Aaron Kromer : O Line coach

Reed83HOF

And the overreaction. Yes, you should equate this to murder.

Up next pedophilia.

Fire Chan is Cutler's mom. So take everything from that perspective and it makes sense.

People are upset with him calling out Jay Cutler? The most overrated player in the league? The qb who shoves his olinemen in the back?

If it was any other player besides Cutler, I'd care. But cutler is one of the worst teammates ever. He spoke the truth.

That is absolutely untrue and cannot be proven according to Fire Chan.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get the concern over an O-line coach. The current O-line has problems that are not related to coaching, but physical ability. They are big, clumsy, and lack power at the point of attack. It would be silly to think coaching alone will change this reality.

While talent is obviously important, you could not be more wrong.

The stuff that happened in Chicago doesn't really bother me by themselves. Ordinarily that kind of thing wouldn't be much of an issue. Coaches call out crappy players all of the time. Cutler's struggles were obvious, but Cutler himself refused (and still refuses) to take ownership. So the coach called him out, big deal? Except that...

The problem for me is that there are persistent rumors that Kromer was the guy who fingered Gregg Williams and Sean Peyton in New Orleans for the "Bounty Gate" scandal. That's what would make him a rat, if it's true. And that's the only reason that the Cutler comments give me pause - because it might be the second time he has done this in consecutive stops.

Certainly there are unwritten rules in the NFL, but everything he said about smokin Jay is true.

You learn by screwing up. If he can coach the boys on the O-line up better than the previous regime (talk about a low bar) all will be forgotten.

People are upset with him calling out Jay Cutler? The most overrated player in the league? The qb who shoves his olinemen in the back?

If it was any other player besides Cutler, I'd care. But cutler is one of the worst teammates ever. He spoke the truth.

^^^^This. ^^^^

A coaches job is to identify problems and address them. Cutler is a tool and needed to be called out. Kromer's only mistake was doing so in front of the media instead of in front of the team. He was pissed and lashed out. Just because he didn't go about it the right way doesn't mean didn't have a legitimate beef.

Of course none of us here have ever said something to the wrong person when we're pissed. :rolleyes:

The stuff that happened in Chicago doesn't really bother me by themselves. Ordinarily that kind of thing wouldn't be much of an issue. Coaches call out crappy players all of the time. Cutler's struggles were obvious, but Cutler himself refused (and still refuses) to take ownership. So the coach called him out, big deal? Except that...

The problem for me is that there are persistent rumors that Kromer was the guy who fingered Gregg Williams and Sean Peyton in New Orleans for the "Bounty Gate" scandal. That's what would make him a rat, if it's true. And that's the only reason that the Cutler comments give me pause - because it might be the second time he has done this in consecutive stops.

That's simply not true on any level from my understanding. SP named him head coach for the first 6 games when city was suspended.

It was a quality assistant that was fired and they wouldn't give references to that leaked that- he felt they blackballed him and he wanted revenge. Though the dude disappeared for stretches during the SB season with no explanation multiple times - odd he'd expect glowing references and expect to not be fired but...

Edited by NoSaint

Another thing a lot of folks are overlooking, the OL coach is the guy who will be in the ear of the OLmen harping on things like technique. He's more like a drill sergeant and doesn't really design the plays. The big difference maker in that department is going to be Greg Roman. He is the one who will be drawing up plays. Kromer is just going to make sure that that the linemen are in position and using sound blocking techniques.

^^^^This. ^^^^

A coaches job is to identify problems and address them. Cutler is a tool and needed to be called out. Kromer's only mistake was doing so in front of the media instead of in front of the team. He was pissed and lashed out. Just because he didn't go about it the right way doesn't mean didn't have a legitimate beef.

Of course none of us here have ever said something to the wrong person when we're pissed. :rolleyes:

And from my understanding it wasn't in any kind of press setting or like he sought the guy out. They had a conversation outside the stadium and he made a poorly worded comment to a guy he's known for a long time but should've known to be more careful when talking to

Another thing a lot of folks are overlooking, the OL coach is the guy who will be in the ear of the OLmen harping on things like technique. He's more like a drill sergeant and doesn't really design the plays. The big difference maker in that department is going to be Greg Roman. He is the one who will be drawing up plays. Kromer is just going to make sure that that the linemen are in position and using sound blocking techniques.

