New England Patriots caught deflating game balls

FireChan

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I heard on the radio, that the official fine for this transgression is $25,000, anyone else know if this is true?

It tells me that the league cares more about the color of Marshawn Lynch's shoes than they do the integrity of the game.

I was chased out of the other thread, because dissent is not tolerated.

I feel it is a minor transgression, worthy of a 15 yard penalty if caught during the game, with a fine later.

I think it is being fueled by opposing fan's pettiness, and a click baiting media.

Anyone else feel similarly?

No

Wasn't there an article last week where Brady was saying cold weather didn't bother him cause he's a beast? I don't have a link but maybe now we know why?

I didn't see the article but it make sense. You know you will cheat with an under inflated ball in cold weather, the other side won't, so you have a huge advantage.

Makes sense he'd love cold weather under these conditions.

I'm sure the 2nd, undetected radio channel giving him incriminating information at illegal times during play helps as well, in ALL WEATHER.

:wallbash:

Edited by Stopthepain

No. They conspired to cheat. The fact that it didn't effect the outcome of the game is irrelevant. The intent was to cheat to gain an advantage. That can't be tolerated no matter how minor the infraction appears to be.

HOw do you know it was a conspiracy? Tom Brady might be the only one involved. He might have gone over to the ball bin and let air out of them himself. More likely, he has a ball boy do it. Is that conspiracy (it's 2 people, so I'm not sure). There is no proof yet that Belichick had anything to do with it, and I doubt many coaches squeeze the ball, pre-game. He probably leave that part up to Brady's personal preference.

No

OH, but they do.

Edited by HoF Watkins

Again, HOLDING is cheating. It gets penalized during the game. It's a matter of degree. Speeding doesn't get you a life sentence,

Nope. It's a penalty, if we catch you again, just like Holding, we call it again.

Ah yes because holding, which occurs on the field within the sight of a referee or at least they have the ability to be seen by a referee, is the same as purposely deflating mutiple balls out of a referees sight without the ability of a referee seeing the team do it.

Makes total sense. Maybe they can go to booth reviews and coaches challenges when they aren't sure if it was the team who did it or the weather?

Edited by Wayne Cubed

It tells me that the league cares more about the color of Marshawn Lynch's shoes than they do the integrity of the game.

Great, but it also tells me that they never considered it that big of a deal.

Can we agree that the Patriots didn't invent this ploy? WIth so many conclusions being jumped to, is it reasonable to suggest that there may be many other QB's that have done this?

Edited by HoF Watkins

HOw do you know it was a conspiracy? Tom Brady might be the only one involved. He might have gone over to the ball bin and let air out of them himself. More likely, he has a ball boy do it. Is that conspiracy (it's 2 people, so I'm not sure). There is no proof yet that Belichick had anything to do with it, and I doubt many coaches squeeze the ball, pre-game. He probably leave that part up to Brady's personal preference.

Does anyone besides you seriously think that Bill Belichick, whose attention to detail and control-freakishness has been well-documented (and indeed celebrated) over the years, would not know that this is happening?

I don't think Tommy takes a dump without Belichick's permission, let alone his knowledge.

And yes, by definition two people can be a conspiracy.

Edited by BRH

Who conspired? Name names.

The New England Patriots. It wasn't a one time offense, there's a pattern. They faced a complaint and kept on doing it. Some poor ball boy will lose his job, but did he REALLY do this all on his own? Be serious.

If I were getting hummers from Gisele Bundchen every hour, on the hour, from now until the Super Bowl, I, and this story, would not be overblown.

Hydrate.

Can we agree that the Patriots didn't invent this ploy? WIth so many conclusions being jumped to, is it reasonable to suggest that there may be many other QB's that have done this?

I have seen numerous references from other QBs who have weighed in on this or whose names have been mentioned, but none of them to my knowledge, has ever said they were illegal. Aaron Rodgers wasn't. Brad Johnson and Rich Gannon wasn't. Matt Leinhart wasn't. Which QB said he played with balls that were illegally under inflated? even Rodgers never said the balls were above or below the legal limits.

Does anyone besides you seriously think that Bill Belichick, whose attention to detail and control-freakishness has been well-documented (and indeed celebrated) over the years, would not know that this is happening?

I don't think Tommy takes a dump without Belichick's permission, let alone his knowledge.

Again, that's jumping to conclusions. I can definitely see a situation where Brady likes the ball softer, Belichick knows about it, and lets Brady do whatever is most comfortable (and in his mind, is common practice, and knows that referees turn a blind eye to it).

To me the Patriots stay home and the Colts go to the Superbowl.

I would also take the franchise out of New England and move it to Rochester or maybe even Toronto :w00t:

Those chowder heads are absoles..... :thumbdown:

Edited by HOUSE

Again, that's jumping to conclusions. I can definitely see a situation where Brady likes the ball softer, Belichick knows about it, and lets Brady do whatever is most comfortable (and in his mind, is common practice, and knows that referees turn a blind eye to it).

Even though it is against the rules. And you're jumping to conclusions when you say he knows referees turn a blind eye to it.