Josh McCown anybody? Update: Is a Brown...end of story.

Fair enough but Marrone turned a 9-7 job into offensive line coach on an invisible franchise. I don't think he gets as much respect as you think he does.

Great coaches are cocky. If I was Chip Kelly, I'd love to kick the tires on EJ, a big recruit of Oregen when he was there. He probably laughs at Nate Hackett.

or Arians the QB guru who was down to Ryan Freaking Lindley last year. He would snap him up.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave, with respect, you mentioned "recent NFL history", so why go back 10-15 years?

I just did the homework back to 2007 using Pro Football Reference.

I went back to 2007 to get to some real busts.

In that time, 21 QB were drafted in the 1st round.

The only QB without "character issues" cut without compensation whilst still under contract was Brandon Weedon. At 30 years of age, having completed 52.8% of passes in his 2nd year and thrown an equal number of TDs and INTs, he apparently had no trade value.

For character concerns, Jamarcus Russell was cut after 3 seasons, having shown up to training camp massively obese and with rumored substance abuse issues that resulted in arrests after the cut.

For the rest:

Gabbert traded for a 6th after 3 seasons

Tebow and a 7th traded for a 4th and 6th

Quinn traded for a player and a 6th after 3 years

Freeman released in his 5th season

Ponder played out contract and became FA

So I don't think that "recent NFL history" supports cutting a former 1st round pick without character concerns after 2 seasons and not being able to get compensation.

Good post. And there were some character concerns with Freeman. And EJ had a better rookie year than all of those guys.

Dave, with respect, you mentioned "recent NFL history", so why go back 10-15 years?

I just did the homework back to 2007 using Pro Football Reference.

I went back to 2007 to get to some real busts.

In that time, 21 QB were drafted in the 1st round.

The only QB without "character issues" cut without compensation whilst still under contract was Brandon Weedon. At 30 years of age, having completed 52.8% of passes in his 2nd year and thrown an equal number of TDs and INTs, he apparently had no trade value.

For character concerns, Jamarcus Russell was cut after 3 seasons, having shown up to training camp massively obese and with rumored substance abuse issues that resulted in arrests after the cut.

For the rest:

Gabbert traded for a 6th after 3 seasons

Tebow and a 7th traded for a 4th and 6th

Quinn traded for a player and a 6th after 3 years

Freeman released in his 5th season

Ponder played out contract and became FA

So I don't think that "recent NFL history" supports cutting a former 1st round pick without character concerns after 2 seasons and not being able to get compensation.

I'm not advocating a cut! I'm just saying that these guys are generally untradeable (save for gabbert). I'm presuming that just about all of theses teams tried to unload the patrick ramseys, vince youngs, and jo losmans of the league but couldn't find takers. The real option is to hold on to the guy or cut bait. The bills are somewhat unique in that they've undergone a massive regime change (new owner, hiring rex, etc.).

Let me restate my basic point - perceived qb busts almost never have any trade value despite what fans want to believe.

Edited by dave mcbride

Hi JohnC where is the quote from?

I hear you on the preconceived notion but if the preconceived notion Rex and Roman have turns out to be "EJ ain't fixable" all the stuff they've been quoted as saying about giving EJ a clean slate and seeing good stuff from him would sit very poorly with me. Like I said elsewhere everyone understands they can't commit to him and no one expects the coaching staff to be 100% honest at this time of year, but they've gone further than they had to publically in saying positive things about EJ to do so much of an about face as dump him early in FA if that is indeed the plan. They will deservedly lose credibility (with me anyhow, and IMO with media) if that actually happens.

That quote was my quote. It was in response to a statement made by Beerball.

Whenever a coach or front office staffer is asked about what their thoughts are about a player don't expect a candid back office response. You are going to get the standard platitudinous response.

Rex has been a HC in the AFCE for the past few years. He has watched the tape and is familiar with our roster before he even joined the team. So it is not too surprising that he has opinions on players before he joined the Bills.

For the most part discount what is being said in public. It would be damaging to the team/player relationship to be very candid in public forums. The best way to find out what they think is to observe what they do with their personnel moves rather than listen to the standard blather that is offered.

