Joe Namath adds to Rex Ryan criticism

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe Namath criticizes ex-Jets coach Rex Ryan's approach, without saying his name

" You don't need a microscope to read between the lines of Joe Namath's quotes Tuesday about coaching styles. As Namath spoke , it became apparent that he's not exactly a fan of Rex Ryan's player-friendly approach"

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/04/joe_namath_criticizes_ex-jets_coach_rex_ryans_appr.html#incart_more_sports

I'm not a fan of drunkards

Namath referenced a bunch of guys that coached 50 years ago. The game has evolved since his guarantee. The money going to the players has changed the dynamic. That my way or the highway stuff just doesn't fly anymore. At the end of the day the players have enough power to force their hand. Do you think that Jerry Hughes would have been as adamant about returning if St. Doug was still calling the shots? There has to be a mutual level of respect and RECRUITING is important!! Rex is a huge part of the reason that Harvin, Taylor, Clay and Hughes signed here. He's a part of the reason that a disgruntled McCoy came to Buffalo without much of a fight. It's Rex's job to get these guys to play but let's not act like you are better off in today's NFL with your players hating you.

yep. pretty much like the NBA. the coaches can only do so much. pretty much a players league now. you either have the talent or you do not. coaches just coordinate the talent. every team pretty much runs the same plays and plays similar defenses. very important to have team leaders in the locker room. not sure if we have one of those

I can't say I didn't have the same concerns when I first read about the signing. Great football mind with discipline issues. I'd like to hope that I'm wrong though. Not that I don't like the signing, but everybody knew what we were getting into when we signed up.

I have concerns with Rex but more with his inability to seem to match offense with defense and usual cronyism in a new job where coaches hire (including players they recommend) who they know rather than best candidates. From what I heard Greg Roman tells it how he sees it and has no issue with disagreeing w/head coach and telling him when he makes a mistake. Rex needs other ideas and coaches who question his decisions/plans more than yes men.

Several veteran players so far have said this is the hardest, most difficult off season training program they have ever had. Rex lets them loaf.

Yeah, but how many movies did they sneak out to?

Several veteran players so far have said this is the hardest, most difficult off season training program they have ever had. Rex lets them loaf.

I think Rex is Marv-like in that he doesn't baby his players. He simply takes it at par that they have the character necessary to do whatever it takes to make and keep themselves ready all year round. If you don't, you're gone. He doesn't need to be a micro-manager like our recently departed former HC because he won't waste much time on guys who don't buy in anyway.

GO BILLS!!!

I think Rex is Marv-like in that he doesn't baby his players. He simply takes it at par that they have the character necessary to do whatever it takes to make and keep themselves ready all year round. If you don't, you're gone. He doesn't need to be a micro-manager like our recently departed former HC because he won't waste much time on guys who don't buy in anyway.

GO BILLS!!!

Marv did let players loaf in practice and preseason but that was after he knew what he had in them. Rex is making it harder on these players and is taking abuse for being too lax.

Marv did let players loaf in practice and preseason but that was after he knew what he had in them. Rex is making it harder on these players and is taking abuse for being too lax.

That's the key. But I wouldn't characterize Marv as letting his players loaf in practice. There were many days, especially earlier on (I remember training camp in '87) where Marv would lose it because he wasn't getting the efficiency he wanted in practice. By 1990's camp, there were literally practices where the ball wouldn't touch the ground for the entire 1.5 hours they were out there and Marv would end it. Marv demanded that EVERY rep count in practice. I see Ryan in a similar light moving forward, especially when it comes to not wanting to micromanage every facet of his players' lives outside the lines.

GO BILLS!!!

That's the key. But I wouldn't characterize Marv as letting his players loaf in practice. There were many days, especially earlier on (I remember training camp in '87) where Marv would lose it because he wasn't getting the efficiency he wanted in practice. By 1990's camp, there were literally practices where the ball wouldn't touch the ground for the entire 1.5 hours they were out there and Marv would end it. Marv demanded that EVERY rep count in practice. I see Ryan in a similar light moving forward, especially when it comes to not wanting to micromanage every facet of his players' lives outside the lines.

GO BILLS!!!

Yeah I agree with all that. Good post. I just thought it was ironic that Ryan was working these guys harder than they ever worked in conditioning, but is taking crap for being "a players coach" which to fans meant the players could do what they want. If anyone listens to the Percy Harvin interview yesterday he says just that. The interviewer said Rex is a players coach so things are a little easier, or something to that affect, and Percy jumped on it and said no, he's a players coach because his door is open and you can talk to him and he will consider what you have to say, and not that it was any easier.

Yeah I agree with all that. Good post. I just thought it was ironic that Ryan was working these guys harder than they ever worked in conditioning, but is taking crap for being "a players coach" which to fans meant the players could do what they want. If anyone listens to the Percy Harvin interview yesterday he says just that. The interviewer said Rex is a players coach so things are a little easier, or something to that affect, and Percy jumped on it and said no, he's a players coach because his door is open and you can talk to him and he will consider what you have to say, and not that it was any easier.

I thought his comments yesterday about giving them a ton of stuff NOW and easing off later were interesting, too. By giving them a ton of stuff now, he's serving notice that this is what's expected from the get go. Lots of coaches start out piecemeal and build up. I like his approach better.

Not surprised by Harvin's comments, either. Ryan strikes me as the type that can chew you out for a screw up on the field one minute and then have you in his office for pizza later on after practice. Being a player's coach is not about easy practices, it's about having their backs as part of something bigger than themselves. You can be a taskmaster without being a dick about it. When I contrast his style with Marrone's, I think of how guys like Hughes are gonna respond moving forward.

GO BILLS!!!

I thought his comments yesterday about giving them a ton of stuff NOW and easing off later were interesting, too. By giving them a ton of stuff now, he's serving notice that this is what's expected from the get go. Lots of coaches start out piecemeal and build up. I like his approach better.

Not surprised by Harvin's comments, either. Ryan strikes me as the type that can chew you out for a screw up on the field one minute and then have you in his office for pizza later on after practice. Being a player's coach is not about easy practices, it's about having their backs as part of something bigger than themselves. You can be a taskmaster without being a dick about it. When I contrast his style with Marrone's, I think of how guys like Hughes are gonna respond moving forward.

GO BILLS!!!

I think that you hit the nail on the head k-9. Players coach means that they trust you not that they are easy.

look, Rex is a great D coordinator, who's put together a professional staff. i think the staff alone is worth two more Ws this season, before you factor in the personnel changes.

that said.. he's a self-inflated braggart who has yet to backup his predictions.. unlike Broadway Joe. i like Ryan, but Namath's a legend! and like another legend -Mantle, you gotta wonder what they could have done with healthy knees. i like Rex. i like that he'll never shut up... but i'd love to see him put up.

look, Rex is a great D coordinator, who's put together a professional staff. i think the staff alone is worth two more Ws this season, before you factor in the personnel changes.

that said.. he's a self-inflated braggart who has yet to backup his predictions.. unlike Broadway Joe. i like Ryan, but Namath's a legend! and like another legend -Mantle, you gotta wonder what they could have done with healthy knees. i like Rex. i like that he'll never shut up... but i'd love to see him put up.

He just took over as the Bills' HC. He hasn't had a chance to "put up" yet. Although I'd say he "put up" by taking the Jets to the AFCCG his first 2 years with Sanchez at QB.