Double-Digit Candidates & Interviews -Smart Move

HailMary

The Pegulas decision to interview upward towards 10 candidates has recently been mocked by a number of media sources. Under normal circumstances teams would have a shorter list with a couple of favourites in mind and I can see how this approach would be ripped by media. However, the reality of our circumstances is very different here. We have billionaire owners with little no NFL football operations experience. If you think about it, the strategy is quite smart. As a new owner with no NFL management experience, why wouldn't you take advantage of interviewing some of the brightest and experienced minds in the game to gain insight and perspective and when would you have this chance again. Smart move-we'll be in good hands.

Oh please. It just shows we are inept and do not know what success is. We are wasting time with all these interviews.

SF is doing the same thing I believe.

brilliant. Top of the class in organization. This is a team that knows how to win!

Smart Move. My wish though is for one of these upcomer OC coaches if hired will keep the defense and DC in place with Schwartz, and either increase Schwartz pay or promote him to Asst HC. Failing this promote Schwartz to HC and go in the college ranks and get a bright innovative OC to be our OC.

It;s good for the Pegulas to make connections,perhaps for future needs..but,at what point might candidates feel exploited and think the interview is a waste of time?Or that Pegs is just picking their brains?Might it look like Pegula (and Whaley?) have NO plan and just hope to get lucky?

I am not worried..though, there arent that many openings in the NFL (yet?) and there are plenty of good candidates for the Bills to look at. No hurry.

And,it's obvious they arent interested in a college guy?

People seem to forget that when they were replacing Gailey, they had a hard time even getting people to come for an interview!

I'm so happy with getting rid of Marrone after only 2 seasons. Now they have a new owner, a decent team, and are in a much better position to attract a quality staff. Worked out great, in my eyes.

Edited by HoF Watkins

Meh. No downside, but I think it is a waste of time. What real insight would some coordinator with no knowledge of our team provide?

How he would develop EJ, how he would use Spiller if we re-sign him, how he would use Watkins, Woods and Goodwin along with the backs. What he thought of Chandler and Gray. I imagine that each of these candidates watched every single play the Bills had preparing for the interview, and they know what to look for.

Waste of time because its going to be The Schawartz. They really need to nail the OC though

That is the problem.

If you go and interview 15% of the NFL assistant coaches, then you choice your own you do look

1.) Silly

2.) Like nobody else wanted the gig.

We will see.

The good news is I like 11/12 of the candidates over Marrone.

Mike Shanahan gives me the creeps.

:sick:

Damn you. You are correct of course. But i am over worried about Jim being dissed i suppose.

Maybe they have already come to terms internally with Jim that they are hiring outside, But Frank Reich as HC over Jim who has years and years of NFL exp and proved his worth to the Bills just last year? Thats brutal to think of, Love Frank but... Tough call for the Pegulas

It is smart and it is also essential. Five other teams looking for a HC at the same time. There are a lot of repetitive candidates amongst these six teams. Some of these candidates will a) be hired, b) withdraw and remain in their current situation, and c) not be considered a strong candidate. There is also likely a candidate or two who are just getting interview experience and are not ready to bust a move. Factor this all together and it is not hard to understand why the Bills end up somewhere between 12 - 15 interviews perhaps more. Hopefully the next HC will be an innovative guy who can motivate players and work well with others in the organization i.e. not be a pompous ass.

Meh. No downside, but I think it is a waste of time. What real insight would some coordinator with no knowledge of our team provide?

I get where you're coming from, but I think there's value in building relationships. That may pay off down the road in some way. What could it hurt?

How he would develop EJ, how he would use Spiller if we re-sign him, how he would use Watkins, Woods and Goodwin along with the backs. What he thought of Chandler and Gray. I imagine that each of these candidates watched every single play the Bills had preparing for the interview, and they know what to look for.

Do you really think they put in that kind of study for these interviews? (I am asking seriously-- not being sarcastic).

I would guess a guy like Dan Quinn-- who has to interview with 5+ teams--and get ready for a playoff game, isn't putting in that kind of prep time. If I had to guess, he knows virtually nothing about the Bills, except what casual fans and pundits know.

