New England Patriots caught deflating game balls

FireChan

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they find it true, they should take the win away from the Pats immediately and send Indy to the SB

It should happen that way, but probably won't. I say press sanctions against the franchise so they are ineligible to participate in the NFL draft for the next 3-5 seasons. Suspend Belichick for the next 2 seasons.

That would be some discipline!

Agree. Now if I wanted to use footballs inflated to under the 12.5PSI minimum, I'd simply inflate them pre-game to 12.5PSI indoors in a nice warm 75 degree room and when they sat outside for an hour or so in the 30 degree outdoor temps, I'd have a nice 10 PSI or so inflated ball and I haven't broken any rule.

You know this for a fact or just talking out of your ass? Always amazes me how many scientists and lawyers we have on this board. The league also inspected the Colts' footballs, which also sat outside for the same amount of time, and all were within parameters. Yet 11 of 12 Patriot footballs were "significantly underinflated."

Wayne, I was one on Monday morning said "much ado about nothing" , but am starting to change my mind.

And your right, it should not matter that the game was close or not close, or that the infraction was "minor". It is a clear intent to skirt the rules. And if this 11 of 12 is proved to be correct, it is a clear indication intentional.

In terms of penalty, I really am not that concerned. This just sucks for their fans. I don't care what any of them say, they know deep down now that maybe this whole run was based on cheating. Every time they stick their chest out say how great that team is, every other fan will just say all based in cheating, and deep down the Pats fan will now know that is correct.

No penalty they can inflict on the team or Belicheck can be worse than that.....Belicheck or Brady has now ruined every Pats fan enjoyment, and he has permanently tarnished his reputation the last two weeks....again if this found to be true.

I have Very good friends who are Pats fans, and I actually will feel sorry for them if this is true.

Edit. Just got first text from a Pats fan, he is really pissed about this. He is stuck between a rock and hard place now....he is a die hard Pats fan...this is worse for him than any loss of draft picks etc

Excellent thoughts, Paul. While we've all hated watching the Pats* dominate for the past 15 years, the tarnish all of this puts on that run provides a measure of redemption for us, and is demoralizing to them.

I'm proud of the fact I have never removed the asterisk from Pats* on this forum since the day the Spygate scandal was confirmed. It's 100% appropriate.

Their cheating ways are all the more shameful because they have one of the best QBs and best head coaches to ever exist in the league -- and it probably wasn't necessary.

You know this for a fact or just talking out of your ass? Always amazes me how many scientists and lawyers we have on this board. The league also inspected the Colts' footballs, which also sat outside for the same amount of time, and all were within parameters. Yet 11 of 12 Patriot footballs were "significantly underinflated."

You didn't pay attention in like 11th grade chemistry, huh?

Have a look into the Gas Laws, Charles' Law, Boyle's Law...and for Christ's sake. Do some reading. Then report back.

Edited by Stopthepain

Note that all 11 illegal balls were not only under inflated substantially, but apparently by the same amount.

They were obviously uniformly doctored to Tom Brady's liking. Some years ago he said as much in a WEEI Boston radio interview...that he likes the ball when it is under inflated by Gronk spiking the thing hard after a TD.

The possibility for "mistake" here is close to zero.

For the "it's only the air pressure of a football, get over it!" crowd...

If Bill. B. and the Patriots as an organization will do the Spygate stuff and doctor footballs, what else will they do?

Once you are established to be a cheater who looks for any and all competitive advantage to win, including illegal advantages, it must be assumed you are trying to cheat every way you can, all the time.

I still say the best way to cheat is the stuff about talking to Brady up to the snap of the ball and during plays.

I am dying for a NE opponent to petition to the league to be allowed to have their wireless communications guys "inspect" the NE equipment and Brady's helmet some game, like 1 hour before kickoff, preferably when NE is on the road and it might be hard for them to mess around with fake substitute legal equipment as a result...

I have to assume someone is talking into Brady's helmet illegally (and maybe other players as well) on every play.

Their whole 14 year "dynasty" is now and forever officially stamped with the cheater tag. The video taping practices and deflated balls is just what they got caught doing. There has never been a franchise that has been this good for this long in the modern NFL and there was always something fishy about how they always got the right bounce and they always seemed a few steps ahead of their competition.

