New England Patriots caught deflating game balls

FireChan

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Teams that have significant off-field distractions before a Super Bowl virtually always suffer -- the Raiders in 02 (Barrett Robins), the Bengals in 88 (Stanley Wilson arrest), Atlanta in 1998 (Eugene Robinson), etc.

My prediction: Seattle 31, NE 13.

One notable exception: The year Al Davis was being sued by the NFL for planning to move the Raiders to LA against league relocation rules they beat Philadelphia in Super Bowl XV.

One notable exception: The year Al Davis was being sued by the NFL for planning to move the Raiders to LA against league relocation rules they beat Philadelphia in Super Bowl XV.

Good point. This situation may be more like the 1980 one than the one I cited. It all depends on whether Belichick/Brady can effectively embrace being Morgoth/Sauron and convince the team to go all FTW on their opponents, a la Al Davis in his heyday.

My point is that the rules are NOT simple to read. They've become inordinately complex in an attempt to legislate any and all ambiguity out of the game. And perversely, they've had the opposite effect: the rules are so complex that the rules are more ambiguous than ever and more subject to the interpretation and judgement of the officials on the field (why do you think the TV crews have had to introduce analysts to cover the officiating into their broadcasts?)

That sums it up perfectly. I couldn't agree more.

I've always felt it was funny that American football is the only sport where the officials have to make a spectacle of explaining via microphone to the crowd what is happening. Now the broadcasters need another official to add another level of interpretation. It's nuts.

Edited by Cugalabanza

Gerry Austin on Mike and Mike, his understanding was all 24 measured at haltime, all the Colts balls were fine, all the Pats balls were deflated. His conclusion was someone deflated them.

Now, he also said they would have been inflated to proper pressure at half.

The narrative will become..."second half is when Pats blew them out...not a story"

except when measured after the game they were low again, which means they deflated them twice.

Read it again. I didn't say he did.

you said Goodell needs to go and then started asking me about rules. So maybe I got the wrong idea, thought you were blaming Goodell for the rules.

Social media and idiot players makes being NFL Commissioner a can't win job.

As for NE cheating, IMO this is worse than Bounty Gate because it's cheating the game. My only issues with Goodell were how he handled Bounty Gate and the video taping. He needs to come down hard on NE.

you said Goodell needs to go and then started asking me about rules. So maybe I got the wrong idea, thought you were blaming Goodell for the rules.

Social media and idiot players makes being NFL Commissioner a can't win job.

As for NE cheating, IMO this is worse than Bounty Gate because it's cheating the game. My only issues with Goodell were how he handled Bounty Gate and the video taping. He needs to come down hard on NE.

It's bad, but I think that Bountygate was the worst. It had a real impact too - hobbling Favre got the Saints to the SB, essentially. Moreover, it's despicable.

Ultimately, it is up to the game officials to enforce the rules, including that the ball is at the correct psi. It's on the officials, and anyone claiming that they don't "handle the ball in the same way" is being disingenuous.

Teams and players attempt to skirt the rules (cheat) in all kinds of ways, during and before the games, REGULARLY. When it happens, they blow the whistle and dole out a penalty, or don't allow the situation to continue. The officials are there to enforce the rules. It's on them...

It ain't cheating if you don't get caught. Got it.

Does this now bring into question how Brady turned around his season? The Pats* were sitting at 2-2 and went to KC and got blown out. Brady was having trouble, lots of trouble, with his throws before and during the KC game. Did they deflate the balls a bit so he could throw better? As Brunell says it helped him throw 10 yards further.

These are the questions it raises.

It's bad, but I think that Bountygate was the worst. It had a real impact too - hobbling Favre got the Saints to the SB, essentially. Moreover, it's despicable.

I don't think the saints intentionally tried to hurt someone outside the rules. The Bills had Bounty's yet we didn't get in trouble. Bounty gate was bad, but cheating IMO is the worst offense a player or team can make.

where you getting that from?

I have not seen that reported anywhere...and if true I can see Belichek being suspended for a year

Could be an inaccurate assumption on my part. I assumed that the NFL confiscated the balls after the game and the readings that were provided today were post game numbers.

I don't think the saints intentionally tried to hurt someone outside the rules. The Bills had Bounty's yet we didn't get in trouble. Bounty gate was bad, but cheating IMO is the worst offense a player or team can make.

Holding is cheating. Illegal Formations are cheating. Pass Interference is cheating...

Watching that game and with no previous knowledge at the time, that the Aints had bounty's.It is pretty clear they were out and specifically targeted Brett Favre and tried to hurt him. it worked! That superbowl that followed should also have an asterisk. Using a broad term of the definition. That Team cheated.