Josh McCown anybody? Update: Is a Brown...end of story.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A big reason why EJM didn't improve in his 2nd year, is because they weren't running the hurry up, which allowed for simpler reads.

EJM needs lots of work, and I don't think Rex Ryan knows how to create the right environment for developing QB's. I don't believe any QB will reach their full potential under Ryan.

McCown, Sanchez, et al... it won't matter much, because they will be playing small ball, and only attempting throws that are within the capabilities of most NFL journeymen.

Your simple poll is a ruse. Total BS

next time try an honest one

Like what, I don't know but I want to make my decision after the question has already been answered? We are going to approach this like the staff has to. Will he be a franchise QB? That is a decision that has to be made now not with the benefit of hindsight. Sorry it didn't work out as you expected.

Like what, I don't know but I want to make my decision after the question has already been answered? We are going to approach this like the staff has to. Will he be a franchise QB? That is a decision that has to be made now not with the benefit of hindsight. Sorry it didn't work out as you expected.

We don't have anywhere near the amount of information to work with that "the staff" does. We haven't even seen him throw a pass since week 4. It's a silly poll.

We don't have anywhere near the amount of information to work with that "the staff" does. We haven't even seen him throw a pass since week 4. It's a silly poll.

Then vote yes....I don't think that we know if he will be or not. I went from a 35% chance before last year to a 5% chance after week 4. I'm actually back up to 10% based on what a professional he is. He is a mature and good pro. At a 10% chance though I voted no.

Wow...

Going on what now? 2 days?

Still not contract?

Why is this taking so long? He is a 35 year old back up!

CBF

Agree. This is taking way too long. My guess is it doesn't get done. I read that he was also negotiating with Cleveland and my guess is that's where he ends up.

I don't know how you can say that because it's not a clear cut case with EJ, whose draft status benefited from a bad QB class. It was discussed at the time, and becoming more clear that in a different draft year, EJ is likely a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Other GMs don't care where he was drafted. They care about ability and potential. On that scale you should also compare his trade value to 2nd round QBs, and nearly all of those were cut without any trade value.

There are outliers who were drafted later on and were traded for picks, but the lack of playing time and playing on a strong, winning team helps their trade stock. Middling QBs from losing programs don't attract much value.

Exactly. Which is why former 1st round picks whose drafting franchise isn't sold on them, typically don't claim much on the trading block - but they do claim something, because the pool of available QB who have shown any proven ability to play in the NFL is small and the demand high.

The comparator group wouldn't be *all* 2nd round QB, it would be 2nd round QB who have played in the NFL, and shown some flashes of ability - and most 1st round QB these days get a look, while only some 2nd round QB do.

Here's the summary of the 2nd round QB drafted during the same period 2014-2007. 6 of 13 are still with their original team so presumably have value to that team. I would expect that should the team try to trade them, they would have some value (Carr, Garroppolo, Smith, Osweiler, Dalton, Kaepernick), right now the point is moot. Clausen had no trade value because he completed a low percentage of his passes (52%) and threw 3x as many INTs as TDs, in addition to fumbling a lot. LIkewise Beck. Stanton spent his first 2 seasons on IR and played out his contract with the Lions before signing as a FA with the Jets, but since he showed flashes with the Lions, he brought the Jets a 6th round pick without having played a down for them. Brohm and White had no trade value because they hadn't shown any ability in the NFL. Kolb, who played and did reasonably well, brought a quality player and a 2nd round pick to the Eagles.

IMO it's the same story - a QB drafted in the 2nd round who has shown ability to play in the NFL and has no character issues, even if not at a "sure fire starter" level, has trade value just like a 1st round QB. It may be low trade value - a 6th or 7th - but it's there. A QB who either hasn't shown anything in the NFL (Brohm, White), or who has played very badly (Weedon in the 1st, Clausen and Beck in the 2nd) does not have trade value. And by "played badly" I don't mean EJ Manuel level of "played badly" which means uneven up and down play, some games good, some awful - I mean completions less than 55% and several times more fumbles and INTs than TDs.

According to how he reportedly acted after he was drafted, I think I fixed that for you.

How did he act? I must be late to the fair I heard he behaved badly after Watkins but that he acted like a douche in year 1 after EJ, too?

Edited by Hopeful

IMO it's the same story - a QB drafted in the 2nd round who has shown ability to play in the NFL and has no character issues, even if not at a "sure fire starter" level, has trade value just like a 1st round QB. It may be low trade value - a 6th or 7th - but it's there. A QB who either hasn't shown anything in the NFL (Brohm, White), or who has played very badly (Weedon in the 1st, Clausen and Beck in the 2nd) does not have trade value. And by "played badly" I don't mean EJ Manuel level of "played badly" which means uneven up and down play, some games good, some awful - I mean completions less than 55% and several times more fumbles and INTs than TDs.

Again, this is solely on speculation of Leroi's tip - if the Bills are planning to cut him that indicates that there is no trade value. It's not how Whaley, nor other team operates. There is no prohibition in teams contacting one another to discuss possible trades. They just can't be executed until March 10. Presumably Leroi threw the second day of FA as the date, is to give hope that someone still bites on day 1 of FA.

In any event, we're splitting hairs between no value and a 7th round pick.

How did he act? I must be late to the fair I heard he behaved badly after Watkins but that he acted like a douche in year 1 after EJ, too?

Sure, why not. As soon as anyone leaves this organization they become evil incarnate. He may or may not have killed a puppy, we can't say for sure.

Sorry I worded that wrong. He was "irked" that the trade for Watkins wasn't for a QB. But wouldn't be surprised if he was a douche for the EJ pick as well.

Marrone was not in favor of Buffalo surrendering a future first-round pick to the Cleveland Browns in a trade that did not involve a quarterback, sources said.

A scary thought, did Marrone want to draft , trade and acquire better FA's then Whaley? Is that why he quit?

Tampa benched Glennon in order to finish last and get the 1st pick? Is that why Ryan wants to bring in McCown?

Sorry I worded that wrong. He was "irked" that the trade for Watkins wasn't for a QB. But wouldn't be surprised if he was a douche for the EJ pick as well.

i believe that actually meant that he wasn't in favor of any trade in any year that gave up a first rounder unless it was for a QB (as a general principal). Not necessarily that he only wanted to trade up in 2014 if it yielded Blake Bortles. Edited by YoloinOhio

What a miserable situation and discussion we have to have.

So true. I think that next year it's much more possible a big name, long-in-the-tooth veteran like Ben, Eli or Drew will become available for the Bills in a trade (goodbye 2016 1st round pick) and until then it's wait to see if Manuel breaks out and nails the landing this year.

i believe that actually meant that he wasn't in favor of any trade in any year that gave up a first rounder unless it was for a QB (as a general principal). Not necessarily that he only wanted to trade up in 2014 if it yielded Blake Bortles.

I guess that makes sense. Just felt like with the way things unfolded through the season and the "fight" in training camp between Russ, Doug and Marrone made it seem he didn't want any of the QB's he currently had. Speculation of course.