Josh McCown anybody? Update: Is a Brown...end of story.

Similar, only in both are way too inaccurate for this league. EJ was only asked to look to one side of the field and then run @ FSU. Whereas Hundley took too many sacks that were his fault. Comparing the ball out of their hands only ----> they don't get to the target. Bottom line : Orton is gone and EJ is not going even a game manager. Would take McCown over EJ if only because EJ isn't the answer & McCown just might be for a year or two. The view on EJ came from coach James Coley @ a week long spring camp @ the University of North Carolina last spring when he visited during the week. My son, who coaches Div. 1 asked the difference between Jameis and EJ.

No offense intended here: just because your son and the OC at Miami University don't think EJ will be a franchise QB (or even a game manager) doesn't exactly hold sway with me. Stating it as though it were fact, after only 14 games, is silly IMO.

Regardless, it's just as unwise to assume he will become a franchise QB, hence the importance of adding both a veteran that can compete and a rookie that can grow.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope they are only Publicly Flirting with McCown because the Rams are asking too much for Bradford.

When the Rams see that we are moving on, they might just pick up the phone.

my prediction/opinion is that they plan on EJ starting and mccown as backup. I don't think they want Bradford unless StL is giving him away.

I hope they are only Publicly Flirting with McCown because the Rams are asking too much for Bradford.

When the Rams see that we are moving on, they might just pick up the phone.

Why the love for Bradford? Cause he's young and was once the #1 pick? Ryan Leaf once fell into that category too.

Bradford is mediocre and insanely injury prone and does not have the arm strength to play winter ball in Buffalo.

my prediction/opinion is that they plan on EJ starting and mccown as backup. I don't think they want Bradford unless StL is giving him away.

Disagree. I dont think they will bring in anybody who doesnt have a legitimate shot to beat out EJ. 2 reasons.

It will give EJ more time to learn/develop. And Its bad for morale if EJ is annointed the starter in a fake QB competition, when the whole team knows that QB is the only position holding this team back.

Disagree. I dont think they will bring in anybody who doesnt have a legitimate shot to beat out EJ. 2 reasons.

It will give EJ more time to learn/develop. And Its bad for morale if EJ is annointed the starter in a fake QB competition, when the whole team knows that QB is the only position holding this team back.

the OL, running game, OC and HC were also holding the team back.

IMO...

Orton at his best is slightly better than McCown at his best, despite McCown's one good year.

Orton of last year is no better than McCown of last year, or any year, despite stats.

If you just want him to manage a game, McCown is no better a chance and no worse a chance than any QB available right now.

The Bills with McCown are a much better team than the Bills without McCown right now.

The amount we will pay if we sign him does not guarantee him a starter job, or job at all.

The fact that we sign him (if we do) allows us to trade EJ if we trade for a more established QB. Not that EJ has a ton of worth in a trade, but, for example, if the Rams trade Bradford because they cannot get him to take a pay cut, then the Bills can include EJ in a package, and he can be their backup with the possibility of improving.

My choice for this kind of player is Matt Moore. But signing McCown early, while not inspiring, is reasonably smart.

Why the love for Bradford? Cause he's young and was once the #1 pick? Ryan Leaf once fell into that category too.

Bradford is mediocre and insanely injury prone and does not have the arm strength to play winter ball in Buffalo.

Because Bradford > McCown.

Because the money has to be spent under the cap and we have plenty.

Because we should get the best we can, even if its the best garbage.

IMO...

Orton at his best is slightly better than McCown at his best, despite McCown's one good year.

Orton of last year is no better than McCown of last year, or any year, despite stats.

I also have to believe that McCown with Ryan and Roman is MUCH better than Orton with Mallone and Hackett.

You must have never seen him play.

He went number one for a good reason. Bradford is very good when he is healthy

Yeah and Orton was viewed as a better option than EJ. EJ is going to have to improve in order to unseat Orton/McCown/jabroni veteran backup.

Obviously EJ will need to improve from his performance in the last 4 games he played, but his rookie year performance beats McCown/Orton. Towards the end of the season I wasn't seeing a difference between Orton and EJ. Orton was underthrowing receivers, leading them into big hits, and was a statue in the pocket. He was better his first 4-5 games but after that....

Edited by What a Tuel

Yeah and Orton was viewed as a better option than EJ. EJ is going to have to improve in order to unseat Orton/McCown/jabroni veteran backup.

he was viewed that way by a different coaching staff and was 2-2. It could be different going fwd, since he was better in his rookie year IMO.

You must have never seen him play.

He went number one for a good reason. Bradford is very good when he is healthy

I've seen him play plenty...'very good' is about as big of a reach as I've read in this forum.

Plus, "when he's healthy" is like saying "congress works well when they agree with each other"...

Also, touching on the "spend the money" argument...we need to pay our defensive stars like Dareus, not absorb Bradford's high contract (which was simply a product of being before the rookie wage scale). Not to mention there are decent FAs on the market that can help plug holes and give the Bills depth. Free agency is really there to help good teams over the hump, not make bad teams relevant. The Bills are on the cusp, so they absolutely need to spend money wisely in free agency to solidify their roster.

Those are your words not mine. I don't think that Orton is good but there are worse guys out there. It's just odd that you are now trashing the exact performance that you called "very good."

Orton was who Orton is and it was good enough to get them to 9 wins. I don't see McCown or EJ at that level currently. I would have much preferred a boom or bust type than a low ceiling journeyman. really don't care about the playoffs at all. I care about being in position to win a Super Bowl.

The Bills are not in a position to be a SB team this year under any circumstances. They don't have the caliber of qb that would allow them to compete at that high level. At this point they don't have the caliber of o-line either that would allow this team to be taken seriously as a SB contender. If you are not in a good situation to get your franchis qb that doesn't mean that you not should try to make the best out of the challenging situation.

There are no upper tier qbs available on the market and there are no qb draft prospects available to us that would alter the qb deficit. So you make do with a temporary solution and wait for a better environment to acquire your long-term qb. Maybe if Foles was availble a deal could be made. But as of yet the market is bare.

McCown is a very average qb at best. Orton was a mediocre qb who was fading fast. I maintain my contention that he was the worst starting qb in the league. Don't bother using statistics on me to prove otherwise. I trust my eyes more than his stats that were boosted by the end of the game prevent defenses. His performances after his first fews games were dreadful. The smartest thing he did and the right thing he did was retire immediately after the season.

If our front office was sincere in wanting him back they should be fired!

Please don't sign McCown, There's younger better options Locker, Mallet and Sanchez.

Sanchez has been tried that would have a stale affect to it, Locker can't stay healthy and has proven that his entire career. Mallet would be the best option if you like him- which i do not.

McCown is a good choice, he Orton like only 1) he can move 2) they are going to let the qb play