Josh McCown anybody? Update: Is a Brown...end of story.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They will find a suitable backup (Locker) cut EJ and Teul and draft a 3rd stringer project.

McCwn and Locker battle it out in TC, with McCown eventually taking the starting spot.

Unfortunately, EJ is not in our future plans.

Imo

You mean the things a HC and OC are suppose to help develop in a raw rookie? Instead we had Marrone fondling the oline to the point it was useless and JV doing was his boss told him to do.

It was a disservice having Hackett be both QB coach and OC the first year. It was a disservice to have a HC who was basically a glorified OL assistant in many ways. I keep going back to Jimbo Fisher saying EJ wouldn't be a good pro QB. It might have been a slip of the tongue -- but he had him for 5 frickin' years.....

exactly my point. it IS a team sport. You can't wish for a passing QB and expect wins. Also how many of Orton's passing yards were from YAC?

what did Orton's 300 YPG gain the Bills this season? If passing was such an advantage why were there so many 3 & outs? Why was the Red Zone Offense horrible? Why was the 2014 overall Offense 3 or 4 places worse than it was in 2013?

As to your 1999 reference -

Most passing yards

Steve Beuerlein* 4436

Kurt Warner* 4353

>>> I said the QB with the most passing yards. Nowhere did I mention the #1 offense. You did happen to notice the rushing yards of 2059. 36 yards shy of the leading team.

I know the stats. I play that SB win card all the time as it is a true statement. (by the slimmest of margins)

Um ... look at the column entitled passing yards and click on the top button so it sorts from top to bottom. You'll find the SB-winning Rams at the top. The Rams had 4353 passing yards and the Panthers had 4161 (yes, sack yardage should and does count in calculating passing yardage).

Who cares about the person throwing the ball? It's about team passing yards. I will always, always, always argue that you need to focus on team stats over individual stats because football is the ultimate team game, so if you're not willing to agree on that we shouldn't engage. We'll just be talking past each other.

Anyways, it's not a compelling argument. The Niners finished second in passing yards in 1994 by a whisker - NE had 4444 passing yards and SF had 4420. They were basically the exact same (NE threw for .06 percent more yards than SF, and SF would have led the league had they not benched their starters in a meaningless final game that they lost). Yet that SF team was one of the greatest teams in NFL history and they absolutely destroyed their opponent in the SB. It may be the case that only one NFL team finished #1 in passing yards (St. Louis), but lots of other SB winners finished near the top over the years. Whether they were #3 or #1 is essentially immaterial in the statistical sense. SF finished #2 in 1989, #4 in 1984, and #10 in 1988 (a year they went 10-6). They won the Super Bowl all of those years. It's better to be a good passing than a poor one. Both the 2010 and 2011 SB champs finished #5 in passing yards, and the 2009 champ finished #4. The winners are generally near the top.

Edited by dave mcbride

They will find a suitable backup (Locker) cut EJ and Teul and draft a 3rd stringer project.

McCwn and Locker battle it out in TC, with McCown eventually taking the starting spot.

Imo

how do the already know mccown is going to take the starting spot?

It was a disservice having Hackett be both QB coach and OC the first year. It was a disservice to have a HC who was basically a glorified OL assistant in many ways. I keep going back to Jimbo Fisher saying EJ wouldn't be a good pro QB. It might have been a slip of the tongue -- but he had him for 5 frickin' years.....

Well Fisher also said he never made those comments so it's a he said, she said kind of deal. Whether it was true or not isn't my place to decide but expecting Locker, McCown and a 3rd stringer from the draft to be the 3 QB's on the roster doesn't give me much hope for next year.

Haven't felt this negative about the organization in years. Really effing sad. I absolutely hate the "plan" at qb.

I would love to hear a better idea at QB that will make us feel better. Anyone have one? There's basically ZERO QBs of quality in FA. There's nobody to trade for, and there's only two in the draft, and even they are destined to be backups.

Edited by todd

So this is worse than when they won 22 games in 4 years?

expectations change

I would love to hear a better idea at QB that will make us feel better. Anyone have one? There's basically ZERO QBs of quality in FA. There's nobody to trade for, and there's only two in the draft, and even they are destined to be backups.

exactly so why cut EJ?

Imo

This is difficult to comprehend (not that I don't believe you) because it seems the folks who didn't like him as much have left the building and Whaley was always talking him up. Although EJ could be close enough to the 16 game rule for a decision to be made I guess.

I'd argue locker has shown more than EJ and they both had problems staying healthy. Plus keep in mind that trying again in the draft is part of the plan.

he has shown more because he has played for two more years. EJ didn't get hurt every year. He got hurt one year. They don't both have problems "staying healthy"

Plus they are assuming locker will simply be a backup? Mccown is 35? Wtf? He has the same amount of wins the last 2 years as EJ.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Imo

I don't get why some like Locker

he has shown more because he has played for two more years. EJ didn't get hurt every year. He got hurt one year. They don't both have problems "staying healthy"

Plus they are assuming locker will simply be a backup? Mccown is 35? Wtf? He has the same amount of wins the last 2 years as EJ.

Leroi said training camp battle would happen. I'm not especially excited about the QBs but don't exactly see this as a travesty.

Haven't felt this negative about the organization in years. Really effing sad. I absolutely hate the "plan" at qb.

Hyperbolic statement of the decade (intended). But really? They are eyeing a mediocre retread QB when there are no better options out there. What do you want them to do instead? For all we know Manuel does win the job, excels, McCown is his more than serviceable backup and everyone lives happily ever after in Bills land.