New England Patriots caught deflating game balls

FireChan

Every team tampers with footballs or every team tampers with footballs enough to significantly alter their stiffness outside of the allowed parameters? Big difference.

If anybody should know, it's Matt Leinart :rolleyes:

The problem with this "infraction" like so many of the others Bellicheat and the Cheatriots are "guilty" of is that they rarely defy the LETTER of the law, only the spirit.

A great example of this is the ineligible receivers turned hurry up trick they played against Baltimore.

I think this guy summarizes it nicely: http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/01/19/new-england-patriots-deflategate-bill-belichick-tom-brady

That is a good article - check out the paid trolls in the comments…..sure…..100% of the replies are pro-Patriot and ad-hominem attacks on the author.

Edited by filthymcnasty08

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. Anything short of a disqualification from the Super Bowl, loss of their 2015 draft, and a year suspension for belichick should be seen as a slap on the wrist and met with outrage by anyone interested in the integrity of the game. The pats* organization already got their sweep it under the rug free pass with spygate. It's time for the league to send a message that repeat offenders will not be tolerated.

Integrity of the game? :lol:

The game hasn't had any integrity since 2001, when the Bush administration ordered the league to let the Patriots win it all in a shamelessly jingoistic propaganda move.

It's being reported that the balls were re inflated at half time and returned to regulation for the second half. If that's the case then why was a ball removed after the second half kickoff? I call BS and think this is nothing more than spin control by the NFL to save face. Disgusting.

Edited by NorCalBillsSabres

No. Anything short of a disqualification from the Super Bowl, loss of their 2015 draft, and a year suspension for belichick should be seen as a slap on the wrist and met with outrage by anyone interested in the integrity of the game. The pats* organization already got their sweep it under the rug free pass with spygate. It's time for the league to send a message that repeat offenders will not be tolerated.

+1000

They aren't going to be disqualified, but I can't see how Belichick is going to be allowed to coach in this game. The fact that they cheated again forces the NFL to lower the boom on them this time.

I think there's a good chance that Belichick has already coached his last game for the Patriots and rightly so.

Apparently its coming out from lots of players this is a fairly routine thing?

Post a link to this claim.

It's being reported that the balls were re inflated at half time and returned to regulation for the second half. If that's the case then why was a ball removed after the second half kickoff? I call BS and think this is nothing more than spin control by the NFL to save face. Disgusting.

Because they mistakenly used the "kicking" ball.

Home team provides their own footballs. Away team brings their own footballs. NFL provides footballs for kicking. Does no one see a problem with that system?

No, it's not. I did the math in the other thread. The temperature would have had to be 12 below for the pressure to drop that much.

Isn't there a rule of thumb used for tire inflation ? Every 10 degree temperature drop results in a 1 PSI drop as stated in tirebuyer.com ? So even if we made that a bit more conservative, say every 15 degree drop in temperature results in a 1 PSI drop, you would still be able to come up with a 2 PSI scenario within reason .

You were not chased out of the other thread. You just didn't agree with the majority and are looking to surround yourself with people who will agree with you

I'm not "afraid" to stand by my points. I already have, and this thread is to see if there are others that agree.

I think I heard on the radio, that the official fine for this transgression is $25,000, anyone else know if this is true?

That should give an idea of the level that this misconduct is considered...not much.

Edited by HoF Watkins

there are "game" balls and "kicking" balls.

Wrong. Multiple people indicated that they didn't want me posting in that thread. Bring it on.

In a blind test today on ESPN, Mark Brunell and Jerome Bettis were both able to identify an under inflated ball, correctly inflated ball and an over inflated ball.

Brunell said that he'd be able to throw the under inflated ball 10 yards farther and with more accuracy.

Bettis said that it would be much harder for a defender to strip an under inflated ball from the runner.

In a blind test today on ESPN, Mark Brunell and Jerome Bettis were both able to identify an under inflated ball, correctly inflated ball and an over inflated ball.

Brunell said that he'd be able to throw the under inflated ball 10 yards farther and with more accuracy.

Bettis said that it would be much harder for a defender to strip an under inflated ball from the runner.

Great, it's up to the officials, during the game to notice this, and penalize the team. It's obviously not that hard to discern if the ball is indeed underinflated.

Just because most didn't agree with you in the other thread, starting a new thread won't help your cause.

Still waiting for which Gronk non call you were referring to.

As to the allegations against Pats* I don't know how many times it has to be explained that the whole reason this story is getting legs is that it's the one franchise that's had a consistent pattern of dubious behavior and it's institutionalized. That's why all your cries about misdeeds of individual players doesn't hold water.

The fish in this case rots from the head.

I'm not "afraid" to stand by my points. I already have, and this thread is to see if there are others that agree.

I think I heard on the radio, that the official fine for this transgression is $25,000, anyone else know if this is true?

That should give an idea of the level that this misconduct is considered...not much.

No not overblown.

Let me guess you're a Colin Cowturd fan.

Edited by moreproblemsthanOrton

Great, it's up to the officials, during the game to notice this, and penalize the team. It's obviously not that hard to discern if the ball is indeed underinflated.

Which is why they took away 11 of the 12

The NFL changes and updates rules all the time. Leave it to your cheating Patriots to provide the impetus for another needed change.