New England Patriots caught deflating game balls

FireChan

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't they get accused of or investigated for also Listening into other teams radio transmissions. Think it was Jets maybe Can't remember. They found all but 1 of the balls under inflated. Nothing will come out of it.. Just seems When cheating or bending the rules. No other teams name but the New England. Some people sleep well no matter what they do.

September 13, 2007, 12:04 PM ET

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has determined that the New England Patriots violated league rules Sunday when they videotaped defensive signals by the New York Jets' coaches, according to league sources.

NFL security officials confiscated a camera and videotape from Patriots video assistant Matt Estrella on the New England sidelines when it was suspected he was recording the Jets' defensive signals. Sources say the visual evidence confirmed the suspicion.

Goodell is considering severe sanctions, including the possibility of docking the Patriots "multiple draft picks" because it is the competitive violation in the wake of a stern warning to all teams since he became commissioner, the sources said. The Patriots have been suspected in previous incidents.

The Patriots will be allowed an opportunity to present their case by Friday, sources said, most likely via the telephone.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said on Tuesday that no official decision has been made and that the club has not been notified.

The league also was reviewing a possible violation into the number of radio frequencies the Patriots were using during Sunday's game, sources said. The team did not have a satisfactory explanation when asked about possible irregularities in its communication setup during the game.

Goodell is expected to have a decision no later than Friday, but that date is not set in stone.

Patriots owner Robert Kraft was asked Tuesday when he expected a verdict, but said those questions had to be directed toward Goodell.

"There is an investigation going on now, and perhaps an adjudication of it, and I think it would be inappropriate at this time to make any comment," Kraft told reporters at a charity appearance Tuesday. "When you're successful in anything, a lot of people like to try to take you down and do different things. We understand that.

"We worked very hard to try to put an organization together that we all could be proud of in New England, and we're very proud of the New England Patriots organization and the record that they've established over the last 13 seasons and one game."

Edited by TheBillsWillRiseAgain

I wonder how many kickers have overinflated the ball?

SO this hypothetical question...If Norwood had made the kick, and later it was discovered that the ball had been overinflated, what would your response be?

I could reverse the question. If it events played out like they did, and Norwood missed like he did, due to over/under inflation, what would your response be?

Take away draft picks, fine everybody heavily, and suspend Belichick for 1 year like the NFL did to Sean Payton.

Agree. I would also add a permanent ban if Beliballs is caught for a further indescretion.

Edited by seq004

And in light of this happening in 2007, why wouldn't today's news be a big deal?

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has determined that the New England Patriots violated league rules Sunday when they videotaped defensive signals by the New York Jets' coaches, according to league sources.

NFL security officials confiscated a camera and videotape from Patriots video assistant Matt Estrella on the New England sidelines when it was suspected he was recording the Jets' defensive signals. Sources say the visual evidence confirmed the suspicion.

Goodell is considering severe sanctions, including the possibility of docking the Patriots "multiple draft picks" because it is the competitive violation in the wake of a stern warning to all teams since he became commissioner, the sources said. The Patriots have been suspected in previous incidents.

The Patriots will be allowed an opportunity to present their case by Friday, sources said, most likely via the telephone.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said on Tuesday that no official decision has been made and that the club has not been notified.

How it came to light?

NEW YORK -- A story in Wednesday's New York Daily News claims that Jets coach Eric Mangini, a former New England assistant under Bill Belichick, came armed with keen knowledge of the team's surveillance methods -- and finally decided to act.

"[The Jets] knew they did it," the Daily News wrote, citing a person with knowledge of the situation, who sent the newspaper an e-mail. "They caught the guy a year ago, but couldn't do anything about it. When Eric came, he said that's what they used to do. Bill is going to be [ticked] at Eric. He kissed and told."

Sunday's game was the fifth time Mangini has coached against Belichick since joining the Jets.

-- ESPN.com news services

The league also was reviewing a possible violation into the number of radio frequencies the Patriots were using during Sunday's game, sources said. The team did not have a satisfactory explanation when asked about possible irregularities in its communication setup during the game.

Goodell is expected to have a decision no later than Friday, but that date is not set in stone.

Patriots owner Robert Kraft was asked Tuesday when he expected a verdict, but said those questions had to be directed toward Goodell.

"There is an investigation going on now, and perhaps an adjudication of it, and I think it would be inappropriate at this time to make any comment," Kraft told reporters at a charity appearance Tuesday. "When you're successful in anything, a lot of people like to try to take you down and do different things. We understand that.

