New England Patriots caught deflating game balls

FireChan

Lori Chase retweeted

Good look by @thebiglead into how well New England has thrown the ball in cold weather: http://bit.ly/15A02WT

Here’s the Warm versus Cold splits from 2010-2014 for the Baltimore Ravens (Flacco) Green Bay Packers (Rodgers), New York Giants (Eli Manning) and Pittsburgh Steelers (Roethlisberger).

screen-shot-2015-01-21-at-1-06-08-pm.png

* Edit - Is this NOT a big difference? If other Teams/QBs did this as well it isn't these players...

Edited by Reed83HOF

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how many kickers have overinflated the ball?

SO this hypothetical question...If Norwood had made the kick, and later it was discovered that the ball had been overinflated, what would your response be?

The league knew about it beforehand but obviously wasn't concerned enough to ensure that the referees of the AFC game checked the balls carefully, as they're supposed to. Or do we have a referee problem per se?

And do referees regularly turn a blind eye to this kind of thing (for all teams) during games?

All this whining is going to lead to longer commercial breaks before kicks...Someone needs to invent a digital ball measuring device for the sidelines. There will be representatives form both teams, and the league, regulating ball pressure before each change of possession and kicks.

Edited by HoF Watkins

Lori Chase retweeted

Good look by @thebiglead into how well New England has thrown the ball in cold weather: http://bit.ly/15A02WT

Here’s the Warm versus Cold splits from 2010-2014 for the Baltimore Ravens (Flacco) Green Bay Packers (Rodgers), New York Giants (Eli Manning) and Pittsburgh Steelers (Roethlisberger).

screen-shot-2015-01-21-at-1-06-08-pm.png

* Edit - Is this NOT a big difference? If other Teams/QBs did this as well it isn't these players...

ANd people wonder why they are so good at home in the playoffs? This is one reason. Knowing the other teams D is another.

SO this hypothetical question...If Norwood had made the kick, and later it was discovered that the ball had been overinflated, what would your response be?

So we're moving into the "distraction" phase of the arguments now ? ?

ESPN is also reporting that the Colts raised concerns to the NFL after their 42-20 loss in November to the Patriots about under-inflated footballs. There were reportedly concerns about the footballs after Colts safety Mike Adams gave the team’s equipment manager balls to save following his two-interception game against Patriots quarterback Tom Brady.

A source told ESPN that the league is “disappointed … angry … distraught” over the recent findings.

It happened earlier in the year too.

OK here is two more points.

1- Its well known that the Pats often start slow in a season. Its also well known that they make great halftime adjustments. Knowing these two pieces of info, isn't it likely that they are STILL stealing other teams signals? This would make perfect sense. A it takes a few games to decipher another teams signals and B the Pats*** may not figure out how to best use these signals to their advantage until the second half.

2- Everyone knows how the beat the Pats. You have to Pressure brady, who turns into a pouty little school girl when he is under pressure. But you can't blitz brady, because he always (ALWAYS) beats the blitzes, like he is expecting them. So you really can only rush your front 4. What is unique about this?? Well, its really the ONLY defense you cannot beat with scheme. It is the ONLY defense where the offense would NOT gain an advantage of knowing the other teams defense before the ball is snapped. In that instance the Pats*** only have to rely on their front five to block your front four. There is no blitz to exploit by knowing its coming. There is no zone scheme to get an advantage on. You simply have to hope the OL can block the DL. And when they cant, the Patsies*** lose.

Please provide a link because I haven't heard one QB come out and say they knowingly played with under inflated footballs for a competitive advantage.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/reminder--brad-johnson-paid-for-super-bowl-footballs-to-be-doctored-142642094.html

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/12201369/aaron-rodgers-green-bay-packers-upset-referees-take-air-footballs

Just a couple articles I saw floating around today.

(the Rodgers link/quotes I've seen floating around some seem to indicate that it's known that QBs seek out underinflated balls, this specific article doesn't say too much about individual games though)

Edited by Dorkington

YOu really think this will divert anything? I am just investigating the questions that the situation brings up.

Should I start a separate thread?

If Norwood/the Bills staff had been caught cheating before and had shown tendencies to disregard or circumvent the rules, I think you'd see this exact situation.

YOu really think this will divert anything? I am just investigating the questions that the situation brings up.

Should I start a separate thread?

If over inflated footballs made them drift to the left on FGs then you might have a point.

Stop playing what ifs. This REALLY HAPPENED. It happened MULTIPLE TIMES. these guys have a severe history of cheating.

What popped into my memory was how did Hostettler not fumble from a Bruce Smith massive chop in that same game. That play has always been with me.

This under inflated football schit could have EASILY swayed the outcome of the Baltimore game. Not to mention their boarderline illegal substitution crap. The Refs have horribly mishandled that.

NE should have been eliminated from the playoffs. Baltimore won that game. NE cheated.

Technically they were in the rules on that one. Stupid trick play, similar to cinematic classic Second String, but still technically legal, so it doesn't make me as mad.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/reminder--brad-johnson-paid-for-super-bowl-footballs-to-be-doctored-142642094.html

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/12201369/aaron-rodgers-green-bay-packers-upset-referees-take-air-footballs

Just a couple articles I saw floating around today.

(the Rodgers link/quotes I've seen floating around some seem to indicate that it's known that QBs seek out underinflated balls, this specific article doesn't say too much about individual games though)

You need to go back and re-read those articles. There's not one charge of QBs knowingly playing with illegally under inflated footballs.

Johnsons claim is about scuffed up balls which all QBs like and were used by both teams in the Superbowl. In the other article, Rogers is talking about most QBs liking the balls defaulted to the minimum level possible, not deflating them to an illegal lower level.

The Patriots cheated and there's been no evidence provided by you that states that any of the other 31 teams have done this also.

Edited by 1billsfan

You need to go back and re-read those articles. There's not one charge of QBs knowingly playing with illegally under inflated footballs.

Johnsons claim is about scuffed up balls which all QBs like and were used by both teams in the Superbowl. In the other article, Rogers is talking about most QBs liking the balls defaulted to the minimum level possible, not deflating them to an illegal lower level.

The Patriots cheated and there's been no evidence provided by you that states that any of the other 31 teams have done this also.

If you don't think other teams try to game the system, then you're incredibly naive.

The Pats got "caught", and the NFL will sweep it under the rug, or give them a slap on the wrist. Life moves on.

I was chased out of the other thread, because dissent is not tolerated.

I feel it is a minor transgression, worthy of a 15 yard penalty if caught during the game, with a fine later.

I think it is being fueled by opposing fan's pettiness, and a click baiting media.

Anyone else feel similarly?