Reactions you hear at work (for those not in WNY)

stevestojan

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here in Seattle everyone has their head up Pete Carroll's ...

Similar to Patsies fans, they think football was invented in 2012.

Anyway, I have heard nothing except for my wife and daughter and they love it. My daughter doesn't like getting rid of Schwartz though.

I don't think QB will be as much of a problem for us as many here and all over America do.

I live in New York City and know many Jets fans...the majority were sorry to see Rex go (blame FO/lack of talent held him back), think we got a great coach, but one who will be hampered

by the same thing as in NY...no QB. They all say we'll love him as coach though. And most of the Jets fans that I've talked to are not thrilled with the Bowles selection for the same

reason some Bills fans weren't happy initially with the Rex pick. That they hired a defensive HC when the problem was with the offense.

The Miami fans I know just seem perplexed...like Rex being on the Bills rather than the Jets just doesn't compute.

Have a lot of Steelers fans in my office who were mixed between either "that seems like a weird fit" to "great hire"

Three NFL fans in my office:

My boss is a Bears fan and anyone that reminds him of the Ditka / Buddy Ryan Bears glory days is good by him. He thinks it is a good hire.

A Browns fan who I work with said he was "quite jealous"...

And a Cowboys fan said "just what you needed.... the perfect Quarterback whisperer..." but then humour never has been his strong point.

For what it's worth, George R R Martin (of Game of Thrones fame) is a big Jets fan. He seemed to think Rex is a good coach who got shafted by the GM and was sorry to see him go, especially to a division foe. But he also isn't too worried because he knows he's in a similar situation without a QB and won't go anywhere without one.

I read that. Just wanted to let you know... In almost 12 years of living in Utah, I've met 11 strong Bills fans right here in Utah County. Not fair weathered. The Utah chapter for Bills Backers needs to be updated. The bars listed have been closed for years. :( Edited by KollegeStudnet

Funny after the announcement I had to travel to the home office in Boston for some mgmt meetings as I live in Tampa. They've razzed me for Rex, but these are sales guys so I expect it. Of course I reminded them the Pats were our whipping boys for 14 years.

One of our marketing guys actually stated though the NFL is better with Sexy Rexxy in the AFC East.

For me, I like him, think his conferences are funny and the Bills will probably get even better on defense once he gets moving, and hopefully Roman can create that ground and pound offensive style to work.

So I know the feelings of those in Buffalo. Mainly positive, some hate.

But what I find interesting is here where I live (Virginia Beach) I have yet to hear ANY negative. People who know I'm a bills fan.

"You guys will be relevant again."

"What an upgrade."

"We have no chance anymore" (Jets fan who works for me)

The list goes on. So, outside of the rose colored, or **** colored, glasses, what do the rest of you transplants find the reaction is "around the league."

I live in the D.C. area. There are obviously 10s of thousands of transplants here from the good ole mass WNY exodus of the 70s/80's and 90"s, but if you talk to others (DC is a city of in migration) , Buffalo, the Bills are completely irrelevant. The franchise is simply no longer in the NFL conversation, and of course the city is completely off the map (other than Buffalo=snow-in-June, that kind of stuff) . Just sayin'. Been here 30 years and its been the same. Thanks a lot Jimmy Griffin. Good job.

I work in Greenwich, CT with mostly Giants, Jets and Pats fans. Some of the Jets fans hated Ryan and only laugh about the Bills' hire; others are nervous that he was not the Jets' biggest problem and will do well in Buffalo. The most arrogant ones are Giants and Pats fansand they mostly snicker. (Sigh) I really need to move back to Elmira...

In New Jersey in Jets/Giants territory.

In general nobody knew the details and rationale behind Marrone leaving. They just knew the guy opted out and assumed it was a bad situation.

Nothing much out of Giants fans, they've got their own problems this season. Only one Giant fan said anything. 'Great hire (laugh, laugh) to which I said you won't be laughing when the Bills kick the Giants asses up and down the field next season.

Jets fans... I know some that have season tickets and actually follow the league and know whats going on with other teams. They haven't said much of anything, non-commital, they seemed stunned. They know the contention between Izick and Ryan was a major contributor to the teams dysfunction. Many blame owner Woody Johnson for putting that in place. And over time I've found that Jets fans carry a sense of impending doom which is much greater than any thoughts of negative expectations Bills fans might carry. Which to some might appear to be impossible. Most are afraid to express a view one way or another out of fear that if they say its a good hire the Bills might be better and if they say Ryan sucked then the Bills might play better. Karma tells them.. keep their mouth shut and pray.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

I read that. Just wanted to let you know... In almost 12 years of living in Utah, I've met 11 strong Bills fans right here in Utah County. Not fair weathered. The Utah chapter for Bills Backers needs to be updated. The bars listed have been closed for years. :(

I've never been able to hook up with a Bills Backers group here, not sure where they've been. I heard of one near Park City, but that's not exactly convenient. Is there one in the Salt Lake area these days?