So how would you like having a Ford Field in downtown Buffalo?

PromoTheRobot

I have suspected for awhile that a permanent brick and mortar amphitheater by the waterfront will be a reality in the next 5 years or so.

That would be nice. I have wondered why Klienhans isn't used much anymore. The best acoustics of any small venue in Buffalo.

Yes there is

Concerts, Conventions, NCAA tournaments, College bowl game possibly.

You can do it. Just involves outside the box thinking.

Why Do you need a dome for concerts? Acts play rain or shine. The Ralph has sat empty for a long time. the reaon is clear. $$$$

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What home field advantage do we have now? The

No what made Buffalo great back in the early 90's was having about 10 future hall of famers on the roster. Noone wanted to play the Bills in Buffalo because they were really good. Just like noone wants to play New England in Foxboro now because they are really good. What is Brady like 83-14 in his career at home. Amazing.

Thank you. The "weather myth" has become a bit overblown since the good ole days. Sure they might have embraced the cold, but talent wins out 10 out of 10 times. And if the players loved it so much, the fans really didn't.

Most fail to remember the Comeback Game was a black-out because it was a damp, rainy/slushy/crappy day.

As for a new stadium, retractable all the way. All games would be played with the roof open to cut back on electricity bills to allow for natural lighting. Boom, problem solved.

Whether domed or not, I just hope any new stadium is in downtown Buffalo. Suburban locations have run their course, and a downtown stadium appears to fit better with Pegula's Buffalo revitalization agenda.

Totally agree. I'm already looking forward 5-6 years and thinking about what a great "destination" Buffalo will be during football and hockey season. You won't even need a car if you're visiting.

I don't like domes for football... I like that it's played in just about whatever weather is happening. It makes the game more interesting.

That being said, if they want to use the stadium for anything other than football, it needs to be a dome, or retractable. And we all know, if it's retractable, it's going to be closed during bad/cold weather.

Not 100% certain that would be the case. I think it could be open for cold and moderate snow, but closed for sure for rain. Being wet at a Bills game is horrible.

Yes there is

Concerts, Conventions, NCAA tournaments, College bowl game possibly.

You can do it. Just involves outside the box thinking.

No there's not. Rare regional NCAA stops or bowl games will contribute pennies to the pot. Ditto "concerts"... How many stadium shows even exist any more, and why would they come to a new stadium when they wouldn't go to the old stadium?

Conventions? Go check out the Lucas Field schedule of events. I posted on this months ago. It is filled with events of fewer than 5,00 attendees, with few exceptions.

No to arena football. Cold and snow used to be an advantage for us. We need to build a team to take advantage late in the season. Kelly was a PA kid who knew how play in the elements. I loved the cold weather games. I'm actually hating S. Florida for the weather!

For those of you saying open air, or no to an indoor stadium. I can tell you with out any hesitation, your going to get one. And not a retractable roof, but one very similar to Locus Oil Field.

Sorry to be the messenger, but it's already been decided.

To the bolded, this is incorrect. It does all but seal the deal on Super Bowls in Buffalo. I happen to know for a fact that will happen. Sorry to burst your bubble.

"It does all but seal the deal on Super Bowls in Buffalo. I happen to know for a fact that will happen" OK, I'll play along. To the bolded, I want to see a link to show this as fact. I guess we should just take your word on this, right?!?!

No to arena football. Cold and snow used to be an advantage for us. We need to build a team to take advantage late in the season. Kelly was a PA kid who knew how play in the elements. I loved the cold weather games. I'm actually hating S. Florida for the weather!

Or you build a team that has talent and the QB does not have to worry about swirling winds, heavy rains, snow. NO TEAM HAS AN ADVANTAGE in snow, wind. The wind picks up when Manning throws a pass and it is picked. Orton throws a pass appears to be perfect the wind picks it up and sails it 10-15 yards over the WR head.

0 advantage. That myth has grown so much because fans (Not saying you) like to drunkenly dance with their shirts off in the snow to get their 15 seconds of fame. The players hate playing in the cold.

What made Buffalo great in the 90 playoffs was having an ice bowl for the Raiders, and teams didn't want to play in Buffalo at the end of the season.

Bruce, Talley, and a lot of the players wouldn't even wear arm warmers during those cold playoff games.

Anyway, I'd rather a retractable now.

The reason why the Bills were dominant is because THEY WERE THE BETTER TEAM. There is little advantage for the Bills considering they practice all week long in the field house. I know some fans like to believe is it an advantage when it is blizzard conditions out there, but I cannot disagree more with this premise.

There is a 0% chance that the new stadium doesn't have a roof. It's about money not shirtless maniacs. My guess would be that it isn't retractable just from a money standpoint but it's possible. If I had to put percentages to it I would say 65% roof, 35% retractable and 0% open air.

our owner just paid $500 million more than what the dolphins sold for not too long ago. if you think its about money you're wrong.

Pegula could pay for a new stadium himself on what he makes in interest over just a few years.

0% chance its a dome. retractable roof maybe, I sure hope not. they have a sun/shade line on the field that is annoying.

our owner just paid $500 million more than what the dolphins sold for not too long ago. if you think its about money you're wrong.

Pegula could pay for a new stadium himself on what he makes in interest over just a few years.

0% chance its a dome. retractable roof maybe, I sure hope not. they have a sun/shade line on the field that is annoying.

If you think Pegula is going to just "Not care" About money you are wrong. No sensible person is going to do something that in the long run could cost them millions of dollars in revenue.

The reason why the Bills were dominant is because THEY WERE THE BETTER TEAM. There is little advantage for the Bills considering they practice all week long in the field house. I know some fans like to believe is it an advantage when it is blizzard conditions out there, but I cannot disagree more with this premise.

There was a time when "cold" was an advantage. It's not anymore. This isn't the era of the Ice Bowl or famous Chargers/Bengals playoff game. Players aren't cold just because of the temperature anymore the equipment has been improved greatly in that regard to the point where with mild activity a player isn't really cold in temps in the teens. The other elements....wind and precipitation do not really provide an advantage just because you practice in it. You can try to build a roster to maximize your ability in such situations but the truth is that dome teams/warm weather teams don't build themselves small anymore either. Everyone is trying to be big, physical and athletic at nearly every position.

It's 5% other events and 95% appealing to a more corporate audience. It will 100% have a roof. As I understand, that isn't even being debated.

Every one of those places was built over 10 years ago. Lucas Oil and Ford Field are supposedly the models that the Bills will follow.

Metlife stadium is open air in the biggest market and was built in 2010.

Edited by A Dog Named Kelso

Retractable roof = dome. How often do you see teams with retractable roof actually play with it open? Very rarely.

This. Maybe it'll be open on a nice September day, but at the first hint of cold, snow, rain, that roof will be closed.