New England Patriots caught deflating game balls

FireChan

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter King @SI_PeterKing 1m1 minute ago

RT @Brendinater: isn't this whole story overblown? … Everything in football coverage is. But this is serious. Rules are rules.

0 replies 1 retweet 2 favorites
Peter King @SI_PeterKing 2m2 minutes ago

RT @Paul_Soper: Ho we know the refs didn't mess up? … Possible. Unlikely. Part of their everyday job.

Whatever punishment the NFL hands down, i dont think it will be severe enough for the cheating the Deflatriots have done in the last 10+ years.

Whatever penalty they recieve, Brady and Belichicks legacy is greatly diminished. Hope theyre proud of themselves, because no one else is.

As a matter of fact, im gonna go ahead and coin Superbowl XLIX as the deflator bowl.

Edited by mastershake

For those that have poo-pooed and ignored my posts about temperature and air pressure.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/2015/01/21/how-the-patriots-could-have-cheated-without-letting-air-out-the-ball/Eocm5m29nIlh0HRBjFWsYO/story.html

This will be the answer in the final analysis.

Cheating is cheating, no matter how you did it. The Colts balls were 100% fine.

Lol what a terrible excuse. The weather?! 11 out of 12 of the Patriots balls were affected by weather and 12 out of 12 of the Colts balls weren't? Yeah ok.

I'm sure the under-inflated balls the Colts complained about when they played the Pats earlier in the season and the ones in the Ravens/Pats game were caused by the weather too. Get out of here with that apologist crap.

And the source you use is Boston.com lmao. No way they're biased.

John Madden: Blame Tom Brady for deflated footballs

“That would have to be driven by the quarterback,” Madden told The Sports Xchange on Wednesday. “That’s something that wouldn’t be driven by a coach or just the equipment guy. Nobody, not even the head coach, would do anything to a football unilaterally, such as adjust the amount of pressure in a ball, without the quarterback not knowing. It would have to be the quarterback’s idea.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/21/john-madden-blame-tom-brady-for-deflated-footballs/

John Madden: Blame Tom Brady for deflated footballs

“That would have to be driven by the quarterback,” Madden told The Sports Xchange on Wednesday. “That’s something that wouldn’t be driven by a coach or just the equipment guy. Nobody, not even the head coach, would do anything to a football unilaterally, such as adjust the amount of pressure in a ball, without the quarterback not knowing. It would have to be the quarterback’s idea.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/21/john-madden-blame-tom-brady-for-deflated-footballs/

This was mentioned way up thread. Any suggestion that "the ball boy did it" is absurd.

Of course Tom Brady would be in on this; the doctored balls were there 90% for his sole benefit on every pass. If the balls were 2 PSI under pressure, it was because Tom wanted them to be 2 PSI under pressure and no one else.

But don't be so foolish (not you Papazoid!) as to assume that Emperor Palpatine wasn't in on this as well.

You can assume everything that team does is sanctioned by the Emperor. His hand is in everything, and he is as guilty of the crimes charged against him as the day is long.

For those that have poo-pooed and ignored my posts about temperature and air pressure.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/2015/01/21/how-the-patriots-could-have-cheated-without-letting-air-out-the-ball/Eocm5m29nIlh0HRBjFWsYO/story.html

Well, I am a physicist, so let's do the math:

The relation between pressure and gas are constant, so it's an easy calculation. P/T = C. But it doesn't matter what C is, since we're comparing two different ratios to each other, i.e. (P/T)pregame = (P/T)outdoors.

Going by recollection, game-time temperatures were about 4 degrees Celsius. Indoor were probably on the order of 72 degrees F - let's take the high end and call it 24C. Convert to Kelvins, that's about 277K and 299K, respectively.

So inflate the balls to 12.5psi pregame, and (12.5/297) = (P/277). Pressure at game-time temps is 277*12.5/297 = 11.6psi.

Claims seem to be that the balls were measured at 10.5psi. Even assuming the pressure gauge is inaccurate, if it's inaccurate to the point of being a pound off, then the league can't accurately measure the inflation of the balls to begin with (given that the acceptable range of inflation would be equal to the error of the gauge.) If that particular gauge was measuring low by a pound, then the league screwed up in using a defective gauge. If, however, the gauges were accurate, somebody deflated the balls during the game by about one psi.

I'm inclined to believe the latter, for two reasons: 1) Reports are that all the balls were deflated to the same pressure, which in itself implies accuracy in measurement, and 2) I hate The Brady and The Hoodie. But no matter the cause, this represents a serious lack of quality control by the league, which is particularly alarming given that it's a league that goes to excessively nitpicky lengths to define on-field rules (like what is and is not a complete pass) in the name of quality.

And

To revisit the "temperature-pressure" topic...for a ball to drop from 12.5 psi to 10.5 psi, that equates to a drop in temperature from an indoor 75 degrees F to an outdoor -12.

Edited by DC Tom

Hahahah. Sure thing. When in doubt, try and invoke the "science" defense!

Hey there are worse cheaters than the Pats*. Maybe Belicheck should take notes.

Judging by some posters on the forum this is no big deal because hey the officials didn't check. Or hey what's a few points of IQ?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2458715/Spanish-basketball-team-pretended-disabled-win-Paralympic-gold.html

This is a good one by a Boston writer abusing them, saying they already lost and sacrificed their legacy. Hard to argue with it.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/01/22/win-lose-patriots-have-sacrificed-their-legacy/XIYx6wws1NpEn1h82kMtwO/story.html

That's Boston's Jerry Sullivan on steroids. Always negative, always bashing the team.

This is a good one by a Boston writer abusing them, saying they already lost and sacrificed their legacy. Hard to argue with it.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/01/22/win-lose-patriots-have-sacrificed-their-legacy/XIYx6wws1NpEn1h82kMtwO/story.html

I like this gem:

"Belichick has already said he did not know anything about the deflated balls until he was told about them Monday. Could this possibly be true?"

Bull. Someone who's based his entire coaching reputation on awareness of every single little detail, no matter how minute, didn't know that the officials were measuring the footballs on his own sideline and was kept ignorant of what they found?

Marrone's "I didn't know Hughes was benched" is more believable than that.

Madden brings up a great point, that the balls are most likely tied to Brady. Regardless, Billy is the one who created this atmosphere of skirting the rule book. You do have to figure that Kraft as proud as he is; has to be steaming about this. It tarnishes his franchise; you have to wonder if he pulls the plug on Billy at some point...

Roger is in a tough position with the players; he is hard on them for all sorts of issues, if he doesn't come down hard on this repeat offender - the NFL is going to take one helluva beating from the next time they place some on on the exempt list...

This guy is Boston's Jerry Sullivan, and about as well liked. That said, he hits the nail in the head. Edited by PromoTheRobot

That's Boston's Jerry Sullivan on steroids. Always negative, always bashing the team.

Right, but Sully nails it fairly often, too.

I like this gem:

"Belichick has already said he did not know anything about the deflated balls until he was told about them Monday. Could this possibly be true?"

Bull. Someone who's based his entire coaching reputation on awareness of every single little detail, no matter how minute, didn't know that the officials were measuring the footballs on his own sideline and was kept ignorant of what they found?

Marrone's "I didn't know Hughes was benched" is more believable than that.

I took that as the writer all but implying it's hard to believe it be true.