New England Patriots caught deflating game balls

FireChan

Exactly. I don't understand why anyone is weighing balls or even discussing ball weight, as that's a negligible variable here. It's all about grippability of the ball in cold conditions, and about reducing the chances of your players fumbling - which are huge game-altering variables BTW.

And to Barbarian's second statement, it's not about what Brady did on Sunday vs. what he did on previous Sundays, it's about one team's actions to alter game balls outside of acceptable parameters while the other team stayed within the rules, and how those actions gave the patriots an unfair and illegal competitive advantage in that game.

Assuming the facts as they've been reported are true, all that's left to decide is who can be shown to have orchestrated this, and what the NFL will do about it.

Great post. Aside from a few posters saying "this will be brushed under the rug" or those saying it should be (!), no one is talking about this.

I think the guilt has been established or will be established, and I think the NFL is going to come down a lot harder than most people think.

So then the conversation turns to how the NFL wants to handle this. There are no real rules here and they can do whatever they want. It's going to come down to politics.

I feel that Bill B. has to take the fall as captain of the ship...but does the NFL think so?

Will it go up to Kraft as well? And down to Brady? Who else?

The longer they drag their feet on the "investigation" the worse this is going to get leading up to the Superbowl with all the media attention.

What are they actually going to do, and when?

Perhaps they will deliberately stall to get the Superbowl behind them, so they can then levy sanctions that would be deemed too severe pre-Superbowl, but acceptable post-Superbowl. Like a season ban for Bilicheat.

Let him get his Superbowl in...then nail him to the cross. Who knows what they are thinking or will do.

Edited by Stopthepain

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure I follow. The balls were presumably deflated so that they were softer, could be gripped better. What does that have to do with a dollar bill?

Since the pressure is reported in pounds per square inch, some Norman Einsteins obviously equate that to the Pats* manipulating the weight, because, you know the balls were 2 pounds per square inch below regulations.

1) The Ravens clued in the Colts to check for underinflated balls: that would seem to indicate the Pats have been doing this for the last few games,... maybe the last 10 games,... maybe the last few seasons!!!

2) As others have said, the deflation of the ball (11 of 12 in the football bag) was not a matter of weight, but a matter of gripping the ball and Brady's preference for throwing a deflated ball (see the 2011 article posted yesterday). That is an advantage over other teams who inflate to the proper weight; and

3) Madden is right...no one touches the footballs without the QB's consent (or, more accurately, without his direction).

Dirty, dirty, dirty

Great post. Aside from a few posters saying "this will be brushed under the rug" or those saying it should be (!), no one is talking about this.

I think the guilt has been established or will be established, and I think the NFL is going to come down a lot harder than most people think.

Even if guilt is established... how does making a bigger deal out of this and doling out a huge penalties, as well as exposing guilt serve the NFL? Especially since the #1 priority is obviously "protecting the shield"?.

All they need to do and will do is create murkiness and doubt into whether the Patriots blatantly cheated. Then the voices of "much ado about nothing" will get louder and the "prove it" and the "so what they won, just beat them losers" crowd... eventually drowning out questions and people will move on. They always do. Looking back on it, "Spygate" seems like a pretty huge deal and they evaded that the best they could.

Even if guilt is established... how does making a bigger deal out of this and doling out a huge penalties, as well as exposing guilt serve the NFL? Especially since the #1 priority is obviously "protecting the shield"?.

I am flip flopping on this by the minute LOL. Yesterday morning, was convinced they would come hard.

Afternoon I thought they would blame the refs not measuring correctly etc

Now I am back to "in order to Protect the shield" they are going to have to come down hard on the organization. I do agree the damage has already been done to the Pats and their fans, sucks to be them I love Simmons, be great to get his view as a life long Pat fan. His column about the first Super Bowl they won is just awesome, wonder how this will change it for him, and all Pats fans.

Yesterday morning I felt sorry this might tarnish Brady's legacy, but through the day I became convinced Brady was the one who most likely orchestrated this. What would he do to remain on top, as his public statements have been staying on top of the NFL is pretty much all that matters to him. If he is found to be the "mastermind" , I say his whole career has to examined.

Edited by plenzmd1

sorry but I'm too lazy to read the 20 pages since I left off yesterday

Did Ravens tip off the Colts?

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/did-ravens-tip-off-colts-about-patriots-deflating-balls--021046443.html

Go up two posts, #1...I think that has already been established. Quite possible they have been doing this since November...maybe since last season? Last few seasons? Since Brady became starting QB? Who knows.

