Hey Draftniks, Please Do Me A Favor (LG).....

This board is chock full of posters who truly do pay careful attention to the draft. I deeply appreciate this. I am not into it as much this season because I am busy, and the truth is that the lack of a first round pick probably decreased my drive to delve into it.

I am not going to name all of the posters who provide great info about the draft for fear of leaving one out. That said, I think that the Bills need a player who played LT in college but is projected to guard. Why do I say this? Easy. Because of Ruben Brown and Andy Levitre. These were absolutely solid LGs. Both played LT in college and their agility was there, big time! It's a passing league and our qb situation if far rom great. This football team needs a LG who can offer good pass protection, especially if EJ gets the nod.

Levitre didn't play so well when he left Buffalo. I am guessing that this was due to injury because he was a fantastic LG for us. If a healthy Levitre was on this roster, the sky would be the limit imo.

One last thing.....I am a lifelong Crimson Tide Fan. Kuondjio may come to mind for some, but I am not feeling it. He is a wonderful kid but I never thought he was a very good prospect and posted this. I would be thrilled to the max if he turns out to be a player but I am not seeing it.

So, does anybody meet this description?

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Ali Marphet played LT for DIII Hobart College, can play all 3 positions, extremely athletic OLmen...ran the fastest of all OLmen at combine and 225 30 times...projected at 1st/2nd round

- A.J. Cann rated as top OG by some, played LT for South Carolina...projected 1st/2nd round

- Mitch Morse played LT for Missouri...projected as an OG in NFL...36 reps at 225#...projected as a 4th/5th rounder

those are the only ones in the top 10 OG that played LT/RT in college and are projected as OG in NFL on www.cbssports.com

La' el Collins, LSU, is projected as an OT but many say he'd be better inside at OG...he'll be gone in the first

Edited by Tsaikotic

- Ali Marphet played LT for DIII Hobart College, can play all 3 positions, extremely athletic OLmen...ran the fastest of all OLmen at combine and 225 30 times...projected at 1st/2nd round

- A.J. Cann rated as top OG by some, played LT for South Carolina...projected 1st/2nd round

- Mitch Morse played LT for Missouri...projected as an OG in NFL...36 reps at 225#...projected as a 4th/5th rounder

those are the only ones in the top 10 OG that played LT/RT in college and are projected as OG in NFL on www.cbssports.com

La' el Collins, LSU, is projected as an OT but many say he'd be better inside at OG...he'll be gone in the first

AJ Cann I thought only played G in college, not LT. But, I think he would be a good fit for the Bills power scheme at LG.

Shame on you - you said Ruben Brown was an absolutely solid guard and there are STILL posters bashing him despite being a 9 year first-team all-pro. Do not watch college football except occasionally in a bar and I think it resembles NFL as does the CFL.

Great answer to the question.

Sleeper--Jamon Brown for Louisville -- played both RT and LT for the Cards-- has really good burst and punch but gets burned a bit laterally by speed rushes. Has weight control issues as well. But Bill he has the nasty streak I know you like. He will likely be there with the 5th or one of the two 6th round picks. He has never played G -- but its easier to kick a guy inside then out and he fits what Coach Kromer has converted to G in the past.

Edited by Formerly Joe F

I think Daryl Williams OT from Oklahoma would be a good guard prospect. He's more athletic than the true guards like Cann and Tomlinson yet probably not nimble enough to play OT at the next level. He'd be a good get with their 3rd round pick...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1737524/daryl-williams

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/daryl-williams?id=2552357

http://www.bigblueview.com/2015-nfl-draft/2015/3/28/8212341/2015-nfl-draft-daryl-williams-ot-oklahoma-scouting-report

Edited by Lurker

AJ Cann I thought only played G in college, not LT. But, I think he would be a good fit for the Bills power scheme at LG.

If AJ Cann is there when we pick, we should run to get our pick in.

Most project Cann as a LG only so you're right there, Yolo. Very good fit. Other very good options would be Laken Tomlinson of Duke or Ali Marpet of Hobart, as mentioned upthread.

your correct..my bad...I mis-read on him sry

I only listed players that played LT in college that project as OG in pros....there are other players that are good also that played OG in college...like A.J. Cann can :rolleyes:

Is this an attempt to bring back Astrobot?

I hope it works. I love his camp reports.

But I agree that AJ Cann is an excellent fit for a power running system. Also Laken Tomlinson, who was ranked my NFL network as one of the 10 slam dunk safest prospects. If either is there at 50, I'd take them in a heartbeat.

This board is chock full of posters who truly do pay careful attention to the draft. I deeply appreciate this. I am not into it as much this season because I am busy, and the truth is that the lack of a first round pick probably decreased my drive to delve into it.

