Matt Cassel a Bill

Nanker

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and hes arguing that it being the first pick of the 5th round means its essentially a 4th.... which we may as well call a 3 for dramatic purposes.

I don't think it's dramatic to point out the distinction between our regular, middle of the round 5th and the 1st pick of the 5th round. Though it's still a 5th and realistically you should be happy to land someone who makes the roster and contributes on special teams with the pick.

I don't think it's dramatic to point out the distinction between our regular, middle of the round 5th and the 1st pick of the 5th round. Though it's still a 5th and realistically you should be happy to land someone who makes the roster and contributes on special teams with the pick.

i hear you - i was mostly giving a hard time, and not serious. im guilty of it sometimes too, but the only time anyone uses the "practically a 4th" instead of the actual top of the 5th is to play it up.

The first round is FAR, far different than the second round as far as talent goes.

The second round is far different than the third round as far as talent goes.

The third round is different from the second.

The fourth round is pretty far away from the third.

Once you get to the fifth round, there is very little difference from then to the seventh and even the top UDFA. They are all players with gaping holes in their resume or numbers or experience or character or other things. If you look at the 5th round from any given year, there are not a lot of good or even decent players. Most are out of the league in a year or two. The difference between a 5th and a 6th rounder in this draft is very small.

Matt Cassel is now Greg Roman's new version of Alex Smith. If Roman can get the same production out of Cassel that he did with Smith, then it's a smart move by the Bills.

Smith, who is not great, is a way better player than Cassel at this point, who pretty much sucks (although I'm fine with this move). Let's not deceive ourselves!

America is a great country. Were else can you get $4.75 million a year for being crappy at your job. Agreed that if he is our opening day starter then we have bigger trouble than any running backs, receivers or o line can fix. I know there are no options out there, but I would rather sign a cardboard cut out of Joe Montana instead!!

Smith, who is not great, is a way better player than Cassel at this point, who pretty much sucks (although I'm fine with this move). Let's not deceive ourselves!

This is the sad truth. After last year, if you told me our options at QB were EJ or Matt Cassel, I think I would have laughed at you.

The first round is FAR, far different than the second round as far as talent goes.

The second round is far different than the third round as far as talent goes.

The third round is different from the second.

The fourth round is pretty far away from the third.

Once you get to the fifth round, there is very little difference from then to the seventh and even the top UDFA. They are all players with gaping holes in their resume or numbers or experience or character or other things. If you look at the 5th round from any given year, there are not a lot of good or even decent players. Most are out of the league in a year or two. The difference between a 5th and a 6th rounder in this draft is very small.

Spot on.

1 and 2 rounders are expected to be starters/heavy contributors year one in today's game. 3rd rounders should see significant playing time in year one.

After that whatever you get from rounds 4-7 is really gravy in year one. If any of those mid to late round picks turn into a starter you had a wonderful draft.