Double-Digit Candidates & Interviews -Smart Move

HailMary

I'm well aware that Marrone left, but we as fans, are indeed rid of him. Sorry if my phrasing upset you so.

As far as the number of interviews, how do you know that it's the Pegulas and not Whaley or any of the other front office people behind the cattle call?

The last 2 times the Bills went looking for a head coach, they had a hard time getting qualified candidates to interview. Not this time. Now the job is more desirable, for a variety of reasons. They are in a better place, and I'm happy about it.

Thank you very much.

I think part of what you say should be very good news for Bills fans.

The head coaching job is much more desirable than it has been in many years.

Thats a Good thing all around !

How he would develop EJ, how he would use Spiller if we re-sign him, how he would use Watkins, Woods and Goodwin along with the backs. What he thought of Chandler and Gray. I imagine that each of these candidates watched every single play the Bills had preparing for the interview, and they know what to look for.

And if they didn't, it should be a very short interview.

Getting what essentially amounts to "free advice" about how to fix the offense from a double-digit number of qualified candidates can only be a good thing.

I think part of what you say should be very good news for Bills fans.

The head coaching job is much more desirable than it has been in many years.

Thats a Good thing all around !

I don't think Marrone was awful, I just don't believe he would take the team any further, so his 2 year stint was just enough to get the team going in the right direction. Any more time with Marrone would have just been treading water.

Meh. No downside, but I think it is a waste of time. What real insight would some coordinator with no knowledge of our team provide?

Waste of time? Heck I interviewed like 10 people for an Associate position last year. If I were interviewing guys for my multi-million dollar Head Coach position I'm pretty sure I would interview as many quality candidates as possible!

And even if they don't have knowledge of our roster or team, they do have different philosophies that would be interesting to hear, when you're asking about OC / DC positions you might hear the same name pop up several times (which is probably saying something about that guy), they might give you an outside perspective of the Bills organization as a whole, plus just the "industry contacts" they're making show this is time well spent!

Edited by Heitz

I don't know if it is a smart move or not but I think it is occurring for several reasons. In part I think it is because Pegula is new to the NFL and doesn't have as much knowledge of the candidates. He wants to meet them to get a better feel for them. He also could very well be interviewing Brandon and Whaley at the same time. Pegula has hired many top executives and even though the NFL is new to him he likely is judging Brandon and Whaley's effectiveness throughout the process.

I hope things get wrapped up soon though because telling so many potential head coaches no may hurt down the road when new staff need to be recruited and if our "team" comes out looking poor in the process (I think we have all left interviews thinking "Man, I wouldn't want to work for THAT company!). Word gets around quick and Pegula needs to be worried about what that word might be.

Also, we should have had a better idea of what we felt about Schwartz as I would be feeling like an after thought the more they interview other candidates. If they hire someone I respect fine but if they pass me over for some obscure coach after interviewing 18 people that probably would irk me. I hope someone is showing Schwartz some respect throughout this process. Frankly, the odds that he turns out to be a very good coach his second time around are as good as most of these other candidates.

Finally, I hope they don't get duped by a good interview like Mularky. Some people are capable of interviewing well and communicating good ideas but that is much different than effectively leading a team! I wish we could get a Dungy in here for example. His integrity is off the charts and has proven to be a great coach and person. I don't care if he kills an interview or not. Interviewing, in my opinion, is very overrated. Find someone who has proven they can be trusted and stay away from the rest (like the Shannahan's for goodness sake!).

I work for this type of dude. The great bulls***rs of the world.

Hey maybe the chimps I manage probably think the same about me come to think about it.

I kind of feel like these interviews are not only for the HC job but also for OC and (if Schwartz leaves) DC. They might even be lining up certain guys now after hearing a HC candidate say he planned to bring them on as coordinators if he got the job. They can't get permission to interview some OCs and DCs unless it's for a higher level job, so this is a way around it. And as long as they do it thoroughly, professionally and cordially, it's a great strategy. Also, as others have pointed out, it's a great way to get as much feedback on your organization as possible, and to find out what else might be out there.

And what I love is no one's turned us down that I can think of (for HC, that is; I'm not talking about Polian). If nothing else, they all want to see what's here... whereas in the old days, they knew exactly what was here (Ralph and the Old Guard) and many didn't want it.

Interviewing this many candidates tells me they didnt have any leading candidates heading into the search which can be a good or bad thing. I dont think that all of these candidates are being interviewed for the head coaching position even though it may be portrayed that way just to get the interview. Does anyone really think Kyle Shanahan or Greg Roman are serious contenders for the HC position? Doesnt it make more sense the Bills want to interview them as possible OC's depending on who the HC turns out to be especially if its Schwartz?

I personally think this many candidates spreads too wide of a net and only extends a process most think is better to get completed sooner rather than later. If I had to make a guess I think it comes down to promoting Schwartz and hiring Kyle or Roman as OC or hiring Reich or Gase and keeping Schwartz as DC. The rest of these candidates just dont make sense to me. I like Pep Hamilton but i dont think he is ready, Hue Jackson, give me a break, Rex Ryan, why when we have Schwartz? The rest fall into similar categories.

I don't believe the number of interviews says a single thing about whether they had any "leading" candidates or not. Bottom line -- the SMART thing to do is talk to everybody who is qualified, even if you "think" you like one guy more going in.

As a kid I really liked vanilla ice cream. If you offered me vanilla I'd take it every time. Then one day I tasted chocolate. I still like vanilla, but boy do I love me some chocolate.

Perhaps Frank Reich is vanilla, and Kyle Shanahan (or somebody else) turns out to be chocolate. Taste them all.

I don't believe the number of interviews says a single thing about whether they had any "leading" candidates or not. Bottom line -- the SMART thing to do is talk to everybody who is qualified, even if you "think" you like one guy more going in.

As a kid I really liked vanilla ice cream. If you offered me vanilla I'd take it every time. Then one day I tasted chocolate. I still like vanilla, but boy do I love me some chocolate.

Perhaps Frank Reich is vanilla, and Kyle Shanahan (or somebody else) turns out to be chocolate. Taste them all.

I get they want to cover all bases but if they had 2-3 leading candidates would they really be interviewing 10 others? I highly doubt they would, why muddy the waters that much.

I get they want to cover all bases but if they had 2-3 leading candidates would they really be interviewing 10 others? I highly doubt they would, why muddy the waters that much.

We disagree. The new owner of the Bills is hiring his first NFL head coach. Talk to everyone, and hear all of their various ideas and philosophies. A leader will emerge.

This interview process is being handled well. They should be interviewing all kinds of people and they can't interview too many.

This process will tell Pegula as much about his own organization as it does any of the specific interviewees.

Pat LaFontaine did a similar thing when he was interviewing potential GMs for the Sabres.

He took a LONG time (4 months or so as I recall) and interviewed every bright mind in the game.

It's not all about finding the right guy for the job; it's about other things too.

:flirt: