St. Doug to Michigan?

Kirby Jackson

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here, let me try this: The Marrone love is laughable and stupid at the same time.

Love? I know Marrone is not perfect but he's the best coach this team had since Wade Phillips, who wasn't perfect either but we (Ralph) made a huge mistake firing him. Don't mistake love with objectivity, which you clearly lack .

I disagree that it isn't more prestigious (and I love the Bills & hate Michigan). A big part of what makes those jobs is tradition & alumni money. Is ND any good? Texas? Those are still considered way better jobs than somewhere like Ole Miss even though Ole Miss would pound those teams (when healthy). Here is a list of the 10 best coaching jobs in football as of 2 years ago. http://m.espn.go.com...842&src=desktop

While I agree that Michigan isn't what it used to be (and may never be). The job clearly still has appeal.

It can't compare to an NFL job. And Michigan can't recruit a QB anymore.

Besides. Michigan just fired a schlumpy, dour HC...

It can't compare to an NFL job. And Michigan can't recruit a QB anymore.

Besides. Michigan just fired a schlumpy, dour HC...

So a more recognizable job, that pays you double the money, at a place that has won as many games as anyone is a worse job? Look, I despise Michigan and love the Bills but if you were to ask 100 objective outsiders at least 90 would say that UM is a better job. Edited by Kirby Jackson

I disagree that it isn't more prestigious (and I love the Bills & hate Michigan). A big part of what makes those jobs is tradition & alumni money. Is ND any good? Texas? Those are still considered way better jobs than somewhere like Ole Miss even though Ole Miss would pound those teams (when healthy). Here is a list of the 10 best coaching jobs in football as of 2 years ago. http://m.espn.go.com...842&src=desktop

While I agree that Michigan isn't what it used to be (and may never be). The job clearly still has appeal.

That list is ridiculous. Houston? New England?

But yes, Michigan is a prestigious job.

So a more recognizable job, that pays you double the money, at a place that has won as many games as anyone is a worse job? Look, I despise Michigan and love the Bills but if you were to ask 100 objective outsiders at least 90 would say that UM is a better job.

But he wouldn't get to be a Saint.

True. BUT as a franchise, there is no margin for error. Can't give him 5 years to find out it has been a failure. Then we are going on 20.

Want us to turn into the Chicago Cubs?

You cannot let past fauilures be the grounds for poor decisions now. You could extrapolate thd irrational sunk cost mentality into firing any coach who loses a game. Time to stop the madness.

I agree has its appeal, but just seems to me not as big as it once was. I may be wrong, but think ND even has fallen a bit for younger guys. Same deal as Michigan...hard academics, cold weather, etc. Again, not saying its a bad job, but for instance 20 years ago Miles jumping at the chance to go from LSU to Michigan....never happen now.

Now that we can all agree on :thumbsup:

These should actually make the job more appealing and more prestigious, IMO. Michigan isn't what it used to be in national competitiveness, but it's still a top level college job. Well, let's say a high-level job. But with the right guy, at the right time, poised to be top level once again.

I get a feeling the college game is in for a seismic shift, though I thought it would have happened by now. With more college programs being exposed for recruiting violations and embarrassingly bad education experiences, there is something to be said for those schools who perform well, and stay out of the troubled headlines.

Doug seems like a guy who would be drawn more to a program like Michigan than a mid-level SEC school, IMO.

With that said, I hope the Bills don't have to go through another HC change this offseason.

Let Marrone and Hackett go. They have 0% to do with our record. It's all defense and personnel

This has got to be the silliest post I've ever seen on this board. I'm sitting here in Atlanta on December 21st waiting for a meaningful Bills game to start and you think the Head Coach has nothing to do with it. Try watching the vids of post game and locker room interviews. There is passion there. The players have "give a $#1Tability" which was gone for over a decade. I'm enjoying the heck out of this season and watching the progress the team is making. There's a lot of guys, and Marrone is one of them, who are working their butts off to give us something to celebrate. Your comment is not helping.

True. BUT as a franchise, there is no margin for error. Can't give him 5 years to find out it has been a failure. Then we are going on 20.

Want us to turn into the Chicago Cubs?

Ironically what you are arguing is the sure-fire recipe for continuing failure.