I am not going to name all of the posters who provide great info about the draft for fear of leaving one out. That said, I think that the Bills need a player who played LT in college but is projected to guard. Why do I say this? Easy. Because of Ruben Brown and Andy Levitre. These were absolutely solid LGs. Both played LT in college and their agility was there, big time! It's a passing league and our qb situation if far rom great. This football team needs a LG who can offer good pass protection, especially if EJ gets the nod.

Levitre didn't play so well when he left Buffalo. I am guessing that this was due to injury because he was a fantastic LG for us. If a healthy Levitre was on this roster, the sky would be the limit imo.

One last thing.....I am a lifelong Crimson Tide Fan. Kuondjio may come to mind for some, but I am not feeling it. He is a wonderful kid but I never thought he was a very good prospect and posted this. I would be thrilled to the max if he turns out to be a player but I am not seeing it.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill with all due respect :)

1) Doesn't every QB need good pass protection? Or did I miss the superior athletic ability of journeyman Cassel?

2) You continue to overrated Levitre. Never sniffed a pro bowl and has been bad in Tennessee. He is an athletic G who is weak. He is great at pulling and solid in pass protection. But he is very weak at the POA and the Titans regret that contract. It's just funny that Spiller has been made a pro bowl and you love to bash him while Levitre has done nothing of note and you praise him.

Gailey was a great offensive coach and designed plays to bring out his players' strengths. After watching our stupid offense under Marrone, this seems shocking. Gailey brought out the best in Levitre and covered up his weaknesses. He was never a top G.

3) I posted information that CK has a clear head and has been crushing it this offseason. Fans love giving up on players. I believe he has the inside track to the job.

4) Spending anything higher than a 3rd round pick on a G is a mistake. Better coaching will make this o line better. Every player on the oline regressed under Jacksonville's oline coach. Did they all suddenly get worse or did bad coaching/ offensive philosophy hurt them? I'm banking on the latter.

5) I like the kid from Hobart in the 4th.

1) Doesn't every QB need good pass protection? Or did I miss the superior athletic ability of journeyman Cassel?

2) You continue to overrated Levitre. Never sniffed a pro bowl and has been bad in Tennessee. He is an athletic G who is weak. He is great at pulling and solid in pass protection. But he is very weak at the POA and the Titans regret that contract. It's just funny that Spiller has been made a pro bowl and you love to bash him while Levitre has done nothing of note and you praise him.

Gailey was a great offensive coach and designed plays to bring out his players' strengths. After watching our stupid offense under Marrone, this seems shocking. Gailey brought out the best in Levitre and covered up his weaknesses. He was never a top G.

3) I posted information that CK has a clear head and has been crushing it this offseason. Fans love giving up on players. I believe he has the inside track to the job.

4) Spending anything higher than a 3rd round pick on a G is a mistake. Better coaching will make this o line better. Every player on the oline regressed under Jacksonville's oline coach. Did they all suddenly get worse or did bad coaching/ offensive philosophy hurt them? I'm banking on the latter.

Good stuff. Mostly minor quibbles.

1) Due to CK's length, I really have him pegged as a tackle. It changes how you get leverage, but he might make the transition.

2) I honestly think good G is underrated so I have no problem using a 2nd. And the Cowboys are pretty happy with Zack Martin.

Good stuff. Mostly minor quibbles.

1) Due to CK's length, I really have him pegged as a tackle. It changes how you get leverage, but he might make the transition.

2) I honestly think good G is underrated so I have no problem using a 2nd. And the Cowboys are pretty happy with Zack Martin.

Agreed. CK fits the criteria that Bill was talking about in the OP (college LT to G).

And it's hard to argue with the Martin point. I still think you should be able to find solid Gs later in the draft and LT/ C are much more important positions. But if we got Martin at 50, I'd be very happy.

What about center? If the best available is a rook center then we could move Wood to LG no?

That's why I like this Marpet kid. He can play any position on the line. There is risk with him because he is from a D-III program, but man, have you seem how he has done at the combine? He is at the top in nearly every catagory. 225lbs, 30 reps. Fast 40 and shuttle. Plus he is dominating in the positional drills. High risk/reward but I think worth the risk. Also, since he can play any position including center, he is going to be highly sought after in the draft. Might be the perfect pick in the second even if we do have to hear all of the complaining over D-III stuff. Fred was D-III, doesn't mean he can't play though.

