Whatever happened to Jim Schwartz?

beerme1

I can't believe that he just completely disappeared and no team was interested. Even Marrone got a job!

If you told me he wouldn't land a job somewhere I would bet against it. But now it's way too late for him to surface anywhere. Anyone know why he isn't getting a look somewhere, for some position?

Since he left I haven't seen his name associated with any position even once. It's kind of bizarre to me and really is what I would have expected for Marrone. But he had several interviews for a HC job before accepting a job flipping burgers. Is there something to the story I'm missing?

Schwartz was probably a season or two from getting some HC interviews. I'm guessing he wasn't too happy with Marrone bailing on the team. He might have flushed Schwartz's HC chances down the toilet with him.

Schwartz was probably a season or two from getting some HC interviews. I'm guessing he wasn't too happy with Marrone bailing on the team. He might have flushed Schwartz's HC chances down the toilet with him.

No way... People saw what the Scwartz did with our D... Pegsy totally effed him over for a chance at a big-name coach... VERY unfair, in my humble opinion... Perhaps even unwise.. We embarassed Rex last season. -Twice. The second time with one of the most dominating defensive showings we've had in a while... I like the guy alot... He gets a big drunken hug from me should he walk into any Bills bar I'm drinking in.

Edited by #34fan

Schwartz wants to be a Head Coach again. The way you do that is having top defenses. He took the Buffalo job because he could see the potential to make a top 5 defense. He would have undone some of that by taking a bottom feeder DC job which was pretty much all that was left by the time the Bills shake out happened. He will get defensive coordinator and possibly even Head Coaching interviews next year and will be selective in his choice.

I sense with the jobs dried up that he is waiting out his opportunity for a HC job.

He could have had a DC job in a heartbeat with what he did in Buffalo.

If he takes another DC job his future HC job will be based on what he potentially does in 2015 instead of his job in Buffalo in 2014.

He is betting on his 2014 performance to get him back into the HC seat. It'll happen too.

Not sure why guys like Schwartz insist on being head coaches. He's clearly one of the best coordinators there is so why not just stick with what you are good at? Is it an ego thing?

One there's no indication that's what Schwartz wants - two there's examples of many coaches that realize what you're saying and stick with coordinating - three it pays a lot more in most cases to be a head coach - four a lot of head coaches failed as a head coach before becoming successful at it.

Wonder if he is collecting two salaries.

He is due to make $6 mil in 2015 from Detroit and whatever the Bills were paying him in 2015 which I'm sure was pretty hefty . Which is another reason to sit back and wait a year for a HC to come open

Edited by dezertbill

He is due to make $6 mil in 2015 from Detroit and whatever the Bills were paying him in 2015 which I'm sure was pretty hefty . Which is another reason to sit back and wait a year for a HC to come open

Do the Bills still owe him? If things went down like the media told it, he was given the opportunity to stay, but decided to leave. Seems like if he left on his own, he wouldn't get that money.

Do the Bills still owe him? If things went down like the media told it, he was given the opportunity to stay, but decided to leave. Seems like if he left on his own, he wouldn't get that money.

he was given the choice to stay, and he chose to leave, but in the end it was reported that his contract was "terminated" and that he was "fired." Since they had already hired Dennis Thurman, they must have felt like it was a foregone conclusion.

Not sure why guys like Schwartz insist on being head coaches. He's clearly one of the best coordinators there is so why not just stick with what you are good at? Is it an ego thing?

who said he wasn't?

nobody really knows what he is doing.

The guy had our defense clicking every game though. From that i say he knows his shet.

Miss you Jim! Hugs !

he was given the choice to stay, and he chose to leave, but in the end it was reported that his contract was "terminated" and that he was "fired." Since they had already hired Dennis Thurman, they must have felt like it was a foregone conclusion.

he was not given the choice really . Thats silly Y.

Rex IS the D coordinator.

sure they left it professional but , no , absolutely not. they was not enough room in the building for both of them , Rex and Jim.

love me some Schwartz,

dude killed it for us

I could be wrong, but i think almost 100% of coaches contracts have offset language.

Simply put, if i fire you and you have one year left at $1M, and you get a job paying $500K, i only owe you $500K.

So toatl he would make from Buffalo and Detroit was the $6M you reference above(have no idea if that is accurate)...time to cry him a river

I could be wrong, but i think almost 100% of coaches contracts have offset language.

Simply put, if i fire you and you have one year left at $1M, and you get a job paying $500K, i only owe you $500K.

So toatl he would make from Buffalo and Detroit was the $6M you reference above(have no idea if that is accurate)...time to cry him a river

this was discussed a couple months ago and that is correct - he was "only" getting the balance of what he is was due from the lions after what he was paid by the Bills. It was 6m total. Or "is" I guess i should say lol Edited by YoloinOhio

I sense with the jobs dried up that he is waiting out his opportunity for a HC job.