Marrone deserves some respect around here. Don't understand Buffalo fans and media.

I agree 100%. The Bills should be giving this guy a contract extension. We are now relevant. He deserves credit for getting the most out of this team with limited quarterbacking play. The playoffs are possible but too bad we didn't capture one of four critical games (KC, SD, Houston, or Miami).

Furthermore, 6 head coaches this century isn't enough for Buffalo fans. It seems like most want to fire another one because as you all know, successful teams change coaches every other year in the NFL....oh wait that's soccer.

Edited by KRT88

Love? I know Marrone is not perfect but he's the best coach this team had since Wade Phillips, who wasn't perfect either but we (Ralph) made a huge mistake firing him. Don't mistake love with objectivity, which you clearly lack .

Wade had to go. He wouldn't wear a headset.

You cannot let past fauilures be the grounds for poor decisions now. You could extrapolate thd irrational sunk cost mentality into firing any coach who loses a game. Time to stop the madness.

I totally agree. How can you hold Whaley and Marrone accountable for what happened before their time. Flip flopping has turned the Raiders into a bottom dweller. Remember this is a team that the best winning % in pro sports for from the 60's to the early 90's. Give these guy 2 more years and the Bills will be a top tier team.

Ironically what you are arguing is the sure-fire recipe for continuing failure.

I am not against giving Doug another year. BUT, it has to be the playoffs. All winning coaches for the Bills through the years hadd the team in gear by the 3rd year. Levy now had it in place in his second.

You can't let mediocrity play on... I would rather have change every 3-4 years and fail that way.

I agree 100%. The Bills should be giving this guy a contract extension. We are now relevant. He deserves credit for getting the most out of this team with limited quarterbacking play. The playoffs are possible but too bad we didn't capture one of four critical games (KC, SD, Houston, or Miami).

Furthermore, 6 head coaches this century isn't enough for Buffalo fans. It seems like most want to fire another one because as you all know, successful teams change coaches every other year in the NFL....oh wait that's soccer.

He has two more years, right? I'd wait until next year, just to be sure.

The truth of the matter is we fans really don't have enough information to evaluate Marrone. Even if we we're privy to being at every practice and hear every word he says - that information is still subjective in terms of effect. IMO because we don't know much - he has to be judged on the only provable thing, wins and loses.

It can't compare to an NFL job.

You're right. If I was a HC, I would choose a big time college program over an NFL team in a heart beat.

And Michigan can't recruit a QB anymore.

Horse poop.

When Saban took over the Bama job, recruits who had no interest in going UA suddenly changed their stance.

As one recruit was quoted: "Saban changes everything."

Harbaugh built Stanford into a power.

Harbaugh took the 49ers to the SB.

If Harbaugh took the Michigan job, watch how fast he gets a QB.

You're right. If I was a HC, I would choose a big time college program over an NFL team in a heart beat.

Horse poop.

When Saban took over the Bama job, recruits who had no interest in going UA suddenly changed their stance.

As one recruit was quoted: "Saban changes everything."

Harbaugh built Stanford into a power.

Harbaugh took the 49ers to the SB.

If Harbaugh took the Michigan job, watch how fast he gets a QB.

michigan has had no problems with recruiting. They have had top recruiting classes every year. Hoke failed to develop the talent and get them to play at a high level every week.

Their 2015 class was really good and now has completely fallen apart with the coaching issue. It won't be hard to get that ball rolling again, but they are screwed for this coming year, IMO.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Demand excellance. Making the playoffs in year two is not unreasonable. As it looks now, it probably won't happen. So we are on to 3. It is a must next year.

We've been demanding excellence for 14 years. Remember the whole Flutie/Johnson debate and the downwards spiral that created. There is something to retaining talent and building on success. We've sent too many people away from One Bills Drive. From Polian and Butler and replaced them with lesser talent like Donahue. We have a coach and GM that have me excited about the future. We are in a tough division - Patriots twice a year, it's harder to make the playoffs in the AFC East than any other division in football. We are in contention going into week 16!! Imagine if Bryce Brown hadn't fumbled going into the endzone. All I'm saying is look how far this team has come, especially from week 1 to week 16. The Bills are in great shape if we can retain and build on the talent and successes.

