New England Patriots caught deflating game balls

FireChan

You can move the boy away from Kirby St but you can't take Kirby St away from the boy.

What you're hearing is laughter, the sound of me enjoying the show as Cheatriot*** Fans blather and rage impotently over this latest controversy.

Sorry, Little Bear, but no foot stamping and no spite here, just laughter and merriment.

Spooked me a bit when I saw you wrote Kirby. My grandparents house is on Kirby-corner of Kirby and Electric in fact. But what's that got to do with the Pats?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sports science guy said that weight difference was the that of a dollar bill.

He probably has been doing this his whole Career, so I doesn't matter to me.

I'm not sure I follow. The balls were presumably deflated so that they were softer, could be gripped better. What does that have to do with a dollar bill?

Your second line I'm not sure how to comment on.

I'm not sure I follow. The balls were presumably deflated so that they were softer, could be gripped better. What does that have to do with a dollar bill?

Your second line I'm not sure how to comment on.

Exactly. I don't understand why anyone is weighing balls or even discussing ball weight, as that's a negligible variable here. It's all about grippability of the ball in cold conditions, and about reducing the chances of your players fumbling - which are huge game-altering variables BTW.

And to Barbarian's second statement, it's not about what Brady did on Sunday vs. what he did on previous Sundays, it's about one team's actions to alter game balls outside of acceptable parameters while the other team stayed within the rules, and how those actions gave the patriots an unfair and illegal competitive advantage in that game.

Assuming the facts as they've been reported are true, all that's left to decide is who can be shown to have orchestrated this, and what the NFL will do about it.

http://nypost.com/2015/01/22/john-madden-tom-brady-may-be-to-blame-for-deflated-footballs/

Madden makes a good point: it would have to be Brady who is behind this. No one would alter the pressure of the football without the say-so of the QB, who needs to be comfortable throwing the ball. It is even possible that this was arranged between Brady and the equipment guy.

Madden brings up a great point, that the balls are most likely tied to Brady..

It still amazes me that Brady gets, relatively, such a free pass when it comes to the likely systemic cheating he has been in the center of his whole career.

People who say this was minor and they would have won anyway because they were so much better couldn't be missing the point more. Perhaps they were better to begin with because of multiple other cheating we don't know about. Does anyone really believe this and Spygate are the only times they've broken the rules? If you see a drunk is he definitely not an alcoholic because you've only seen him actually drinking twice?

Take the home field advantage. The statistically implausible/impossible home record, and the fact they've lost their last 7 road games in the playoffs. With what we do know about the organizations willingness to cheat, how can you not think it is likely there is truth behind the accounts of them playing with radio frequencies to give info to Brady after the cutoff point, listen in to the other teams frequency and locker room etc etc

I am more and more convinced Brady is a creation of a system of cheating. There is a reason he was a sixth round pick. But put a QB in a situation in games where they know what the defense before the snap, are coached in their helmet right up to the snap and even after, is there any way they cannot fail? Is there any better way to learn and master the position than exactly this scenario? How many tens of otherwise mediocre QBs would become 'great' if put in this system?

People talk about banning Bellicheat, but why isn't Brady ever in that conversation? He is absolutely in the middle of it. Why is he in the conversation of greatest of all time, he should be in the conversation for most pathetic cheater of all time. I've said before, to me Brady is the Bonds of the NFL.

Edited by stevewin

The most interesting part of this Boston globe story is the statement that I this great run of the NE **ts** they have failed to win on the road. This really plays into all these discussions about some sort of Gillete stadium advantage. The story about radios frequency issues seems to not be getting any legs. All of the stats of how many years in a row they have been good, abismal road playoff record and constant rule violations supports the old if there is smoke there is fire.

My prediction is the nfl goes with the path of least resistance: they "find fault" with the testing that particular day.

Then they will be in the safe and familiar waters of "everybody does it" as it would reduce the infraction to what Aaron Rodgers outlined

Edited by May Day 10

The most interesting part of this Boston globe story is the statement that I this great run of the NE **ts** they have failed to win on the road. This really plays into all these discussions about some sort of Gillete stadium advantage. The story about radios frequency issues seems to not be getting any legs. All of the stats of how many years in a row they have been good, abismal road playoff record and constant rule violations supports the old if there is smoke there is fire.

Is it that weird that playing a better team on the road in January is harder than playing a worse team at your own home?

Belichik meets the media today at 9:30.

This shall be good.

#ontoseattle

Hines agrees

@TODAYshow: Hines Ward: If guilty in Deflate-Gate, Patriots' punishment should be 'very harsh' http://t.co/sjgTjo3Agb http://t.co/REc9qrTLZ5

Q: What do you know about the deflated balls

A: [grumble] we're on to Seattle

Q: You really had no idea of the deflated balls

A: [grumble] deflate this

Good read on how there will be a scapegoat for this like there was for Spygate. And it won't be Brady or Belichik.

@AP_NFL: Column: For the Patriots, like the Corleones, it's just business, from owner Robert Kraft on down http://t.co/h0b8BYPrEd(@jimlitke) #NFL

Who wants the balls deflated??

The QB. Suspend Brady from the SB.

Will they blame the ball boy for not doing what Tome liked? was he trying to sabotage Brady? puhlease

I like this gem:

"Belichick has already said he did not know anything about the deflated balls until he was told about them Monday. Could this possibly be true?"

Not just no but Hell No

Love this obviously biased poll on a local Boston TV station's website:

http://www.whdh.com/story/27904910/poll-do-you-think-the-patriots-intentionally-deflated-footballs#WNPoll145034

As of right now, about 71% say "NO" (they didn't intentionally deflate the balls).

Feel free to vote early and often!

Polls BWAAA HAHAHAHAHAHAHaahahah I looked at 2 polls the other day

ESPN.com poll results --- 75% Putrids winning the SB.

NFL.com poll results --- 65% Seahawks winning the SB.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever