New England Patriots caught deflating game balls

FireChan

To me, the weather dropping the temperature excuse is kind of dumb because this would have been an issue 1000 times before if that were the case.

Well cold air is definitely going to drop the pressure relative to a given pressure measured indoors where it is warm.

I think what is interesting is that it was a full 2 PSI below the accepted tolerance...and as I think you mentioned up-thread, it is interesting that the LB who intercepted the ball noticed something "really wrong" right away. So wrong he made a stink about it.

Obviously we don't see that in most games (or any that I recall) so your point is well made.

So while we can assume the cold air did drop pressure in the ball, it wouldn't be to this degree. Something "more" had to be involved.

You know, like a lying, cheating bunch of scumbags in Foxborough.

:lol:

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the officials didn't check them before I doubt they would have gone to the lengths they did unless it was a total coverup for their mistake. Not to mention that the "investigation" would have been over in five minutes. They gather both teams 12 balls and measured them all at halftime. The Colts 12 were fine, 11 of 12 Patriots were not.

I too doubt that they didn't test the balls before playing. Much more likely is they tested both sets of balls and allowed them entry into the game. If so, then the Pats aren't at fault here.

If not, and the Pats doctored the balls after the officials tested them, then guilty as charged and heads should roll.

Steve, why do you think this is not a story?

I think it is a story. A story that is ridiculously overblown. If they did it, the league has a fine for it. Fine them and move on. For Spy gate, they lost a first round pick and were fined $750,000. Since this is a totally new offense (and therefore not the "second offense" of the same "crime") punish them with a fine and move on.

I get it. We hate the Pats.

But my biggest concern is how petty we look.

I'll stop posting in this thread, as I understand I'm boarder line trolling and I've made my thoughts known.

Bucs QB Brad Johnson paid to have balls illegally altered in the Super Bowl against the Raiders: http://www.sbnation.com/2015/1/21/7865605/brad-johnson-tampa-bay-buccaneers-super-bowl-deflategate .

I'm not justifying anything, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is considered part of "home field advantage" for many teams, especially outdoor ones. We'll find out. Not too many coaches or QBs are criticizing the Pats as far as I can tell ...

I think it is a story. A story that is ridiculously overblown. If they did it, the league has a fine for it. Fine them and move on. For Spy gate, they lost a first round pick and were fined $750,000. Since this is a totally new offense (and therefore not the "second offense" of the same "crime") punish them with a fine and move on.

I'll stop posting in this thread, as I understand I'm boarder line trolling and I've made my thoughts known.

look at comments not here... like ESPN. Same things are echoed, including Pats fans who are voicing displeasure with their team

Bucs QB Brad Johnson paid to have balls illegally altered in the Super Bowl against the Raiders: http://www.sbnation.com/2015/1/21/7865605/brad-johnson-tampa-bay-buccaneers-super-bowl-deflategate .

I'm not justifying anything, but I wouldn't be surprised if this is considered part of "home field advantage" for many teams, especially outdoor ones. We'll find out. Not too many coaches or QBs are criticizing the Pats as far as I can tell ...

In 2006 Brady and manning pushed to have road teams control their own as previously home provided everything. Once upon a time you were probably right in that observation

In 2006 Brady and manning pushed to have road teams control their own as previously home provided everything. Once upon a time you were probably right in that observation

One of things that was pointed on PFT makes sense to me. It's all about increasing offense:

"Seventh, how widespread is the practice? ... Maybe most teams do it, which would help explain why the officials didn’t notice it.

Eighth, should the NFL want pristine, fully-inflated footballs? The NFL wants teams to score points. With not enough competent quarterbacks to fill up the depth charts of 32 NFL teams, maybe the officials and, in turn, the league routinely look the other way on strategies aimed at allowing the quarterbacks to better grip and throw the footballs. Why else would the league have changed the procedures in 1999 for kicking balls only?"

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/21/many-questions-linger-regarding-deflategate/

Man, I loathe cheating. It disrespects the game.

Based on history of cheating (not to mention the stuff the NFL knows about but has done nothing on), Belichick should be suspended. They won't do it before the SB because it makes too much money, but given what New Orleans got, the cheater should get at least 8 games.

