RD 2, Pick 50: DB Ronald Darby, Florida State

SDS

Good write up. Just turned 21? He could be good in a couple years.

One thing that needs to be said about this draft and this pick. Between Whaley, Fisher, Rex, Thurman, and Donnie Henderson whom I know would have all scouted him seriously, they probably came to somewhat of a consensus that this dude has skills.

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's like everyone here forgets that next year weyre going to shed salory in order to pay dareus and mckelvin is as good as gone. We just got our new starting corner in 2 years opposite Gilmore and everyone's pissed

Edited by TallskiWallski83

Good job today, folks. We've went from hating the guy to talking ourselves into liking him in less than 4 hours. That's very efficient by past TSW standards, we are are on our game this year.

If the third round pick isnt the guard from Louisville that rope better be to hang themselves.

Wow! Here's this for you:

4606.hammernail.jpg

A couple of points:

1. I am not sure what people did not understand about "best player available" but Whaley has been saying this for quite some time. No position selected should have been a surprise.

2. As far as DB is concerned, it is questionable whether they will be able to retain Gilmore after next year, McKelvin is also closer to the end than the beginning and expensive, and Graham is at the tail end of his career. Despite everyone's love of Robey, and I get it, he is not a starting CB in this league, not even a number 3. Cockerel is filler. Yes, the Bills need a good DB to groom.

3. I know nothing of this player, which I am certain is the same level of knowledge of virtually every other poster here. Excuse me, but I defer to the people who do this for a living.

4. Nor sure what people were expecting at pick 50 - hot sex?

I think this does fill a need. We will see if he can play.

What is wrong with you? :blink: This is 2 Bills drive. We always expect hot sex. In a completely unrelated story, nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition, but that's who always shows up around here in rounds 1-3.

Per Pete Prisco CBSSports.com

I think Darby had first-round ability, so he will step in and compete to play right away. Rex Ryan loves defense and to beat the Patriots you have to defend the pass.

Per Kevin Patra NFL.COM

The Florida State product has the kind of man-cover upside that Ryan loves to employ in his aggressive defense. Darby possesses good size at 5-foot-11 with blazing speed, having run a 4.38 second 40-yard dash at the combine.

Darby will join Stephon Gilmore, Leodis McKelvin and Corey Graham on the depth chart. The rookie was often left on an island in college, with many quarterbacks avoiding his side of the field, so he has the background for Ryan's scheme.

However, he was often outmuscled by bigger receivers and will need to become more aggressive to garner the coach's trust.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000490071/article/ronald-darby-bills-first-2015-draft-selection-at-no-50

If there ever was a "mandatory list of realities all posters must read and accept before posting" modal box that appeared right after login? The bolded above would be at the top of the list. We cannot win the division, nor can we get a wildcard spot, consistently, without at least splitting with the Patriots(at this time).

5 years from now, who knows? But right now, we can't win if we aren't elite at stopping the pass. Elite means having elite CBs, but just as important: backups that don't become the very hole Brady uses to beat us, if 1 or more of those elite starters go down.

Getting our asses kicked 52-crap on Monday night(I was there) should make the mandatory list redundant. However, we still have posters clinging to the notion that somehow, some way, leaving Tom Brady with open receivers is less likely to cause us to lose, than us not running the football, 1985-style. :blink:

As a FSU fan, Darby was phenomonal in his 2013 year. He was a beast and no one dare threw at him during that year. FSU also had a great front 7 that really allowed for him to take more chances and make more plays on the ball. In 2014, he was very average. Many people have suspected it was for a variety of reasons. One was he knew he was going to the NFL and was protecting himself. Two, FSU's front 7 had significantly weakened and Darby couldn't stay with his guy as long. Either way if he can be the 2013 Darby he is a steal of a player. If he is 2014 Darby he will be a average starting CB in the NFL

I read a bunch on this guy and watched the video many times. Dude needs tip drill practice every day. He goes to deflect the ball and doesn't pay attention to it - he's the type that Sammy will eat alive playing that because Sammy focuses on the ball and tracks it. This guy just acts like a mosquito and gets in your face. He needs to be aware of his surroundings. He is not like Leodis, as some would say. He is different. He will be good on this team to cover the slot. I do not know of any team off of the top of my head that can cover the top 3 WR's straight up in man. We can. The Pats are not going to be lining up 3 top end WR's, they're still going to use Gronk to batter everyone. But, Miami and New Jersey?

Decker, Devin Smith, Marshall, Kerley and Posey in Jersey

Parker, Jennings, Stills and youngster Landry in Miami.

That's pretty big news. NE has a lot of making up to do right there. Us, not so much. The Jets and Fins against each other are tit for tat. NE can't cover those offenses but they have a QB. We can cover NE and those teams. The Fins have a D now and they're going to get props but not like we should. We have improved a very good defense and I am positive we will get Spikes back on this team. We have a need at LB and drafting someone tomorrow won't fill it like Spikes can. If I have to go to Gastonia to make him sign, well I am headed there next week anyway and will twist his arm.

Anyway, this guy is going to be matched up against Stills who he will cover well (I think Stills is vastly overrated). He will match up well with Landry who seems his doppleganger on the other side; speed, athletic but aloof at times. Darby will do very well against the Jets if they line up with Decker or Kerley inside because the latter is not that fast and the former might have to play the inside now to stay on the field. Against Posey or Smith he may need help. But, the Jets WR's will need all the help they can get because we know what they have [and dont] at QB.

