Josh McCown anybody? Update: Is a Brown...end of story.

LY? Really?

I really don't want to argue for EJ as I'm not a fan of his but Geno Smith is brutal and the last thing you want in leadership. But I don't want to get into a pi$$ing contest about who's better EJ or Geno. I'd take EJ but I would rather not have to make that choice

Edited by MOVALLEYRANDY

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just so that I'm clear, two guys, McCown and Locker, who are currently not under contract are going to battle it out. McCown could be under contract by tomorrow, but Locker? Neither he nor his agent are allowed to even have a conversation with anyone from any team. Yet it is a forgone conclusion that Locker and his agent will choose Buffalo over any other team? To many variables, sorry, I don't care how inside some one may be but no one could know any of that.

I think since Locker was in parentheses it was more of a for instance.

My D1 college hockey coach said to me one time years ago, " We are not in the business of being fair, and giving people chances." Those who think EJ has been unfairly treated should remember this is the NFL

thank you. being a good kid who works hard entitles you to absolutely nothing.

The last two times the Bills tried to develop a young QB (Losman and Edwards) they stuck with both of them for way too long, well after it was clear they weren't going to succeed. I'm glad to see that this has likely changed.

Edited by billsfaninmanhattan

Unlike Marrone, Whaley is not a "cut off your nose to spite your face" kind of guy. Whaley is Mr. Poker Face in Shades. He currently has one of 32 GM jobs in the NFL. He worked 10 years at the Steelers and 3 years as Assistant GM to get there, and leaving the team in the lurch just before the GM's busiest time of the year would be a sure way to trash his rep in the league. He's not walking.

So I think you can put that fear to rest.

As for McCown, meh. It's a weak FA crop and right now he's one of the few that a team can hold discussions with until March 7th. I'm with the "wait and see" suggestions of John from Hemet and others.

hope you are right on Whaley

The Leroi report makes very little sense to me. I'll believe it when I see it. The only way it makes any sense is if Whaley absolutely hates EJ as a prospect now, which I highly, highly doubt.

Not to mention, they probably are pretty sure they are getting McCown, but are not sure. And they have no idea right now if they are getting Locker, especially if they sign McCown. I understand he is saying two days into FA, and that is when they would know if they had another potential starter like Locker. But even so, Roman and Rex are the guys that need to decide if EJ has any talent, chance, worth, etc, and there is no reason at all not to send him through OTAs and let Rex Roman decide for themselves.

If they know he sucks and there are no plans whatsoever they would have already cut him.

100%.

My fear is that the "reported" EJ move in March would precede a Whaley exit. Rex reporting to Pegs. Doesn't want EJ on team. Trumps Whaley. Whaley leaves.

If there was a franchise QB and a guy better than EJ as a backup I'm not upset. That is clearly not the case with the mccown/locker report. So it makes me sick to think I was so excited for this year and the QB plan looks worse than I ever imagined.

There's zero chance, even if they cut EJ (which makes zero sense), Whaley leaves. Don't fear.

There is no doubt that when Whaley and the Pegula's interviewed Rex for the HCing job a priority question was what his evaluation of EJ was. The same critical question also had to have been brought up with Roman. I'm not going to guess what their views are but if Leroi is right in his "inside conjecture" then the outlook for EJ has to be very questionable.

If both Rex and Roman have negative views on EJ then eventually he will be cut or traded. But they are not going to take that dispatching action until they have another qb in the fold. That would be the prudent thing to do.

The prudent thing to do, especially because of the cap hit, is to see with your own eyes how he responds to your coaching. Anything else is folly IMO...(in case you think I'm enamored with EJ I'd suggest you dig up some threads from last off season),

Seems like a bad practice for coaches who are getting paid to put down their players and potentially effect their professional earnings. Like why woulda recruit ever trust a coach who did that.

to say it publically you are correct...privately is another matter. Like why would a NFL GM/scout/HC ever trust a coach who steered them wrong on a player?

yes. I and other posters have connections on other teams.

Players like Manuel, who seems to have no defenders in the NFL, have no trade value. He may be scarfed up by another team if he is cut, but no one is going to be stupid enough to trade for him given how he's looked and the proverbial word on the street regarding his accuracy and recognition skills.

Edited by dave mcbride

I really don't want to argue for EJ as I'm not a fan of his but Geno Smith is brutal and the last thing you want in leadership. But I don't want to get into a pi$$ing contest about who's better EJ or Geno. I'd take EJ but I would rather not have to make that choice

No I just couldn't believe you used the acronym "LY" to refer to last year. I almost feel like it takes longer to type LY than last year on account of having to reach for the shift key to capitalize LY.

Players like Manuel, who seems to have no defenders in the NFL, have no trade value. He may be scarfed up by another team if he is cut, but no one is going to be stupid enough to trade for him given how he's looked and the proverbial word on the street regarding his accuracy and recognition skills.

Amazing how you polled the entire NFL. Blaine Gabbert got traded for a pick and people thought he was scared to play.

It's just hikaruous hiw people act like Manuel is the wirst qb ever. You guys would have run guys like Locker, McCown, Orton out of town after their first 2 years.

I never care how guys do after the leave the Bills. But I will be rooting like hell for guys like Spiller and Manuel to get better treatment on a different team. I've never seen two classy players who have had moments get consistently trashed by Bills fans.