New England Patriots caught deflating game balls

FireChan

No. It's not like the balls have a security camera on them at all times. And it's not like you need sophisticated equipment to deflate them similarly - stick an inflation needle in each one, count to three, remove needle. That's more than enough consistency, particularly within the reported accuracy of the pressure gauges they use.

Then I would say ..... good luck proving that some ballboy was capable enough to pull this off in front of the world and not get caught.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the fact that they won't is precisely why the Patriots do this.

What penalty is a Superbowl appearance worth? Some people keep saying "$25,000 fine," but I'd have to believe that any owner in the league would shell out that much to increase their chances of getting to the Superbowl.

Not that I'm suggesting they should be banned from the Superbowl...just pointing out that, from a risk/reward basis, cheating like this makes complete sense.

Yes, I said as much many pages ago. In fact, it is worth pointing out that any penalty here which is merely a monetary fine is not a penalty at all. At this level of business, money doesn't matter and it is therefore no penalty at all.

You can't hurt a billionaire with an $X fine.

You hurt him with lost draft picks, suspended coach, forfeiture of Superbowl appearance...that sort of thing.

It will be interesting to see what penalty comes of this.

Well, I am a physicist, so let's do the math:

The relation between pressure and gas are constant, so it's an easy calculation. P/T = C. But it doesn't matter what C is, since we're comparing two different ratios to each other, i.e. (P/T)pregame = (P/T)outdoors.

Going by recollection, game-time temperatures were about 4 degrees Celsius. Indoor were probably on the order of 72 degrees F - let's take the high end and call it 24C. Convert to Kelvins, that's about 277K and 299K, respectively.

So inflate the balls to 12.5psi pregame, and (12.5/297) = (P/277). Pressure at game-time temps is 277*12.5/297 = 11.6psi.

Claims seem to be that the balls were measured at 10.5psi. Even assuming the pressure gauge is inaccurate, if it's inaccurate to the point of being a pound off, then the league can't accurately measure the inflation of the balls to begin with (given that the acceptable range of inflation would be equal to the error of the gauge.) If that particular gauge was measuring low by a pound, then the league screwed up in using a defective gauge. If, however, the gauges were accurate, somebody deflated the balls during the game by about one psi.

I'm inclined to believe the latter, for two reasons: 1) Reports are that all the balls were deflated to the same pressure, which in itself implies accuracy in measurement, and 2) I hate The Brady and The Hoodie. But no matter the cause, this represents a serious lack of quality control by the league, which is particularly alarming given that it's a league that goes to excessively nitpicky lengths to define on-field rules (like what is and is not a complete pass) in the name of quality.

I was told there would be no math.

That would be my first guess too. And if it was a different team with no history of cheating, I'm sure that's what they would have already done. But this is, I think, already beyond the league's control.

That would be a very tough thing to sell, this new proposed "Tuck rule" approach.

disgruntled Bills fans want maximum punishment leveled against the Pats to increase the chances of the Bills beating the Pats

pretty sad that they will take that route, but understandable, when the Pats have been so much better over the years, yep Bills need all the help they can get so ass clown HC can get a win and be able to brag about how great a HC he is

More internet humor....................submitted to demonstrate that this story is not just Buffalo fans whining.

Dearest Martha,

It seems our rivals bear little honour.

I may be defeated, but I am not deflated.

Yours, Gen. A. Luck

B74Ze-cCMAEKGcR.jpg

This is freaking great!

:lol::lol::lol:

More internet humor....................submitted to demonstrate that this story is not just Buffalo fans whining.

Dearest Martha,

It seems our rivals bear little honour.

I may be defeated, but I am not deflated.

Yours, Gen. A. Luck

To be fair, legit cause or not, of course Colts fans would be whining about it.

disgruntled Bills fans want maximum punishment leveled against the Pats to increase the chances of the Bills beating the Pats

pretty sad that they will take that route, but understandable, when the Pats have been so much better over the years, yep Bills need all the help they can get so ass clown HC can get a win and be able to brag about how great a HC he is

Crusade much?

Why can you not understand this is not about Bills fans. Third trending subject on Twiiter...worldwide.

Is it a bigger story cause its the Pats...absolutely. But not just from Bills fans.

Just throwing this out there: Seahawks players have been notorious for juicing up in the last 2-3 years (a few have been suspended, but I'm assuming most haven't been caught; Badolbeelz has been posting about this for a while), and their strategy of practicing defensive holding on just about every damn play (figuring that it can't get called all the time) is certainly against the spirit of the game. Carroll ran a pretty shady operation at SC too.

Both coaches bend the rules, but who is worse?

Just throwing this out there: Seahawks players have been notorious for juicing up in the last 2-3 years (a few have been suspended, but I'm assuming most haven't been caught; Badolbeelz has been posting about this for a while), and their strategy of practicing defensive holding on just about every damn play (figuring that it can't get called all the time) is certainly against the spirit of the game. Carroll ran a pretty shady operation at SC too.

So now the league is reduced to a choice of who's the lesser cheater?

That's easy. Juicing is wrong. It's widespread. A lot of players get caught. I would assume it's not a team policy. Teams don't test their players do they? The defensive example is not cheating at all, it is risk reward. Carroll being shady at SC is nothing to do with anything. If this happened to him, or the hawks, people would be bringing that up.

Al Davis must be rolling over in his grave , and laughing his ass off over latest cheating actuations, Pats are the Raiders of the 60's and 70's, got to love it, no love for the bad guys, HA Ha, Ha

I would imagine Eddie DeBartolo is getting a kick out of all this also. Probably can't believe a couple #'s of PSI deficiency in a football is really causing such a stir.

So now the league is reduced to a choice of who's the lesser cheater?

That's what we're faced with though. Behind the facade of their god-fearing QB and their smart personnel guys, they're a pretty rough organization that often treats rules as optional - especially on the defensive personnel/strategy side of things.