I like this pick. I had quietly wanted a CB. My participation has been way down of recent but I had been wanting to share my thoughts on this for a few weeks. We made the right move with BPA and got exactly what we needed without even factoring in the age of Graham & McKelvin and the contract for Gilmore.

Im just gonna have another beer and try to trust Doug and Rex on this one. Yikes.

I like this pick. I think this is a pick that in two years will start to emerge for us and give us consistent performances above average in spot time. I foresee him entering the field in limited roles. Right now Robey being the zone CB and Darby being the man-to-man in the slot. Gilmore and McKelvin outside. Play dime with Robey and Darby inside. 33 front. A single high safety with Aaron Williams? You're not passing on that. You'll run, though and thats why I want Brandon Spikes back. Put him in the middle on that.

We still have Cockrell and Ron Brooks. I like Cockrell and not sure what to think about Brooks anymore. Brooks may be done in a Bills uniform but i think he may catch on somewhere and play another 2 or 3 years. Cockrell, I hope can make the team. Robey will make the team. Gilmore, Graham and McKelvin are obvious.

A job well done. They got their Guy!!

Imo

As one of only a few to be high on this pick, please give your reasoning and thoughts on why you like this guy? You knew a little bit more about him coming in to this then we all did, since you guessed it. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts.

Also, you put the Buffalo going the wrong way. It looks funky.

Surprised by this pick.. don't see as a position of need. I'lll give Whaley the benefit of the doubt that the O line will be solidified somewhere else. Either internally or via a later pick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_6e2kRrXIw

A lot to like there.

A couple of points:

1. I am not sure what people did not understand about "best player available" but Whaley has been saying this for quite some time. No position selected should have been a surprise.
2. As far as DB is concerned, it is questionable whether they will be able to retain Gilmore after next year, McKelvin is also closer to the end than the beginning and expensive, and Graham is at the tail end of his career. Despite everyone's love of Robey, and I get it, he is not a starting CB in this league, not even a number 3. Cockerel is filler. Yes, the Bills need a good DB to groom.
3. I know nothing of this player, which I am certain is the same level of knowledge of virtually every other poster here. Excuse me, but I defer to the people who do this for a living.
4. Nor sure what people were expecting at pick 50 - hot sex?

I think this does fill a need. We will see if he can play.

1. no.

2. no.

3. no.

4. better then nothing.

Robey is our zone cover guy and in a dime we could almost use him as the under safety with Aaron up top in a cover3.

That is, without question, the worst song that I have ever heard. In my life, ever.

I actually really find it important to know he thought was worth mentioning that his favorite movie growing up was the Gremlins.

jw is Leroi? :flirt:

JW couldn't pull it off. He only comes alive after 11pm or 5 drinks.

Odd pick. He looks like a Rex Ryan type cornerback - pretty strong in man coverage, can jam at the line, hits hard. But damn, even I can see his zone coverage is sloppy - he seems to have a tendency to get drawn out of position by a strong preference to play the ball rather than his assignment.

All in all, I see a vague resemblance to Revis in his play, but far too often overshadowed by an overwhelming resemblance to James Williams. I can understand why they picked him (if they can coach him properly, maybe he can be another Revis)...but he just looks like a 4th round selection to me.

Why don't you post more about football? Its nice to actually see you talk football.

I hate this pick more than Bill from NYC does.

That would be tough to do. What is that old cliché....."the more things change?" :(

I AM glad that we took a guard in round 3 although I know nothing about him, having done little draft homework this season.

What I DO know something about is the Crimson Tide:

RT Austin Sheppard can probably had in round 6. I have seen him improve with time and I project him to guard, although he could surprise and fill in at RT.

FB Jalston Fowler is a flat out monster, especially on STs, but he can also catch and even run a bit at 254 pounds. Yes, 254 pounds. I am sure that he will win a football game this season on STs for whoever drafts him. He is as strong as an ox and THAT good. Need or not they should grab him if he is there in the 7th, which I doubt.

@BuffaloBillsPR

The #Bills will hold a press conference at 11:15 AM tomorrow to introduce second-round pick CB Ronald Darby.

Will any of the local pressers have the guts to ask him what his role was in the Winston rape case, and why didn't testify in the FSU Keystone campus cops "hearing" on the matter? Will any of them challenge Whaley why he would pick someone with this kind of history? The guys has playing issues, and character issues . . .

Will any of the local pressers have the guts to ask him what his role was in the Winston rape case, and why didn't testify in the FSU Keystone campus cops "hearing" on the matter? Will any of them challenge Whaley why he would pick someone with this kind of history? The guys has playing issues, and character issues . . .

His role was college roommate

I like the pick - he's young, athletic and aggressive. He had a better 2013 but it's probably because FSU couldn't rush the passer to save his life. If you ever watch an FSU game their whole secondary plays nasty. They hit, talk junk and intimidate. He'll be a good player.

LOL at this thread. There are a few very good tidbits and reasoned thoughts about the pick -- emphasis on few. The rest is insanity. Love how all of the armchair GMs know how to evaluate talent more than Whaley and his staff.

I neither like nor dislike the pick -- I really didn't watch a lot of college football last year and did no draft preparation. I do know that despite how "boring" it sounds, the axiom of "you can't have enough corners" is 100% true in today's NFL. And this dude appears to be fast and nasty.

On to day 3!