New England Patriots caught deflating game balls

FireChan

This week we find out it's a lot easier to pass and catch a football when it is slightly deflated.

HEY, NFL! I got a great idea! Keep the rules the same and DEFLATE THE FRIGGIN'FOOTBALL two pounds!

It is way, way easier to throw, and catch. SO much easier on the fingers for a receiver. My right middle finger is permanently bent from having an 'incoming' football smash it on the very top of the finger. An underinflated ball has enough 'give' where this might not have happened.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, guys. You tend to forget about those other incidents. I think this is on par with a stick-em type violation. But maybe since it is a second offense, the league will come down hard on them.

I may be wrong JR...but I recall there being no rule against 'stickum' in the NFL at the time Lester Hayes used it with Raiders. He used to go on the field with the stuff literally dripping off his hands and everyone knew he was using it. It wasn't illegal.

Hence, I can't draw the same parallel with NE as they knowingly broke a rule. That, and the fact that they are systemic cheaters. stickum.jpgs.

My right middle finger is permanently bent from having an 'incoming' football smash it on the very top of the finger.

i'm sorry for your loss.

@BruceFeldmanCFB: Patriots>RT @DanWetzel: That's 16% under inflated. A LB for the Colts, who rarely touches the ball, notices. But not the refs? Strange story

Who was the ref? Ed Hochuli could have squeezed one of those balls like a grape, but, some of those guys aren't quite as fit as he is.

Wayne, I was one on Monday morning said "much ado about nothing" , but am starting to change my mind.

And your right, it should not matter that the game was close or not close, or that the infraction was "minor". It is a clear intent to skirt the rules. And if this 11 of 12 is proved to be correct, it is a clear indication intentional.

In terms of penalty, I really am not that concerned. This just sucks for their fans. I don't care what any of them say, they know deep down now that maybe this whole run was based on cheating. Every time they stick their chest out say how great that team is, every other fan will just say all based in cheating, and deep down the Pats fan will now know that is correct.

No penalty they can inflict on the team or Belicheck can be worse than that.....Belicheck or Brady has now ruined every Pats fan enjoyment, and he has permanently tarnished his reputation the last two weeks....again if this found to be true.

I have Very good friends who are Pats fans, and I actually will feel sorry for them if this is true.

Edit. Just got first text from a Pats fan, he is really pissed about this. He is stuck between a rock and hard place now....he is a die hard Pats fan...this is worse for him than any loss of draft picks etc

Hey, at least you can admit it.

I don't actually think the punishment could or should be to vacate the win against the Colts. I think they would have won anyways. Which just makes them stupid for doing it. A fine definitely and possible loss of a draft pick.

I have a gut feeling this will be placed on the refs not checking the balls correctly before the game...saves the integrity of the game, Pats get to claim ignorance , focus goes back on the Super Bowl

Can just feel it coming.

Yup they will say that the balls where never properly checked out before the f=game a minor oversight by the officiating crew.

One thing that is certain is cheaters will always cheat and I am pretty convinced that this is just one of many little things they have been doing for a long time to gain that advantage. I just hope Seahawks crush the snot out of them so that they will be 0-3 since being caught taping.

I may be wrong JR...but I recall there being no rule against 'stickum' in the NFL at the time Lester Hayes used it with Raiders. He used to go on the field with the stuff literally dripping off his hands and everyone knew he was using it. It wasn't illegal.

Hence, I can't draw the same parallel with NE as they knowingly broke a rule. That, and the fact that they are systemic cheaters.

You are correct. And while Hayes has the reputation, it was Biletnikoff that taught him about stickum.

So 11 of 12 balls were under-inflated by TWO PSI (that's huge), and the balls used by the Patriots were last inspected by the referee 2 hours 15 minutes prior to game start? Then handed to a ball boy who works for New England?

I am thinking of Tom Brady's morning comments on WEEI: "I don't even pay attention to this stuff anymore."

Like I said way up-thread....Tommy isn't dumb.

Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations.

The harder the NE camp argues this is nothing, it's a mistake, we'll cooperate any way we can...the more you know they cheated.

So 11 of 12 balls were under-inflated by TWO PSI (that's huge), and the balls used by the Patriots were last inspected by the referee 2 hours 15 minutes prior to game start? Then handed to a ball boy who works for New England?

I am thinking of Tom Brady's morning comments on WEEI: "I don't even pay attention to this stuff anymore."

Like I said way up-thread....Tommy isn't dumb.

Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations.

The harder the NE camp argues this is nothing, it's a mistake, we'll cooperate any way we can...the more you know they cheated.

I wonder, as they review the entire process, why not give the away team's balls to a staff member of that team? It's just as easy to over (or under) inflate an opponents balls as it is to tamper with your own. Isn't it? Seems odd, in retrospect, that someone paid by the home team has control of them.

I wonder, as they review the entire process, why not give the away team's balls to a staff member of that team? It's just as easy to over (or under) inflate an opponents balls as it is to tamper with your own. Isn't it? Seems odd, in retrospect, that someone paid by the home team has control of them.

My understanding is that they do. In other words, each team's ball boy handles its own balls for its own use on offense. I thought all the balls were provided by the home team initially, but not under the control of the home team for the duration of the game.

Maybe I am totally wrong on that!?

One thing is clear: they will completely change how balls are handled going forward, and they will be under the control of a neutral NFL official. Or at least they should be!

Of note: Aaron Rodgers says he has big hands and a strong grip, and therefore likes an over-inflated or pumped up ball. He says he is probably in the minority on that.

He also says GB's balls are frequently modified and messed with by OFFICIALS prior to the game, as they take air OUT of the ball (b/c he likes it so pumped up). He feels this hurts his game.

His point is that the minimum PSI rule is appropriate, but that there should be no maximum PSI rule.

Interesting.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2014/story/_/id/12201369/aaron-rodgers-green-bay-packers-upset-referees-take-air-footballs

You yentas are still crying about this?

Good lord this is embarrassing.

You have failed, entirely, to grasp what this story is about.

Congratulations.

You yentas are still crying about this?

Good lord this is embarrassing.

Steve, watching CBS news this morning and they were interviewing Bidon on the SOU speech. Last question was about this very subject. Don't think Gayle King was asking Joe Biden about it cause she reads TBD. If you think this is contained to only Bills fans, or even hard core NFL fans, just not correct.

BTW, they lead with it yesterday as well

I was with you on Monday , but this thing has done blowed up as they say

Edited by plenzmd1

So in two weeks, the Pats have dug up two different rule changes that the NFL has to address in the offseason.

All this, while arguably being the best team in football.

I don't think that Belichek does it for an advantage, he does it because he's addicted to this stuff. It's like an employee stealing money from the register on payday. There's no need for it, just want.

Ha, I am a die hard Bills fan, and hate the Pats. I don't like ANY other NFL team. I don't even like fans here showing concern for their "2nd team".

THERE IS NO 2ND TEAM!!

I was one of the few that argued the non-call on Gronkowski against the Panthers was the RIGHT call. And took all kinds of abuse. I loathe them!

But to see petty whining from Bills fans, about a superior team (nay, superior ORGANIZATION) nauseates me.

You were arguing that Gronk tossing Brown aside wasn't PI?

You're not a Bills fan, you're blind.

Note that all 11 illegal balls were not only under inflated substantially, but apparently by the same amount.

They were obviously uniformly doctored to Tom Brady's liking. Some years ago he said as much in a WEEI Boston radio interview...that he likes the ball when it is under inflated by Gronk spiking the thing hard after a TD.

The possibility for "mistake" here is close to zero.

For the "it's only the air pressure of a football, get over it!" crowd...

If Bill. B. and the Patriots as an organization will do the Spygate stuff and doctor footballs, what else will they do?

Once you are established to be a cheater who looks for any and all competitive advantage to win, including illegal advantages, it must be assumed you are trying to cheat every way you can, all the time.

I still say the best way to cheat is the stuff about talking to Brady up to the snap of the ball and during plays.

I am dying for a NE opponent to petition to the league to be allowed to have their wireless communications guys "inspect" the NE equipment and Brady's helmet some game, like 1 hour before kickoff, preferably when NE is on the road and it might be hard for them to mess around with fake substitute legal equipment as a result...

I have to assume someone is talking into Brady's helmet illegally (and maybe other players as well) on every play.

Edited by Stopthepain