That's why I like this Marpet kid. He can play any position on the line. There is risk with him because he is from a D-III program, but man, have you seem how he has done at the combine? He is at the top in nearly every catagory. 225lbs, 30 reps. Fast 40 and shuttle. Plus he is dominating in the positional drills. High risk/reward but I think worth the risk. Also, since he can play any position including center, he is going to be highly sought after in the draft. Might be the perfect pick in the second even if we do have to hear all of the complaining over D-III stuff. Fred was D-III, doesn't mean he can't play though.

that small school risk is what will allow us to draft him later. Kouandjio was at the biggest of programs in the best conference and look what that yielded (so far, I haven't given up on him).

Jeremiah Poutasi for a 5th rounder. He's pretty much exactly what you're talking about. Started off his collegiate career on the right side and played LT for the last two seasons for Utah. He struggled there a little bit with the better edge speed rushers, which makes him a candidate to move to guard anyway. At 6-5 and 322, he paves the road. In terms of the prior poster and Ali Marpet, you would have to pick him in the 3rd or maybe even the 2nd. He's similar in height to Poutasi, but has about 30 pounds less on a narrow frame with much shorter arms. Not ideal for an offensive lineman and you can't coach him to have longer arms. For me, Poutasi is less risk and more reward, and the Bills can fill other positions of need with earlier draft picks.

Don't you always laugh off Cassel's ProBowls as anomalies, and here you are singing the praises of one ProBowl in 5 years for a mediocre RB? I wouldn't point out someone else's double standard when you live by them.

i can tell you who it won't be - any man less than 330lbs. which leaves alot of the 300lb prospects off the board.

no way Roman puts a 300lb guard next to a 300lb center, and expects them to handle the middle of the D-line and whatever a-gap blitzes come their way without help.. nope - not happening. not in this offense. every guy he lines up has to win his battle 1 on 1 so Roman can get numbers on the playside. shoring up the middle takes a man away from his scheme to overwhelm you at the poa.

C'mon CB. We both know that it's easier for a veteran to make a decision than it is for an inexperienced qb, with VERY few exceptions.

I addressed Tennessee. Imo he was injured. The man was our best blocker and did he ever miss a game? And for that matter, has Glenn looked as good as he did playing next to Levitre? And please don't tell me that you place a lot of status in the pro bowl. Has EJ made one? ;)

Once again, I'm a Bama Fan and have always viewed him as a reach. I would love it for him to be a success. He always seemed like a really great kid.

4) Spending anything higher than a 3rd round pick on a G is a mistake.

I respectfully disagree.

I'll take a look, thanks. :thumbsup:

Hi Rodak, its called a smokescreen

@mikerodak: Doug Whaleys comments last week on Bills offensive line make it seem less of a draft need: http://t.co/HKGW99K6Enhttp://t.co/8SiN7vqgmC

Are these writers really that clueless to take everything Whaley says at face value? He's been playing up the QB prospects and doing everything short of saying "Oh yeah, we are totally 100% for sure taking a QB on day 2" while he's also basically been saying "Oh, we are very happy with our line, I don't know why we'd ever take a lineman in this draft."

I really had no opinion of Kouandjoie before the draft other than I remembered he kept getting smoked in the Sugar Bowl vs. Oklahoma. However, just thought it was interesting as I was looking through Matt Miller's (lead NFL scout on Bleacher Report) pre-draft rankings from last year and he had him ranked 28th overall on his big board. Yes I know I spelled his name wrong.

Are these writers really that clueless to take everything Whaley says at face value? He's been playing up the QB prospects and doing everything short of saying "Oh yeah, we are totally 100% for sure taking a QB on day 2" while he's also basically been saying "Oh, we are very happy with our line, I don't know why we'd ever take a lineman in this draft."

Exactly. They have really been using the media to get these two messages out there loud and clear.

Edited by YoloinOhio

"Bottom Line: Has the body type and movement of a zone-scheme center with guard potential. Technically sound and has athleticism to become an NFL starter, but must prove he can handle the substantial jump in power and speed he will see. Looked strong enough at the Senior Bowl, but he could be a year away from being ready. Ascending prospect with a chance to be one of the steals from this year's group of interior blockers."

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/ali-marpet?id=2552332

As I posted in another thread, I saw him play a couple times down the road, and a high school friend/teammate of mine coached him for 2 years...he just does not seem like a fit, especially in the 2nd round.

Okay Bill, here's some film on OGs that should be available for The Bills - depending on what round they may want to make the pick.

AJ Cann: http://draftbreakdown.com/players/aj-cann/

Laken Tomlinson: http://draftbreakdown.com/?s=Laken+Tomlinson

Ali Baba at the Senior Bowl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siPei_ky9kU&feature=youtu.be

Tre Jackson, FSU RIGHT Tackle:

Do you think he could be moved to LG? Or is he too stupid like so many other FSU players are?

Someone you already know about - who's the brother of somebody you already know about: http://draftbreakdown.com/?s=arie+kouandjio