Bills to go in little-talked-about direction at QB?

Rubes

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure a lot of Bills fans don't want him, but I would guess that RGIII is being referred to as the QB option not being talked about much.

I actually think we could make a move for Cousins. I know he wasn't great last year, but I like the way he plays and just have a totally uninformed hunch the Bills do too. Trade for Cousins and then either sign a FA (I'd go for Hoyer or Locker, personally) or draft a QB in the middle rounds.

that was an older post from Feb 16 when we were looking at McCown. just stating that McCown isn't even as good as EJ let alone Orton who like you said isn't even that great. glad we didn't get him

I've been avoiding some threads. better late than never (sometimes)

From down here in Titan's country, I hope they sign Jake Locker. Kid is hurt a lot, but he improved year-over-year in terms of accuracy and reading defenses. He should come cheap given the injury history. It is slim pickings for QBs - we won't find anyone who doesn't have some flaws - so why not sign a couple of reasonably priced guys then let them fight it out in training camp?

as a veteran backup

Do you think that is what Cassel was told by the Bills prior to signing?

And as a followup, if he outperforms Manuel in camp and preseason, is Manuel still the starter opening day?

Edited by CodeMonkey

Do you think that is what Cassel was told by the Bills prior to signing?

didn't tell him anything, traded for him and grabbed him basically. everyone has a chance to compete but Cassel is a backup by nature

I actually think we could make a move for Cousins.

This could be a reason to sign Cassel. To drive down the price for a real-ish QB. To be able to say "we dont need [Cousins], we're just feeling out whether you'd take less than yesterday to move him."

Then bring Cousins and Cassel to camp, never intending to keep Cassel as of opening day, so his contract wouldnt be practically guaranteed. Then re-sign Cassel in week 2 to backup at a much lower cost, because he knows the system and its too late to catch on anywhere else.

In Whaley I trust.

Edit: In Whaley I trust.

Edit: In Whaley I trust.

Edited by maddenboy

If Leroi is right... they could cut EJ and sign Locker. Cassell as backup. Just sayin. Still think it makes no sense, especially financially, but for some reason these recent bold moves makes me think anything could happen.

I wouldn't mind that. If Chad Pennington is right and it takes a QB 3 years to develop in the NFL Locker should be all set to go. :rolleyes:

• 5 weeks later...

THAT would be interesting

The NFL looks to be heading into a dark ages period at the QB position. You look at the top QBs, except for Luck and Rodgers (maybe Wilson), and they all have a LOT of miles on them. Even the younger ones like Rothlesberger and Rivers look worn out and that they probably won't still be in the league three years from now.

Patriots, Steelers, Giants, Saints, Broncos, Cowboys...what are all of these teams going to do? Down the road I'm seeing Luck, Rodgers and possibly Wilson but then not much else to get crazy about. Maybe if EJ Manuel gets to even a top 15-20 QB level his stock will rise through attrition when all these guys eventually leave.

The NFL looks to be heading into a dark ages period at the QB position. You look at the top QBs, except for Luck and Rodgers (maybe Wilson), and they all have a LOT of miles on them. Even the younger ones like Rothlesberger and Rivers look worn out and that they probably won't still be in the league three years from now.

Patriots, Steelers, Giants, Saints, Broncos, Cowboys...what are all of these teams going to do? Down the road I'm seeing Luck, Rodgers and possibly Wilson but then not much else to get crazy about. Maybe if EJ Manuel gets to even a top 15-20 QB level his stock will rise through attrition when all these guys eventually leave.

This is a really good point. However, even though those guys are going to be on the latter part of their primes, the rules are setup so that they last far longer than they have in the past. Expect to see Roethlisberger, Rivers, Manning, and even Brady for another 3-5 years.

Yeah, it could get worse before it gets better. But I thinking there will be enough replacements over the next few years to hold steady.. Personal picks would be Jameis, Teddy, maybe Tanny and one or two more currently in the league, and then the following couple drafts have some interesting guys like Cook and Cardale

Maybe. But coming into thhe NFL, not many expected what we actually got from Big Ben, Brady, Flacco, Brees, Romo, Wilson or even Rodgers.

There will always be great QBs in the league.

I'll admit that I didn't read all 38 pages of this thread (that's a LOT of pages), but could the person originally making the statement that "we're going to go in a little talked about direction" mean QB by committee? Sure you let the three of them compete to see who starts on opening day. If a guy has a hot hand, you stick with him. If he flakes out and makes dumb moves, you bench him for one of the other guys. Rinse and repeat. Before anyone wants to jump all over me, I'm not in favor of this approach. I'm simply speculating on the commentary at hand.

Maybe. But coming into thhe NFL, not many expected what we actually got from Big Ben, Brady, Flacco, Brees, Romo, Wilson or even Rodgers.

There will always be great QBs in the league.

The thing about those guys is that, except for Brees, they all showed they kind of had "it" when they started to play. Maybe not with big stats, but Rothlesberger, Brady, Flacco, Romo, Wilson and Rodgers all won games and had a some what commanding presence about them. I'm just not seeing it with the under 30 QB club. After Luck and maybe Wilson, I see a whole bunch of guys that will not live up to what we've come to know as the highest level of the NFL top 10 QBs.

I just went to pro football reference and saw that 8 of the top 10 QBs in TD passes were over 30 and their average age is 34. That's crazy to me. One of the guys in their 20s was Luck and the other guy was Matt Ryan who is 29. Yes things could change and these young guys could prove to be great, but I'm not seeing it. Like I said, those guys you mentioned showed right away they could play winning football consistently.

Edited by 1billsfan

Stop - he got a few sniffs form the NFL years ago. He wasn't good enough then, now he is old too

lol....i'm just throwing stuff out there that fits this statement:

"we will be going a route that not many have talked about"

From down here in Titan's country, I hope they sign Jake Locker. Kid is hurt a lot, but he improved year-over-year in terms of accuracy and reading defenses. He should come cheap given the injury history. It is slim pickings for QBs - we won't find anyone who doesn't have some flaws - so why not sign a couple of reasonably priced guys then let them fight it out in training camp?

Jake retired last month, so unless he pulls a Favre he's not an option.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000477807/article/jake-locker-announces-retirement-from-nfl

• 4 months later...

Tyrod Taylor has been off the radar (except by me) and has not been beaten to death.

Summary:

- 4-Year backup in a good system to a Franchise QB - Joe Flacco, Ravens

- Not many NFL snaps largely because Flacco never gets hurt.

- Has a Super Bowl ring - not many of the other QB's discussed aside from Eli can say that..

- All time QB at VT

- Held clipboard, shut-up, and learned, without cycles on his body

- Nearly undefeated in Pre-season, FWIW

- Badly wants to start in the NFL - would sign for MUCH less than a "real" Vet

- 4.5 40 with great arm. Physically faster and more elusive than Russell Wilson - ran a faster 40 at the same combine than Kaepernick

- Would fit very well in a Rex/Ryan/Roman power-run first, throw second scheme - a la Niners with Kaepernick - because he himself is a legit running threat.

There's other QB's that fall into the category of not getting a shot yet because of playing behind a Top 5 QB - this one seems under the radar enough to mention in this thread again...

Just wanted to give Moshermw some props. I, along with most Bills fans, had never heard of Tyrod before this post back in February Since then I've felt ahead of the curve on TT.

Great intel and one of the reasons this board rocks..

Edited by ChevyVanMiller