So how would you like having a Ford Field in downtown Buffalo?

PromoTheRobot

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should get a job at the Chamber of Commerce. Love that attitude.

You know Bills fans used to bring grills and kegs into the old War Memorial Stadium. That ended and somehow Bills football survives. I think it's okay to at least move into the 2000's.

What? What are you talking about? Are you suggesting you dislike the tailgating environment at Bills games? Are you suggesting that an old fashioned game-day experience in an open-aired stadium should give way to a modern day, corporate driven experience where ticket prices sky rocket in the name of "sophistication" or God knows what?

What the hell are you saying!?

You don't obviously.

Right, the privileged class that attends Superbowls want to truck through snow and winter cold from a hotel room in Toronto to go see the Superbowl in Buffalo, NY.

Jesus Christ.

Been to Ford Field as well as many other domes. It's just not where football was meant to be played. Seems basement like. Not a fan. Play in open air and deal with the elements.

THIS. Somehow this sentiment is being distorted here into a "Buffalo will be the next Superbowl host if only we build a dome."

WTF?

I now line in Indy, Domes suck the fun out of football. Retractable roof lends to a open air feel in the early months of the season. Colts fans are very passionate. I am still old school and favor open air stadiums. Either way a stadium in downtown Buffalo will be a boon.

Edited by Nitro

What? What are you talking about? Are you suggesting you dislike the tailgating environment at Bills games? Are you suggesting that an old fashioned game-day experience in an open-aired stadium should give way to a modern day, corporate driven experience where ticket prices sky rocket in the name of "sophistication" or God knows what?

What the hell are you saying!?

Right, the privileged class that attends Superbowls want to truck through snow and winter cold from a hotel room in Toronto to go see the Superbowl in Buffalo, NY.

Jesus Christ.

THIS. Somehow this sentiment is being distorted here into a "Buffalo will be the next Superbowl host if only we build a dome."

WTF?

The privileged class doesn't care about driving. They hire someone to drive if need be. Who says the weather is bad anyways? Just because it snowed in November, there is a guaranteed snowstorm for the superbowl?

The privileged class doesn't care about driving. They hire someone to drive if need be. Who says the weather is bad anyways? Just because it snowed in November, there is a guaranteed snowstorm for the superbowl?

'

Oh my god. Come on man. Come back to reality. Please.

Where does this Superbowl talk even come from?

WTF? We are all Bills fans. We are hearty souls. Aren't we? What? You want to turn yourself into the prima donna crowd in a corporate driven world where ticket prices are out of control and hostesses bring you a beer at your seat for $20? So as to what? Pretend that Buffalo, NY is a big city?

It isn't.

Rather than pretend the area is something that it is not, you should cherish it for what it is and what it offers. Thumb your noses at the NFL world and carry on as the old school destination of choice, in the Lambeau Field mold...and enjoy an honest, genuine, old school, legitimate game day experience!

WTF!?

It's 2014, STP. Sorry the 90's had to end.

Wow, you just don't get it. That's OK!

'

Oh my god. Come on man. Come back to reality. Please.

Where does this Superbowl talk even come from?

WTF? We are all Bills fans. We are hearty souls. Aren't we? What? You want to turn yourself into the prima donna crowd in a corporate driven world where ticket prices are out of control and hostesses bring you a beer at your seat for $20? So as to what? Pretend that Buffalo, NY is a big city?

It isn't.

Rather than pretend the area is something that it is not, you should cherish it for what it is and what it offers. Thumb your noses at the NFL world and carry on as the old school destination of choice, in the Lambeau Field mold...and enjoy an honest, genuine, old school, legitimate game day experience!

WTF!?

Read my posts. I'm against any sort of roof. It appeases to the casuals and the corporates. The only benefit I see is hosting a superbowl. I would love to got to that game in my lifetime but overall I don't think that outweighs my love for an open air stadium.

so nobody answered my question?

Has any team gone open air to dome in recent memory?

I did think of one: Arizona Cardinals. They played in a scorching inferno of a stadium and went to a really cool dome. It's bright, airy, etc. That's a nice stadium.

Given the Bills tradition, given the fact that Pittsburgh, Philly, Boston, New York, Cleveland, Chicago, Green Bay, and Cincinnati have open air stadiums that have been built or seriously upgraded recently I don't see how it's "obvious" that the Bills will go from a tradition of open air, snowy football games to a dome.

I'm not saying it will not happen, but open air would be cheaper (which will matter), more in keeping with tradition, and lines up with what the guy who will be paying the money for it wants.

As far as pressure from the NFL goes... Not happening. They want a new stadium. There is NO pressure to make sure it is closed. They just played a winter Super Bowl LAST YEAR for the first time in decades!

And Buffalo hosting a Super Bowl would be cool and all but it is a LONG SHOT and no reason to completely change the gameday experience forever.

