GoFundMe for Darryl Talley (Update 7/12- Bills Hire Darryl)

I know there is a separate thread about Darryl's sad situation, but I hope the mods find this worthy of it's own entry.

I have set up a Go Fund Me campaign to help Darryl pay his bills and get the help he needs. Please consider donating what you can.

If any one of us was in need Darryl would be the first Bill rushing to our aid.

http://www.gofundme.com/hvkgjo

Edited by ChevyVanMiller

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Setup a fund for someone who gets a $50,000 pension from the league? Someone who cashed in his 401k for $0.25 on the dollar? For a pro athlete who had a 14 year run of making pro athlete money?

Look I hope for the best for everyone and I hope his situation gets better for himself and his family. But every man needs to accept responsibility for their decisions and for their lives......and that entire article by Tim Graham rubbed me the wrong way. Blaming Butler for not resigning him when he said he would. Saying the NFL doesn't care about him......it honestly all sounds like sour grapes to me. I also didnt like how Tim Graham called Duerson's widow to get a comment on Talley saying it's cowardly to commit suicide. He basically threw Talley under the bus and made him look and seem like an insensitive ass when that's not what he meant. Very unprofessional from Tim Graham.....which doesn't surprise me at all. The guy seems to do anything possible to give his stories the most juice and drama possible.

Setup a fund for someone who gets a $50,000 pension from the league? Someone who cashed in his 401k for $0.25 on the dollar? For a pro athlete who had a 14 year run of making pro athlete money?

Look I hope for the best for everyone and I hope his situation gets better for himself and his family. But every man needs to accept responsibility for their decisions and for their lives......and that entire article by Tim Graham rubbed me the wrong way. Blaming Butler for not resigning him when he said he would. Saying the NFL doesn't care about him......it honestly all sounds like sour grapes to me. I also didnt like how Tim Graham called Duerson's widow to get a comment on Talley saying it's cowardly to commit suicide. He basically threw Talley under the bus and made him look and seem like an insensitive ass when that's not what he meant. Very unprofessional from Tim Graham.....which doesn't surprise me at all. The guy seems to do anything possible to give his stories the most juice and drama possible.

I had the same thought.

I just made a donation on Darryl's behalf. Mr. Talley is one of the very best players and

people who have ever played for out great city of Buffalo. He gave his heart a soul to

to the Bills organization and to the fans. He optimizes what it means to be a Buffalo Bill.

I agree he sacrificed his body to make the Bills better and get to the Super Bowl.

It was one of the best times in my life watching those players and those Super Bowl

teams put out a supreme effort to try and bring home a Super Bowl trophy and World Championship. I would hope that other fans of those great Bills teams that saw

how much he cared for our city and us fans will make a small donation on his behalf.

I love Darryl Talley and he will always be one of Buffalo's great football warriors.

God bless you Darryl, please be safe and know that you mean a lot to everyone here

in Western,NY.

A fund for someone who got his brains beat out so you could watch games for free on television and criticize his ass when he missed a tackle or didn't do what you're sure you would have done if only you were out there...

YES, INDEED

. But every man needs to accept responsibility for their decisions and for their lives......

But what if he was making those decisions with a brain not working right cause of all the hits he took?

Guys playing today...different story. They know the risks, the research, etc. 30 years from now I will not feel for them as i do the guys from 70s-2010.

Those guys had no such knowledge.

I appreciate the efforts of those starting up fund(s) already but I THINK more can be done if this is set up more "officially". Having

said that, I am not sure how that is actually done. For me, for example, I would love it if Jill Kelly ran the fund calling it, say, the "Jim Kelly Tough for Daryl" fund.

I'd also like to not allow a comment section at the fund site. Already, "people with opinions" (and I believe in freedom of speech) are posting them and given Daryl's current mental state, I REALLY don't think it will help him to read the opinions blaming him for his illness. I strongly disagree with those blaming Daryl but I will not get into a "sh$t" fight with them. It does not help and won't change their views anyway.

So, I am all game for donations but does anyone here have connections to see if Jimbo, his wife, Thurmon, and others can get involved to run the donations? I trust them completely.

-RichNJoisy

Central New Jersey Bills Backers

PS: I will be surprised if the Pegulas do not come forward. And disappointed.