We've been demanding excellence for 14 years. Remember the whole Flutie/Johnson debate and the downwards spiral that created. There is something to retaining talent and building on success. We've sent too many people away from One Bills Drive. From Polian and Butler and replaced them with lesser talent like Donahue. We have a coach and GM that have me excited about the future. We are in a tough division - Patriots twice a year, it's harder to make the playoffs in the AFC East than any other division in football. We are in contention going into week 16!! Imagine if Bryce Brown hadn't fumbled going into the endzone. All I'm saying is look how far this team has come, especially from week 1 to week 16. The Bills are in great shape if we can retain and build on the talent and successes.

True... But next year will be make or break. We either continue on the break through or hit a wall.

michigan has had no problems with recruiting. They have had top recruiting classes every year. Hoke failed to develop the talent and get them to play at a high level every week.

Their 2015 class was really good and now has completely fallen apart with the coaching issue. It won't be hard to get that ball rolling again, but they are screwed for this coming year, IMO.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to imply Michigan hasn't been recruiting well.

I was trying to call BS on Mr. WEO's allegation Michigan cannot recruit a QB.

Bottom line, it will not matter what kind of "recruiting problems" Michigan supposedly has, a HC like Harbaugh will have no problem overcoming the alleged shortcomings.

True... But next year will be make or break. We either continue on the break through or hit a wall.

I agree, next year is critical. I hate to say it but accurate and timely assessment of EJ's potential will be required. The offense will somehow need to find a higher gear for next year. It'll take more than pulling a guy off the couch at the last moment to make that happen. I have faith in Whaley though and his ability to make things happen and willingness to take chances.

Maybe it's the players on offense? I recall people demanding Marrone fire the ST coach last season. A year later our ST is much better. The difference? The players. Maybe that's why it takes 3 years to turn a team around?

You don't get pro bowlers across the board on all 3 units- it's generally not how it works.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to imply Michigan hasn't been recruiting well.

I was trying to call BS on Mr. WEO's allegation Michigan cannot recruit a QB.

Bottom line, it will not matter what kind of "recruiting problems" Michigan supposedly has, a HC like Harbaugh will have no problem overcoming the alleged shortcomings.

yep I was agreeing with you and just piggybacking on your post.

What are your thoughts on this rumor? http://mweb.cbssport...michigans-radar

I wouldn't mind. If he left it would tell that a couple things are possible: 1. He prefers the "stability" of the college game. 2. The conflict between him and the front office is real.

He's done some good things, but, at the same time, he does some foolish things too (training camp w/Hughes, Woods; uses of Mike Williams, his conversations with the media at times, and Hackett in general) and there is no reason for the offsense to be this poor. If he stayed that would be optimal from a continuity standpoint. However, in my heart of hearts, I believe if he left we could do better at the HC position based on the talent on hand and Pegula's ownership. We wouldn't be in the position we were in when we hired Gailey or even Marrone. I think the Bills job would be more desireable than when Marrone interviewed.

I also think him going to Michigan would allow him and the organization to "save face". If the conflict is real, they don't have to fire him and he doesn't have to re-sign.

It might be more "prestigious", but there is a reason they would be on to less than their top choices for the gig.

Edited by purple haze

I just dont think recruiting there is as easy as it was 25 years ago, which means i dont think the job is as attractive as it once was.

As an aside, they have a QB on the roster now, came out of same high school as Russell Wilson here in Richmond. Name is Wilton Speight. Nowhere near as smart as Russell, no where near as mobile....but has a gun for an arm.

Two major QB recruits out of a scholl with 50 boys a class...and does not recruit. Both he and Wilson started at that school as kindergartners.

I just dont think recruiting there is as easy as it was 25 years ago, which means i dont think the job is as attractive as it once was.

As an aside, they have a QB on the roster now, came out of same high school as Russell Wilson here in Richmond. Name is Wilton Speight. Nowhere near as smart as Russell, no where near as mobile....but has a gun for an arm.

Two major QB recruits out of a scholl with 50 boys a class...and does not recruit. Both he and Wilson started at that school as kindergartners.

interesting .. Is Speight expected to take over this year?