New England Patriots caught deflating game balls

FireChan

Wait, so when Rodgers gets caught pre game and the refs deflate it before the game starts, thats ok? Come on dude...seriously?

amazing that you can't recognize the significant difference between BEFORE and AFTER inspection point.

sometimes I find myself at an airport with a bottle of liquor that i don't want to check. I'll put it in my carry-on and hope that TSA doesn't see it. But most of the time, they do catch it. That's find, I'll end up checking or tossing. But the one thing I can't do is throw the liquor across the TSA station to my buddy in order to sneak it in. That would get us arrested.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

amazing that you can't recognize the significant difference between BEFORE and AFTER inspection point.

sometimes I find myself at an airport with a bottle of liquor that i don't want to check. I'll put it in my carry-on and hope that TSA doesn't see it. But most of the time, they do catch it. That's find, I'll end up checking or tossing. But the one thing I can't do is throw the liquor across the TSA station to my buddy in order to sneak it in. That would get us arrested.

So if the refs don't deflate the ball, then its ok that Rodgers is playing with a ball that is above the allowed limits? What happens then when he throws a pick and a player complains the ball is too hard and they find out its over inflated? Is that the only time it becomes cheating, when he gets caught?

And if thats the case, then why aren't the refs to blame in the Pats case because they allowed them to play with the same balls after halftime?

Edited by Alphadawg7

The worst part about this story is that this board is never ever going to let it go and the Shout Box will forever be ruined and unusable during Pats vs Bills games. They will be filled with countless conspiracy theories of every close play, every penalty, every call that doesn't go our way (even if the video evidence proves it shouldn't). RIP Shout Box on Pats/Bills game day

well, someone surly isn't letting go. you are approaching epic crusade status and it's probably time for you to step away from the keyboard. If you want to continue this via PM please feel free to do so. If you are asked to stop PMing someone please do so. Thanks.

And what happens if the refs don't deflate them? He gets to play with them.

Do you think he would really continuously do this if it never worked? Are you that gullible?

Again, if that happens I lay more blame on the refs in that scenario for not being able to read a pressure gauge. Do you think he ever gets 11 of 12 over inflated balls past inspection or are you that gullible?

So if the refs don't deflate the ball, then its ok that Rodgers is playing with a ball that is above the allowed limits?

Well he doesn't get his angel wings (and neither would I for sneaking in liquor in my carry-on) but it's orders of magnitude less shady than presenting regulation balls for inspection and then sneakily deflating before kickoff.

Again, there's no evidence to support what you're saying. I don't know why you feel the need to cover for the Patriots by putting all of the NFL under the same suspicion.

Call me naive all you want, I just don't think other teams under inflate balls like this. Maybe you're the naive one thinking Belichick isn't the only NFL head coach cheating like this.

Who says I'm covering? They cheat. They got caught cheating.

The NFL won't care in any significant manner.

Who says I'm covering? They cheat. They got caught cheating.

The NFL won't care in any significant manner.

I think you are wrong about that, this time. Just my opinion, but I think this one is going to be different.

See the stuff commenting on how the Patriots were doing this in November. If a big personality/ego at the NFL told NE "cut that crap out" and now it has come out that the Patriots blew off said big personality/ego at NFL....the NFL will come down hard.

Not as hard as I would like but way more than what I think you think is going to happen (and lots of others too).

This isn't going to be resolved with a $25,000 fine.

well, someone surly isn't letting go. you are approaching epic crusade status and it's probably time for you to step away from the keyboard. If you want to continue this via PM please feel free to do so. If you are asked to stop PMing someone please do so. Thanks.

Epic crusade? I don't get that Beerball...there is 54 pages of arguing by everyone, and I post a few times on the last 2 pages and I am labeled of being on an epic crusade? If you didn't like that one post, then fine, sorry, just voicing my opinion about how it gets out of hand in game of all the ref accusations that flood in around here and conspiracy theories with the Pats. This story is only going to fuel those speculations, and thats the worst part about this story as that it will linger long beyond this because its the Pats and they have a history.

