Josh McCown anybody? Update: Is a Brown...end of story.

I'm with you 1000%...but we are in a dwindling minority. I still have hope for EJ...but it looks like he might get the axe.

Well for your sake, keep your fingers crossed that part of Rex's evaluation process does not involve watching game tape from last season and maybe they'll keep Manuel around.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care how Orton compares to any other mediocre qb in this league. After watching him perform last year I consider him to be unacceptable as a starting qb for us. If Whaley brought him back as a starter I would strongly advocate that Whaley be fired for incompetence.

I'm aware that McCown is an average to below-average qb at best. But at least he can move and is dedicated enough to work out in the offseason and come into camp fit, something that Orton didn't do.

Orton should have been benched and cut as soon as he slid short on 4th down.

This could be a breaking point. Whaley wants Manuel to get a shot at the job. If Ryan doesn't let him, I could see Whaley leaving.

IMO, that would be a mistake because I think Whaley has built a good roster.

sigh, can we please get a functional organization?! Wtf is that so much to ask? Whaley leaving would piss me off so much.

he has said it twice now (two separate occasions) I'm holding out hope its opinion too but I'm sick that it seems to be real info.

I really hope it's his opinion because I would start to question the direction we are going. Rex has a terrible record with Qbs. Sign Locker fine. But to cut EJ for a 12 year vet with a worse qb rating and record?

Wow people are really hopping around the jump to conclusions mat on this thread. Whaley leaving in a dispute over Manuel? Come on guys.

Haha probably. I just knows that Whaley really, really likes EJ and still has high hopes for him. If he doesn't get a least a shot to win the job, I think that would mean he is pretty powerless in the organization.

Unless I'm not understanding correctly.... EJ would cost us $5m in dead money if we cut him... Is he really so bad that we would spend $5m to get rid of him in favor of McCown and Locker? It really makes zero sense, and I'm officially not believing it.

Well for your sake, keep your fingers crossed that part of Rex's evaluation process does not involve watching game tape from last season and maybe they'll keep Manuel around.

I'm not ready to sign off on a QB after 14 games. Don't hand him anything...but to cut him now is bizarre. If they are convinced he sucks....and cut him. they better be right.

I don't care how Orton compares to any other mediocre qb in this league. After watching him perform last year I consider him to be unacceptable as a starting qb for us. If Whaley brought him back as a starter I would strongly advocate that Whaley be fired for incompetence.

I'm aware that McCown is an average to below-average qb at best. But at least he can move and is dedicated enough to work out in the offseason and come into camp fit, something that Orton didn't do.

I'm not saying that he was good. They needed to upgrade. I am simply putting the hyperbole check on. Compare Orton in the 2nd half to Hoyer and it isn't even close. Orton cannot be considered "the worst" for that reason.

Also, I am taking Leroi's word as gospel. He's earned it.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I like you Kirby but man do you overrate Bradford. He hasn't even been part of a team with a winning record in the pros much less the playoffs.

I pretty much agree with all of this. Our best bet is if EJ or another young guy transforms this year.

Guys like Hoyer, McCown, & Orton are just so whatever.

Make no mistake about which qb Rex is going to favor entering training camp. It is going to be the veteran qb over the younger and more physically imposing qb. One of the primary reasons why Rex went through such a disasterous season last year is that his young qb made poor decisions (making the right reads and protecting the ball) and was an erratic passer. Do you think that he wants to go through that same ordeal with his new team? Rex would be more than willing to have a care taker veteran qb who although very much limited as a player knows how to play and manage the game.

Rex is not a fool. EJ is going to be given a chance to compete with McCown or whoever is brought in. If he demonstrates that he is a better option he will be the starter. In my view the HC's bias is going to be leaning toward the more experienced qb. Whether EJ is the starter or not because of the injury factor in a long season he will be given an opportunity to get playing time.

This could be a breaking point. Whaley wants Manuel to get a shot at the job. If Ryan doesn't let him, I could see Whaley leaving.

IMO, that would be a mistake because I think Whaley has built a good roster.

You are assuming that Whaley's public statements on EJ were his true beliefs, always dangerous when you're talking about an NFL GM.

Personally I don't know why they'd cut EJ other than not enough off season snaps to go around. I'm not a fan, but, this is puzzling if true.

I suppose the 2nd day of FA is give. Because the Bills expect to sign a QB day 1.