He could have had a DC job in a heartbeat with what he did in Buffalo.

If he takes another DC job his future HC job will be based on what he potentially does in 2015 instead of his job in Buffalo in 2014.

He is betting on his 2014 performance to get him back into the HC seat. It'll happen too.

I'm wondering why though was Marrone getting several HC interviews while Schwartz just disappeared? So you don't think he accepts a DC job offer? He will only be gunning for HC and then that goes back to my question? Why was Marrone getting HC interviews and not Schwartz. And then the Marrone accepts such a low position.

Ah, how to be selective while you're getting paid and also have time for the beach and family. When this guy needs a job, he'll get one.

I guess this is true but these guys usually not always don't want that time off. See Rex.

Schwartz strikes me as having too much emotion to just disappear like he did.

I like Rex but our defense was better with Scwartz than with Pettine. The DB's and LB's are much better now. I hope Rex remembers how to stop the run. Pettine sure couldn't figure it out with the same group up front. I would have been perfectly fine with Scwartz's defense and some added wrinkles from Ryan.

Ryan seems to know how to slow down Brady. Hopefully Rex brings more pressure while not getting gashed up the middle.

I like Rex but our defense was better with Scwartz than with Pettine. The DB's and LB's are much better now. I hope Rex remembers how to stop the run. Pettine sure couldn't figure it out with the same group up front. I would have been perfectly fine with Scwartz's defense and some added wrinkles from Ryan.

Ryan seems to know how to slow down Brady. Hopefully Rex brings more pressure while not getting gashed up the middle.

Rex's Ds have been successful at stopping the run more often than not. I'm not worried about the D at all as long as they stay relatively healthy.

haven't Rex's defenses been better at stopping the run than Schwartz's?

haven't Rex's defenses been better at stopping the run than Schwartz's?

In terms of doing it consistently - yes. People are looking at a Rex defense and seeing the Pettine defense and they should not. Pettine wanted a really aggressive eye catching sheme to garner him attention for a Head Coaching opportunity I think. Rex's defenses have had better fundamentals than Pettine's and it is one of the reasons Rex was going to take back control in New York in 2013 even if Pettine had stayed around.

Weird to think that Schwartz is being so selective. You think coming off of his great year with the Bills and a solid past esp coordinating the Titans that Schwartz would have a good selection of jobs to pick from.

There's only so many jobs that come open. How many DC were being hired and were in good situations? The best bet is usually a new head coach, but many of them are defensive guys. The Seattle job wasn't open and neither was San Francisco which at the time had a solid defense before everyone started retiring.

Just three months ago who would have thought that there could possibly be a thread titled, "Whatever happened to Jim Schwartz?" so early into 2015.

Edited by MDH

Just three months ago who would have thought that there could possibly be a thread titled, "Whatever happened to Jim Schwartz?" so early into 2015.

Sorry if it bothers you. I did it because of how fast he dropped off the face of the earth. And coming off the year he had I can't believe nobody called him for an interview.

Edited by beerme1

Schwartz is coaching his own version of the Bills on super special Madden - He gets Suh, Incognito, Rodney Hudson, and Orlando Franklin in FA and re-signs Jerry Hughes and Searcy

Trades Chandler, Wood, and K Williams to NO for Jimmy Graham

Defense

M Williams, Dareus Suh Hughes

Alonso, Brown Bradham

Graham, A Williams, Searcy, Gilmore

Offense

OL Glenn, Franklin, Hudson, Incognito, Henderson

TEs Graham, Grey

WR Watkins, Woods

RB Draft

QB Manuel

Schwartz says he has the real Bully and that Rex has a gadget Offense - he's gonna track his Madden team against the real Bills and if his team does better he's gonna let Terry and Kim know about it.

Schwartz is coaching his own version of the Bills on super special Madden - He gets Suh, Incognito, Rodney Hudson, and Orlando Franklin in FA and re-signs Jerry Hughes and Searcy

Trades Chandler, Wood, and K Williams to NO for Jimmy Graham

Defense

M Williams, Dareus Suh Hughes

Alonso, Brown Bradham

Graham, A Williams, Searcy, Gilmore

Offense

OL Glenn, Franklin, Hudson, Incognito, Henderson

TEs Graham, Grey

WR Watkins, Woods

RB Draft

QB Manuel

Schwartz says he has the real Bully and that Rex has a gadget Offense - he's gonna track his Madden team against the real Bills and if his team does better he's gonna let Terry and Kim know about it.

my early prediction is that the Jim Schwartz coached Bills are going to win the Super Bowl! in franchise mode