"Season on the Brink- Marrone Punts"

racecitybills

I just hate it all - I hate 4th down, I hate screen pass to fred, I hate 2 and out route to chandler, I hate spiller into the line for 2 yards, I hate orton getting sacked, I hate injuries, I hate onside kicks, I hate Nate Hackett more than anything

The bigger problem was throwing the ball on 3rd and 1. Orton has been off all day. Why put the game in his incapable hands?

He was throwing passes with no touch. Lob the ball instead of a line drive and the pass is completed.

The 80s style philosophy - force an inside running game, bemoan the risk of turnovers, punt, play field position - is just brutal. There's no question it hurts us, it costs us marginal wins, and especially hurts us when playing against teams with superior talent. The entire game now is: make big plays, go for big plays, eat some turnovers as a cost of doing business (so to speak), maximize # of offensive plays, get the downfield flags, etc.

Even so, what kills us is the QB play. Keep the great defense, keep the great O-line ... my kingdom for a great QB. These days, it's the great QB that makes everyone else look good, not vice-versa.

we were down by two with over 8 minutes to go punting was smart there. our Defense letting them score cost us at that point.

Punting in that situation is actually never smart according to the statistical probablities of success

Can there be any other reason better than this to fire this staff?

Keep the defensive staff - return no one on the offensive side-

Absolutely! If Marrone is going by the numbers, you absolutely prepare to go for it, if needed, as of 3rd down. Then you have TWO plays to advance the ball 1 yard.

What if we had been Oakland on defense in that scenario and New England was the Bills on offense...and they did not get first down on 3rd down. We would all be afraid that we aren't going to be able to stop them twice in a row on 4th down...and then we'd all be shocked and amazed when they did our job for us by PUNTING.

This is the action of a loser in that situation. New England are winners; they don't do that type of dumb crap.

The 80s style philosophy - force an inside running game, bemoan the risk of turnovers, punt, play field position - is just brutal. There's no question it hurts us, it costs us marginal wins, and especially hurts us when playing against teams with superior talent. The entire game now is: make big plays, go for big plays, eat some turnovers as a cost of doing business (so to speak), maximize # of offensive plays, get the downfield flags, etc.

Even so, what kills us is the QB play. Keep the great defense, keep the great O-line ... my kingdom for a great QB. These days, it's the great QB that makes everyone else look good, not vice-versa.

Well said and quite true. Unfortunately the brain trust at OBD went with the vice-versa approach and threw away our #1 next year for a WR to make a bad QB a bit better.

This whole crew needs to be thrown out for that decision alone.

Here's the really scary part: as bad as Orton has been this year, he was "our guy" for most of the season and did help us to win some games. Yet the guy was added to the roster as a last minute band-aid fix.

That is another good reason to clean house.

I just hate it all - I hate 4th down, I hate screen pass to fred, I hate 2 and out route to chandler, I hate spiller into the line for 2 yards, I hate orton getting sacked, I hate injuries, I hate onside kicks, I hate Nate Hackett more than anything

Pretty sure you just spoke for all of us

Chip Kelly's nickname was "Big Balls" Kelly before he came into the NFL. He made similar decisions on 4th and 1 yesterday. Is there something about the NFL that makes coaches turtle?

Inexplicable loss, but I can't say Marrone deserves to be fired. He'll just be replaced by some other stuffed clown who won't live up to his reputation. At least the team appears to be moving in the right direction heading into next year.

Can there be any other reason better than this to fire this staff?

Keep the defensive staff - return no one on the offensive side-

really, you punt because the defense has been your stud all year. Marrone expected them to get the ball back. I personally have zero issues with that call. I hated the 3rd and one play call!

And we keep talking about the identity of the offense,but the bottom line remains when you can't pick up one yard conversions consistently, you have a craptastic offense.

It's amazing how much the offense has regressed over the year.

And we keep talking about the identity of the offense,but the bottom line remains when you can't pick up one yard conversions consistently, you have a craptastic offense.

Every QB under Marrone and Hackfuk has regressed tremendously in their time with the team. That should say something about this staff's ability to develop players.

Every QB under Marrone and Hackfuk has regressed tremendously in their time with the team. That should say something about this staff's ability to develop players.

Reminded me of Trentative days. Once the plays from the opening drive were exhausted, may as well turn out the lights.

I think that is our offensive identity. We're going to play crapastic and hope for one or 2 lucky plays.

We had 13 yards rushing for the entire game! It really doesn't get much more craptastic than that.

The bigger problem was throwing the ball on 3rd and 1. Orton has been off all day. Why put the game in his incapable hands?

49 passing attempts vs 13 rushes, and that against the 24th run defense, #7 pass defense. Yep, Orton sucks, and the offensive coaching sucks harder. Edited by FeartheLosing

49 passing attempts vs 13 rushes, and that against the 24th run defense, #7 pass defense. Yep, Orton sucks, and the offensive coaching sucks harder.

Going into the game, the stats showed the opposite. Yet Raiders didn't abandon the run.

Marrone allegedly prefers big mauling OLs, apparently to wear down the opposition. But that strategy doesn't quite work when they immediately give up on the run.