Though he was "run game coordinator" for a stretch in New Orleans and may be able to really contribute. He's also been an OC and an interim head coach

I like this hire a lot after doing a little research on him.

Bills have a couple of projects that Whaley drafted last year in CK and CR. I would like to see if Kromer can help develop these guys while getting more out of the other starters like Glenn, Wood, and Henderson.

I have to hope that Kromer/Roamn is not a 'i will play guys i like' coach like Marrone was. There is very little to explain why Marrone sat Urbik and played Pears or Williams.

As anyone knows in managing people you do not always like someone you work with, but if they do the best job you learn how to motivate and get production from them. Marrone strikes me as the guy that if he didn't like you personally for some reason he wouldn't play you.

The talent is here for the line. I really believe that. Oline is all about trust and assignments. You have to work together as a unit and trust that you know your assignment on each play and the guy next to you knows his. Coaching is a huge part at getting each player to feel comfortable on their assignments. When a player is not comfortable with his assignment is when you begin to see the fundamentals break down. As guys become less comfortable the trust less.

i really hope Kromer can rebuild this unit with the help of Roman.

I understand "trust and assignments" when it comes to pass blocking & dealing with stunts. Our rookies looked like rookies. Perhaps this can be coached or learned through experience. But, I don't know what to think about these guys being pushed back into the backfield on running plays. Hopefully, they will learn & get better.

I understand "trust and assignments" when it comes to pass blocking & dealing with stunts. Our rookies looked like rookies. Perhaps this can be coached or learned through experience. But, I don't know what to think about these guys being pushed back into the backfield on running plays. Hopefully, they will learn & get better.

Guys being pushed back with better fundamentals and technique very well may anchor better instead of being out of position and unprepared to block soundly. Will that be the case? Who knows.

And from my understanding it wasn't in any kind of press setting or like he sought the guy out. They had a conversation outside the stadium and he made a poorly worded comment to a guy he's known for a long time but should've known to be more careful when talking to

Though he was "run game coordinator" for a stretch in New Orleans and may be able to really contribute. He's also been an OC and an interim head coach

Ok, not in front of media. Right.

However, Roman will still make the biggest impact as a coach. His philosophies are why he was hired. Yes, Kromer will certainly have some input. That isn't a bad thing. Many of the recent coaching hires of the Bills have been coaches that previously were in higher positions. I am not saying Kramer is or isn't the answer. I am just seeing a lot of people jumping the gun with off the cuff remarks. So far, I think the guy has a great resume. He may be a bit like Marrone, butting heads with wrong people though. I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing. Our OLmen might need a bull headed OL coach. On the other hand, he may be exactly what they don't need. :lol:

Either way, it looks like a typical Rex Ryan hire. Boom or Bust.

They need more talent at guard. That will mean 100x more than who the OL coach is, IMO.

Can't argue with that either.

Good read on him:

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/article-1/Saints-linemen-Bears-lucky-to-have-Aaron-Kromer/1bcdbd5b-3a3d-4189-94b5-f2babae8956b

Saints players loved the guy and very openly sung his praises when he went to Chicago

What guys will notice quickly is that he's a guy that gives professionals a lot of respect," Strief said. "The way that he relates with his players and communicates with them is unlike anybody I've been around. He will bring a family atmosphere to that room that will cultivate the types of relationships that you need on an offensive line."

As one of the examples. Plus he had Bushrod follow him to Chicago

Edited by NoSaint

I think you would agree there is a physicality in the NFL that takes a moment to adjust to. This is part of what Rex was talking about in his presser. CK and CR need to get stronger and also learn where they need to be.

On the line a split second means who gets better leverage. If you hesitate because you are trying to remember who or where to block you are going to get whipped more times then win.

