New $700 Million Buffalo Bills Stadium May Soon Be Built

HOUSE

20110820_SEAHAWKS_MINN_1060.jpg?__SQUARE

I'm on the Century-Link bandwagon as well. There's ample area protected from the elements, plus the die-hard drinkers can still party in the endzone and get the full brunt of the snow. Would look spectacular and the acoustics are the cherry on top!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not believe that the Sabres cancelled any of their games during or in the aftermath of the storm. I just went on their website, which appears to confirm this. Am I missing something?

My view is that, if anyone (the Pegulas, the county, the state, or a combination of them) ever builds a new stadium, it makes little sense to spend that kind of money without at least a retractable roof given the weather and what I think that such a stadium could mean to the continued renaissance of Buffalo. Also, as I mentioned before, and which you did not address, the Bills have a hard enough time selling out in December (even when we were good, very good).

The stadium used to seat 80,000. The games you refer to when they were very good not selling out had upwards of 75,000 people. The new stadium will probably be 65-67,000. Sell outs won't be much of an issue at that number. Unless the team is straight horrible. I'm not one for a roof, but if they have to have one it must be open when the weather isn't bad. And it has to have a lot of glass for natural light sources.

Edited by purple haze

If the Pegulas want to start with a stadium whenever they want to, I truly doubt the lease will have anything to do with it. Erie County will simply rip it up, because the Pegulas could threaten to move it out of Erie or worse, threaten not to put in nearly as much of their own money. Erie County will do whatever they say, especially if Delaware North throws in a few hundred million. Plus the words from Cuomo and Shumer about there is a question of whether there is a need for a stadium will likely not apply either. They were ONLY talking about money they didn't want the state to pony up for. They think a stadium for the Bills downtown is the greatest idea in the world if they only have to pay 100-200m for it.

They likely will begin soon, talking about it, and locating a site and taking their time and doing it right and listening to a lot of people and getting a few designs and bids and in 6-7 years we will have a brand spanking new stadium downtown with a dome or retractable roof that will blow you away and we can't believe its Buffalo.

Jets "at" Bills November 24

Jets at Sabres November 26

Do you think I'm stupid? I live here. I was in the middle of the whole thing and I have season tickets for both teams (I don't go to all the Sabres games).

The thing got started on the night of Nov 17 into the 18th. . The Sharks were already in town so they played in front of friends and family at the arena. The Friday game was impossible to play, just like the Bills game was.

The snow finally stopped by Saturday the 22nd. It rained that day and much melted so the Winn Jets game on 11/26 was no problem. We were back on our feet really by Monday the 24th.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/11909570/buffalo-sabres-home-game-new-york-rangers-postponed-snowstorm

Do you think I'm stupid? I live here. I was in the middle of the whole thing and I have season tickets for both teams (I don't go to all the Sabres games).

The thing got started on the night of Nov 17 into the 18th. . The Sharks were already in town so they played in front of friends and family at the arena. The Friday game was impossible to play, just like the Bills game was.

The snow finally stopped by Saturday the 22nd. It rained that day and much melted so the Winn Jets game on 11/26 was no problem. We were back on our feet really by Monday the 24th.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/11909570/buffalo-sabres-home-game-new-york-rangers-postponed-snowstorm

Not stupid, just disagreeable.

The point was just two days after the Bills played their "home" game in Detroit, the Sabres played at home. Simple as that.

Clearly, roads present issues if people cannot drive. In my view, so does whether the venue is outdoors. How many tons of snow were the Bills expecting spur of the moment snow shovelers to shovel? An arena, domed stadium, or stadium with a retractable roof do not have any of those issues. They also are able to compete better with the trend of people just staying home.

Just my two cents on how I would spend millions of dollars to build a stadium.