I could be wrong-- just don't think it's feasible for these guys to get anything more than a surfacy view of a team.

These are interviews. Have you ever showed up to an interview and didn't have any knowledge of the company you were interviewing with? All of these interviewees would have an idea of the personnel on hand, particularly as it related to their area of expertise, and how they might deploy that talent, amongst other things. These coaches have access to college/pro scouting reports, film, and friends with intimate knowledge of players/execs, etc. There should be no excuse for an interviewee, who wants one of only 32 gigs in the world, not to be able to talk in at least a semi-detailed way about the personnel of the team they interview with and how that personnel fits into their coaching philosophies.

It's not wasted time at all. I think it's the exact opposite if you are the Pegula's who are brand new to the game. First hand knowledge, from experienced professionals, about how they view the talent on their team, and thoughts about organizational dynamics is invaluable for them going forward.

Edited by purple haze

These are interviews. Have you ever showed up to an interview and didn't have any knowledge of the company you were interviewing with? All of these interviewees would have an idea of the personnel on hand, particularly as it related to their area of expertise, and how they might deploy that talent, amongst other things. These coaches have access to college/pro scouting reports, film, and friends with intimate knowledge of players/execs, etc. There should be no excuse for an interviewee, who wants one of only 32 gigs in the world, not to be able to talk in at least a semi-detailed way about the personnel of the team they interview with and how that personnel fits into their coaching philosophies.

It's not wasted time at all. I think it's the exact opposite if you are the Pegula's who are brand new to the game. First hand knowledge, from experienced professionals, about how they view the talent on their team, and thoughts about organizational dynamics is invaluable for them going forward.

Actually, I think you are right. I just read this article on HC interviews and you are probably right that there is a lot of free advice on personnel and vision of the team:

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/10/nfl-hiring-firing-head-coaches-part-2/

Do you really think they put in that kind of study for these interviews? (I am asking seriously-- not being sarcastic).

I would guess a guy like Dan Quinn-- who has to interview with 5+ teams--and get ready for a playoff game, isn't putting in that kind of prep time. If I had to guess, he knows virtually nothing about the Bills, except what casual fans and pundits know.

I could be wrong-- just don't think it's feasible for these guys to get anything more than a surfacy view of a team.

Who impresses a team owner more for a Head Coaching job in the NFL, a guy who wings it or a guy who comes completely prepared, knows the team and its players and has a plan for how he would lead them. These guys are going from $500,000 - 1m a year jobs to 4m-5m a year jobs. You really think these guys aren't prepared for their interviews?

Who impresses a team owner more for a Head Coaching job in the NFL, a guy who wings it or a guy who comes completely prepared, knows the team and its players and has a plan for how he would lead them. These guys are going from $500,000 - 1m a year jobs to 4m-5m a year jobs. You really think these guys aren't prepared for their interviews?

It's just tough for me to envision how detailed these interviews go. Someone said we interviewed chip kelly last year for 17 minutes; if that is true (may not be), then not sure you could get beyond high level.

It's just tough for me to envision how detailed these interviews go. Someone said we interviewed chip kelly last year for 17 minutes; if that is true (may not be), then not sure you could get beyond high level.

To me there is zero chance that happened, although I don't think there was a chance in hell that Chip Kelly would have come to Buffalo two years ago. If it were now, he would strongly consider it. But there is no way they interviewed him for 17 minutes. They were in a suite in Phoenix and held interviews there all day. Three of them. Morning, afternoon and then into the night. I think Marrone was the third and it went into the next day or two.

I just had a flashback of Gregg Williams getting hired by Tom Donahoe. Donahoe went on and on about how prepared Williams was for the interview. I need a drink! :cry:

Edited by juno999

I don't know if it is a smart move or not but I think it is occurring for several reasons. In part I think it is because Pegula is new to the NFL and doesn't have as much knowledge of the candidates. He wants to meet them to get a better feel for them. He also could very well be interviewing Brandon and Whaley at the same time. Pegula has hired many top executives and even though the NFL is new to him he likely is judging Brandon and Whaley's effectiveness throughout the process.