Edited by richNjoisy

PS: I will be surprised if the Pegulas do not come forward. And disappointed.

Please dont be disappointed...the league is in the middle of a massive lawsuit, and prolly still open to huge liabilities.

I dunno, but i think them helping out Talley prolly sets a precedent they do not want to set...

I can see a foundation they run or something like that helping out, but i just cannot see the Pegulas personally, or acting on behalf of the Bills doing anything publicly here.

Please dont be disappointed...the league is in the middle of a massive lawsuit, and prolly still open to huge liabilities.

I dunno, but i think them helping out Talley prolly sets a precedent they do not want to set...

I can see a foundation they run or something like that helping out, but i just cannot see the Pegulas personally, or acting on behalf of the Bills doing anything publicly here.

sigh. You may be right but sometimes people surprise you. And the Pegulas are the new kids in town. Maybe, just maybe, they will will be different (and care more about people than money...I know I know....stop laughing) sigh.

I appreciate the efforts of those starting up fund(s) already but I THINK more can be done if this is set up more "officially". Having

said that, I am not sure how that is actually done. For me, for example, I would love it if Jill Kelly ran the fund calling it, say, the "Jim Kelly Tough for Daryl" fund.

If you want to do something, give some $ to the fund that ChevyVanMiller set up. There are lots of other ways to do it but the fact is that here is an opportunity to do SOMETHING rather than sit back and wait until something "official" comes along which may or may not ever happen.

And let's leave the Kellys alone, haven't they endured enough and given enough back to the team and community?

Hats off to ChevyVanMiller for this initiative. I decided to put my money where my mouth is (for a change) and I hope all of you will do the same.

If you want to do something, give some $ to the fund that ChevyVanMiller set up. There are lots of other ways to do it but the fact is that here is an opportunity to do SOMETHING rather than sit back and wait until something "official" comes along which may or may not ever happen.

And let's leave the Kellys alone, haven't they endured enough and given enough back to the team and community?

Hats off to ChevyVanMiller for this initiative. I decided to put my money where my mouth is (for a change) and I hope all of you will do the same.

I will if that is the best way to help. Thanks.

1417080445[/url]' post='3351055']

A fund for someone who got his brains beat out so you could watch games for free on television and criticize his ass when he missed a tackle or didn't do what you're sure you would have done if only you were out there...

YES, INDEED

I agree. I recommend that anyone who lacks empathy for what DT is experiencing going through read the book, "League of Denial". He's not the only ex-player experiencing a hellish existence because of all the hits he took to the head. Go read about Mike Webster and Junior Seau. It's horrible.

Edited by Golden Wheels

This was speculated by Bruce Smith at the end of the article...

"...The Bills declined to comment on Smith’s frustrations. Smith conceded the Bills could be in an awkward spot by assisting one former player but not all of them."

Just want to say that I respect everyone's opinions on what is the best thing to do to help Darryl. I appreciate DCTom's suggestion that maybe Darryl would reject any fan donations. I have reached out to his wife and will update when I hear back.

I am one of the most calculated people you will ever meet. I don't do anything in a knee-jerk fashion, yet when I read this story late last night as I was preparing to spend today giving thanks for all that I have it truly broke my heart. I decided to start the fund because I thought of Robin Williams and how so many people said, "Had we known he was suffering we would have done something."

Then I thought of Junior Seau and I prayed that we never wake up and read such terrible news about Darryl. I thought that by agreeing to the Buffalo News article Talley was giving us a cry for help. Not for money, per se, but to let people know he is truly hurting.

As a proud man myself, I know how hard it must have been for him to show even the slightest bit of weakness publicly.

Anyway, if you donate you have my eternal thanks. If the fund reaches it's goal and Darryl and his family refuse the money I will make sure that all donations are returned.

PS - Mike Lodish reached out to me to say that Darryl believed in him when many others didn't and he will help his old teammate anyway that he can.

Edited by ChevyVanMiller

Actually, I had the opposite reaction. I am glad he included that comment, and, if anybody read the whole article (getting the impression that isn't the case), Talley did backtrack on the comment. Graham included it, because he painting a portrait of Talley, and part of that portrait is pride...Talley's comments about suicide/cowards was very prideful...but the fact that he is admitting he has those thoughts just shows you how rough this situation is. Why does everyone need to interject BS into everything?

I take it you have never owned a business or at least not a legitimate one.

The dude cashed in his 401K trying to save his business. Most successful entrepreneurs I know (and I know a ****-ton of them) would have risked almost anything to make their business succeed. That is why so many business people go broke and bankrupt. Your business is as close to your as your spouse or your children.

I don't fault him one bit for that move. You won't admit it, but if you knew what it was truly like to be in his shoes, there is a really good chance you would have made that very same financial mistake.

I agree. Worked all my life and my wife worked all her life and our combined monthly ss benefits are less than his and we made less money in our lifetime than he did. So while I feel very sorry for his current medical situation, there's very little I can do to help in that regard. I also don't think it makes sense for someone to give money to someone who is better off financially than they are.

I like this idea and was just wondering: what happened to the fund that people put together to keep the Bills in Bflo? Could that fund be set up as a foundation to help players? IMO and I know that doesn't mean much, it would be great if that fund could go to help players that the team didn't/wouldn't for whatever reason, who are having troubles like this. DT may be one of the best known but I am sure there are others in this boat.

I like this idea and was just wondering: what happened to the fund that people put together to keep the Bills in Bflo? Could that fund be set up as a foundation to help players? IMO and I know that doesn't mean much, it would be great if that fund could go to help players that the team didn't/wouldn't for whatever reason, who are having troubles like this. DT may be one of the best known but I am sure there are others in this boat.

That is an excellent idea..a fund by the fans to help these players after they have given so much to us...they are part of our family and the fabric that is Buffalo...this would be almost unprecedented in sports and says exactly what Buffalo is about...once a Bill, always a Bill

I agree. Worked all my life and my wife worked all her life and our combined monthly ss benefits are less than his and we made less money in our lifetime than he did. So while I feel very sorry for his current medical situation, there's very little I can do to help in that regard. I also don't think it makes sense for someone to give money to someone who is better off financially than they are.

I donated and I'm between jobs. What you say is true, but he is not better off than us. The medical help he needs is hugely expensive and his diminished capacity to work, hell his capacity to just walk and sit, is life changing and brutal. He needs a lot more help than this little fund can provide, but it's a way for fans to say we remember what you gave to this team and we are thinking of you. I'm a big believer in personal responsibility but DT's situation is a personal devastation you can't plan for, particularly in the era he played. I don't dismiss your reasons, just wanted to explain mine. Thanksgiving just got a bit more poignant for me.

Wow I love this guy. I know how hard times can feel and I don't want someone who was and STILL is bleeding red white and blue going through SOME (Non football related) of the same struggles I went through , so maybe I can help. Keep your head up Darryl!

This .

and yes i did too.

the site is getting rolling eleven hours in and i am proud to be a small part of it

I don't post a ton here but felt the need to let people know you can actually donate directly to DT via a service called ChangeTip. This isn't meant to be a plug, just wanted to inform people there's a way to send money directly to DT via Twitter.

You can see my tips on twitter at @josephjpeters.

Just a quick update, Channel 2 was just out and did a feature piece that will run at 6 pm.

Also, Charles Pellien from Bills Fan Thunder (they organized the Ban Bon Jovi movement) is partnering in and will organize a Talley Benefit. The monies can be channeled through his 501C3 so that all of the Go Fund Me money can go to Darryl tax free.

Over $10,000 and counting, thank you all.

PS- I mentioned Two Bills Drive heavily in the interview, hope it makes the air.

I think it's great we are doing this. My bufalo pride in me can see the props our community will get in helping Darryl so swiftly. Whether it goes to bills, restore college funds, whatever. I'm happy to help.

I would normally feel like a schmuck helping out a pro athlete like this... but this is a special case. Darryl talley like no other humanizes what we want to see in our beloved teams. He was a warrior and paid a huge price for it. The guy from afar has been in our corner.

If former teammates are so concerned... it's definitely the real deal here. I can totally sympathize with his busineas losses too. It's not like he blew his money on 30 high end cars and a 14 million dollar home.

I'm hoping pegula sees this as a special situation and a huge opportunity to make a happy story here. Help Darryl get treatment and support. Find a position for him... Some kind of bills dignitary or something. I don't think this sets a precedent because the severity of this and also who the victim is. If the nfl has an issue with it they can pound it