I too doubt that they didn't test the balls before playing. Much more likely is they tested both sets of balls and allowed them entry into the game. If so, then the Pats aren't at fault here.

If not, and the Pats doctored the balls after the officials tested them, then guilty as charged and heads should roll.

That's definitely when it happened. Of course they're not going to do it before the officials test them.

I think without Spygate, its a non story.

And i do believe its second offense, it is trying to gain an advantage outside the rules.

And as I posted today...CBS morning news led with it yesterday...and ask the VP of the USA today about it...it is much bigger then Bills fan.

And keep posting..not trolling, differing opinions make the thread fun :thumbsup:

Patriots obviously tampered with the footballs. They did, in fact, cheat and get busted. That said, if they were the Raiders, who in their heyday openly bragged about cheating as part of their core philosophy, everyone would wink, nod and praise them for being anti-establishment renegades who defy the powerful elites of NFL authority. It would only add to their lore and charm.

However, because the Patriots have a more corporate image the standard is different in the court of public opinion. They are somehow considered the establishment team abusing power. They are perceived as The Suits that the charming rebels of Oakland fought against representing regular people everywhere. In reality, the Patriots and the old Raiders were cut from the same cloth, pushed the rules, and had the talent to back it up with championships.

As we see from the plight of the Raiders the past decade, if you stink it doesn't matter how much stickum you apply or air you deflate from the balls. You stink you get beat, you have talent you win. The extra edge you can get from playing it sneaky or dirty may be against the rules, but whether it's considered right or wrong is a matter of subjective perception.

Edited by negativo

yes but he had all of them altered meaning that the Raiders would be using the same balls too

CBF

Rubbing all the balls down to get the new ball shininess off them is a completely different thing.

Patriots obviously tampered with the footballs. They did, in fact, cheat and get busted. That said, if they were the Raiders, who in their heyday openly bragged about cheating as part of their core philosophy, everyone would wink, nod and praise them for being anti-establishment renegades who defy the powerful elites of NFL authority. It would only add to their lore and charm.

However, because the Patriots have a more corporate image the standard is different in the court of public opinion. They are somehow considered the establishment team abusing power. They are perceived as The Suits that the charming rebels of Oakland fought against representing regular people everywhere. In reality, the Patriots and the old Raiders were cut from the same cloth, pushed the rules, and had the talent to back it up with championships.

As we see from the plight of the Raiders the past decade, if you stink it doesn't matter how much stickum you apply or air you deflate from the balls. You stink you get beat, you have talent you win. The extra edge you can get from playing it sneaky or dirty may be against the rules, but whether it's considered right or wrong is a matter of subjective perception.

Stickum wasnt illegal.

One of things that was pointed on PFT makes sense to me. It's all about increasing offense:

"Seventh, how widespread is the practice? ... Maybe most teams do it, which would help explain why the officials didnt notice it.

Eighth, should the NFL want pristine, fully-inflated footballs? The NFL wants teams to score points. With not enough competent quarterbacks to fill up the depth charts of 32 NFL teams, maybe the officials and, in turn, the league routinely look the other way on strategies aimed at allowing the quarterbacks to better grip and throw the footballs. Why else would the league have changed the procedures in 1999 for kicking balls only?"

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/21/many-questions-linger-regarding-deflategate/

its almost certainly why they would let qbs alter balls in advance of the game instead of having a set batch that cant be touched. ill also agree that refs probably see a whole lot of stuff that they let go with this.

im surprised no one has speculated that grigson, who called it in to the office allegedly, was a part of the rams organization back when they lost to the pats with the filming question marks.... i wouldnt be shocked if that is the actual out of the ordinary tie in that made this blow up, instead of the balls being widely different than refs see week to week. thats not an attempt to excuse it, just not sure if the softer balls are totally out of the ordinary yet and he might be particularly in tune to looking out for the pats bending the rules.

Edited by NoSaint

yes but he had all of them altered meaning that the Raiders would be using the same balls too

CBF

And it wasn't a home game for the Bucs either. What I want to know is if this par for the course for home teams that play in "weather." The fact that the rules were changed for kicking balls but not regular balls in 1999 makes me wonder.