Bills to trade Kiko Alonso for LeSean McCoy

CNY315

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see it the exact opposite way. Kiko is boom bust. He has had both knees repaired and there is no guarantee that he will still have the same explosiveness. McCoy is a known quantity. I don't get how a high ankle sprain knocks McCoy out for good but there is no such scenario for Kiko in your hypothetical. Kiko may flame out completely and never return to form while that specter is not hanging over McCoy's head.

Who knows what happens especially with the fickle nature of injuries but to this point it is inarguable that McCoy has shown much more in the NFL than Kiko.

And it is worth noting that he entered the season with a turf toe injury. Certainly COULD explain the slow start.

Age and mileage lead me to believe that we see maybe 2 good years from McCoy. A nagging injury could wipe one of those out and the second might not happen even healthy

kiko even nicked up will likely be a decent lb for the next several years even if not GREAT.... but we also get 25m in free agents even if kiko bombs. It would be hard to get zero out of 3 guys where it wouldn't be crazy to get little out of McCoy

McCoy is more likely to be an all pro and take over games but the kiko route is almost impossible to get NOTHING from.

Edited by NoSaint

Age and mileage lead me to believe that we see maybe 2 good years from McCoy. A nagging injury could wipe one of those out and the second might not happen even healthy

kiko even nicked up will likely be a decent lb for the next several years but we also get 25m in free agents even if kiko bombs. It would be hard to get zero out of 3 guys where it wouldn't be crazy to get little out of McCoy

There is probably just as likely a chance that McCoy gets a career ending injury as Alonzo. If one of Kiko's knees goes, he's probably shot for his career after two of them already.

There is probably just as likely a chance that McCoy gets a career ending injury as Alonzo. If one of Kiko's knees goes, he's probably shot for his career after two of them already.

Yet we'd still have 2 other free agents with the money

My point was McCoy has a lot more eggs in the lone basket for better or worse

Edited by NoSaint

Rich Eisen @richeisen 4m4 minutes ago

2014: @CutOnDime25 traded to Rex Ryan @buffalobills = laughably implausible

2015: @CutOnDime25 traded to Rex Ryan @buffalobills = fact

Jeremy White retweeted

Source tells me Eagles would’ve cut LeSean McCoy and were just calling around to find *anything* for him. Bills only took 20min to say yes.

Jeremy White @JeremyWGR 33s34 seconds ago

"Source" would be close to Eagles eager to tell someone "we were gonna cut him". Much like "Kiko didn't want to be here". #sources

0 replies 0 retweets 0 favorites

Chris Trapasso @ChrisTrapasso 1m1 minute ago

Most vital / overlooked aspect of #Bills acquiring McCoy: both sides will likely restructure his deal. Cap hit probably won't be $10M in '15

Chris Trapasso @ChrisTrapasso 34s34 seconds ago

McCoy has '15, '16, '17 left on current deal, but only $1M guaranteed. He'll likely restructure to gain gtd $ but lower cap hit for #Bills.

Edited by Reed83HOF

Wow just got off work. Surprised at all of the negativity following this trade. I'm just a big of a Kiko fan as the next guy and hate to seem him go, but this move definitely makes Buffalo a stronger team. He is what we thought CJ was going to be after 2012. A superstar, who can take over a game. He gives the offense a home run threat, can pick up big chunks of yards,that may not come to frequently via the pass. He opens up the offense as a whole. I'm stoked about it. I think the defense will be top 7 with or without Kiko. I see this trade improving the team. Only thing that concerns me is Shady seems immature and kind of a prima dona. Early reports of him not being happy about the trade. Hopefully it plays itself out.

Rich Eisen ‏@richeisen 4m4 minutes ago

2014: @CutOnDime25 traded to Rex Ryan @buffalobills = laughably implausible

2015: @CutOnDime25 traded to Rex Ryan @buffalobills = fact

Jeremy White retweeted

Michael Schottey ‏@Schottey 16m16 minutes ago

Source tells me Eagles wouldve cut LeSean McCoy and were just calling around to find *anything* for him. Bills only took 20min to say yes.

Jeremy White ‏@JeremyWGR 33s34 seconds ago

"Source" would be close to Eagles eager to tell someone "we were gonna cut him". Much like "Kiko didn't want to be here". #sources

Chris Trapasso ‏@ChrisTrapasso 1m1 minute ago

Most vital / overlooked aspect of #Bills acquiring McCoy: both sides will likely restructure his deal. Cap hit probably won't be $10M in '15

Chris Trapasso ‏@ChrisTrapasso 34s34 seconds ago

McCoy has '15, '16, '17 left on current deal, but only $1M guaranteed. He'll likely restructure to gain gtd $ but lower cap hit for #Bills.