I hope things get wrapped up soon though because telling so many potential head coaches no may hurt down the road when new staff need to be recruited and if our "team" comes out looking poor in the process (I think we have all left interviews thinking "Man, I wouldn't want to work for THAT company!). Word gets around quick and Pegula needs to be worried about what that word might be.

Also, we should have had a better idea of what we felt about Schwartz as I would be feeling like an after thought the more they interview other candidates. If they hire someone I respect fine but if they pass me over for some obscure coach after interviewing 18 people that probably would irk me. I hope someone is showing Schwartz some respect throughout this process. Frankly, the odds that he turns out to be a very good coach his second time around are as good as most of these other candidates.

Finally, I hope they don't get duped by a good interview like Mularky. Some people are capable of interviewing well and communicating good ideas but that is much different than effectively leading a team! I wish we could get a Dungy in here for example. His integrity is off the charts and has proven to be a great coach and person. I don't care if he kills an interview or not. Interviewing, in my opinion, is very overrated. Find someone who has proven they can be trusted and stay away from the rest (like the Shannahan's for goodness sake!).

Edited by timtebow15

This isn't a waste of time as it allows the new owners to understand the interview process, and listen to some of the brightest minds in the game. The interview is about that person giving their vision, and plan on what they would do for the teams future. The schemes they would run, and the assistants they would hire, and how they would go about building a winning team.

These candidates also have to look over the Bills roster, and give their ideas on how best to utilize the current players, and what they would want in future players. This is very interesting because I'd wager Doug Whaley wants more then anything to see his first rounds picks at QB & WR have great success. IMHO, his future with the Buffalo Bills basically depends getting those players, and the team to the playoffs asap. Hence a quality QB tutor with an ability to build a good passing attack.

I've read that Russ Brandon has been pushing to get the Shanahan's hired as the next HC & OC, and that would work well to get the offense on track right away. What bothers me is all this is some really good people are getting overlooked in someone like Gary Kubiak, and Tom Cable. The former did build a good playoff team with a very dominate running attack, and has a noted excellent offensive background

Damn you. You are correct of course. But i am over worried about Jim being dissed i suppose.

Maybe they have already come to terms internally with Jim that they are hiring outside, But Frank Reich as HC over Jim who has years and years of NFL exp and proved his worth to the Bills just last year? Thats brutal to think of, Love Frank but... Tough call for the Pegulas

Perhaps their ideal situation is Frank as HC, Linenhan as OC, Schwartz as DC, with Frank acting as a "hands off" type of HC and manages the game, while letting the coordinators run their respective sides of the ball. This could also help any QB development.

This isn't a waste of time as it allows the new owners to understand the interview process, and listen to some of the brightest minds in the game. The interview is about that person giving their vision, and plan on what they would do for the teams future. The schemes they would run, and the assistants they would hire, and how they would go about building a winning team.

These candidates also have to look over the Bills roster, and give their ideas on how best to utilize the current players, and what they would want in future players. This is very interesting because I'd wager Doug Whaley wants more then anything to see his first rounds picks at QB & WR have great success. IMHO, his future with the Buffalo Bills basically depends getting those players, and the team to the playoffs asap. Hence a quality QB tutor with an ability to build a good passing attack.

I've read that Russ Brandon has been pushing to get the Shanahan's hired as the next HC & OC, and that would work well to get the offense on track right away. What bothers me is all this is some really good people are getting overlooked in someone like Gary Kubiak, and Tom Cable. The former did build a good playoff team with a very dominate running attack, and has a noted excellent offensive background

Shanahan frightens me, and he was mediocre w/o Elway. I would like Kubiak, and the Bills could be waiting to hire someone until he becomes available when the Ravens eventually loose. ??

I don't know if it is a smart move or not but I think it is occurring for several reasons. In part I think it is because Pegula is new to the NFL and doesn't have as much knowledge of the candidates. He wants to meet them to get a better feel for them. He also could very well be interviewing Brandon and Whaley at the same time. Pegula has hired many top executives and even though the NFL is new to him he likely is judging Brandon and Whaley's effectiveness throughout the process.

