New England Patriots caught deflating game balls

FireChan

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy christ I can't believe people are actually equating the Rodgers comments to what the Patriots did.

The only way it would be equivalent is if the Packers had someone inflate their balls past the legal limit on the sidelines after the refs inspected them.

Of course, HOF will say "you can't prove that didn't happen."

What the !@#$ ever. Some of you people just have no clue.

FORFEIT. Credibility is at stake. We've all viewed games this year where the "FIX' word entered our minds. If the NFL sweeps this under the rug like 'Spygate', they are going to have real problems going forward.

Holy christ I can't believe people are actually equating the Rodgers comments to what the Patriots

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

I find it telling that ESPN posted the Rodgers story after being virtually the LAST sports media outlet to report the deflation situation.

ESPN reporters have to wipe their chins after every Patriot game, and/or media event.

Holy christ I can't believe people are actually equating the Rodgers comments to what the Patriots did.

The only way it would be equivalent is if the Packers had someone inflate their balls past the legal limit on the sidelines after the refs inspected them.

Of course, HOF will say "you can't prove that didn't happen."

What the !@#$ ever. Some of you people just have no clue.

Desperate times call for ridiculously desperate measures.

Some people's world won't be right unless they are idolizing BB and TB as larger than life God figures.

What they don't realize is that: it's over. Deflatriots can win the SB….and in the minds of the majority of the masses, it's not a victory. In fact, to most, it would be a disgrace to watch them hoist the Lombardi.

Everyone was willing to let Spygate fade out of their memories and buy into the Patriot mystique one more time….but never again. Not after another scandal.

The NFL and their owners will look like a bunch of hypocritical, lying, greedy pu$$ies that have lost respect for the integrity of their product with every game that BB and TB play in starting with the SB. Even though many regard the NFL as such, they always have a fan base of true believers.

First time in its history that the core fan base is in jeopardy. Justice must be served…and hard. I really believe it's over …BB is way too arrogant to subject himself to the constant erosion of his "legend" by trying to continue

#tainted #frauds

Edited by filthymcnasty08

Is there a thread yet about whether EJ Manuel can throw a deflated ball and look like Tom Brady?

Yes.

Current consensus is that EJ can't do it.

However, the feeling is that with constant tutoring by "Diamond" David Lee, substantial pamphlet study, rigorous classroom work, and six to seven years of constant training camp development, EJ will succeed.

:w00t::thumbsup:

Hey, if someone over at the NFL is thinking of these things (like having to take league control over all game balls in all games) and thinking "those a-holes in Foxborough did this!" then great!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, because of all of those 'injuries' to the Giants "D"during Superbowl XXV (Belichick as Giants DC) (with miraculous recoveries every time) we have the rule of a loss of a timeout when there is an injury inside the two minute warning.

Thank Billy Belichick for violating the 'spirit of the game back in 1991! We have that rule now, thanks to him!

If it was up to me, I'd ban his ass from the NFL FOREVER.

Edited by Ted William's frozen head

It hurts the nfl to come down hard. It hurts these leagues to come down on anything unless it's their only remaining course of action. Spygate is a great example. Steroids in mlb. Full exposure of Spygate would have ruined 3 superbowls as well as one of its best brands. You also have a very visible and influential owner of the team. The more attento on brought to wrongdoing will bring skepticism to the nfl's greatest run of 20 years

Especially if the pats win the superbowl, nothing huge wI'll come down. It would taint their money shot of brady and kraft holding the trophy along with tedy bruschi for some reason.

I understand and respect that predicament.

They will wait it out until people tire of it and it becomes a joke. It'll become fashionable to explain it away like Spygate and call everyone not satisfied jealous haters and whiners. It will die out and a slap on the wrist will suffice with little concrete info released. Guys like Rodgers and Collinsworthless will do their best to push the narrative that "everybody does it" to some degree... "it doesn't make any difference" and "they had little control over the equipment guys"

Wait, so when Rodgers gets caught pre game and the refs deflate it before the game starts, thats ok? Come on dude...seriously?

Inflating it to see if they catch it is NO DIFFERENT then deflating it to see if they catch it. Its 100% exactly the same...its manipulating the ball OUTSIDE the set limits to the preference of your grip. So why is it OK Rodgers does it? Because he didn't get caught? Come on...its the same thing and you know it.

Again, ANY fines or penalties assessed to Pats MUST be assessed to all the QBs teams that have confessed to manipulating the balls as well. What if Rodgers and Packers haddnt choked the game away and were playing in the SB against the Pats...how can you penalize the Pats and not the Packers when the QB of the Packers himself admits to manipulating the air pressure above allowed limits in hopes the refs don't catch it?

No, there's actually a significant difference between inflating it and having it fail an inspection, and having it pass an inspection and then deflating it afterwards.

Not a chance the Patriots take action against Belichick or Brady, they are prime money makers. And I doubt the league will do anything worse than take a couple draft picks, if they even go that far. If they suspended either, that'd hurt ratings, advertising, sales of merchandise, etc. There is no profit for the NFL to make a serious move here. The Superbowl will come and go, and people will forget about it when the Seahawks win.

Really, think about it: what penalty can you levy that wouldn't mess up the league's money machine, that the Patriots aren't willing to pay? Whatever penalty you contemplate, it either 1) mucks up the Superbowl, or 2) is worth the cost to Kraft, Belichick, Brady, et al. to get to the Superbowl.

The league can sanction them heavily next year...but they're still in the Superbowl. And if they win the Superbowl, the league would have a hard time coming down on them next year without tainting the Superbowl.

As it turns out, cheating is a pretty smart strategy.

