 2011 he was elite. He played 9 and 3/4 games before breaking his leg (tackling a Dolphin who intercepted a pass, if memory serves). if one assumes no injury and extrapolates to 16 games played, he would have had 1504 rushing yards, 720 receiving yards, 2224 yards from scrimmage, and 9 TDs. His yards per carry was 5.5 and his yards per reception was 11.3. He only fumbled twice on 209 touches.

Those are MVP-like numbers, as I'm sure you know. The Bills were 5-5 with him and 1-5 without him.

The most yards from scrimmage McCoy ever had was 2146.

You just extrapolated out almost half a season for FJ and then attempt to discredit McCoy who actually played and got that yardage in all 16 games.

I mean, come on.