But as far as continuing discussion with anyone using PM on this story...not to worry, I don't care enough about this story to talk more about it. I said my piece about it being over blown and that if they are going to enforce it (even though the refs let them continue with the balls) then they need to enforce on everyone who admitted tampering with balls. No further discussion needed.

John Madden makes compelling case that Tom Brady should be the prime suspect in #DeflateGate http://wp.me/p14QSB-9GWg

Madden’s compelling, commonsensical take will make the potential conclusion that a ball boy went rogue ring hollow. The ball boy would be going rogue not only against the rules but also against the wishes of the quarterback. So if anyone connected to the Patriots was taking air out of the footballs, Madden’s explanation makes it clear that the quarterback either knew about it and did nothing to stop it — or deliberately requested it.

Epic crusade? I don't get that Beerball...there is 54 pages of arguing by everyone, and I post a few times on the last 2 pages and I am labeled of being on an epic crusade? If you didn't like that one post, then fine, sorry, just voicing my opinion about how it gets out of hand in game of all the ref accusations that flood in around here and conspiracy theories with the Pats. This story is only going to fuel those speculations, and thats the worst part about this story as that it will linger long beyond this because its the Pats and they have a history.

But as far as continuing discussion with anyone using PM on this story...not to worry, I don't care enough about this story to talk more about it. I said my piece about it being over blown and that if they are going to enforce it (even though the refs let them continue with the balls) then they need to enforce on everyone who admitted tampering with balls. No further discussion needed.

you have over 50 posts in this thread, more than 1 per page. That's epic.

Regarding the article and quote in posts 1077 and 1078 above...

Anyone who thinks Brady, Bill B. and lots of others within the Patriots organization don't know about the ball deflation and order it are just crazy.

Without question Brady is suspect #1, but anyone saying Belicheat didn't know is crazy.

"The ball boy did it" is not even close to being a valid defense.

The Patriots better not even try that one...

Edited by Stopthepain

Madden’s compelling, commonsensical take will make the potential conclusion that a ball boy went rogue ring hollow. The ball boy would be going rogue not only against the rules but also against the wishes of the quarterback. So if anyone connected to the Patriots was taking air out of the footballs, Madden’s explanation makes it clear that the quarterback either knew about it and did nothing to stop it — or deliberately requested it.[/size]

Seems right that is would be a Brady generated thing, but he's not going to pay any price for it. Is cases like this crap flows uphill and it will stop at Belichick. If the penalty is big enough (if the league actually does anything) then Belichick, rightly or wrongly better be looking over his shoulder for Kraft and a pink slip.

I personally think the rule is stupid. But it is a rule. Should have each team bring game balls and make the other tem use them. Or do it like baseball and have the league supply the game balls.

The league is going to now have to create a bunch of cumbersome rules on lineman and eligible receivers and now gameballs. There is going to be a weighing of the balls ceremony at the coin toss. Then balls wills be guarded by 3 armed security guards. Balls will be inspected and weighed every scoring play. We have the technology. Children are our future

Not a chance the Patriots take action against Belichick or Brady, they are prime money makers. And I doubt the league will do anything worse than take a couple draft picks, if they even go that far. If they suspended either, that'd hurt ratings, advertising, sales of merchandise, etc. There is no profit for the NFL to make a serious move here. The Superbowl will come and go, and people will forget about it when the Seahawks win.

The league is going to now have to create a bunch of cumbersome rules on lineman and eligible receivers and now gameballs. There is going to be a weighing of the balls ceremony at the coin toss. Then balls wills be guarded by 3 armed security guards. Balls will be inspected and weighed every scoring play. We have the technology. Children are our future

Hey, if someone over at the NFL is thinking of these things (like having to take league control over all game balls in all games) and thinking "those a-holes in Foxborough did this!" then great!

Might make the penalty bigger.