It hurts the nfl to come down hard. It hurts these leagues to come down on anything unless it's their only remaining course of action. Spygate is a great example. Steroids in mlb. Full exposure of Spygate would have ruined 3 superbowls as well as one of its best brands. You also have a very visible and influential owner of the team. The more attento on brought to wrongdoing will bring skepticism to the nfl's greatest run of 20 years

Especially if the pats win the superbowl, nothing huge wI'll come down. It would taint their money shot of brady and kraft holding the trophy along with tedy bruschi for some reason.

I understand and respect that predicament.

They will wait it out until people tire of it and it becomes a joke. It'll become fashionable to explain it away like Spygate and call everyone not satisfied jealous haters and whiners. It will die out and a slap on the wrist will suffice with little concrete info released. Guys like Rodgers and Collinsworthless will do their best to push the narrative that "everybody does it" to some degree... "it doesn't make any difference" and "they had little control over the equipment guys"

I think it could be quite interesting if NE actually wins the Superbowl....IF....and ONLY IF.....there is some kind of universal fan backlash that refuses to accept the validity of the outcome, assuming cheating was going on, somewhere, in some way.

In contrast, if Seattle wins or wins big, the average fan is likely to say "justice was served" and then forget about it.

In this perverse way, I almost want to see NE win. It will push the issue further...but only if the appropriate fan reaction follows the game. A reaction of disgust and resentment. Push the issue. Make the NFL do something.

No, there's actually a significant difference between inflating it and having it fail an inspection, and having it pass an inspection and then deflating it afterwards.

Really, think about it: what penalty can you levy that wouldn't mess up the league's money machine, that the Patriots aren't willing to pay? Whatever penalty you contemplate, it either 1) mucks up the Superbowl, or 2) is worth the cost to Kraft, Belichick, Brady, et al. to get to the Superbowl.

The league can sanction them heavily next year...but they're still in the Superbowl. And if they win the Superbowl, the league would have a hard time coming down on them next year without tainting the Superbowl.

As it turns out, cheating is a pretty smart strategy.

This is why it is a good idea to have independent organizations/bodies govern things, like the NFL.

When you ask people to govern themselves, they don't govern.

If there was a neutral body in charge here, they may well have levied the appropriate penalty, which is disqualification for the Patriots from the game in question against Indy, once guilt is established.

That in turn would create a crappy Superbowl that Seattle dominates. That would be bad for NFL business. That would make the people running the NFL want to kill the Patriots and tell them to cut out the cheating...and then maybe cheating would leave the game.

That isn't the system we have; its much more gimmicky than that.

Therefore, no one should be surprised when we have gimmicky results.

I think it could be quite interesting if NE actually wins the Superbowl....IF....and ONLY IF.....there is some kind of universal fan backlash that refuses to accept the validity of the outcome, assuming cheating was going on, somewhere, in some way.

In contrast, if Seattle wins or wins big, the average fan is likely to say "justice was served" and then forget about it.

In this perverse way, I almost want to see NE win. It will push the issue further...but only if the appropriate fan reaction follows the game. A reaction of disgust and resentment. Push the issue. Make the NFL do something.

This post really shows the bitterness. You are running around with a hard-on for the Pats.

You are dreaming if you think they would be stripped if they won. They will have beaten the Seahawks without deflated balls, because it will be well scrutinized.

This is why it is a good idea to have independent organizations/bodies govern things, like the NFL.

When you ask people to govern themselves, they don't govern.

If there was a neutral body in charge here, they may well have levied the appropriate penalty, which is disqualification for the Patriots from the game in question against Indy, once guilt is established.

That in turn would create a crappy Superbowl that Seattle dominates. That would be bad for NFL business. That would make the people running the NFL want to kill the Patriots and tell them to cut out the cheating...and then maybe cheating would leave the game.

That isn't the system we have; its much more gimmicky than that.

Therefore, no one should be surprised when we have gimmicky results.

Your are like some religious zealot.

Edited by HoF Watkins

So...Peter King, lover of all Boston...

1. I think it’s fair to assume—though it hasn’t been confirmed by the league—that the Patriots’ footballs that were tested at halftime Sunday had less air, and the Colts’ footballs were all found to be legal.

2. There’s a difference that all these ex-quarterbacks are not taking into account when they say, “Every team doctors the footballs.”

3. If Belichick is found to be culpable, I think Goodell will come down hard on him.

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/01/21/patriots-tom-brady-bill-belichick-deflategate-ball-controversy/

I wish there was a stronger movement in place to organize a boycott of the Superbowl if the NFL chooses not to act commensurately to punish the Patriots.

It would hit the NFL where it hurts it the most - in the pocketbook.

Advertisers would bring heat against the NFL.

NBC would bring heat against the NFL.

Black eye on the Patriots organization and Bellichick in particular would be made bigger. The guy should be suspended from the Superbowl and for the next 2 years from the NFL in its entirety.

I wish there was a stronger movement in place to organize a boycott of the Superbowl if the NFL chooses not to act commensurately to punish the Patriots.

It would hit the NFL where it hurts it the most - in the pocketbook.

Advertisers would bring heat against the NFL.

NBC would bring heat against the NFL.

Black eye on the Patriots organization and Bellichick in particular would be made bigger. The guy should be suspended from the Superbowl and for the next 2 years from the NFL in its entirety.

Nope. Jail time at the very least. Do they have The Death Penalty in Mass.?

The latest twist in deflate-gate might give you a hint that the rest of the NFL isn't too fond of the New England Patriots.

According to Jay Glazer of Fox Sports, the Indianapolis Colts were tipped off by the Baltimore Ravens before the AFC championship game about the Patriots possibly altering the air pressure in their footballs. The Ravens lost to the Patriots in a divisional playoff game the week before.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/did-ravens-tip-off-colts-about-patriots-deflating-balls--021046443.html