I hope things get wrapped up soon though because telling so many potential head coaches no may hurt down the road when new staff need to be recruited and if our "team" comes out looking poor in the process (I think we have all left interviews thinking "Man, I wouldn't want to work for THAT company!). Word gets around quick and Pegula needs to be worried about what that word might be.

Also, we should have had a better idea of what we felt about Schwartz as I would be feeling like an after thought the more they interview other candidates. If they hire someone I respect fine but if they pass me over for some obscure coach after interviewing 18 people that probably would irk me. I hope someone is showing Schwartz some respect throughout this process. Frankly, the odds that he turns out to be a very good coach his second time around are as good as most of these other candidates.

Finally, I hope they don't get duped by a good interview like Mularky. Some people are capable of interviewing well and communicating good ideas but that is much different than effectively leading a team! I wish we could get a Dungy in here for example. His integrity is off the charts and has proven to be a great coach and person. I don't care if he kills an interview or not. Interviewing, in my opinion, is very overrated. Find someone who has proven they can be trusted and stay away from the rest (like the Shannahan's for goodness sake!).

or completely bullsh!tted like Marrone managed to do. He sold snake oil to the snake oil salesman. That regime ran exactly what they wanted to run despite what players were on the roster, and had no real clue on exactly how things work in the NFL. Hence the 71% of the runs up the middle, and most of those runs were right into the backsides of the linemen because there were no holes to be found.

Shanahan frightens me, and he was mediocre w/o Elway. I would like Kubiak, and the Bills could be waiting to hire someone until he becomes available when the Ravens eventually loose. ??

He shouldn't frighten you, as he was able to get his team to 11-5 with (who?) Brian Griese at QB in 2000, and had the #2 offense in points, and yards that year with Mike Anderson at RB.

Then he made the playoffs three years running with (who?) Jake Plummer at QB, 2003 (10-6), 04 (10-6), 05 (13-3). while fielding a better then top 10 offense every year. He had only gotten two years with the QB he wanted in Jay Cutler, and in Cutler's second season he went to the pro bowl after throwing for 4526 yards, and 25 TD's.

Look what the Shanahan's were able to do with RG3 in his first season (10-6) and RG3 makes the pro bowl. What did him in with the Redskins was injuries to RG3, and then wanting to bench him because he wasn't listening to directions. RG3 won that power struggle due to the owners stupidity. Then the next coach he hires in Jay Gruden says the very same thing

If anything, it was Shanhan's inability to hire the right defensive coordinators that did him in both Denver, and Washington. During his entire time in Washington as DC Jim Haslett never fielded a defense better then 20th, and some years it was 30th. He is now gone from there as the Redskins wanted to interview Jim Schwartz for their DC job, and were told no by the Bills.

I'm so happy with getting rid of Marrone after only 2 seasons. Now they have a new owner, a decent team, and are in a much better position to attract a quality staff. Worked out great, in my eyes.

First off, we didn't get rid of Marrone, in fact we offered him an extension. He got rid of the Bills. Secondly, we are not in good hands with an owner who has no clue how the NFL works. I think it's total overkill with all these interviews. Our next HC will be here for the money, and nothing else.

First off, we didn't get rid of Marrone, in fact we offered him an extension. He got rid of the Bills. Secondly, we are not in good hands with an owner who has no clue how the NFL works. I think it's total overkill with all these interviews. Our next HC will be here for the money, and nothing else.

I'm well aware that Marrone left, but we as fans, are indeed rid of him. Sorry if my phrasing upset you so.

As far as the number of interviews, how do you know that it's the Pegulas and not Whaley or any of the other front office people behind the cattle call?

The last 2 times the Bills went looking for a head coach, they had a hard time getting qualified candidates to interview. Not this time. Now the job is more desirable, for a variety of reasons. They are in a better place, and I'm happy about it.

Thank you very much.

Edited by HoF Watkins