Haha; sure, they were going to cut McCoy.

More:

"A source close to LeSean McCoy on how the #Eagles RB feels about news of an agreement to trade him to Buffalo: "Hes a Pennsylvania kid. Hes never played football outside of Pennsylvaniahigh school, college, pro. So of course he's not happy. Sounds like its pretty final to me unless LeSean is refusing to go to Buffalo."

WTF. This is just about the stupidest thing I have ever seen. So he can only play professional football for the eagles or steelers? And having to go allllllll the way to an adjacent state is just too far away to deal with??

Almost none of this is true except the cap hit

2014 - McCoy: 1500 all purpose yards and 5 TDs

Alonso: 0 tackles, 0 sacks, 0 ints, 0 forced fumbles, 0 fumble recoveries, 0 tackles for a loss.

I'm seriously shocked that any NFL football fan is not aware of how special Shady is... This is not just any RB... And he is only 26...He's special...Special players tend to do special things...

Now I'm not saying Shady is Thurman-good...I would never say that...But I'm just saying...From age 27-30 (4 seasons) Thurman had 4446 yds rushing, 1210 yds receiving and 31 TD's combined...

Thurman's first 6 years - 7631 yards...1731 attempts...3053 receiving yards on 295 catches...57 combined TD's...

Shady's first 6 seasons - 6792 yards...1461 attempts...2282 receiving yards on 300 catches...54 TD's combined...

Thurman had a season worth of carries more than McCoy had in their first 6 seasons...They both contributed big time in the passing game as well...And even at that pace Thurman still did pretty well in his next 4 years... I don't see any reason why Shady can't do about the same...And that's SO much better than what the Bills have currently...It's just night and day...

So anyway...I clearly think this was worth the gamble based on the fact that Shady has been an elite RB in this league over the past 5 years...Even if it turns out he is on the decline it was worth the gamble...Because if Shady returns to 2013 form this Offense just took a quantum leap forward... B-)

Guys,

I am out of the country and just saw this. Jaw dropping for sure. Some quick thoughts:

- was looking forward to seeing Kiko in the new D with so many probowlers in the front line

- quite unsure about how many years McCoy can contribute but he is top shelf talent at the position

- much as Whaley has fallen short in the QB area and the jury is stilll out on the OL. One thing we have learned with no dohbts is that Whaley knows his LBers. He has added significant talent including Brown. If there was one area we could afford to give up a player, it was this one.

- Ryan does more for a D with lesser talent

- I wish a stunning trade of this type was available for a QB

While serviceable backs could be had in the draft, did we have any guarantee we would be able to land a guy in the 2nd round or after that we would trust to get 25 touches in game? Did we have any guarantee Kiko would return 100% and be one of the best LB's in football, as hat seems to be his perceived value to many on the forum.. What guarantee we do have is one of the top 3 RB's in the NFL plays for the Bills and he's 26 years old.

We had one of the best defenses in football last year without Kiko and we all know Rex is going to turn this defense into a nightmare. He always does every place he has gone, with less talent to work with in some instances. RB parity seems to be the consensus outlook, but a few backs stand out above the rest and can nearly have QB impact levels. McCoy is ether in that class or as close to it as you could possibly get. He's the centerpiece of the offense instantly and no other player in FA or in the draft is capable of fitting that description. Great trade.

While serviceable backs could be had in the draft, did we have any guarantee we would be able to land a guy in the 2nd round or after that we would trust to get 25 touches in game? Did we have any guarantee Kiko would return 100% and be one of the best LB's in football, as hat seems to be his perceived value to many on the forum.. What guarantee we do have is one of the top 3 RB's in the NFL plays for the Bills and he's 26 years old.

We had one of the best defenses in football last year without Kiko and we all know Rex is going to turn this defense into a nightmare. He always does every place he has gone, with less talent to work with in some instances. RB parity seems to be the consensus outlook, but a few backs stand out above the rest and can nearly have QB impact levels. McCoy is ether in that class or as close to it as you could possibly get. He's the centerpiece of the offense instantly and no other player in FA or in the draft is capable of fitting that description. Great trade.

Not a fan of this trade (yet), but ... a couple o.k. offensive lineman and any kind of serviceable QB and this offense will be fun to watch ...

Exactly... :thumbsup:

Boy, that will teach me to not buy the Southwest wifi when I'm traveling.

Initial reaction is positive. Not too often you get a shot at a multi-All Pro RB with tread still on the tires for a good-but-not great LB straight up. With three more years on an expensive but manageable contract to boot.

The rest of the cap budget has to go to OL help, but if Mario restructures, we might be able to add a TE and some complimentary pieces. This could be really interesting.

The only downside I see is that I've already used up my 16-pages of 'ignore users' and have nowhere to put anymore...which, after reading just the first three pages of this thread is a BIG problem. Come on SDS, we really have to expand this limit to 30 or so pages.....

Nobody jumps for joy getting traded to Buffalo. He'll get over that stat when he talks to Freddie, see's the Rex/Roman offense and feels the incredible support of the 716. Doesn't worry me a bit. Great trade. Kiku was expendable and we needed a #1 back.

I'm no Leroi, so this is only a hunch: Sanchez signs, and he does it right as soon as free agency opens. Just feels like one of those "I'll sign but you gotta get me some offensive weapons to work with" things.

I doubt that. Sanchez isn't the sort of QB (none of the UFA class are) that could possibly have influence to make that kind of demand.

I was originally confused by the deal, but I don't get the huge reaction.

1) Kiko is a good player coming off a major knee injury

2) After the injury, Kiko is just under contract for two more years, so all the talk about McCoy's age are irrelevant when you are really focusing on what you get the next couple years.

3) Rex is the D guy, and if he is willing to part with him for a RB, I think he has a plan for the Xs and Os.

4) RB is a position that has shown less value difference between average and very good and has had its value eroded. But this guy can play.

5) McCoy will take some time with the adjustment and disappointment, but he is going to a ground and pound team where he will be the centerpiece.

6) McCoy can talk about Pennsylvania, but please remind him that it is 1:07 from the Ralph to the PA border, and half that if he lets Dareus drive.

I'm reluctantly optimistic about this. I had been really excited about adding Kiko to our defense and trying to keep Spiller, but I think this can work out fine.

not necessary - he didn't do the job , that's the main issue.

the point I rebutted was that Kiko was "not good enough" to play MLB; I stand by my proposed correction that it was a matter of him not being big enough to play the Mike. Why do you think the Bills plan was to move him outside before he tore his ACL ?

Rbs are dime a dozen. Spare me he's a too 3 back. He will get a ton of carries. Of course he will get yards. And $12mm? I'd take Spiller @$3.5mm for 4 yrs and his special teams too. We have Jackson, Brown and Dixon. Dixon has one year left, Brown, too. Jackson has 2 yrs iirc.

So we get a high priced back for maybe 3 yrs max before he's spent. And lose out on a damn good WLB who may be a bit gimpy. Its an even trade for talent but there has to be more to this.

It makes no sense only because the money for McCoy. We must know something about Alonso.

PS. I hate the whole shady nickname.

This trade shows who is in charge in Buffalo, and it ain't Whaley. This is ALL Rex Ryan. Whaley is not trading his best draft pick (based on draft slot) for a RB.

Wow, I don't see that at all. This is another 'big balls' move by Whaley in the mold of the Watkins trade. Doug wants to win NOW, and he's going all in...

Edited by Lurker

Rbs are dime a dozen. Spare me he's a too 3 back. He will get a ton of carries. Of course he will get yards. And $12mm? I'd take Spiller @$3.5mm for 4 yrs and his special teams too. We have Jackson, Brown and Dixon. Dixon has one year left, Brown, too. Jackson has 2 yrs iirc.

So we get a high priced back for maybe 3 yrs max before he's spent. And lose out on a damn good WLB who may be a bit gimpy. Its an even trade for talent but there has to be more to this.

It makes no sense only because the money for McCoy. We must know something about Alonso.

PS. I hate the whole shady nickname.

His cap number is completely irrelevant. He's only got $1 million in guaranteed money left, which means he'll be renegotiating before he's a Bill. His cap number will be reduced. By how much, we'll see.

It's of absolutely zero surprise that you don't like the shady nickname either. :lol:

I was in Vegas two years ago when the Lions played at Philly, it was a memorable game for me as I was visiting the old man and hand't seen him in a few years. The snow was as bad as the Bills game at Cleveland about 6-7 years ago that Edwards started in. Players couldn't move. In the second half McCoy was making cuts that seemed to defy logic. He was untouchable. It reminded me of the 6 TD performance Gale Sayers had in the rain. His ability to maintain his balance was just so far ahead of any other player on the field in those conditions. After seeing that performance, thinking about about the type of weather we get, it's going to be exciting to watch this guy in December. McCoy rushed for 217 yards in that game against a very good Lions run defense.