I wouldn't be totally against a dome or anything but I would prefer it be open. I think Pittsburgh is a good model for the Bills. Reduce the capacity and field a winning team and you can charge more.

Edited by TheFunPolice

Read my posts. I'm against any sort of roof. It appeases to the casuals and the corporates. The only benefit I see is hosting a superbowl. I would love to got to that game in my lifetime but overall I don't think that outweighs my love for an open air stadium.

Sorry to have misunderstood you.

This is fair and you are touching on the reason the stadium will have a roof. "It appeases to the casuals and the corporates." That is who EVERY team in EVERY sport is trying to attract. Edited by Kirby Jackson

I'd be fine with a dome. If we had one already chances are this game would've been at home today.

Yes chances - slim and none.

A dome would likely have collapsed and roads were still not cleared, parking lots cleared, etc.

The only benefit to a dome in Buffalo is a superbowl is guaranteed to being played here. I don't see any other benefit but to appease casual football fans since there was a big snow storm in Buffalo in which a dome wouldn't matter anyways.

Exactly. Most of those advocating a dome would not be paying for it (like other teams in league) or would complain about the price rises to tickets, PSL, parking, etc.

This is fair and you are touching on the reason the stadium will have a roof. "It appeases to the casuals and the corporates." That is who EVERY team in EVERY sport is trying to attract.

I don't think anyone disagrees with your assertion here. But I didn't think this is what the theme of this thread was. I thought the issue was what YOU want to see as a Bills fan.

Edited by Stopthepain

Just to be clear building a stadium with a roof in no ways guarantees a Super Bowl. The city is really far from meeting the requirements in terms of cabs and hotel rooms. There are lots and lots of "requests" that the NFL makes. I highly doubt that a Super Bowl will ever be played in Buffalo (although a Final Four seems plausible).

I don't think anyone disagrees with your assertion here. But I didn't think this is what the theme of this thread was. I thought the issue was what YOU want to see as a Bills fan.

Oh, I apologize then. I'm totally indifferent in terms of the new stadium as long as it is nice. I am sure that it will be. I went to the Houston game and would be thrilled if it was anything like that.

For those of you saying open air, or no to an indoor stadium. I can tell you with out any hesitation, your going to get one. And not a retractable roof, but one very similar to Locus Oil Field.

Sorry to be the messenger, but it's already been decided.

Just to be clear building a stadium with a roof in no ways guarantees a Super Bowl. The city is really far from meeting the requirements in terms of cabs and hotel rooms. There are lots and lots of "requests" that the NFL makes. I highly doubt that a Super Bowl will ever be played in Buffalo (although a Final Four seems plausible).

Oh, I apologize then. I'm totally indifferent in terms of the new stadium as long as it is nice. I am sure that it will be. I went to the Houston game and would be thrilled if it was anything like that.

To the bolded, this is incorrect. It does all but seal the deal on Super Bowls in Buffalo. I happen to know for a fact that will happen. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Either way a new stadium will be amazing...

I just don't see the pressure for a roof being there. Has there ever been a new roofed/dome stadium that did NOT host a Super Bowl? IMO that is a major reason it's done. You can sell the taxpayers on the economic windfall from the Super Bowl being in town. Since that is out of the question for quite some time here, that is less of an issue.

It would almost certainly be a smaller stadium than RWS. Soldier Field (in a MUCH larger city) holds 63,500. Heinz Field holds 65,500. Ralph Wilson Stadium currently holds 71,857.

When the Bills are 6,000 tickets short of a sellout Heinz would be full.

IMO Pittsburgh is the perfect model for Buffalo's new stadium. Not a ton of frills, but a nice, solid, football stadium. You could have it hold 64,000 and charge more per ticket.

There is no market here for Jerry Dome II, IMO. You could probably get something close to what the Steelers get, though.

For those of you saying open air, or no to an indoor stadium. I can tell you with out any hesitation, your going to get one. And not a retractable roof, but one very similar to Locus Oil Field.

To the bolded, this is incorrect. It does all but seal the deal on Super Bowls in Buffalo. I happen to know for a fact that will happen. Sorry to burst your bubble.

That's quite the statement.

Hey, IF it means a Buffalo Super Bowl then that would be amazing!

It's a little sad to think of the Bills being at a disadvantage playing in the winter in New England* but I guess it's better than not having a team at all!

So you're saying it's going to be open air, not a retractable roof, but similar to lucas oil, which is a retractable roof that is almost always closed? Got it.

So you're saying it's going to be open air, not a retractable roof, but similar to lucas oil, which is a retractable roof that is almost always closed? Got it.

I think he means that it will be closed like Lucas Oil

IF it is anywhere near the lake downtown then closed is probably for the best. Being down there in the winter is absolutely miserable.