New England Patriots caught deflating game balls

FireChan

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/cheat/news/story?id=2957893

They are all cheating, according to a long list of former players and coaches. Stretching the rules however they can.

This transgression normally carries a $25,000 fine ($5,000 more than grabbing your crotch, and that for a player with a history transgressions).

Normally carries a 25k fine? The only precedent they have is the NCAA (USC). I don't know if it can "normally" result in anything yet in the nfl.

Btw the rule book states a "minimum" of 25k fine for altering game balls. Not a standard fine.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was overly precise. "I never discussed air pressure with any player or staff member." When you're that precise - "air pressure" - you're often leaving yourself an out, along the lines of "Well, what I said was literally true."

Agreed, and as I said a page or two back, its kind of hard to believe that a guy who went out of his way to provide his team with footballs in poor shape for practice never discussed or considered how air pressure changes might affect handling of the ball. I don't believe that for a second.

Here I am, someone right here to direct your petty vitriol towards.

But I distinguish between my petty vitriol and my objective observations. So I got that going for me, which is nice.

Really now, was there ANY way he could have denied the allegations that you wouldn't have found fault with?

Honestly? No. Even if he'd said the most effective denial possible ("I didn't know anything about it, I don't get involved in that aspect of the game, I've got too much else to worry about on game day.") I'd still think he's lying. Hell, if he said "Hi, I'm Bill Belichick," I'd still think he's lying.

But I'd at least compliment him on his ability to state an effective denial. He'd still be a lying sack of ****...but I can respect that more than a weaselly sack of ****.

And THAT is vitriol.

Ha - Jerry Rice just said on Rome "It's cheating" when asked if it was cheating or 'gamesmanship'

Also - "If they win this Superbowl, there's going to be an asterisk" :w00t:

Edited by stevewin

If it is found that Belicheat did know about pressure changes, he could be out of a job after publicly denying any knowledge.

i think the hoodie gets fired after the super bowl no matter the outcome.

it's the only way the owner robert kraft can save face.

He was overly precise. "I never discussed air pressure with any player or staff member." When you're that precise - "air pressure" - you're often leaving yourself an out, along the lines of "Well, what I said was literally true."

The part I liked is in italics here. It REEKS of careful legal preparation.

"I could tell you that in my entire coaching career I have never talked to any player or staff member about football air pressure."

Overly precise, overly comprehensive, overly defensive, not how a football coach speaks off the cuff or even with a bit of personal, honest preparation.

It just REEKS of handling.

I'm surprised he didn't say, at some point: "No action of mine, or omission to act, can be construed to have violated..."

Only lawyers think and speak like that.

i think the hoodie gets fired after the super bowl no matter the outcome.

it's the only way the owner robert kraft can save face.

I wonder how Kraft feels about Belichick's press conference this morning. I can't imagine he'd be overly pleased with that tap-dance.

Katy Perry should do a rendition of My Cheating Heart at halftime

there is no freaking was this is true

“I had no knowledge whatsoever of this situation until Monday morning,” he said. “I’ve learned a lot more about this process in the last three days than I knew — or had talked about — in the last 40 years that I’ve coached in this league. I had no knowledge of the various steps involved in the game balls, the process that happened between when they were prepared and went to the officials and went to the game, so I’ve learned a lot about that.

40 years and you never once heard your super star QB indicate how he liked his ball treated?

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

I wonder how Kraft feels about Belichick's press conference this morning. I can't imagine he'd be overly pleased with that tap-dance.

probably similar to this exchange...

As pointed out by Tom Curran of CSNNE.com, Kraft took a dim view of coach Bill Belichick’s response when he confronted him about Spygate charges in 2007.

“How much did this help us on a scale of 1 to 100?” Kraft reportedly asked Belichick, via Gary Myers’ book Coaching Confidential.

“One,” Belichick replied.

“Then you’re a real schmuck,” Kraft replied.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/22/robert-kraft-has-called-bill-belichick-a-schmuck-for-past-sins/

I don't think the NFL should be worried about pinning this on any one person (not that I think this is all that likely a course for Goodell and his lawyers). Instead, the league should say 2 things: First, it is not possible for the balls to be that deflated absent tampering, and the only ones to be in a position to tamper were employees of the Taintriots. Logic precludes any other possibility. Second, even if we can't identify where the individual responsibility lies (ballboy, Brady, Belichick, or someone in between), we will punish the team. Because the organization has shown itself unable to police itself. And that punishment should include draft picks and a suspension for the head coach, since he is the man in charge.

Here is an interesting quote from Goodell from article on SI.com today (speaking in 2008): “Too often competitive violations have gone unpunished because conclusive proof of the violation was lacking,” Goodell wrote. “I believe we should reconsider the standard of proof to be applied in such cases, and make it easier for a competitive violation to be established.”

kj

probably similar to this exchange...

As pointed out by Tom Curran of CSNNE.com, Kraft took a dim view of coach Bill Belichick’s response when he confronted him about Spygate charges in 2007.

“How much did this help us on a scale of 1 to 100?” Kraft reportedly asked Belichick, via Gary Myers’ book Coaching Confidential.

“One,” Belichick replied.

“Then you’re a real schmuck,” Kraft replied.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/22/robert-kraft-has-called-bill-belichick-a-schmuck-for-past-sins/

Actually it was more like this:

"one"

"One percent. Omg. Just one percent???? Dammit. Only one percent??? Oh well, well done my boy. I thought it would be more than just one percent"

Katy Perry should do a rendition of My Cheating Heart at halftime

there is no freaking was this is true

“I had no knowledge whatsoever of this situation until Monday morning,” he said. “I’ve learned a lot more about this process in the last three days than I knew — or had talked about — in the last 40 years that I’ve coached in this league. I had no knowledge of the various steps involved in the game balls, the process that happened between when they were prepared and went to the officials and went to the game, so I’ve learned a lot about that.

40 years and you never once heard your super star QB indicate how he liked his ball treated?

I know a lot more about playing hockey than football, but this is like the head coach of a hockey team suggesting he didn't know every hockey player likes his own particular stick in terms of curve, treatment of the stick, tape, length, knob size (or no knob at all) type of tape applied, etc.

Anyone who has ever been involved in hockey at any level knows how this works. A head coach of an NHL team suggesting "What? Guys are particular about their sticks and play around with them constantly? I didn't know!" is absurd.

Belicheat's comments are identical.

He strikes me as the kind of guy who sits around thinking about every last aspect of the game (to his credit) and then tries to find any possible competitive advantage he can get (also to his credit).

Where he becomes a scumbag is in his willingness to cross over into illegal crap to get an edge.

I'd be surprised if he didn't lead an internal investigation into PSI levels in footballs and how they can translate into success!

LOL