So how would you like having a Ford Field in downtown Buffalo?

PromoTheRobot

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you really think the NFL wants to host a Superbowl in Buffalo? Maybe, if Buffalo sucks enough NFL c#@k, and pays WAY too much money, they might get considered for a SB one day. Doubtful, but possible I suppose. Your use of the plural (Super Bowls) makes me laugh.

Has New England ever hosted a Super Bowl? Not yet. But with a fairly new open air stadium in the northeast, the infrastructure to support the influx of visitors, and the recent success of Super Bowl XLVIII, anything is possible. Read this: http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/02/04/super-bowl-seemed-clear-way-for-boston-host/mo9agazxKabp4u8iv7bxMP/story.html

I'm all for a dome as long as it's retractable and open for every game regardless of weather because football is meant to be played outdoors. They can close it for protection from the elements and NCAA Tournament.

This would be perfect. I've been to a number of games at the Carrier Dome and can't stand it. Outdoor football is sooooo much better.

But, the problem is there are a bunch of literal fair weather fans (mostly women, I believe) who will come to Sept and Oct games, but not late Nov and Dec.

So it sucks but I think we need to have a dome. I hate it, though!

I would prefer it to be a retractable roof, but I'm not as anti-Dome as I once was.

you add a retractable roof and you add 200-250 million to the coast of a stadium.

Ford filed is great but do we want to become what Minnesota became? A team that loses it's northern edge?

Personally, if you can make a stadium that can host other events, final four, big conventions, concerts, super bowl (dare I say), etc then I'm all for it. The building needs to be flexible and in use 20-30 days a year outside of football. too much money for 10 calendar dates of usage.

The only real benefit as a football fan for a roof is that we would host some superbowls in Buffalo. Is it really worth that?

Superbowls bring a lot of income to local businesses and there is potential for other non-football related events to be held at a domed/retractable roof stadium during the cooler months.

A retractable roof stadium would be a good compromise for return in investment and keeping those southerners in unfavorable conditions.

phoenix_580.jpg1328308629-09454-127.jpg

reliant08950.jpg1255535605-09720-072.jpg

I don't know. Retractable roofs look ugly to me, and are loads more expensive. I would prefer either one way or the other. If I had to make a choice, I would prefer the unobstructed views of the sky with Arizona's and Houston's retractable domes though.

Edited by What a Tuel

On gr they mentioned the concept of an open air bowl but all the concourses etc enclosed sort of like Kelly club etc. this way if ya wanna sit in cold outside ya can but if ya want to escape elements ya can. Not sure how that would work but if it had enough covered space easily hold conventions etc. I want something unique that can attract Super Bowls, final fours etc but also provide the open air feel

Some of my best memories in 25 years as a season ticket holder are the "bad" weather games, e.g., Raiders, Jets. I'd feel sorry for a young Bills fan who never got to experience that. Then again, I enjoy sitting motionless in tree stands for much of the fall, so I may not speak for everybody. :lol:

I now line in Indy, Domes suck the fun out of football. Retractable roof lends to a open air feel in the early months of the season. Colts fans are very passionate. I am still old school and favor open air stadiums. Either way a stadium in downtown Buffalo will be a boon.

A boon? To exactly whom? Other than the stimulus of the original construction. The construction trade people building it. Property owners selling their land for it? Parking garage owners? Fans who live closer / in the city who don't have to drive as far? Check reality. Building stadiums does not mean real income from other events from groups coming to the area. Name a place where income from outside events exceeded the cost of building and maintaining the stadium? Even with a state of the art covered stadium, what else are you going to offer to bring additional people/groups to Buffalo for their events that other areas don't have? Especially from September to May?

A boon? To exactly whom? Other than the stimulus of the original construction. The construction trade people building it. Property owners selling their land for it? Parking garage owners? Fans who live closer / in the city who don't have to drive as far? Check reality. Building stadiums does not mean real income from other events from groups coming to the area. Name a place where income from outside events exceeded the cost of building and maintaining the stadium? Even with a state of the art covered stadium, what else are you going to offer to bring additional people/groups to Buffalo for their events that other areas don't have? Especially from September to May?

AT&T Stadium

Honestly, I wouldn't hate it. The Mrs. and I were discussing it. It would take a huge chunk of the personality out of Bills football, yes. On the other hand, it would be nice from a comfort perspective. We aren't really "old" but those late season games aren't getting any easier.

A retractable roof really would be the best of both worlds. Nothing beats a WNY fall day.

When you think about some of the best stadiums, most historic in the NFL, who do you think about? Soldier field, Lambau, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, KC? Even Raider nation.

If we build a retractable stadium, that is a fair compromise. I would hate to lose Buffalo's character. We haven't had a storm like this in 40 years, nd we have not filled the stadium not because of the weather, but because we haven't had a winning product in 15 years.

We had no problems filling a bigger stadium (prior to renovations when we wnpent from 82,000 to 73,000) in our playoff years.

I'm cool with a retractable stadium as we get to choose when we want open vs. closed. It would also be even louder than now which is saying something.

That is not true. We got 8 feet of snow back in 2001. I think it was more spread out over like a 5 day period but it was there. It was towards the end of December. With that being said the weather get over played here. Of the 5 home games that have been played here this year there really has not been one bad weather home game. This is usually the case each year. Our weather in the fall is actually the perfect weather for football. The only reason I would want to put a dome in is so we could attract other events such as an NCAA Tournament Regionals or Final 4, Super Bowl etc.... That maybe a pipe dream but who knows. A ton of stuff is happening downtown. Other then that I would prefer an open air stadium. You could say retractable roof but it would be a wasted as I bet if there is even a hint of rain or the temp is below 65 they would keep the roof closed. It would be closed 90% of the games.

What made Buffalo great in the 90 playoffs was having an ice bowl for the Raiders, and teams didn't want to play in Buffalo at the end of the season.

Bruce, Talley, and a lot of the players wouldn't even wear arm warmers during those cold playoff games.

Anyway, I'd rather a retractable now.

you add a retractable roof and you add 200-250 million to the coast of a stadium.

Ford filed is great but do we want to become what Minnesota became? A team that loses it's northern edge?

Personally, if you can make a stadium that can host other events, final four, big conventions, concerts, super bowl (dare I say), etc then I'm all for it. The building needs to be flexible and in use 20-30 days a year outside of football. too much money for 10 calendar dates of usage.

What home field advantage do we have now? The

What made Buffalo great in the 90 playoffs was having an ice bowl for the Raiders, and teams didn't want to play in Buffalo at the end of the season.

Bruce, Talley, and a lot of the players wouldn't even wear arm warmers during those cold playoff games.

Anyway, I'd rather a retractable now.

No what made Buffalo great back in the early 90's was having about 10 future hall of famers on the roster. Noone wanted to play the Bills in Buffalo because they were really good. Just like noone wants to play New England in Foxboro now because they are really good. What is Brady like 83-14 in his career at home. Amazing.

Domes are terrible.

As someone said, retractable = dome in terms of engineering design and ambiance, even when the roof is open. I.E., it sucks.

Domes are for pansies.

When you have a fan base like we have in Buffalo, you have a real open air stadium. Period!

Oh you mean a fan base that has trouble selling December games? Dating back to when the Bills were good?

I dont know where that comes from. Hmmm do I want to sit in sub freezing temperatures for 3.5 hours or do I want to sit in a comfortable 65 degrees. I think I know what my answer is. If that makes me a "Wuss" then so be it.

Also there is NO MORE ADVANTAGE for the Bills to play in bad weather. most of the players hate it.