Good read on him:

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/article-1/Saints-linemen-Bears-lucky-to-have-Aaron-Kromer/1bcdbd5b-3a3d-4189-94b5-f2babae8956b

Saints players loved the guy and very openly sung his praises when he went to Chicago

Unfortunately i remember hearing a few singing Marrones.

I think you would agree there is a physicality in the NFL that takes a moment to adjust to. This is part of what Rex was talking about in his presser. CK and CR need to get stronger and also learn where they need to be.

On the line a split second means who gets better leverage. If you hesitate because you are trying to remember who or where to block you are going to get whipped more times then win.

Unfortunately i remember hearing a few singing Marrones.

The marrone point is fine- but we have people posting that this is two teams he ruined and it'll be hard for players to ever respect him- so I'm bringing some player quotes contrary

In this thread, posters have referred to Pettiness being a "rat." What did he supposedly do?

When things were messy in the ny media and rex was back and forth taking play calling from him, allegedly he was the guy talking to the press about what was going on behind the scenes

Rex and Roman will ground and pound till they have a franchise QB. The OL will use roadgraders for that, less complicated but a big challenge.

I agree but I'll add that Roman is supposed to be a mad scientist at designing running planes that create lanes for the backs. In other words, he doesn't necessarily need offensive linemen who can maul people.

regarding Kromer's drama in Chicago..

Kromer had to meet the media Friday, and it was sad to watch as he apologized before brushing off probing questions from an inquisitive media bunch. He was obviously instructed to keep a tight lid on his thoughts. It made him look weak and foolish, two words no one uses to describe Kromer, a widely respected coach who is now the talk of the NFL.

Fall guy, though, would fit him perfectly. I bet most folks in league circles can sympathize with him.

Lets get this straight: An assistant coach talking anonymously to a reporter isnt news. Its not particularly smart to rip your own star player to a national reporter, especially when its the incendiary Cutler, who was signed to a now-ridiculous contract by the general manager. But its not some wild and outrageous act.

Anonymous coaches and scouts, not to mention players and agents, are how this leagues media, not to mention all of major college and professional sports media, get stories. Youre either naive or a media hypocrite if this offends you.

As Cutler said, the shock wasnt that Kromer talked out of turn, it was that he apologized.

I think we were all a little bit surprised, he said. I think not so much that it happened, but that he stepped in front of us and apologized; he was owning up to it. Because like I said, everyone has made mistakes and said things in the media and said things to other players in passing that we regret, but not many of us step up in front of everybody and apologize and own it the way he did. I think we left that meeting in a better place than we started.

~ taken from http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/tag/_/name/aaron-kromer

but more importantly, here's a link to what Kromer was doing in NO. we're gonna need work getting our linemen to second level defenders but i think his, and Roman's creativity will combine to create Billsynergy!

yeah, i know.. that was a stretch.. :blush:

http://www.windycitygridiron.com/2013/3/21/4092368/chicago-bears-playbook-aaron-kromer-run-offense

Roman and kromer were two I wanted marrone to target - I think they will be a fun pair. Not a promise for success but a very smart hard working pair that can get it done up front

Roman and kromer were two I wanted marrone to target - I think they will be a fun pair. Not a promise for success but a very smart hard working pair that can get it done up front

That's more brainpower and success combined on the offensive side of the ball than this franchise has had in a long time...think Rex has learned a thing or two?

It must be nice for everyone on this board to be so god damn perfect

Let me tell you something point blank I respect someone that made a mistake and then had the cohones to actually step up and admit it then all the people out there that are just as imperfect that deflect or hide their mistakes....

It shows charactor

I wanted Roman as well. I think Ryan and Roman have the potential to give this team a real identity - one much like the Ravens and Steelers have been known for through the years: Tough, physical, and aggressive on both sides of the ball. As far as OL coach, I wasn't sure who Roman would bring; however, I like what Kromer did in NO and in Chicago in 2013 (when he was the OL coach as well as OC). More than that, I am a big fan of Roman and what he wants to do, and Kromer is his pick for his OL coach. That is good enough for me.