The NFL has a WWE problem now. No one believes that games are being played fair. No one believes that the fix isn't in, that there isn't a script. The NFL's most prestigious looked at franchise in the last 20 years was cheating the whole time.

I remember that when they were caught the first time I said that Belichick should have been suspended the entire year. Goodall didn't do that and his chickens are coming home to roost big time. The Patriots won a Superbowl (s?) because they knew the Rams plays. How in the world does that not deserve a suspension for an entire year?

The NFL is in serious trouble as far as their credibility and the only way to rectify it is to throw Belichick out of the league forever. Also, the Pats organization should lose all of their draft picks in this coming draft and their next years #1 pick.

Edited by 1billsfan

@CharlesRobinson: Equip manager from top-25 college program reveals how he engaged in illegal football-deflating "every game day". Q&A: http://t.co/vOvrxyrVwc

Thanks for posting this Yolo. Very interesting article.

Are people reading the linked article here!? You should.

It is saying that it is the culture of college football to under-inflate and manipulate balls every game...everyone does it...and that this is commonplace.

Not clear if this extends to the NFL and it's not a valid defense for NE...

But if there is an unspoken culture around the NFL that everyone does this and everyone knows about this, don't expect much in the way of huge disciplinary action against the Patriots.

This may have been mentioned earlier (I haven't read the 30 pages in the topic) but why do the teams each use their own balls?

Wouldn't it be more fair if each team used the same football set to the same NFL standards? Using two sets of balls allows for discrepancies and a lack of fairness.

Anyone know why?

I assume it's so the home team can't just use their own balls. But why not have the NFL send in 24 balls made to their standard. Then each team shares them.

Their entire legacy is tainted in the minds of millions. Doesn't matter what the punishment is, and I hope its brutally severe, every accomplishment of theirs in the BB/TB era is questionable and suspicious.

On it's own, this violation of the rules is not the worst kind, BUT post Spygate....sorry you don't ever get the benefit of the doubt.

The arrogant, pompous, miserable douche bag will forever be "Bellicheat".

There's no going back.

just a quick browse on comments on espn articles and such... this 11 of 12 by 2lbs news has really changed the mood a great deal. No, it isnt only "Bills fans have an inferiority complex and are whining". There are actually a lot of Pats fans I see speaking out in disgust and embarrassment.

The NFL (even though I cant see them come down hard) has got to be pissed.

This may have been mentioned earlier (I haven't read the 30 pages in the topic) but why do the teams each use their own balls?

Wouldn't it be more fair if each team used the same football set to the same NFL standards? Using two sets of balls allows for discrepancies and a lack of fairness.

Anyone know why?

I assume it's so the home team can't just use their own balls. But why not have the NFL send in 24 balls made to their standard. Then each team shares them.

First, all the balls are proper NFL balls made to official specs.

But yes, it does seem crazy that everyone is not using the same ball that has been carefully monitored by the NFL. Heck, all the balls in circulation during the game should be CONSTANTLY monitored for proper air pressure as the ball get beaten up and climatic conditions change during a game. Why not?

PERHAPS the reason why teams have been allowed to use their own balls, historically, is b/c even with a standard ball and a controlled PSI, different balls still have a different "Feel" in terms of grain pattern in the leather and what not. One QB might say "I prefer this" for some abstract reason and the other guy says "I want the other one" so they allow them to get their pick of the lot.

Maybe that should be eliminated going forward. I hope it is!

Someone may have already said this up-thread, but wouldn't it be harder for a defense to cause fumbles if the O is carrying a softer ball, also?

Yes.

It was commented that a football which is easier to grip is better for everyone who touches the ball....quarterback gripping to throw, receiver catching, and ball carrier running with ball...better grip...fewer fumbles.

I agree, and good analogy, but to me it's a "too much pine tar" AFTER already convicted for Goalie Pads too wide, Hockey Stick too Curved, AND a corked bat transgression.

remind me the 3 other convictions they had?

im still not sure where i drop this one in the spectrum. probably somewhere around those types of violations. that aaron rodgers joked openly about over-inflating with a TV personality and no one seemed to get up in arms about it makes me lean towards it being a little lower on the spectrum, but similar.