"We worked very hard to try to put an organization together that we all could be proud of in New England, and we're very proud of the New England Patriots organization and the record that they've established over the last 13 seasons and one game."

Matt Leinart says “every” quarterback tampers with the ball, except one

“Every team tampers with the footballs,” Matt Leinart said on Twitter. “Ask any Qb In the league, this is ridiculous!!”

Leinart then carved out one exception: “Actually my guy @kurt13warner didn’t tamper w the footballs because he wore gloves,” Leinart said. “Used to irritate me..So correction, almost all QBs!”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/21/leinart-says-every-quarterback-tampers-with-the-ball-except-one/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

Oh Jesus Christ, they won by 38 points. They could have been using a marshmallow and this wouldn't have mattered.

This is getting old and makes us look like jealous idiots.

And for theove of God, enough with the asterisks askter the name Pats. It's childish, but more importantly MAKES NO SENSE. You're not questioning their name. If you want to use it after one of the Titles (should you mention one of those), it's still childish, but at lease it makes sense - if that's what you're going after.

So since the Colts sucked like a Hoover, the Cheatriots are somehow validated? BS. It really grinds my gears that no one is even bothering to entertain the idea that given their past cheating history, the Bellicheats could have been doing this since the Spygate years. If they are so great. If Bellicheat is such a genius, and Brady is so wonderful, why are they cheating so hard?

Totally overblown. Get the results first. Good read today on PFT about the impact of cold air over time on a ball. In theory, it's possible that IF the Pats inflate their balls to the lowest possible PSI, that by halftime, in 50 degree, rainy weather, the wet balls would have lost their originally inflated PSI, which presumably was done indoors 2+ hours before the game. If Brady prefers the low end PSI and as science states is clearly true (I know forums aren't the place for science and critical thinking but rather vitriol and emotion) that air pressure decreases with temperature, this is entirely possible. What's more, and I admit I haven't read everything, I think testing the Indy's sidelines balls would be necessary. Afterall, cheating is about giving one team and advantage over another, right?

try again physics will tell you the ball is not going to lose that much PSI with that little of temperature change.

a 2 PSI change is not going ot happen going from a 70 degree indoor temperature to a 48 degree temp on field

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/2015/01/21/how-the-patriots-could-have-cheated-without-letting-air-out-the-ball/Eocm5m29nIlh0HRBjFWsYO/story.html

However, the NFL found that 11 of the Patriots 12 balls were “underinflated by about 2 pounds each.” In order for a ball to register a 10.5 PSI in a 50 degree environment but register a 12.5 PSI in the testing environment, the ball would have to have been inflated, stored, and/or tested in a 91 degree environment.

Matt Leinart says “every” quarterback tampers with the ball, except one

“Every team tampers with the footballs,” Matt Leinart said on Twitter. “Ask any Qb In the league, this is ridiculous!!”

Leinart then carved out one exception: “Actually my guy @kurt13warner didn’t tamper w the footballs because he wore gloves,” Leinart said. “Used to irritate me..So correction, almost all QBs!”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/21/leinart-says-every-quarterback-tampers-with-the-ball-except-one/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

Every team tampers with footballs or every team tampers with footballs enough to significantly alter their stiffness outside of the allowed parameters? Big difference.

September 13, 2007, 12:04 PM ET

Interesting discussion now on radio freq. no wonders Brady always calls the best possible play

Totally overblown. Get the results first. Good read today on PFT about the impact of cold air over time on a ball. In theory, it's possible that IF the Pats inflate their balls to the lowest possible PSI, that by halftime, in 50 degree, rainy weather, the wet balls would have lost their originally inflated PSI, which presumably was done indoors 2+ hours before the game. If Brady prefers the low end PSI and as science states is clearly true (I know forums aren't the place for science and critical thinking but rather vitriol and emotion) that air pressure decreases with temperature, this is entirely possible. What's more, and I admit I haven't read everything, I think testing the Indy's sidelines balls would be necessary. Afterall, cheating is about giving one team and advantage over another, right?

No, it's not. I did the math in the other thread. The temperature would have had to be 12 below for the pressure to drop that much.

No. Anything short of a disqualification from the Super Bowl, loss of their 2015 draft, and a year suspension for belichick should be seen as a slap on the wrist and met with outrage by anyone interested in the integrity of the game. The pats* organization already got their sweep it under the rug free pass with spygate. It's time for the league to send a message that repeat offenders will not be tolerated.