As far as what Kromer did in Chicago? He made a mistake and owned up to it. All indications are that he has been highly respected by his players through the years. I judge him on his body of work, not by one mistake.

Hopefully it all translates into success on the field this year. That is the only thing that will matter in the end.

regarding Kromer's drama in Chicago..

Kromer had to meet the media Friday, and it was sad to watch as he apologized before brushing off probing questions from an inquisitive media bunch. He was obviously instructed to keep a tight lid on his thoughts. It made him look weak and foolish, two words no one uses to describe Kromer, a widely respected coach who is now the talk of the NFL.

Fall guy, though, would fit him perfectly. I bet most folks in league circles can sympathize with him.

Let’s get this straight: An assistant coach talking anonymously to a reporter isn’t news. It’s not particularly smart to rip your own star player to a national reporter, especially when it’s the incendiary Cutler, who was signed to a now-ridiculous contract by the general manager. But it’s not some wild and outrageous act.

Anonymous coaches and scouts, not to mention players and agents, are how this league’s media, not to mention all of major college and professional sports’ media, get stories. You’re either naive or a media hypocrite if this offends you.

As Cutler said, the shock wasn’t that Kromer talked out of turn, it was that he apologized.

“I think we were all a little bit surprised,” he said. “I think not so much that it happened, but that he stepped in front of us and apologized; he was owning up to it. Because like I said, everyone has made mistakes and said things in the media and said things to other players in passing that we regret, but not many of us step up in front of everybody and apologize and own it the way he did. I think we left that meeting in a better place than we started.”

~ taken from http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/tag/_/name/aaron-kromer

but more importantly, here's a link to what Kromer was doing in NO. we're gonna need work getting our linemen to second level defenders but i think his, and Roman's creativity will combine to create Billsynergy!

yeah, i know.. that was a stretch.. :blush:

http://www.windycitygridiron.com/2013/3/21/4092368/chicago-bears-playbook-aaron-kromer-run-offense

please edit this down, way to much copy/paste

Let me tell you something point blank I respect someone that made a mistake and then had the cohones to actually step up and admit it then all the people out there that are just as imperfect that deflect or hide their mistakes....

It shows charactor

Well said.

It shows charactor

First of all, accountability doesn't end with an apology.

Character is everyday and this just happened a few months ago so it's not like people are noting something that is miles in the past.

We discuss issues/concerns here. It's a fan message board. Don't get yourself so exercised.

Rex Ryan? Hmmmmmmm

sorry, i don't understand your response..

oh.. :doh: nevermind - didn't see your actual message.. done ..

but i'm curious.. isn't including the links in your request for me to - remove the links - counter-productive? guess i don't get the technology..

Edited by BackInDaDay

sorry, i don't understand your response..

oh.. :doh: nevermind - didn't see your actual message.. done ..

but i'm curious.. isn't including the links in your request for me to - remove the links - counter-productive? guess i don't get the technology..

Beerball would like you to edit it down for copyright reasons. One is only allowed to post excerpts from an article. I'm sure he would have deleted his post after you did so.

To edit your post.....just click on the "edit" button under your original post, and off you go.

Edited by Dibs

Beerball would like you to edit it down for copyright reasons. One is only allowed to post excerpts from an article. I'm sure he would have deleted his post after you did so.

To edit your post.....just click on the "edit" button under your original post, and off you go.

i deleted the links.. the red text is an excerpt..

Edited by BackInDaDay

lol....no.

You can link to an article, but for copyright reasons you can only quote a small amount from the article. Your links were fine.....you needed to reduce the amount you copied down to a couple of paragraphs.

Edited by Dibs

lol....no.

You can link to an article, but for copyright reasons you can only quote a small amount from the article. Your links were fine.....you needed to reduce the amount you copied down to a couple of paragraphs.

Yes...the links are good/encouraged/necessary. The problem was all of the red text, way too much.

Yes...the links are good/encouraged/necessary. The problem was all of the red text, way too much.

Think of it this way back -- espn pays writers to generate traffic and when you copy the whole article they don't get clicks. Tbd supports these sites by limiting content here and encouraging readers to go to the source for full articles