Joe Namath adds to Rex Ryan criticism

Joe Namath criticizes ex-Jets coach Rex Ryan's approach, without saying his name

" You don't need a microscope to read between the lines of Joe Namath's quotes Tuesday about coaching styles. As Namath spoke , it became apparent that he's not exactly a fan of Rex Ryan's player-friendly approach"

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/04/joe_namath_criticizes_ex-jets_coach_rex_ryans_appr.html#incart_more_sports

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do think there is some valid points to the criticisms. He might be too loyal and soft on his players.

I always said Ryan will be the type of coach who will improve after leaving the Jets. He made some mistakes. But with little adjustments, he can be a great coach. He shouldn't take this personally but rather adjust. Hold players accountable and don't baby them. He will be fine IMO here.

Namath referenced a bunch of guys that coached 50 years ago. The game has evolved since his guarantee. The money going to the players has changed the dynamic. That my way or the highway stuff just doesn't fly anymore. At the end of the day the players have enough power to force their hand. Do you think that Jerry Hughes would have been as adamant about returning if St. Doug was still calling the shots? There has to be a mutual level of respect and RECRUITING is important!! Rex is a huge part of the reason that Harvin, Taylor, Clay and Hughes signed here. He's a part of the reason that a disgruntled McCoy came to Buffalo without much of a fight. It's Rex's job to get these guys to play but let's not act like you are better off in today's NFL with your players hating you.

Funny from a guy who did pretty much whatever he wanted when he was playing on the Jets and "Broadway Joe."

Alcohol has a dampening effect on this thing called memory.

Joe Namath criticizes ex-Jets coach Rex Ryan's approach, without saying his name

" You don't need a microscope to read between the lines of Joe Namath's quotes Tuesday about coaching styles. As Namath spoke , it became apparent that he's not exactly a fan of Rex Ryan's player-friendly approach"

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/04/joe_namath_criticizes_ex-jets_coach_rex_ryans_appr.html#incart_more_sports

And namath has credibility why?

I suspect Rex will have the team highly focused this year and his player-friendly style shouldn't be an issue. In fact it will probably be a good rallying point.

Where he may have issues is in year 2-3-4....when guys know what to expect and take advantage of it. That's where the coaches Namath mentioned had a big advantage and why they were able to have such long careers...

Edited by Lurker

Funny from a guy who did pretty much whatever he wanted when he was playing on the Jets and "Broadway Joe."

And a guy who did whatever he wanted at Alabama under Bryant...

Although, in fairness to him, he probably doesn't remember...I think he pretty much spent from 1962 to 2003 in a drunken stupor...

...and he's an idiot

Namath referenced a bunch of guys that coached 50 years ago. The game has evolved since his guarantee. The money going to the players has changed the dynamic. That my way or the highway stuff just doesn't fly anymore. At the end of the day the players have enough power to force their hand. Do you think that Jerry Hughes would have been as adamant about returning if St. Doug was still calling the shots? There has to be a mutual level of respect and RECRUITING is important!! Rex is a huge part of the reason that Harvin, Taylor, Clay and Hughes signed here. He's a part of the reason that a disgruntled McCoy came to Buffalo without much of a fight. It's Rex's job to get these guys to play but let's not act like you are better off in today's NFL with your players hating you.

I agree, Kirby. Very often we forget the recruiting angle.

We also rely too much on a coach's record. The coach's record very often is determined by their QB. The GB coach has won a SB & has gotten far in the playoffs. After his disastrous coaching in the playoffs this year (kicking FGs twice on 4th & inches from the 1 yd line ), do we label him a great coach? I think that he has some good attributes but great - I don't think so.

Then there is my favorite "genius", Bill B. The "genius has won numerous SB's & undoubtedly is a good coach. People who label him a genius tend to forget that his record prior to Tom Brady was under .500.

Rex has a record of around .500, coaching with questionable QBs. Give him a top 10 QB & there is no doubt that his record would be admirable & one in which some people might even call him a great coach or "genius".

Just my random thoughts on coaches. For whatever it is worth, imo the best coach that I see is John Harbaugh of the Ravens.

And a guy who did whatever he wanted at Alabama under Bryant...

Although, in fairness to him, he probably doesn't remember...I think he pretty much spent from 1962 to 2003 in a drunken stupor...

...and he's an idiot

I seem to remember in 1969 that the night before the Bills game, Marty Shottenheimer took Namath out & got him drunk at Brunners. We won the next day for our only win that year.