New England Patriots caught deflating game balls

FireChan

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

repeatedly bending and breaking the rules for over a decade. Sorry but if the NFL truly wants to make a point that it stands on integrity they need swift action.

Say Bellyache is innocent. Then the blame goes to Brady because there is no way the ball boy would treat his balls in a way that Prima donna Tom wouldn't like. Suspend him for the next game.

Johnny Football was much better

I'm down with suspending Brady. I want to see Garrapolo play in a meaningful game!

Suspend him for the next game.

even if the nfl decided to speed everything up and act incredibly quick, i imagine that both the player and the union would fight this one pretty hard - including appeal, and id bet theyd probably take it to the point of courts stepping in if they could with it being the super bowl. its a lot of ducks to get in a row in a short window to fully investigate, and hand down a huge punishment like that and fully defend.

Someone posted a link here yesterday (I think) showing the Today Show (?).

They took a regulation football and deflated it by 2PSI....and someone squeezed the ball.

The amount of deflection was HUGE to my eye and kind of impressive. I mean it really looked "soggy"...

This is a forum of football fans! Does someone around here not have a regulation NFL football lying around? Couldn't they do a PSI experiment and report the findings?

So very unscientific, but on ESPN this morning saw a bit with Jerrome Bettis, Mark Brunell, and TRey Wingo as host.

They had three balls, one 11 psi, one 13 PSI, one 15PSI but Brennel and Bettis did not know which was which ( or close to those #s)

Had Brunell throw to Bettis and identify the balls...both nailed it easily.

Brunell said he could throw the 11PSI ten yards farther, Bettis said the 11 PSI huge advantage in run game as it would be harder to fumble.

Not sure if that helps

Edited by plenzmd1

Those game day footballs are pretty hard. I've passed and caught one before just goofing around. BB says the only thing he knows is they keep their balls on the bottom limit. That's 12.5. The balls they confiscated were 2-3 pounds less than legal. That's 10-20% below. Some articles were saying they were 16% less. That would be significant. Again, the ONE time the Colts touched it they knew. And the TWO times they touched it the last time they knew. It had to be fairly obvious. This whole thing is getting curiouser and curiouser.

Brady is about to get pummeled. And as we all know, he takes being hit really well.

If a ball is on the lower allowed limit of 12.5, and it loses 2 PSI, that's a 16% deflation...that's where that number came from that you mentioned.

If a 12.5 PSI ball lost 3 PSI (apparently some did as you say) that would be 24%, which is obviously nearly a quarter of total pressure in the ball! That's a TON! I mean that is so low, you would think the advantage gained would be right on the limit of becoming a disadvantage!

the consensus of the haters is anyone is better than EJ

Put no limits on our "hate" my friend!

I have a full sized cardboard cutout of Jim Kelly in my garage. I think it would be more effective than EJ at moving the Bills' offense down the field!

:w00t::w00t::nana::nana::lol::devil::ph34r:

So very unscientific, but on ESPN this morning saw a bit with Jerrome Bettis, Mark Brunell, and TRey Wingo as host.

They had three balls, one 11 psi, one 13 PSI, one 15PSI but Brennel and Bettis did not know which was which ( or close to those #s)

Brunell said he could throw the 11PSI ten yards farther, Bettis said the 11 PSI huge advantage in run game as it would be harder to fumble.

Not sure if that helps

it would be strange if they couldnt put 3 different inflations in order - id be more impressed if they gave them a stack and had them sort legal vs illegal and see where the fringe falls that youd expect a player to identify in a game.

im also still curious to see brunell toss 2 of them and see if the 10 yard claim was real.

If a ball is on the lower allowed limit of 12.5, and it loses 2 PSI, that's a 16% deflation...that's where that number came from that you mentioned.

If a 12.5 PSI ball lost 3 PSI (apparently some did as you say) that would be 24%, which is obviously nearly a quarter of total pressure in the ball! That's a TON! I mean that is so low, you would think the advantage gained would be right on the limit of becoming a disadvantage!

I believe it was Gerry Austin, the former ref, and who is very close to the situation and reporting on it, that said they were 2-3 pounds less. Maybe he said one of them was three pounds less. We don't know what the starting point though. Was it 2 pounds less than legal? The 12.5? Two pounds less than average, 13.0? Or (hard to believe) two pounds less than top 13.5?