The stadium used to seat 80,000. The games you refer to when they were very good not selling out had upwards of 75,000 people. The new stadium will probably be 65-67,000. Sell outs won't be much of an issue at that number. Unless the team is straight horrible. I'm not one for a roof, but if they have to have one it must be open when the weather isn't bad. And it has to have a lot of glass for natural light sources.

I am all for a retractable roof and natural light. That is why Lucas Oil Field is so appealing. When these issues previously were discussed many months ago, someone also posted a photo of a rugby stadium in NZ or Australia that was very appealing with all of the natural light.

If it were up to me and if there is a retractable roof, the roof would be open for football unless it were below a certain temperature (say 30 degrees +/-) or it was raining or the wind had gusts of over a certain MPH.

There is a way to accommodate most everyone's interests. I certainly would not want to be in an antiseptic dome stadium without any character (e.g., Rogers, the one in St. Pete), I would rather have the Ralph. But, if someone is going to spend the money and time building a stadium, I think that it should be downtown, have a retractable roof, and have lots of character and light.

For those of you that have a romantic notion about sitting out in the driving rain or getting frost bite, that is where you lose me. I can do that at the Ralph without someone spending $700m +.

I really would like to see something built that would be significant architecturally and otherwise - not just in Buffalo, but around the world. I really see this as an opportunity to advance the Buffalo renaissance while building a new home for the Bills. If it is going to be just another cookie cutter stadium (outdoor or otherwise), why spend the money.

Not stupid, just disagreeable.

The point was just two days after the Bills played their "home" game in Detroit, the Sabres played at home. Simple as that.

Clearly, roads present issues if people cannot drive. In my view, so does whether the venue is outdoors. How many tons of snow were the Bills expecting spur of the moment snow shovelers to shovel? An arena, domed stadium, or stadium with a retractable roof do not have any of those issues. They also are able to compete better with the trend of people just staying home.

Just my two cents on how I would spend millions of dollars to build a stadium.

I can see how if you didn't live through it, you would think the game would be doable. IT WAS NOT. It was an insane situation. I have been to the coldest games in Bills history. Every one of them. The two back to back 12/26/93 and then the Raiders in the playoffs. They were insanely cold.

I could not have and wouldn't have even thought to go to a game this time. Not because of it being outside. Because nobody could go anywhere.

If you were here for the Blizzard of 77, it was like that. 4 Braves games and 2 Sabres games were postponed during that. Indoors.

I don't see how letting you know you have the wrong week is being disagreeable. It's just the facts.

I don't personally know any true WNYers that would skip a Bills game because of weather. I know I wouldn't. I've worked outside jobs most of my life so staying home because it's cold and snowy/rainy is a lame excuse. That's just my opinion, but like I said, I don't know anyone that wouldn't attend a home game because of weather. GB has a waiting list for season tickets and sells out every home game. Guess they have more loyal fans than Buffalo. And it gets a hell of a lot colder there.

That's kind of the point. The numbers say that they have a hard time selling tickets in December. It is a fact that and has been for decades. So there is a segment that isn't going specifically because of weather.

In addition the new stadium isn't about attracting the same "true WNYers" that attend every game anyways. They are trying to add another segment of people. They want to attract a higher end client that will pay the increased prices. In order to do that you need to increase their experience (not the shirtless guy with his face painted). You are trying to attract as many clients as you can that will pay $200-$250 a ticket (or whatever). In order to do that you have to eliminate as many excuses as you can as to why they don't currently attend. Currently weather and available locations are the chief reasons that you don't have a higher % of that segment.

The biggest misconception is that the new stadium will be about an increased fan experience. It will provide an increased fan experience but the stadium will be built BECAUSE of revenue generation. There will be more avenues for people to spend their money (and increased money at that). This isn't about the die hards; it's about the dollars.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Let me just say that there is zero chance whatsoever that a stadium could be designed, put through the environmental review process, and constructed by fall 2017. So many things would have had happened by now that it would have been public, most likely land assembly via acquisition. The local media would have picked up on those transactions and it would have been know. Levi Stadium construction started in April 2012 and it was open in time for 2014. That would mean construction would start this April to be open in 2017. The environmental review process will take months and if someone decides to be a pain in the backside, like any of the single-issue local obstructionist groups like we tend to see when major projects are announced (New Millennium Group or preservationists or Joel Giambra), and sue or be overly cumbersome, it'll take more than a year.

