New England Patriots caught deflating game balls

FireChan

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kinda believe him...think this is going to be on Brady

At one point, he did give Brady a gentle shove under the bus...

Really...a guy who knows the rule book well enough to create an "ineligible receiver" formation doesn't know the process for inflating and managing footballs during the game????

"I don't have an explanation for what happened...you have to talk to the league for information about the investigation."

Belichick is preparing the "I DIDN'T KNOW" defense and the "THIS HAPPENED AT A LEVEL BELOW ME" defense.

That's good! I think NE is worried that they are going to get a severe penalty.

They are clearly scared and the legal department has clearly spent a lot of time prepping Belichick for this PC...

Like a lot of time.

It still amazes me that Brady gets, relatively, such a free pass when it comes to the likely systemic cheating he has been in the center of his whole career.

People who say this was minor and they would have won anyway because they were so much better couldn't be missing the point more. Perhaps they were better to begin with because of multiple other cheating we don't know about. Does anyone really believe this and Spygate are the only times they've broken the rules? If you see a drunk is he definitely not an alcoholic because you've only seen him actually drinking twice?

Take the home field advantage. The statistically implausible/impossible home record, and the fact they've lost their last 7 road games in the playoffs. With what we do know about the organizations willingness to cheat, how can you not think it is likely there is truth behind the accounts of them playing with radio frequencies to give info to Brady after the cutoff point, listen in to the other teams frequency and locker room etc etc

I am more and more convinced Brady is a creation of a system of cheating. There is a reason he was a sixth round pick. But put a QB in a situation in games where they know what the defense before the snap, are coached in their helmet right up to the snap and even after, is there any way they cannot fail? Is there any better way to learn and master the position than exactly this scenario? How many tens of otherwise mediocre QBs would become 'great' if put in this system?

People talk about banning Bellicheat, but why isn't Brady ever in that conversation? He is absolutely in the middle of it. Why is he in the conversation of greatest of all time, he should be in the conversation for most pathetic cheater of all time. I've said before, to me Brady is the Bonds of the NFL.

You bring up great points; none of which I can argue with (except your last point) and that is their own doing; it isn't just us. That is the Pats* legacy - Kraft's & Bellicheat's and all of the players on that team.

The "Brady is the Bonds of the NFL" I struggle with; IIRC Bonds was more or less a HOFer before he bulked up...

Really...a guy who knows the rule book well enough to create an "ineligible receiver" formation doesn't know the process for inflating and managing footballs during the game????

thats exactly what I thought of. He knows that obscure rule but not this one. Sure.

Thats is a good point Tom...

Madden seemed to think the same thing.

im sure its brady's call on how he prefers the footballs.... but no way in hell Belichick is out of the loop and completely clueless to that. Especially if there is an operation to obtain and alter the footballs after inspection..

im sure its brady's call on how he prefers the footballs.... but no way in hell Belichick is out of the loop and completely clueless to that. Especially if there is an operation to obtain and alter the footballs after inspection..

Exactly.

Look at the detail that goes into preparing footballs for Eli Manning. It's crazy detailed.

Thats is a good point Tom...

Reminds me of an excerpt from Polian's book which I read here at the forum.

He was talking about trouble getting a long snapper to snap the ball properly without "giving the laces" to the holder and explaining how Jim Ringo solved the problem in 3 seconds.

Sure, we all know that a kicker doesn't want to kick the laces and we have seen the holder rotate the ball to get the laces away...but I hadn't really thought of this at the level of detail Polian discussed...and it reminded me that a career football guy has forgotten more about football than I'll ever know.

Including all the weird little things a fan may not know, like how balls are prepped, disbursed, and controlled before a game.

And Belichick is now saying "I never knew anything about that whole process."

That is, quite literally, unbelievable.

It re-establishes at least the appearance of credibility and integrity in the game.

That is "protecting the shield" to use your term.

Leaving a murky cloud of cheating over the NFL doesn't serve the NFL's interest.

im curious the reactions to these questions:

would you feel the same if it were the st louis rams in week 7?

would you be advocating the suspension of rex and ej if they were in the same spot?

Madden seemed to think the same thing.

That's not really what Madden said at all. Madden said it would be almost impossible for Brady not to know about the low PSI balls and no one would play around with them without making sure Brady liked them that way.

The poster is saying he thinks Belichick will avoid any penalty, and it will all fall on Brady (?) or someone else.