The easiest to believe of course is 2 pounds less than legal, or the lowest, which as you said is the 16%. That's substantial.

Not sure if that helps

Hey, it's "the poster" again! :nana:

Sorry for not knowing your user name up-thread, friend!

So ... what did people think of Jimmy Garrapalo's performance against the Bills in week 17?

No way this happens.

The NFL has to be sooooooo angry at the Pats behind closed doors right now. They just have to be. They have put the entire league in a horrible light and no matter what happens in the Super Bowl, there will always be a shadow. There is nothing they can do at this point yet doing nothing will make them look bad....and anything they do will make them look bad....and talking about it honestly in public will make them look bad and clamming up will make them look bad.......the behind the scenes conversations have to be incredible.

In two weeks time, there is no way the headline can change from deflating to run of the mill Wilson vs. Brady or Seattle D vs. NE offense......it just can't.

A guy like Pegula....who just put $1.4B into an investment......other owners like Jones who spent $$$$$$$ on a stadium.....this Mickey Mouse crap messing with the entire reputation of the league.....by a schlep who dresses like he is homeless......

Watch some no name equipment guy take the fall for this and free BB and the Pats of any wrong doing

I can see BB saying he knew nothing about it and letting some poor guy take the wrap

CBF

It's too far gone for that. If the NFL tries it, more than just the Patriots me will be mud.

it would be strange if they couldnt put 3 different inflations in order - id be more impressed if they gave them a stack and had them sort legal vs illegal and see where the fringe falls that youd expect a player to identify in a game.

im also still curious to see brunell toss 2 of them and see if the 10 yard claim was real.

I htink they were saying that a lot of non football players, guys like Mike Greenberg, were talking about how they had felt the different balls and could not tell the difference

But these guys could tell right away...and yes it does matter to them.

Hey, it's "the poster" again! :nana:

Sorry for not knowing your user name up-thread, friend!

Ha!

As I wrote a day or 2 ago, a curved stick in hockey only benefits the player with the stick, when he is actually taking a shift on the ice.

The NE balls benefited every player on the team who touched the ball on every play, including the center.

I hear ya. I guess my main point is that QB's have been doing this type of thing for a long time. Even Boomer Esiason and others have admitted as such. Rarely do they get caught. Brady got caught and now the media is attaching this to Spygate and making the Pats looks like gigantic cheaters. They deserve all the heat. As i said, Brady should cop to this, apologize and take his punishment (or team punishment). There's no way he didn't orchestrate this.

Watch some no name equipment guy take the fall for this and free BB and the Pats of any wrong doing

I can see BB saying he knew nothing about it and letting some poor guy take the wrap

CBF

Wouldn't surprise me.

But yeah, they've done everything possible to make the practice footballs as bad as possible, but they've never talked about air pressure or football specifications. Anyone buying that?

I htink they were saying that a lot of non football players, guys like Mike Greenberg, were talking about how they had felt the different balls and could not tell the difference

But these guys could tell right away...and yes it does matter to them.

see now we have this commentary where joe blow couldnt tell the difference, and other stating theyve seen it and the balls were "saggy" on the today show.

where is sports science when i need them?!?!

I hear ya. I guess my main point is that QB's have been doing this type of thing for a long time. Even Boomer Esiason and others have admitted as such. Rarely do they get caught. Brady got caught and now the media is attaching this to Spygate and making the Pats looks like gigantic cheaters. They deserve all the heat. As i said, Brady should cop to this, apologize and take his punishment (or team punishment). There's no way he didn't orchestrate this.

I have not seen Boomer's comments specifically about this. But I have read/heard a bunch of other QBs comment.

The ones I have seen have discussed "doctoring" the ball in the sense of going through their bizarre ritual to basically improve the touch, feel, and grip of the ball. So they polish it, soak it in water and then let the water dry out, rub it down with something they like, and so on.

I haven't see anyone talk about "lowering PSI to below legal levels" as something everyone does.

In other words, there is messing with a football, but then there is MESSING with a football (air pressure) and the latter is not being reported as something everyone does.

Am I wrong on that?