So beside the fact this story looks to be written ba 10 year old and from a website apparently 10 people read, administratively, it's an impossibility. And if there is a new stadium in the works, I have a very good feeling I'll hear about it!!!

I would love, love love for Buffalo to get an MLB team. Would require a multi-purpose retractable facility IMO. Also highly doubtful as long as the MLB caters to the big markets and the MLBPA. But man, talk about getting a ton of people downtown 80+ nights a Summer?

As far as the Bills stadium, I would be fine if they just took Seattle's taco/burrito design and transplanted it here. Would be comfortable enough from the elements, yet outdoors. I really do not know what events an enclosed stadium would attract that an outdoor stadium will not. Best case is Pegula and Jacobs privately fund an outdoor stadium, ask the public for infastructure downtown, and with that, the public along with maybe a private developer builds a really nice convention center.

Im just bitter we have the First Niagara Center and no basketball team!!!! That would make 3 facilities that are only used... SOMETIMES.

Do you think we would support a baseball team

Pretty easily if you've ever been to a game in a domed stadium. The Edward Jones Dome is the worst game experience I've ever had anywhere. That place is like death.

Have you ever been to a BFLO home dome game? Probably not, I think they only played one in their history... And it wasn't even their home!

It's because you are judging a dome game from another team's fanbase and POV. St.Louis has got to have the sleepiest fanbase of anywhere... Especially the Rams. A BUFFALO home dome game would be simply electric no matter what kind of dome was built. Case in point, the Detroit game this year. If that is any indication how a Buffalo home dome game would be... I am totally pro-dome. Simply electric, there was no cold to sap the energy out of the fans.

It's all about who's fans the dome belongs to. To judge it any other way is simply idiotic!

If they build with a roof, I can't blame them.

I would prefer a centurylink. Best of all worlds. I feel an indoor stadium sucks a lot of character out of teams. Last weekends games were all outdoors and in cold weather cities. I thought and always think that is a preferable backdrop as opposed to sterile dark and miscellaneous games you see in indy, dallas, detroit, etc.

In a centurylink, fan experience will certainly be increased as will pricing. People have to remember though, our market doesn't allow for the typical widespread high end pricing. There will be suites and clubs for the top class indoor or out.

Comparing December games in the early 90s to today is silly. Especially taking into account a centurylink type field will be a little smaller, somewhat protected with a roof, and in a much more accessible location than orchard park.

90s the stadium was huge. No Internet resale options or purchasing... or electronic tickets. The team was coming off of seasons where 20k fans was common. Nfl overall is much more popular now... and also we now have about 25% of fans coming from ontario and rochester that didn't exist in the 90s. Also take into account that opposing fans are much better traveled today.

Look at the 93 sabres. Most exciting team in their history and they couldn't sell out the aud. It doesnt translate to today.

1 season where we win a division and have a home playoff game I guarantee we will see a cap in season tickets and a waiting list.

Also I'm unsure of all these events an indoor would hold that an outdoor and func can't. Maybe a hypothetical final four... but on the other hand an outdoor stadium would hold nhl games I'm sure on a few occasions

Edited by May Day 10

The new Bills stadium has to be a special, unique and revolutionary building especially if it's going to be downtown. I want the PNC Park/Camden Yards of NFL football fields. Don't want an overpriced cement dungeon.

As I mentioned before, the January 3 Houston Comeback game was even blacked out. A playoff game?!?

This is a bad example to promote your argument. There are numerous factors that are not being included or ignored.