If the reports are true both the NFL and Boob Kraft are pissed.

http://profootballta...partner=ya5nbcs

Robert Kraft has called Bill Belichick a “schmuck” for past sins

It’s implausible that Belichick himself did anything to 11 of the 12 balls, just as it’s implausible anything happens in that building without him knowing it.

And whether the inflation of the ball had a tangible effect on the outcome of the game or not, the image of impropriety might be as important to the league. And given Kraft’s loyalty to commissioner Roger Goodell, it’s worth monitoring the stance he takes on this situation as well.

All they need to do and will do is create murkiness and doubt into whether the Patriots blatantly cheated. Then the voices of "much ado about nothing" will get louder and the "prove it" and the "so what they won, just beat them losers" crowd... eventually drowning out questions and people will move on. They always do. Looking back on it, "Spygate" seems like a pretty huge deal and they evaded that the best they could.

It re-establishes at least the appearance of credibility and integrity in the game.

That is "protecting the shield" to use your term.

Leaving a murky cloud of cheating over the NFL doesn't serve the NFL's interest.

If Goodell’s plan is to “create murkiness” and think that this will all go away during Superbowl week then he is dumber than I thought he was. Only a fool would have reasonable doubt of Pats guilt regarding 11 of 12 balls being equally deflated a couple of PSIs. Superbowl week blows up into 24/7 “Deflategate” if the NFL goes the “much to do about nothing” route. There’s a picture of Goodell and Kraft at a party in Kraft’s house the night before the AFC Championship…LOL
If “protecting the shield” means thinking you can avoid this scandal by creating murkiness for a buddy after a second hugely embarrassing cheating scandal damaging the credibility of the NFL, then you don’t know Superbowl week..
Edited by 1billsfan

Go up two posts, #1...I think that has already been established. Quite possible they have been doing this since November...maybe since last season? Last few seasons? Since Brady became starting QB? Who knows.

when I went to look for it and posted .... you beat me to it. missed by that much

Goodell wants to be quick and decisive when players break the NFL code of conduct,

TICK TOCK Roger times a wasting

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Spygate broke before the Superbowl and that looked 100x worse than this.... during a possible undefeated run. They made people forget about that. No matter what, people buy and watch and sponsors sponsor.

Dont get me wrong, I want this crap to end, but if people are hoping for some vindication and implication of the Patriots... and for the disgraced end of Belichick and Brady.... we aren't getting that. I dont even think we see a suspension of any sort. Draft picks will be secure. Fine only IMO

One item to be clear on. It has been reported that all 12 balls were deflated, not just 11. One of the 12 was not below 2 lbs less air pressure as the other ones were, but it was also deflated from full pressure nonetheless

One item to be clear on. It has been reported that all 12 balls were deflated, not just 11. One of the 12 was not below 2 lbs less air pressure as the other ones were, but it was also deflated from full pressure nonetheless

Well that changes everything.

Spygate broke before the Superbowl and that looked 100x worse than this.... during a possible undefeated run. They made people forget about that. No matter what, people buy and watch and sponsors sponsor.

Dont get me wrong, I want this crap to end, but if people are hoping for some vindication and implication of the Patriots... and for the disgraced end of Belichick and Brady.... we aren't getting that. I dont even think we see a suspension of any sort. Draft picks will be secure. Fine only IMO

I don't think anyone is anticipating a disgraced end to Belichick and Brady. I do, however, think penalties will be much more severe than a mere monetary fine.

As I noted way up-post, when you are dealing with monied people at this level, a fine is not a penalty at all.

In my mind, a fine-only sentence is akin to finding the Patriots innocent.

May Day, i am flipping again.

This quote from PFT quoting ART Rooney II interview on the Steelers site i guess

"Rooney said that he doesn’t think the deflated ball controversy is “on the scale of serious,”

Now that dude and Goodell are as close as Kraft and Goddell...cant believe that statement is being made without careful consideration.

full article

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/22/art-rooney-ii-games-should-be-played-with-one-set-of-balls/

A fine only? Well if that's the case then Roger Goodell should get ready for the Sean Payton, Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson supporters to provide the counterattacks and accusations of favoritism and racism that will get 24/7 coverage during Superbowl week. Bring your popcorn.

On top of that, the credibility of the NFL going forward will take a huge hit with fans of the other 31 teams.

Tom Brady: “I think I’ve heard it all at this point. That’s the last of my worries. I don’t even respond to stuff like this.”

Did I miss the denial somewhere? After his overdrawn cackle during the Monday morning WEEI interview, the man did not deny the allegation.