Whenever a coach or front office staffer is asked about what their thoughts are about a player don't expect a candid back office response. You are going to get the standard platitudinous response.

Rex has been a HC in the AFCE for the past few years. He has watched the tape and is familiar with our roster before he even joined the team. So it is not too surprising that he has opinions on players before he joined the Bills.

For the most part discount what is being said in public. It would be damaging to the team/player relationship to be very candid in public forums. The best way to find out what they think is to observe what they do with their personnel moves rather than listen to the standard blather that is offered.

I wonder if he watched tape of this QB: 20-28, 71.4%, 245 yards, 8.8 ypa, 2 tds, 121.9 qb rating.

Because that was Manuel's last start against the Jets.

I don't think I said anything about public statements, they mean nothing. I responded to someone saying that cutting EJ was the prudent thing to do (IIRC). To me that's not prudent, it's foolish on several levels.

I wonder if he watched tape of this QB: 20-28, 71.4%, 245 yards, 8.8 ypa, 2 tds, 121.9 qb rating.

Because that was Manuel's last start against the Jets.

Pretty sure Rex commented on his performance that game in an interview he did with Brown or Murphy.

It seems like only yesterday everyone was over the top about the team purchase by Pegula and the quick hire of Rex Ryan.

One rumor that EJ may be cut and one word that McCown is hammering out details, and suddenly virtually everyone is convinced it's the same old Bills and this team is going to suck forever and ever.

And here I thought the off season would be boring.

We are desperate to find an alternative to EJ.

We feel McCown is an upgrade to Orton.

Roman and him are good friends. Look for this to be completed tomorrow AM, also look for EJ to be cut two days after FA opens.

Imo

Either you made this up or someone's feeding you false information. All the reports were that head coaching candidates were on board with developing EJ Manuel.

Manuel's contract is nothing right now. The Bills would be beyond idiotic to cut a young QB with size, athletic ability and raw talent who was coached by the worst coaching staff in the league. The only reason I would understand him getting cut is if he "big timed" or disrespected Rex or Roman in some way. Which it's absurd even thinking that he did something like that.

If they cut Manuel then I will be on the warpath. The gloves will be off. They will get absolutely roasted by me every day on this board.

IMO the ONLY people desperate to find an alternative to EJ. are the microwave society. They want an instant HOF QB as the #1 and don't want to wait for someone to grow.

They'd rather start dumb rumors about EJ getting cut and bloviate about how any FA has been is better than EJ.

The facts are we don''t have an adequate sample of EJ's abilities from a grand total of 14 games in two different offensive systems.

IMO the ONLY people desperate to find an alternative to EJ. are the microwave society. They want an instant HOF QB as the #1 and don't want to wait for someone to grow.

They'd rather start dumb rumors about EJ getting cut and bloviate about how any FA has been is better than EJ.

The facts are we don''t have an adequate sample of EJ's abilities from a grand total of 14 games in two different offensive systems.

Personally, I don't think that EJ will ever be a franchise QB. His slow eyes and lack of accuracy make me feel this way. Also, this team isn't in position to develop a QB. They are a 9 win team with bad QB play.

With that being said, releasing him is a terrible idea (especially for McCown). If they traded him as a part of a package to get a starter I would be okay but Locker, McCown and a QB in this draft isn't exciting to me. EJ should be given a chance with this regime.

Either you made this up or someone's feeding you false information. All the reports were that head coaching candidates were on board with developing EJ Manuel.

Manuel's contract is nothing right now. The Bills would be beyond idiotic to cut a young QB with size, athletic ability and raw talent who was coached by the worst coaching staff in the league. The only reason I would understand him getting cut is if he "big timed" or disrespected Rex or Roman in some way. Which it's absurd even thinking that he did something like that.

If they cut Manuel then I will be on the warpath. The gloves will be off. They will get absolutely roasted by me every day on this board.

Cutting Manuel does nothing to benefit the Bills. It cost more to cut him than keep him. Unless he's an attitude problem (and there's no evidence of that), then cutting him is pointless. Sounds more like an anti-EJ troll comment than an inside sources tidbit.