1. Rich Stadium at the time held over 80k people. Attendance figures for the game claim 75k+.
  2. The Bills played the Oilers the week before (last game of the season) and lost badly, 27-3. Kelly was injured (knee) during that game and was eventually declared out for the playoff game.
  3. Frank Reich came off the bench in relief of Kelly during the regular season game and was declared the starter for the playoff game. Reich's performance off the bench was less than stellar - 11/23 for 99 yards, 2 INT and 0 TD.
  4. Needless to say, having to play the Oilers the following week with Reich as the starter, expectations for a Bills victory were quite low, The Bills still managed to put 75K+ in the stands.

Today, RWS holds 73k+ people. If Rich Stadium was only 73K back in 92-93, the Oiler playoff game would have been a sell out. Furthermore, any new stadium being built today will probably seat less than 70K. I would not be shocked if the number is somewhere between 60-65K.

If I remember right too if the Bills had won the Sunday night game they would have had a bye week in the playoffs, so tickets weren't even available until Monday for that game and then had to be sold out by Thursday at noon or whatever the blackout rule is.

This anti roof (no one builds domes anymore) sentiment is weird. I attend games in the Superdome all of the time and there is plenty of atmosphere. I also went to Houston this year and thought that place was great. I don't know what the attraction is of sitting outside in 35 degree temperatures when it is raining? Good luck attracting the wealthier clientele in that atmosphere. I cannot see a scenario where there isn't a roof.

Well, then, lets ask the people in NY/NJ, Boston, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Seattle how they attract wealthier clientele to come to the games played in a cold/colder climate.

I would be very interested in hearing what Seattle has to say considering they went from the Kingdome to the stadium they now play in.

And just for giggles, why not ask Denver and KC?

I am not against a dome. But I do believe domes attract a more casual fan, which leads to the argument the atmosphere playing in a dome "sucks".

Casual fans attend because its something to do. Its an event.

Hardcore/diehard fans will attend regardless if its a dome or not. Even the wealthier ones. These fans will attend because they enjoy the whole game day "experience".

To these people, its more than just a game, or something to do on a Sunday. Its a part of their lifestyle.

Edited by Cynical

Well, then, lets ask the people in NY/NJ, Boston, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Seattle how they attract wealthier clientele to come to the games played in a cold/colder climate.

I would be very interested in hearing what Seattle has to say considering they went from the Kingdome to the stadium they now play in.

And just for giggles, why not ask Denver and KC?

You want an answer to your question? How do they attract them in any city? Two words:

Luxury box

Heated and enclosed with TV monitors. Basically a/dome without a dome.

I don't personally know any true WNYers that would skip a Bills game because of weather. I know I wouldn't. I've worked outside jobs most of my life so staying home because it's cold and snowy/rainy is a lame excuse. That's just my opinion, but like I said, I don't know anyone that wouldn't attend a home game because of weather. GB has a waiting list for season tickets and sells out every home game. Guess they have more loyal fans than Buffalo. And it gets a hell of a lot colder there.

Wait till you turn 70.

I am all for a retractable roof and natural light. That is why Lucas Oil Field is so appealing. When these issues previously were discussed many months ago, someone also posted a photo of a rugby stadium in NZ or Australia that was very appealing with all of the natural light.

If it were up to me and if there is a retractable roof, the roof would be open for football unless it were below a certain temperature (say 30 degrees +/-) or it was raining or the wind had gusts of over a certain MPH.

There is a way to accommodate most everyone's interests. I certainly would not want to be in an antiseptic dome stadium without any character (e.g., Rogers, the one in St. Pete), I would rather have the Ralph. But, if someone is going to spend the money and time building a stadium, I think that it should be downtown, have a retractable roof, and have lots of character and light.

That was me who posted it and that stadium same latitude (except south of equator not north of equator) as Buffalo.

