Josh McCown anybody? Update: Is a Brown...end of story.

The Leroi report makes very little sense to me. I'll believe it when I see it. The only way it makes any sense is if Whaley absolutely hates EJ as a prospect now, which I highly, highly doubt.

Not to mention, they probably are pretty sure they are getting McCown, but are not sure. And they have no idea right now if they are getting Locker, especially if they sign McCown. I understand he is saying two days into FA, and that is when they would know if they had another potential starter like Locker. But even so, Roman and Rex are the guys that need to decide if EJ has any talent, chance, worth, etc, and there is no reason at all not to send him through OTAs and let Rex Roman decide for themselves.

If they know he sucks and there are no plans whatsoever they would have already cut him.

There is no doubt that when Whaley and the Pegula's interviewed Rex for the HCing job a priority question was what his evaluation of EJ was. The same critical question also had to have been brought up with Roman. I'm not going to guess what their views are but if Leroi is right in his "inside conjecture" then the outlook for EJ has to be very questionable.

If both Rex and Roman have negative views on EJ then eventually he will be cut or traded. But they are not going to take that dispatching action until they have another qb in the fold. That would be the prudent thing to do.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They will find a suitable backup (Locker) cut EJ and Teul and draft a 3rd stringer project.

McCwn and Locker battle it out in TC, with McCown eventually taking the starting spot.

Unfortunately, EJ is not in our future plans.

Imo

Go Bills!

He/she called some big stuff well ahead of the curve. Rex, Roman etc. I 'laughed' then....I'm not laughing now.

I agree

Not happy as a fan that the Bills will essentially admit wasting a first round pick on a QB...but hey we got Kiko with the extra pick received from the Rams.

Buddy was hell bent on taking a QB before he semi-retired and that was all that mattered. It was a risk. They take them all the time. But lets be honest with ourselves for a minute. We have all watched the games...inaccurate, somewhat fragile (3 injuries all on scrambles or runs), a maddening inability to audible, slow reads...if I were Ryan and Roman I would be scared too...even as a back-up he is going to get game time. We have a D that is primed to win now -- and that will be fleeting. Get someone in here in whom they have more confidence.

I don't feel great about cutting EJ for lots of reasons--it makes the organization appear very inept... -- but if we get two players in who give us a better chance to win right now -- I am okay with that. I have a strong feeling EJ Manuel will never come back to haunt the Bills if the Bills cut him. Flame away..but I am with Roman and Ryan on this if its the direction.

Edited by Formerly Joe F

They will find a suitable backup (Locker) cut EJ and Teul and draft a 3rd stringer project.

McCwn and Locker battle it out in TC, with McCown eventually taking the starting spot.

Unfortunately, EJ is not in our future plans.

Imo

Everyone taking this guy as insider because of the "text from Whaley" "Rex 2nd interview" "Roman OC" thing

I asked before and my post got purged by the mods - if you are indeed an insider, why on earth would you leak that EJ isn't in the Bills future plans?

Isn't that contrary to the interests of the organization because by gum, even Gabbert who played like total stinking poop for 3 years brought a 6th in trade. So why would someone with real inside scoop go against the interests of the organization to say EJ has no trade value whatsoever 'cuz if someone wants to take a chance on him just wait, we'll just cut him and soon too.

What about all the reports that Whaley interviewed coaches making it clear we wanted to have someone who would give EJ a chance? All smoke and mirrors?

I don't mind McCown. It has been clear that the Bills should sign a FA (or two) and draft someone. More possible strings to the bow, it's all good. It's the "cut EJ 2 days into FA" that makes no freakin' sense to me. It doesn't even make sense as a cap move, his contract is modest but guaranteed.

Locker as a backup - mmmmm, sturdiness in a backup seems a desireable trait.

Everyone taking this guy as insider because of the "text from Whaley" "Rex 2nd interview" "Roman OC" thing

I asked before and my post got purged by the mods - if you are indeed an insider, why on earth would you leak that EJ isn't in the Bills future plans?

Isn't that contrary to the interests of the organization because by gum, even Gabbert who played like total stinking poop for 3 years brought a 6th in trade. So why would someone with real inside scoop go against the interests of the organization to say EJ has no trade value whatsoever 'cuz if someone wants to take a chance on him just wait, we'll just cut him and soon too.

What about all the reports that Whaley interviewed coaches making it clear we wanted to have someone who would give EJ a chance? All smoke and mirrors?

I don't mind McCown. It has been clear that the Bills should sign a FA (or two) and draft someone. More possible strings to the bow, it's all good. It's the "cut EJ 2 days into FA" that makes no freakin' sense to me. It doesn't even make sense as a cap move, his contract is modest but guaranteed.

Locker as a backup - mmmmm, sturdiness in a backup seems a desireable trait.

Hopeful I think in this case it is just best to wait and see......

I wouldnt call Leroi out at this point....u dont have to take it as gospel.....u dont have to say you dont belive it......just sit back and see what happens.

Not happy as a fan that the Bills will essentially admit wasting a first round pick on a QB...but hey we got Kiko with the extra pick received from the Rams.

Buddy was hell bent on taking a QB before he semi-retired and that was all that mattered. It was a risk. They take them all the time. But lets be honest with ourselves for a minute. We have all watched the games...inaccurate, somewhat fragile (3 injuries all on scrambles or runs), a maddening inability to audible, slow reads...if I were Ryan and Roman I would be scared too...even as a back-up he is going to get game time. We have a D that is primed to win now -- and that will be fleeting. Get someone in here in whom they have more confidence.

I don't feel great about cutting EJ for lots of reasons--it makes the organization appear very inept... -- but if we get two players in who give us a better chance to win right now -- I am okay with that. I have a strong feeling EJ Manuel will never come back to haunt the Bills if the Bills cut him. Flame away..but I am with Roman and Ryan on this if its the direction.

1) Locker and McCown have worse career records than Manuel. Manuel has basically the same qb rating as Locker and a better one than McCown.

2) has Rex ever shown any ability in relation to evaluating qb play? And hopefully he proves himself, but Roman had Harvaugh behind him. He hasn't yet been in his own.

Again, I hope this is wrong because to just cut a young player without evaluating him first hand seems mindblowingly dumb.

No offense intended here: just because your son and the OC at Miami University don't think EJ will be a franchise QB (or even a game manager) doesn't exactly hold sway with me. Stating it as though it were fact, after only 14 games, is silly IMO.

Regardless, it's just as unwise to assume he will become a franchise QB, hence the importance of adding both a veteran that can compete and a rookie that can grow.

He was the OFF co. @ FSU when EJ was there. He is now @ Miami and I'll take the opinions about EJ from his own coach along with my son who is also a paid college coach rather than yours or mine. Easy to be a draft guru with a keyboard. Much different when your job demands you be right. But no offense to your expertise

Edited by MOVALLEYRANDY

He was the OFF co. @ FSU when EJ was there. He is now @ Miami and I'll take the opinions about EJ from his own coach along with my son who is also a paid college coach rather than yours or mine. Easy to be a draft guru with a keyboard. Much different when your job demands you be right. But no offense to your expertise

Seems like a bad practice for coaches who are getting paid to put down their players and potentially effect their professional earnings. Like why woulda recruit ever trust a coach who did that.

Hopeful I think in this case it is just best to wait and see......

I wouldnt call Leroi out at this point....u dont have to take it as gospel.....u dont have to say you dont belive it......just sit back and see what happens.

I'm sorry, it's not intended as a calling him out. If he's an insider, I think that's a very reasonable question to ask....loose lips sink ships, why deep-6 any possible trade value?

Just so that I'm clear, two guys, McCown and Locker, who are currently not under contract are going to battle it out. McCown could be under contract by tomorrow, but Locker? Neither he nor his agent are allowed to even have a conversation with anyone from any team. Yet it is a forgone conclusion that Locker and his agent will choose Buffalo over any other team? To many variables, sorry, I don't care how inside some one may be but no one could know any of that.

Edited by chris heff

1) Locker and McCown have worse career records than Manuel. Manuel has basically the same qb rating as Locker and a better one than McCown.

2) has Rex ever shown any ability in relation to evaluating qb play? And hopefully he proves himself, but Roman had Harvaugh behind him. He hasn't yet been in his own.

Again, I hope this is wrong because to just cut a young player without evaluating him first hand seems mindblowingly dumb.

Totally understand your perspective C...understand mine.

EJ has the least feel for the position of the three. He can't improvise--he will do what the coaches ask but can't take what he has learned and apply it to a different look. Last year is a prime example. He was told not to tuck and run because they were worried he was fragile. He didn't run even when he felt like he had to and he looked even more like a robot. He can't look off, he can't read, he can't adjust....he can't play in the NFL...I know its harsh but its what I see. Do I love McCown and Locker -- no way--I want friggin Andrew Luck...but I believe both McCown and Locker are better for the Bills next year than Manuel. I have seen both Locker and McCown display at least the basic skill set of an NFL QB.

Again -- my opinion...

One last thing--sorry for the late addition--if Roman and Ryan believe EJ is not salvageable -- there is no better time to get rid of him than now....they are saddled with him being their guy -- even if they keep him for a year....This is actually showing me that Rex learned a lesson from his Jets tenure.

Edited by Formerly Joe F

They brought in Palmer because it was clear that Thad and Tuel were not cutting it as backups and proved it when they cut all three of them. They kept EJ.

I agree that Palmer was brought in to be a backup. The point I'm trying to illustrate is that EJ was a disaster at camp last year and he didn't "win" the job as much as it was defaulted to him -- after all the riff-raff was cut he was the only guy left.

Just so that I'm clear, two guys, McCown and Locker, who are currently not under contract are going to battle it out. McCown could be under contract by tomorrow, but Locker? Neither he nor his agent are allowed to even have a conversation with anyone from any team. Yet it is a forgone conclusion that Locker and his agent will choose Buffalo over any other team? To many variables, sorry, I don't care how inside some one may be but no one could know any of that.

I believe that he is saying that this is the bills plan and not that it is predicting the future.

It means things can go wrong like not picking up locker because someone offered more money or whatever, but it also makes it very hard for Leroi to be wrong or proven right unless someone from the bills org confirms or denies which will likely never happen.

Edited by What a Tuel

I never claimed expertise; you actually championed your info as expert-based.

I simply said I don't agree with the OC of Miami on EJ.

I also find it odd that somehow all of these FSU coaches don't believe in EJ, yet they found him perfectly suitable to go 4-0 in bowl games and subsequently recommend him as a draft prospect.

I would think that a guy who's job demands he be right wouldn't be so fast to claim that the QB he coached can't make it in the NFL...what would that say about said coach?

Also, I trust the opinions of area scouts more than college coordinators, and there are a few folks on this board that know them and have been vocal about their opinions regarding EJ.

Edited by thebandit27

My fear is that the "reported" EJ move in March would precede a Whaley exit. Rex reporting to Pegs. Doesn't want EJ on team. Trumps Whaley. Whaley leaves.

If there was a franchise QB and a guy better than EJ as a backup I'm not upset. That is clearly not the case with the mccown/locker report. So it makes me sick to think I was so excited for this year and the QB plan looks worse than I ever imagined.

Edited by YoloinOhio