Head Coach Candidate: Frank Reich

Fred Smerlas@FredSmerlas 10m10 minutes ago

.@BuffalonianFilm @randobills I think Buffalo would be Frank's 1st choice. In my opinion he is ours to lose

4PlOTOBt_normal.pngFred Smerlas @FredSmerlas · 25m 25 minutes ago

It's not so much that Marrone's gone but who's coming in #FrankReich

Fred Smerlas @FredSmerlas · 22m 22 minutes ago

.@randobills Frank Reich is smart, has tremendous character and he bleeds Buffalo blue

Fred Smerlas @FredSmerlas · 21m 21 minutes ago

.@jimijamm Frank has put his time in, I played with him and know him well, and he wants to be in Buffalo

Fred Smerlas @FredSmerlas · 14m 14 minutes ago

.@jmack6999 Bill Polian's return would be bad news for the rest of the AFC East. Could be the greatest GM in NFL History

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fred Smerlas@FredSmerlas 10m10 minutes ago

.@BuffalonianFilm @randobills I think Buffalo would be Frank's 1st choice. In my opinion he is ours to lose

4PlOTOBt_normal.pngFred Smerlas @FredSmerlas · 25m 25 minutes ago

It's not so much that Marrone's gone but who's coming in #FrankReich

Fred Smerlas @FredSmerlas · 22m 22 minutes ago

.@randobills Frank Reich is smart, has tremendous character and he bleeds Buffalo blue

Fred Smerlas @FredSmerlas · 21m 21 minutes ago

.@jimijamm Frank has put his time in, I played with him and know him well, and he wants to be in Buffalo

Fred Smerlas @FredSmerlas · 14m 14 minutes ago

.@jmack6999 Bill Polian's return would be bad news for the rest of the AFC East. Could be the greatest GM in NFL History

"he is ours to lose" WTF did Smerlas quit on his favorite team the pats*?

Nothing against him, but I don't get it. He could be great, but he's proven nothing...I don't want to hire a coach on a "hunch" he might be good at it because people like him. I want to hire a coach who has proven he can lead a team, make a significant impact, and command respect. Maybe as an OC, but please no as HC. Like I said, doesn't mean he will be a bad HC, but I don't want to roll the dice with a team that is this close to being playoff relevant again.

Alphadawg, I "get" your desires. Here's the problem, though: just whom do you have in mind who would be "all that" and interested/available?

The problem is that NFL head coach is an incredibly demanding job. Even guys who have done it, and done it well, burn out. The guys who are "hot sh**" right now like Carroll or Belichek aren't going anywhere. Now you're into guys who have some proven success, but it hasn't been sustained, and you're "rolling the dice" that you understand what went south for them and why it would be different in your gig. Just like you're rolling the dice when you pick up a successful college guy or a hot young coordinator.

But he's never really even been a coordinator. If he didnt have a huge part of the comeback, people would be saying this is by far, the stupidest idea EVER, or all the stupid ideas.

I think it's more than just the comeback it's that a lot of people in the area know him and what he's all about. To me being a head coach in the NFL is about management and communication. I happen to think Reich excels in those areas and based on reports that's how he's described. Look man the game is complex and simple at the same time. To me it boils down to a few things and the most important is QB, we most likely are going to need to have one play better than any expectations - and then it comes down to a coach that can keep things managed well on and off the field with great communication skills. To me Reich is at least worth a look because he played QB and it would stand to reason he would be qualified to help one develop and everyone speaks volumes of how he communicates and gets his point across.

I think it's more than just the comeback it's that a lot of people in the area know him and what he's all about. To me being a head coach in the NFL is about management and communication. I happen to think Reich excels in those areas and based on reports that's how he's described. Look man the game is complex and simple at the same time. To me it boils down to a few things and the most important is QB, we most likely are going to need to have one play better than any expectations - and then it comes down to a coach that can keep things managed well on and off the field with great communication skills. To me Reich is at least worth a look because he played QB and it would stand to reason he would be qualified to help one develop and everyone speaks volumes of how he communicates and gets his point across.

We were discussing this earlier today. IF Reich's idea of the Head Coach role for himself is the Marv Levy or the Mike Tomlin model, where he is just the leader and motivator makes in game decisions, but has a strong OC and DC working for him and lets them do their jobs with almost autonomy, then I am all for the hire assuming that Schwartz stays and Reich can hire a very established experienced OC and lets that guy run the offense. Then I think he could make a very good HC.

IF he want to run his idea of an offense, and be a coach like he just left, Mike McCoy, I think he is WOEFULLY unprepared for that job and would hate the idea.

We were discussing this earlier today. IF Reich's idea of the Head Coach role for himself is the Marv Levy or the Mike Tomlin model, where he is just the leader and motivator makes in game decisions, but has a strong OC and DC working for him and lets them do their jobs with almost autonomy, then I am all for the hire assuming that Schwartz stays and Reich can hire a very established experienced OC and lets that guy run the offense. Then I think he could make a very good HC.

IF he want to run his idea of an offense, and be a coach like he just left, Mike McCoy, I think he is WOEFULLY unprepared for that job and would hate the idea.

Actually I believe he is probably unprepared, either way. He might end up being a very good HC one day. But this is no time to experiment with a guy, IMO.

Actually I believe he is probably unprepared, either way. He might end up being a very good HC one day. But this is no time to experiment with a guy, IMO.

Agree 100%...Just don't think he's ready yet...

This team needs someone who can come in and fix the running game first and foremost to take pressure off EJ who more than likely will be the starter in week #1...I realize SD had injuries at the RB position...but they also have Rivers, which in theory should make it easier to run the ball because he's a QB that can unquestionably burn Defenses...SD finished 30th in rushing offense and 31st in yards per attempt...I don't like those numbers, and I don't think Reich is the guy for the job...yet of course...

I would not bet against him...He is super smart, bleeds Red, White, and Blue, and it would be a nice story...But I have severe reservations... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Excellent.

Frank has been a part of the family for years. But NO to his hire as a HC. Not now.

I think if they like reich, now is the window they would have to do it in, even if he had to grow into the job a bit.

By the way, the other guy he compares a bit to is Jason Garrett. They basically had the same coaching experience when Garrett was offered his first HC gig (which he turned down).

Enh ... I think the experience stuff is overrated. Hiring a good staff is at least half the battle, and if he's a good communicator and is well connected (which he probably is), he'll be ok on that front, especially if Schwartz stays. Football coaching ain't rocket surgery.

I'm fine with Schwartz as HC though. I think he's very smart and probably learned what not to do at Detroit.

Edited by dave mcbride