It was scaled for 30K and I was wondering if it could be scaled for 60-75K

Here is another one in New Zealand

http://www.forsythbarrstadium.co.nz/the-stadium/

My objection is not to closed vs open - I think something between the two is best like Seattle and Dallas with a window or portion of stadium roof open and the sides inclined to redirect the snow down the sides rather than into field or to continue pile along sides which I have seen in some Northern European countries. My objection is the ruining of tailgating in Buffalo who along with Kansas City and Green Bay have some of the best tailgating. A roofed stadium downtown will be cramped for parking (wow a train track which goes one direction!) probably requiring mullti-level parking garages which will be there own nightmare to get out AND lack of tailgating options unless you want to find a bar to host you like happens when we go to games in Baltimore.

If it is a downtown stadium they need to clone Lambeau.

Lambeau has a mall attached to it and meeting rooms that can be used year round.

There are only a maximum of 12 days a year an NFL stadium is used.

It would be a critical to make it multifunctional like Lambeau.

If it is a downtown stadium they need to clone Lambeau.

Lambeau has a mall attached to it and meeting rooms that can be used year round.

There are only a maximum of 12 days a year an NFL stadium is used.

It would be a critical to make it multifunctional like Lambeau.

Exactly - you can make space usable but still leave the stadium open. Even include bridges to other buildings which serve as additional gates.

This is a bad example to promote your argument. There are numerous factors that are not being included or ignored.

1. Rich Stadium at the time held over 80k people. Attendance figures for the game claim 75k+.
  2. The Bills played the Oilers the week before (last game of the season) and lost badly, 27-3. Kelly was injured (knee) during that game and was eventually declared out for the playoff game.
  3. Frank Reich came off the bench in relief of Kelly during the regular season game and was declared the starter for the playoff game. Reich's performance off the bench was less than stellar - 11/23 for 99 yards, 2 INT and 0 TD.
  4. Needless to say, having to play the Oilers the following week with Reich as the starter, expectations for a Bills victory were quite low, The Bills still managed to put 75K+ in the stands.

Today, RWS holds 73k+ people. If Rich Stadium was only 73K back in 92-93, the Oiler playoff game would have been a sell out. Furthermore, any new stadium being built today will probably seat less than 70K. I would not be shocked if the number is somewhere between 60-65K.

Also, playoff tix price were jacked up.

There are always a million and one reasons that people give for why games are not sold out. In Miami, it is always that there is so much else to do blah, blah, blah.

Whether the reasons are valid or not, whatever stadium is built, teams have to give people a reason to want to be at the stadium rather than watch games at home or do something else. That includes the product on the field as well as the fan experience and amenities at the stadium.

We can go back and forth about whether a new stadium should have a retractable roof or be open air, the location, the size etc., but if it does not give people the incentive to get into their cars, drive to the stadium, contend with the traffic, want to be surrounded by the others that attend the games, enjoy the fan experience etc. . . as opposed to not doing any of that and watching the game at home or doing something else . . . what is the point?

We can all have romantic notions about what it was like "in the day," but times have changed with large screen HD tvs, fantasy football, social media, and the way people live their lives now.

That's kind of the point. The numbers say that they have a hard time selling tickets in December. It is a fact that and has been for decades. So there is a segment that isn't going specifically because of weather.

It's women. I know so many who love going in September, esp. Opening Day, and won't go when the weather is bad.

If I remember right too if the Bills had won the Sunday night game they would have had a bye week in the playoffs, so tickets weren't even available until Monday for that game and then had to be sold out by Thursday at noon or whatever the blackout rule is.

I don't remember the ticket situation, but you're definitely right on all the other stuff.

Agreed.

If there was any doubt about the next stadium being a dome or retractable roof before the snow storm before the Jets game, there is no doubt any longer.

That snow storm was a snow storm of a life time affecting a lot of vital services employees in a lot of communities. Dome or No dome, that game would not have been played as people were overly tired from snow related services/dutys. People needed rest. You would not have had enough cops directing traffic etc....